Kevin Porter signs with Sabres

Two or less

I think Porter is Adam's replacement and Adam gets traded in a package for Ryan. Just my opinion.

I think Porter is Adam's replacement and Adam gets traded in a package for someone else I've never heard of... :-)

I realize that the teams recent failure has everyone heeding some caution but holy ###### ###### are there sone negative nancys on this board. They just made a trade that everyone deemed necessary and good on the heels of what everyone considered a great draft. Now they suck because they didn't land Parise or Suter? Can we get a grip? Please?

I realize that the teams recent failure has everyone heeding some caution but holy ###### ###### are there sone negative nancys on this board. They just made a trade that everyone deemed necessary and good on the heels of what everyone considered a great draft. Now they suck because they didn't land Parise or Suter? Can we get a grip? Please?

I think people miss Roy more than they say.

I agree with your position as far as being patient but also feel the same amount of hand wringing about the amount of depth in the center position. This team has unproven depth in the center position.

I think people miss Roy more than they say.

Queue the Chippewa bar scene comment here

We all know Darcy knows that we had a hole at center. After trading Roy away, we all know that Darcy knows that we have a bigger hole at center. We've heard him say:

1) We don't plan on relying on this year's draft picks at center next year.

2) We have shown interest in the free agents you'd expect us to show interest.

3) We're pursuing trade avenues that you'd expect us to pursue, as long as the make the Sabres better.

4) We had planned on signing UFAs to fill out Rochester.

All of this is in the plans. Why not sign a few Americans while potential trade partners wait(ed) for Suter/Parise?

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence- the wheels are still turning behind the scenes to make the Sabres a better team. Am I fearful that this will be the team going into training camp? A little, because sometimes deals are just hard to come by. See also: trying to replace UFAs Teppo Numminen, Jaro Spacek, Toni Lydman, and Hank Tallinder with UFAs Steve Montador, Jordan Leopold and Shoane Morrisonn over the course of two years.

They have the plan, and the they have the ability. They just need the opportunity. That's what we're all waiting for.

Now, the downside here is that the trade market for Ryan, Nash, and others is a seller's market. They have very little pressure to make moves unless they're receiving a king's ransom. If those players don't move, it'll be because the asking price is too high. As much as I'm afraid of going into next year's season with this lineup, I'm pretty much more afraid of wayyy overpaying for these players. So even if we're hanging out because waiting for the price to come down, I'm ok with that.

So it's the usual patient moderation from me: Darcy, git 'er done... for the right price.

We all know Darcy knows that we had a hole at center. After trading Roy away, we all know that Darcy knows that we have a bigger hole at center. We've heard him say:

3) We're pursuing trade avenues that you'd expect us to pursue, as long as the make the Sabres better.

All of this is in the plans. Why not sign a few Americans while potential trade partners wait(ed) for Suter/Parise?

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence- the wheels are still turning behind the scenes to make the Sabres a better team. Am I fearful that this will be the team going into training camp? A little, because sometimes deals are just hard to come by. See also: trying to replace UFAs Teppo Numminen, Jaro Spacek, Toni Lydman, and Hank Tallinder with UFAs Steve Montador, Jordan Leopold and Shoane Morrisonn over the course of two years.

They have the plan, and the they have the ability. They just need the opportunity. That's what we're all waiting for.

Now, the downside here is that the trade market for Ryan, Nash, and others is a seller's market. They have very little pressure to make moves unless they're receiving a king's ransom. If those players don't move, it'll be because the asking price is too high. As much as I'm afraid of going into next year's season with this lineup, I'm pretty much more afraid of wayyy overpaying for these players. So even if we're hanging out because waiting for the price to come down, I'm ok with that.

So it's the usual patient moderation from me: Darcy, git 'er done... for the right price.

I appreciate that you know physics. I don't, unless it's the relatively simple lever/pulley/ramp stuff. No Higgs boson for me.

But I do know the Sabres, and I know Darcy Regier, and I know that the team is missing a ###### center. And the absence of a center is evidence of the absence of a ###### center. (Yeah, I know I twisted that. I Know Evidence.) If the guy gets our team a center, fine. If not, he has taken a huge freaking risk with Grigorenko, Ennis, and Hodgson up top, and McCormick, who, let's face it, doesn't crack too many NHL rosters, on the back end.

Ludicrous? Ludacris? Risible? Whatever.

The team needs 4 NHL-quality Cs and has 2. Maybe 2, because they're kids.

(This ain't against you, IKP. But dammit, something needs to happen. This roster is a joke.)

Tomorrow is promised to no one.

At some point and time, a move to improve the team, this off season, will be made.

I do agree with you in that Regier needs to be patient, but no matter, the prices on these players rumored to be in play won't come down any and he'll still have to pay the price in any event. You stated it yourself, Nash, Ryan, these guys don't have to be moved, and it is a sellers market.

It's quite simple really, either Darcy deals now, or the catch the ire of the fan base 10 fold because he failed to act in an effort to better the team.

