A whole mess of stuff

Hoss

I hope Darcy is talking to them. Patrik Berglund is exactly the type of center Vanek needs and we have defensemen that they would want.

Bingo--- after locking up Perron and Oshie it's possible Bergland (despite being a center) would be a guy that could get moved.

Incidentally, they have a ton of cap spce--- something like $16mil. Perhaps a roster forward could be sent back to them along with a D man.

I hope Darcy is talking to them. Patrik Berglund is exactly the type of center Vanek needs and we have defensemen that they would want.

Do you think St Louis would do Sekera for Berglund straight up? I think it makes sense for both teams (Although I love Sekera).

To be clear, I do not want to trade Sekera.

But I agree if a deal is to get done for Ryan, he probably needs to be the centrepiece.

The guy who probably needs to be added to the mix is Armia — low-salaried, potential top-six forward as they look to replace Selanne.

Then it's just a matter of what prospects/picks/throw-ins/salaries make a balance.

Looking at the Nash trade, Sekera/Armia/Adam/first or Sekera/Grigorenko/Gerbe is fair value in that type of futures deal. The trouble with Grigs is many around here see him as an untradeable top-two pick, while the Ducks passed on him at pick six.

But if they are looking for a top six forward now, it would have to be Stafford or Vanek (unless they are by some miracle high on Leino) and that would give the rest of the deal a completely different complexion. And I agree, it would be a tough deal.

While I've lobbied against Stastny and others of that ilk, I would take Berglund.

Unlike Stastny, Berglund is not the same type of player as Ennis and Hodgson. He would not get in their way.

Do you think St Louis would do Sekera for Berglund straight up? I think it makes sense for both teams (Although I love Sekera).

My guess would be Sekera and a roster forward. I'd be willIng to trade a lot for Berglund. I think he's perfect for our team and we wouldn't have to empty out the farm system like we would for Ryan.

A little googling with Berglund as the search found me on HFBoards and a "what if" thread re: Berglund and the Sabres. Talk from the StL fans indicated they had winger depth to spare but would need a #2 center to replace Berglund if he were dealt. If that is accurate then Berglund is a no-fly. Perron and Oshie were recently resigned so it seems they wouldn't likely be available. I dunno. I don't see much that interests me on their roster once you get past Backes and Oshie. Maybe Chris Stewart could get pried loose but there are questions about him too.

They want a puck movin dman. We might not have the center, but they can make that move separately still.

Actually Anahiem have officially said their priority is a 2nd line centre above all else. They believe they can get by with their D (I disagree, but not my decision lol). There's no trade to be had here.

A little googling with Berglund as the search found me on HFBoards and a "what if" thread re: Berglund and the Sabres. Talk from the StL fans indicated they had winger depth to spare but would need a #2 center to replace Berglund if he were dealt. If that is accurate then Berglund is a no-fly. Perron and Oshie were recently resigned so it seems they wouldn't likely be available. I dunno. I don't see much that interests me on their roster once you get past Backes and Oshie. Maybe Chris Stewart could get pried loose but there are questions about him too.

Not to me; the trade would just get more complicated. Sekera + Ennis for Berglund + Someone. Or we make it a three team trade and trade a prospect or pick for a center to give to STL. It could still get done. I'm so sick of seeing teams like the Rangers, Flyers, Kings, Hurricanes, Penguins, etc. complete big trades while the biggest we can hope for is a prospect swap with Vancouver. Berglund isn't nearly as big a star as some of the guys who've been traded recently -- we seriously couldn't get him?

Not to me; the trade would just get more complicated. Sekera + Ennis for Berglund + Someone. Or we make it a three team trade and trade a prospect or pick for a center to give to STL. It could still get done. I'm so sick of seeing teams like the Rangers, Flyers, Kings, Hurricanes, Penguins, etc. complete big trades while the biggest we can hope for is a prospect swap with Vancouver. Berglund isn't nearly as big a star as some of the guys who've been traded recently -- we seriously couldn't get him?

We probably could but is Berglund and upgrade over Ennis? I'm not being snarky. I don't know if he is. And is he a large enough upgrade to justify sending off our #3 Dman as well the center being upgraded? IMO we would still have a hole in our wings anyway. Barring a trade that significantly upgrades center ice I still think we need to focus on bringing in a winger to play opposite Vanek.

I'd love to get Ryan but would pass if the deal and look to upgrade the team with a trading partner elsewhere if the deal had to include Hodgson, Ennis, or Grigorenko. We are still way too thin at center to unload one of the few we have for a winger, even a very good one.

