The other sports thread

Eleven

Scary where we get our jury members from. Iv always been in favor of a panel of judges instead if a jury. People jump to conclusions with zero evidence

Your perception of how judges/juries judge evidence relative to one another is off. Most defendants are actually much better served by a jury trial.

This McIlroy character is going to be a force. Personally, I hope he breaks Nicklaus's record and Tiger doesn't.

He's getting better and better. I wouldn't go this far, but one ESPN golf "expert" said that McIlroy at his best is the best golfer of all-time. But I still disagree with any notion that Tiger isn't the best ever. He was winning tournaments by 15 strokes when he was a teenager.

Edited by Tankalicious

Best golf at any given time I believe to be a debatable topic. 2000-2006 tiger is probably the best streak ever. But best golf career, that's indisputable at the moment. Jack had the best career ever, and even Tiger is a couple of years of great golf away from even getting his name in the discussion.

IMO tiger is pretty much washed up, ever since the incident, his play has been bad, and he's had injuries as well.... Fowler and Mickelson were really battling it out yesterday and I was rooting for the lefty, however after. McIlroy nailed that Eagle he hit a zone and he was going to win.

it was a pretty bizarre ending last night with the darkness and etc

You're right. I shouldn't go as far as to say that he knew what he was doing. I will stand by the concept that he acted recklessly. The kid did, too, but Stewart acted recklessly with a loaded gun.

I really would like to know how Stewart was reckless in this situation. I've watched the video a handful of times. The driver in front of him swerves last second missing the kid, and Tony is up the track a little higher. I really don't think Stewart saw him until the last second and had an "oh Sh!t" accelerate to try to avoid moment. I don't race them though so I can't say with certainty that's what happened. I really don't think there was any intent. The kid was an idiot was running down the freaking track.

Also, dirt track racing is Tony's passion. I know a lot of guys here in the finger lakes area that are dirt track junkies. That's all they do with their weekends in the summer. Many of them have raced Tony before, and they said it was awesome.

lastly, Stewart should most definitely not be suspended the remainder of the season if there was no intent. That's just asinine. It was accident (until proven otherwise) caused by a hot headed 20 year old not thinking the situation through.

Lastly I was glad to see McIlroy win the tourney. He deserved that one.

My posts from TBD:

Ward made a poor decision. Unless he confesses, no one will know what Stewart was thinking and if he was trying brush back Ward. If he was shame on him for being that reckless. That said, unless he incriminates himself, I don't see how it's criminal.

Based on history, this level of shadiness doesn't seem too far fetched.

Right. Some people think TS went out of his way to not avoid him. Even as far as to scare him a bit and intimidate him. I'm on the fence but Stewart's insatiable appetite for being angry has led people to a conclusion. Justifiably so or not. TS has been a bad dude with anger issues and confrontations his whole career. He lost the benefit of the doubt with his previous actions.

I still don't think it will be a criminal case but Stewart has to live with his actions. For humanity's sake, I hope you are right.

My posts from TBD:

Ward made a poor decision. Unless he confesses, no one will know what Stewart was thinking and if he was trying brush back Ward. If he was shame on him for being that reckless. That said, unless he incriminates himself, I don't see how it's criminal.

Right. Some people think TS went out of his way to not avoid him. Even as far as to scare him a bit and intimidate him. I'm on the fence but Stewart's insatiable appetite for being angry has led people to a conclusion. Justifiably so or not. TS has been a bad dude with anger issues and confrontations his whole career. He lost the benefit of the doubt with his previous actions.

I still don't think it will be a criminal case but Stewart has to live with his actions. For humanity's sake, I hope you are right.

This is where I'm at, but with a little more of a lean towards him being reckless. I do think he acted recklessly, but I am not saying he meant to hit/kill the kid.

I've been to several dirt track races. Unless your car is on fire, you don't get out. You definitely don't walk across the track. Those tracks are short and usual after a few lap there are cars spaced out the entire length of the track. I won't be watching the video out of respect but leaving your car on a dirt track, very poor decision.

My posts from TBD:

Brush? Doubtful. Giving the kid a dirt-shower? Maybe. And maybe is the strongest way to say "probably" with absolutely no evidence or mind-reading.

Wow racing fans everywhere coming to Stewarts defense. Fans are fans I guess but they aren't listening to the other side of the argument at all.

As a non-racing fan, my best understanding from talking to the guys who race here (the track is less than a mile from my house, I could hear the race) is that what the kid did was so stupid it almost completely absolves TS of culpability.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

Ward was an idiot for going out there, but if people think Stewart meant to scare or brush him or whatever, he has nobody to blame but himself since such conclusions are based in large part on his own past conduct.

It has to be based 100% on that because Stewart can be seen in that video for maybe a second. I don't know how people can draw a conclusion from that.

I'm trying to focus on the positive, and just be happy for all the Schadenfreude Joy this is bringing to so many:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/08/15/notre-dame-football-reportedly-investigating-four-players-for-academic-fraud/

At least the school is trying to do the right thing. I just wish it wasn't the #1 WR and #1 CB 2 weeks before the season starts...

Dear ESPN: How many people care about Johnny Manziel flipping off his opponents? Many, many fewer than you think. Please stop already.

And the announcers will try not to use the "R" word ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nfl/simms-dungy-will-try-not-to-use-redskins-on-tv-1.2739908

I don't like oversensitivity , ###### over all good traditions.

Like we have with our "Zwarte piet", yeah ###### me he is black because he comes down the chimney. Its not like we are depicting africans (well suppose we could get rid of the frizzled hairstyle, allthough i mostly remember in my town people wearing coloured hats).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

What makes things worse is the true origin of st nicholas, is christianity taking stuff from Odin, " black peter" replaced his black ravens.

People often base things of racism instead of looking at the true origin of something.

Like we have with our "Zwarte piet", yeah ###### me he is black because he comes down the chimney. Its not like we are depicting africans (well suppose we could get rid of the frizzled hairstyle, allthough i mostly remember in my town people wearing coloured hats).

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Zwarte_Piet

What makes things worse is the true origin of st nicholas, is christianity taking stuff from Odin, " black peter" replaced his black ravens.

People often base things of racism instead of looking at the true origin of something.

The original 1850 story was entitled "St. Nicholas and his servant" and you're honestly going to write that he's not supposed to depict a black boy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

The true origins of the R***kins name is based in racism... If that's what you're getting at.