The goal, as prescribed and set forth by owner Terry Pegula, Stanley Cup Competitive in 3 season. We are heading into season 2, and if it's with this current roster, they wouldn't touch 9th place in my opinion, more like 11th or 12th.

A move has to be made, and it must be a move that has more than just a significant impact on the roster. It has to offer competitiveness this coming season.

Both Ryan and Nash offer that as additions. The debate on which of the 2 is a better fit is interesting, I myself lean heavily to Ryan as opposed to Nash.

As for the center situation, I think fans are failing to realize, we are missing a 4th line center, that's it. You can bet Mikhail Grigorenko will be the 3rd line center this coming season. The kid is NHL ready, it's just about a universal opinion. You have Hodgson and Ennis as well.

The only way I see a change up is a trade for a player like Getzlaf, which I'm not holding my breathe on.

As my opening statement says, Tomorrow is promised to no one.

If Regier is going to move this team into Cup contention, this off season is a good off season to strike the hammer on the anvil, in my opinion.

I don't think they suck, they're just not better... I want better.. I'm not satisfied with an offseason that traded Roy for Ott. There are only a few players left out there and the traditional FA markets haven't been heard from yet.

Be sure to include the hand sanitizer.

Does the hand sanitizer come with an NHL-quality center and does your little stormy club care about the makeup of the team, or is it all still a dirty little circle-jerk about the coach?

1) Offseason isn't over yet

2) What moves have been made that anybody says "hot damn why didn't the Sabres do that!" I can think of a minor one like getting Konopka for the 4th line, but nothing I'm overly broken up about.

3) I stand by the analysis I had in the draft thread--they recognized the current core can't get it done, so they're going young and building a new one. This may not jive with people in total "win now" mode or who think the team is on the cusp of contention, but I think it's the direction they're taking. Until proven otherwise, I'm sticking to this.

1) Offseason isn't over yet

2) What moves have been made that anybody says "hot damn why didn't the Sabres do that!" I can think of a minor one like getting Konopka for the 4th line, but nothing I'm overly broken up about.

3) I stand by the analysis I had in the draft thread--they recognized the current core can't get it done, so they're going young and building a new one. This may not jive with people in total "win now" mode or who think the team is on the cusp of contention, but I think it's the direction they're taking. Until proven otherwise, I'm sticking to this.

Yup, I'm gonna sit here and put my feet up. There's a lot of time for things to happen.

The offseason is far from done. Buffalo right now is stocking up Rochester with left overs and then they are going to pull out the big guns.

They first need minor players to fill in for players they are going to trade ala Adam and possibly Vanek.

Huh. I can't be the only one here who is okay with the direction this off season is going, and who wants none of Ryan, Nash, or Parise for that matter.

I think Darcy has been making a statement since the Kassian trade. There's an entire league full of centers that Darcy can deal for, and for once in a long while I'm somewhat optimistic that the team has turned in the right direction and has a plan.

I reserve the right to become pessimistic come September.

Huh. I can't be the only one here who is okay with the direction this off season is going, and who wants none of Ryan, Nash, or Parise for that matter.

I think Darcy has been making a statement since the Kassian trade. There's an entire league full of centers that Darcy can deal for, and for once in a long while I'm somewhat optimistic that the team has turned in the right direction and has a plan.

I reserve the right to become pessimistic come September.

I'm also happy with the offseason so far...but then again, I'm OK with this being sort of a "bridge" year to contention where the young guys get some valuable experience and grow as players (ideally). While I'd love Ryan in a Sabres uniform, he's probably more expensive than I'd personally be willing to pay. I believe the team's best chance to compete and actually accomplish "becoming Detroit" is for our young guys to develop into a group that can win consistently. I think blowing up the youth is a mistake, and I have a feeling Regier feels the same way--I think it's the reason he's looking to trade roster players for roster players, rather than futures for roster players.

I'm also happy with the offseason so far...but then again, I'm OK with this being sort of a "bridge" year to contention where the young guys get some valuable experience and grow as players (ideally). While I'd love Ryan in a Sabres uniform, he's probably more expensive than I'd personally be willing to pay. I believe the team's best chance to compete and actually accomplish "becoming Detroit" is for our young guys to develop into a group that can win consistently. I think blowing up the youth is a mistake, and I have a feeling Regier feels the same way--I think it's the reason he's looking to trade roster players for roster players, rather than futures for roster players.

Totally agree. I'm right with you on management recognizing the "core" was a dead end as well. Essentially, I got what I was looking for: blowing up the roster.

I haven't seen it mentioned much, but they have also been targeting players who will mesh well with Lindy and his system. None of the big names being thrown around fit those particular parameters.

Totally agree. I'm right with you on management recognizing the "core" was a dead end as well. Essentially, I got what I was looking for: blowing up the roster.

I haven't seen it mentioned much, but they have also been targeting players who will mesh well with Lindy and his system. None of the big names being thrown fit those particular parameters.

