The other sports thread

Eleven

ESPN quickly becoming E!, if it hasn't already. NBC Sports has a legit shot at taking a huge chunk of viewership simply by actually reporting on sports.

I'll agree on that one. I used to watch ESPN sportscenter pretty regularly, but everytime I have it on now it is generally a long discussion piece on Lebron, Manziel etc. and not scores and highlights. As a sports fan that does not care much about the NBA (or 'bouncy ball' as it is lovingly referred to around here), and doesn't need 24/7 NFL discussion, I have found myself going to the MLB Network and NHL Network for their highlight shows that surprisingly actually show highlights.

I tried Fox Sports for a while as an alternative to Sportscenter, but their quality wasn't up to par when they first started.

Really? I'd have bet that no one outside of Cleveland, Bristol, and maybe College Station cares.

Yes. I work a summer job with younger kids, and that was the first thing they wanted to talk about today. I don't like what ESPN has become, but I do think they do a pretty good job crafting stories and shows their viewers want. There's a reason Numbers Never Lie became First Take in all but name, while Outside the Lines style shows haven't become more prominent.

It's not useless for coaches and teams. But for fans? Yes useless.

I disagree with this, even. I enjoy seeing the draft picks that may not get a lot of action during the regular season and watching position battles develop on the field.

My best attempt at a from-memory transcript of part of the 8th inning of tonights Orioles game between the members of the Orioles Radio team:

[White Sox catcher, Tyler Flowers, gets hit in the crotch with a pitch and goes down to the dirt, on-field delay while the Sox trainer comes out form the dugout]

Joe Angel: And Tyler was just DE-flowered

Fred Manfra: He got hit where NO MAN wants to be hit

[Trainer heads back to the dugout]

Joe Angel: So, Fred, what's the count.

Fred Manfra: 2 Balls

Joe Angel: You sure?

[a good 45 seconds of two men in their 60s giggling uncontrollably]

Baseball announcers are hilarious.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

I don't get all these preseason games, couldn't this time be used to expand the season and play more games ?

The way the nfl goes, it doesn't seem fair some teams don't meet in the regular season.

So if every team needs to meet once over the course of the season, you're asking for at least a 31 week season. That would be hell on earth for any of the players.

I don't get all these preseason games, couldn't this time be used to expand the season and play more games ?

The way the nfl goes, it doesn't seem fair some teams don't meet in the regular season.

There's no feasible way for teams to play every team every year. Playing every team at least once every four years is perfect, to me. I think 16 is the right number.

There's no feasible way for teams to play every team every year. Playing every team at least once every four years is perfect, to me. I think 16 is the right number.

Why not ? its not like its a game that is fast pased like NHL. you play 1 hour, but the game is so slow it takes around 3hr to complete a single game no ?

###### it they can play two games a week easy if they got rid of all stupid gear that causes more injuries than anything.

Why not ? its not like its a game that is fast pased like NHL. you play 1 hour, but the game is so slow it takes around 3hr to complete a single game no ?

###### it they can play two games a week easy if they got rid of all stupid gear that causes more injuries than anything.

I hear this a lot, especially from non-Americanadians who don't realize that football is NOT RUGBY. (I realize that you, yourself, have not compared it to rugby here.) Two critical differences: 1. Once that ball is in play, there is no concept of offsides (except for offensive linemen on passing plays, but that's an unnecessary distinction for these purposes). That means players get hit and tackled from all directions, and not just from the front. There are plenty of hits, tackles, and blocks that the recipient can't see coming. 2. The forward pass. It is a much faster and more acrobatic sport than rugby. There are arms, elbows, knees, legs, etc. flying around everywhere, all the time.

I could see maybe reducing the size of shoulder pads. Maybe. That's about it, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I think they should cancel the last 2 weeks of preseason and simply do 3 preseason matches, 18 regular season games, with the playoff structure they have now. It would give the NFL more revenue and could benefit the players as well as I would imagine the roster # would be expanded slightly to compensate for injuries over those extra 2 real games. More money for the NFL more jobs for the Players. More games for the fans. More advertising for companies. Wins all around.

I think they should cancel the last 2 weeks of preseason and simply do 3 preseason matches, 18 regular season games, with the playoff structure they have now. It would give the NFL more revenue and could benefit the players as well as I would imagine the roster # would be expanded slightly to compensate for injuries over those extra 2 real games. More money for the NFL more jobs for the Players. More games for the fans. More advertising for companies. Wins all around.

Canceling the last two weeks of preseason would make two preseason games for all teams but two.

And the players probably wouldn't be fond of two more games when half can't make it through 16+ playoffs now. They'd demand higher pay (and likely not just two more game paychecks). This is one of the rare times I fully endorse the current structure.

Edited by Tankalicious