The other sports thread

Eleven

The networks get approximately the same number of commercials regardless of the pace of play. Every half inning and pitching change. Even if the action between those sped up, the same amount of ad time would be sold.

Ironic that this comes up now when the league announced this morning that they're testing new pace-of-play rules at the Arizona fall league.

Some of them:

-a batter must have at least one foot in the batters box throughout the entire at-bat. Exceptions include wild pitches, time, foul tips and foul balls. In those instances they can leave the box but now the dirt.

-No-pitch intentional walks. A manager can signal to home plate that they're walking the guy.

-2 minutes 5 seconds in between innings. If a batter isn't in the box within 1:45 of the last inning a strike will be called. If the batter is and the pitcher doesn't throw a pitch by 2:05 a ball will be called.

-2:30 for a pitching change.

-Only three timeout conferences per game.

Man, they responded quickly to my suggestions. Good on them. :)

The networks get approximately the same number of commercials regardless of the pace of play. Every half inning and pitching change. Even if the action between those sped up, the same amount of ad time would be sold.

But the more times the batter steps out of the box, the longer we have to stare at that green screen ad that Fox has behind home plate. They also get to plug that new TV show or the official beer of MLB for a few more seconds.

Ironic that this comes up now when the league announced this morning that they're testing new pace-of-play rules at the Arizona fall league.

Some of them:

-a batter must have at least one foot in the batters box throughout the entire at-bat. Exceptions include wild pitches, time, foul tips and foul balls. In those instances they can leave the box but now the dirt.

-No-pitch intentional walks. A manager can signal to home plate that they're walking the guy.

-2 minutes 5 seconds in between innings. If a batter isn't in the box within 1:45 of the last inning a strike will be called. If the batter is and the pitcher doesn't throw a pitch by 2:05 a ball will be called.

-2:30 for a pitching change.

-Only three timeout conferences per game.

I'd eliminate the check swing. I mean it won't happen but I think this arbitrary line in space that qualifies as a swing is stupid. You start swinging, you swung. The check swing is the tuck rule of baseball.

No-pitch intentional walks remove the possibilities of wild pitches or hits off of the softly thrown ball. These have happened and should remain part of the game.

I agree.

I was wondering if anyone had ever taken a swing at those pitches, thanks for answering before I had a chance to google it. :)

In any case, this would seem to be similar to the argument that the extra-point in football should be awarded automatically unless the team wants to try for 2. I don't know where I come down on it, but I can see the argument of not preserving something boring just for the <1% of the time something interesting happens. Last season, 4 XP were blocked and 1 was missed. How many hits off pitch outs, wild pitches, and i-walks have there been over the last few years?

No-pitch intentional walks remove the possibilities of wild pitches or hits off of the softly thrown ball. These have happened and should remain part of the game.

It's also an additional 4 pitches added to that pitch count. I doubt they factor in too much to the pitcher's fatigue, but it's still something.

I was wondering if anyone had ever taken a swing at those pitches, thanks for answering before I had a chance to google it. :)

In any case, this would seem to be similar to the argument that the extra-point in football should be awarded automatically unless the team wants to try for 2. I don't know where I come down on it, but I can see the argument of not preserving something boring just for the <1% of the time something interesting happens. Last season, 4 XP were blocked and 1 was missed. How many hits off pitch outs, wild pitches, and i-walks have there been over the last few years?

Right? And that's why we watch!

Meh. The intentional walk thing is the best part of that list. It's maybe one in every 1,000 pitches that something even close to interesting happens. I think it should be a one pitch deal. Catcher stands up and puts his glove out. The pitch is thrown. The end.

Meh. The intentional walk thing is the best part of that list. It's maybe one in every 1,000 pitches that something even close to interesting happens. I think it should be a one pitch deal. Catcher stands up and puts his glove out. The pitch is thrown. The end.

Auto walk does not give the hole batter a chance to warm up. I also like that the 4 pitchouts makes the team think about what they're deciding to do.

The Pirates were in last year too.

Words are not my friend. I wanted to emphasize them as both being in at the same time. They were the most trusted bottom feeders of the past 20 years (and yes, even longer for KC). I don't know what to believe anymore. Maybe next year we'll see the Bills and Raiders both make the playoffs. :bag:

Words are not my friend. I wanted to emphasize them as both being in at the same time. They were the most trusted bottom feeders of the past 20 years (and yes, even longer for KC). I don't know what to believe anymore. Maybe next year we'll see the Bills and Raiders both make the playoffs. :bag:

I kind of assumed that's what you were going for. This new playoff format basically makes it feel like the WC loser wasn't in.

Yeah. To me it just feels like a forced tiebreaker game. I like it and I think it makes good entertainment, but it's not the playoffs.

They always treated any other play in game as a playoff game, but it's definitely not the same thing as one of the 5 or 7 game series. Then again, it always drives me crazy when they say such and such present day pitcher has won more playoff games than anyone in the history of the game. Of course he has. Those pre-90s pitchers didn't have to go through the extra 5 game series.

Clayton Kershaw is on his way to becoming one of the best, if not THE best, pitcher of all time. Insane on the mound.

Easy there.

Anyone else watching this KC game right now? Some of the plays the Kc outfield has made to keep it tied have been incredible. And the small ball they play, it's just fun to watch good baseball.