I agree with this and think DR does too. The Sabres will not trade Ennis or Hodgson this summer unless there is a top-2 center coming back in the deal.

To be clear, I do not want to trade Sekera.

But I agree if a deal is to get done for Ryan, he probably needs to be the centrepiece.

The guy who probably needs to be added to the mix is Armia — low-salaried, potential top-six forward as they look to replace Selanne.

Then it's just a matter of what prospects/picks/throw-ins/salaries make a balance.

Looking at the Nash trade, Sekera/Armia/Adam/first or Sekera/Grigorenko/Gerbe is fair value in that type of futures deal. The trouble with Grigs is many around here see him as an untradeable top-two pick, while the Ducks passed on him at pick six.

But if they are looking for a top six forward now, it would have to be Stafford or Vanek (unless they are by some miracle high on Leino) and that would give the rest of the deal a completely different complexion. And I agree, it would be a tough deal.

While I've lobbied against Stastny and others of that ilk, I would take Berglund.

Unlike Stastny, Berglund is not the same type of player as Ennis and Hodgson. He would not get in their way.

Good post. I kinda doubt Sekera, Armia and spare parts gets it done for Ryan though -- I don't think Anaheim will trade him unless a current top-6 forward (not a prospect) is coming back in the trade. And while I'd gladly trade Stafford, Sekera and a #1 for Ryan, I'm not sure DR or Anaheim would make that deal.

We probably could but is Berglund and upgrade over Ennis? I'm not being snarky. I don't know if he is. And is he a large enough upgrade to justify sending off our #3 Dman as well the center being upgraded? IMO we would still have a hole in our wings anyway. Barring a trade that significantly upgrades center ice I still think we need to focus on bringing in a winger to play opposite Vanek.

I suppose the perfect-world situation is Doan to play opposite Vanek, and then some combination of Sekera/Leopold plus Stafford/other forward plus picks/prospects for a good center. But it doesn't seem likely.

I was only half kidding. If Sekera's going to Anaheim then he's the centerpiece.

Definitely not. I believe Sekera is undervalued around here, but he's not the centerpiece of a deal that brings one of the best wingers in the game back... one that is 25 years old, too.

Who said the Sabres were ever out? I thought that the conventional wisdom was that it's all been in a holding pattern until first Parise & Suter got done, and then Nash. That Friedman article last week said that Darcy has been in hard on Ryan since day one.

The last couple reports I've read on Ryan haven't mentioned Buffalo, so there's that.

I have no problem with trading sekera.

For 3 years now I have seen a very very very talented d-men who impresses the league from time to time. but then it is followed by 5-6 terrible games where you are afraid every time he has the puck in his own end. I have seen enough he isn't consistent. As sad as that makes me I don't think he will ever get over that hill to be an consistent strong dmen who lives up to his offensive upside.

We're on the same page buddy. I think the priority should be a winger at this stage unless we're landing a world-class centermen (or a third line vet up the middle). I think the wing priority is more to get some guys to put besides young guys like Hodgson, Ennis and Grigorenko to help their developement, but either way it should be a priority.

For 3 years now I have seen a very very very talented d-men who impresses the league from time to time. but then it is followed by 5-6 terrible games where you are afraid every time he has the puck in his own end. I have seen enough he isn't consistent. As sad as that makes me I don't think he will ever get over that hill to be an consistent strong dmen who lives up to his offensive upside.

Last season Sekera was one of the most defensively sound and consistent D-man on the Sabres. He is the second fastest skater on the team and is still young.

Last season Sekera was one of the most defensively sound and consistent D-man on the Sabres. He is the second fastest skater on the team and is still young.

I 100% agree. But it's been said before, a trade for a guy like Ryan has to hurt. Losing Sekera would hurt but I'd do it. I agree with whomever said Ennis/Sekera is too steeop for Ryan. I don't think Sekera/Adam/1st would get it done, but I think that's a way fairer trade than most

well I have a different opinion. All in all that was Leopold for me. Leopold had a bad bad streak that was terrible but that was for some games. So often you saw sekera with the first pass out of the zone where his teammate had to stretch to even get to it. and often that lead to a turnover. he played as if he had no self-confidence at all.

I don't think your description of Sekera fits how he played last year. Prior to that? Yeah, he was inconsistent but showed flashes of what he may be. But last season Sekera was a rock.

Archived