Great point. I think they learned from Leino.

One interesting point on Porter: he beat out Gerbe for the Hobey that year

Good stuff.

Is it "we like our team" time yet?

See my post in the roster thread; absolutely not. Walter Matthau couldn't coach this bunch to a championship, even if Kelly Leak shows up.

This is an assortment of hockey players and not a team.

Dammit. I'm really mad. They could have done better.

Geez. Who fouled this group's Wheaties?

Ink, I really am running out of patience with this summer. Two "maybe they can" centers is horrible.

But what if Griggy makes the team and has a good rookie year? And Ennis picks up where he left off? And Hodgson delivers on his promise?

Each of those is a real if, but there is a reasonably good chance of each of them coming in.

And I really do think unloading Roy will be addition by subtraction -- and that's without even factoring in the gains that Ott will deliver.

If you're referring to the Vogl article DR was referring to the trade market being the secondary market and the UFA's are the first market. At least that's my take on the quote.

Sir, with almost 3000 posts, it's time to take the 90 seconds involved in installing an avatar.

I agree with your position as far as being patient but also feel the same amount of hand wringing about the amount of depth in the center position. This team has unproven depth in the center position.

Unproven, yes, but the ceiling is quite high.

This is a good post, but do you gotta link for the bolded part? I don't think I've heard him say that.

I'm still holding out hope for Leino..... I want to see him wearing a sabres sweater in the playoffs before i judge him to much

Me too.

Eleven, I've stayed away from here for some time now but I look in every now and then. When I left you were one of the most reasonable, even headed posters on here. You strike me as not getting too high in the highs and too low in the lows. You and most of the posters I guess are at odds with how I feel right now. You guys sound like the draft was five years ago! Hey!!!! We hit a homerun in the draft and ya I don't like the thought of the age but Grigs is legit and is going to be a huge difference maker for us right out of the box!

I've wanted Derek Roy gone for years. He's gone. Cody will be excellent at this point of development with us. much better than Derek Roy was the last two years for us ok? He is the new Derek but wont flop around on the ice and spend most of his ice time on his knees or back or belly. he will be a player. A smart and tough to play against player.

We missed the playoffs last year and I as a season ticket holder am sick of the ###### they were putting on the ice last year until the run that didn't quite make it. That ###### will not be evident on the ice this year. from the beginning we are a different team to play against and a much different team to watch. This year is going to fun and loud at athe rink. Ott will make sure of that. You do realize we are going to be hitting this year right?

There are many reasons to be optomistic and we're not done yet. Are you okay if maybe we could move Stafford, Sekera and a pick for Stastny? I am. I am also ok with Ryan for Vanek straight up. I'm also ok with Miller for ?????

I'm good with anything right now. Because Connolly is gone and Derek Roy is gone. That aroma of ###### will be gone from the dressing and on the ice. Count on it. I am. I will give you this though, it would be nice to start with a new coach. We all know thats not happening though. But if they do stink it up and are miserable mopes by Christmas, maybe us fans present will be Lindy being sent packing.

I'm really alright with what Darcy is up to right now. Grigs, Girgs man the future looks like fun.

Peace man. Lets go Buffalo!

Eleven, I've stayed away from here for some time now but I look in every now and then. When I left you were one of the most reasonable, even headed posters on here. You strike me as not getting too high in the highs and too low in the lows. You and most of the posters I guess are at odds with how I feel right now. You guys sound like the draft was five years ago! Hey!!!! We hit a homerun in the draft and ya I don't like the thought of the age but Grigs is legit and is going to be a huge difference maker for us right out of the box!

I've wanted Derek Roy gone for years. He's gone. Cody will be excellent at this point of development with us. much better than Derek Roy was the last two years for us ok? He is the new Derek but wont flop around on the ice and spend most of his ice time on his knees or back or belly. he will be a player. A smart and tough to play against player.

We missed the playoffs last year and I as a season ticket holder am sick of the ###### they were putting on the ice last year until the run that didn't quite make it. That ###### will not be evident on the ice this year. from the beginning we are a different team to play against and a much different team to watch. This year is going to fun and loud at athe rink. Ott will make sure of that. You do realize we are going to be hitting this year right?

There are many reasons to be optomistic and we're not done yet. Are you okay if maybe we could move Stafford, Sekera and a pick for Stastny? I am. I am also ok with Ryan for Vanek straight up. I'm also ok with Miller for ?????

I'm good with anything right now. Because Connolly is gone and Derek Roy is gone. That aroma of ###### will be gone from the dressing and on the ice. Count on it. I am. I will give you this though, it would be nice to start with a new coach. We all know thats not happening though. But if they do stink it up and are miserable mopes by Christmas, maybe us fans present will be Lindy being sent packing.

I'm really alright with what Darcy is up to right now. Grigs, Girgs man the future looks like fun.

Peace man. Lets go Buffalo!

Good man.

Archived