Kevin Porter signs with Sabres

Two or less

A lot of the posts above make sense. Especially the ones favoring patience in the current market.

One more thing to consider. Ryan has essentially told the Ducks to trade him. Nash knows he's leaving the Blue Jackets. Both GMs are holding out for a one-sided deal but other teams are balking at the price.

IF the other GMs stick to their guns, something has to happen. What would training camp be like in Anaheim and Columbus with Ryan and Nash returning? It can't happen. Therefore at some point those GMs are going to have to make a deal. Hopefully when that happens, the other GMs hold strong and we're still in the running.

(This ain't against you, IKP. But dammit, something needs to happen. This roster is a joke.)

No worries, I understand your POV. I get it. The current roster's hurting bad in the middle- I'd have to be convinced with some spectacular rookie play to like it. My point, to try to ease you a little, is that I'm not expecting this to be the roster in September, in no small part to this...

This is a good post, but do you gotta link for the bolded part? I don't think I've heard him say that.

Gracias.

It's buried in one of the interviews after the draft ("Post-Draft Press Conference" [6/25/12], 3:14): http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=1

Q: "Darcy, now that you have a chance to look at your organizational depth chart, in the draft having addressed center, does this anyway change your thought process heading into free agency? Does it mean you might be less aggressive?"

A: "No, I think that we'll still look for ways to improve the team in the short term, and possibly that extends to the long term. I don't think it's fair to put it on these young fellas to step in immediately and contribute. I understand and respect that it may be a possibility. There's always surprises, and certainly Mikhail will have that opportunity in training camp. But when that happens, as that's happened in the past with someone like Tyler Myers, it's a bonus, you recognize it, they get an opportunity to play, but it's not something that you want to fully have to count on."

Q: "How aggressive, then, might you be in free agency, or adding..."

A: "We're going to look for ways to improve the team, and that extends beyond free agency, as well as trades."

And the questions go into cap/CBA talk from there.

DR knows they shouldn't rely on the drafted C's to take any serious playing time. Which means the hole at center hasn't gotten any smaller (it's only gotten bigger with Roy out). They know this, and you know they know this. I can't speak to what they'll accomplish (only time will tell), but I believe they're diligently working on this, and believing that let's me do something really nice:

It lets me chill the ###### out. :)

The names may not excite you, IMO,the change in direction for this team is really exciting. Hopefully Ryan, Doan or even a Nash make your list.

I agree.

If I have to choose between the two, I'll take "going down swinging" over "going down crying" any day.

If nothing else, this shows that management are finally willing to part with the way-too-soft finesse approach that has been the mantra of this organisation, for way too long.

The team, as it looks right now, may not make the playoffs next year, but I'll be willing to bet good money they'll be way more exciting to watch than the team that missed the playoffs this year.

I think a message is being sent. Will be interesting to see what Drew Stafford thinks about this.

If I have to choose between the two, I'll take "going down swinging" over "going down crying" any day.

Interesting point. Let's say, for whatever reason, we don't make the playoffs again next year. Maybe it's because we couldn't get better at center, whatever. Regardless, we will end up pounding the ###### out of several teams and it's going to be entertaining. There is value in that. I think that's a better way to not-make-the-playoffs.

A lot of the posts above make sense. Especially the ones favoring patience in the current market.

One more thing to consider. Ryan has essentially told the Ducks to trade him. Nash knows he's leaving the Blue Jackets. Both GMs are holding out for a one-sided deal but other teams are balking at the price.

IF the other GMs stick to their guns, something has to happen. What would training camp be like in Anaheim and Columbus with Ryan and Nash returning? It can't happen. Therefore at some point those GMs are going to have to make a deal. Hopefully when that happens, the other GMs hold strong and we're still in the running.

I suspect the Nash situation will lead to Nash sitting out eventually, refusing to play unless his traded.

I'll join beerme: Eleven, what gives? It is early July, man. Even if all of your fears come to pass: It is early July.

Maybe you need to make like PA and go have a grab on/stare through the chain link fence surrounding the site where the Aud once stood?

Ink, I really am running out of patience with this summer. Two "maybe they can" centers is horrible.

And I'm betting we're relatively tied, but if you want that "old man" label, have it!

Summer just started and you're out of patience already?

Only when you're ready to admit that it's the guy buying the groceries, and not the guy doing the cooking, who is the problem. Buffalo has 2, at MOST, NHL-quality centers for next year. And that's if Ennis and Hod are ready.

This sux.

I'm already getting the check for the SPCA ready.

First of all, LIndy's in on all the intelligence, in on all the meetings, in on all the decisions. That's been stated time and again over the years. Lindy wields tremendous power in the organization and is de facto co-GM. These have been Lindy's teams and he shouldn't be given the easy out you're offering.

Here's what doesn't add up. Unless everyone is wrong, Lindy should have been easily able to write his ticket out of Buffalo several times over the years when his contract was coming up, to any number of elite franchises, in terms he could virtually dictate. If he knows he can't have the ultimate success here because he and the GM aren't on the same page, why doesn't he go somewhere else?

Does the hand sanitizer come with an NHL-quality center and does your little stormy club care about the makeup of the team, or is it all still a dirty little circle-jerk about the coach?

I am both outraged and aroused.

Interesting point. Let's say, for whatever reason, we don't make the playoffs again next year. Maybe it's because we couldn't get better at center, whatever. Regardless, we will end up pounding the ###### out of several teams and it's going to be entertaining. There is value in that. I think that's a better way to not-make-the-playoffs.

95-96 again? Interesting. TSC should issue some kind of advisory.

I'll join beerme: Eleven, what gives? It is early July, man. Even if all of your fears come to pass: It is early July.

Maybe you need to make like PA and go have a grab on/stare through the chain link fence surrounding the site where the Aud once stood?

I'm not sure I like the blocking/choreography on that mental image.

This thread is why the Sabres should continue to neglect the Amerks. They sign a good player with the potential to be an AHL rehab project, and the board goes 83 posts into the vortex of what it means for the Sabres. The Sabres didn't even address the media about this signing. They left that to the Americans.

Yay! Rochester got a great AHL level center with potential to Rehab his career to a fill in NHL level!! WOoT!! Yay!!

First of all, LIndy's in on all the intelligence, in on all the meetings, in on all the decisions. That's been stated time and again over the years. Lindy wields tremendous power in the organization and is de facto co-GM. These have been Lindy's teams and he shouldn't be given the easy out you're offering.

Here's what doesn't add up. Unless everyone is wrong, Lindy should have been easily able to write his ticket out of Buffalo several times over the years when his contract was coming up, to any number of elite franchises, in terms he could virtually dictate. If he knows he can't have the ultimate success here because he and the GM aren't on the same page, why doesn't he go somewhere else?

PA, first of all it's good to see you back...

Second, I'm not sure any NHL head coach can "write his own ticket" anywhere. Team owners/presidents do the hiring. If Lindy was as great a coach as many think, I'm sure he must have had offers (I have no way of knowing this, obviously). So, Lindy is either extremely dedicated to the Sabres (and/or Darcy) or he just never got an offer good enough to leave Buffalo (or maybe he never got an offer...who knows?) I just think that it is very weird that the same coach/GM combo has been able to stay in place through three owners and a bankruptcy without having more success than they have had. (Frankly, I think Darcy has pictures of Gary Bettman with three transsexual hookers and a donkey; who wields the power NOW?)

It's only July and a lot of stuff can happen between now and puck drop in October. Frankly, I've got enough going on in my life that being a Sabres fan has been forced to the back burner. I'm taking the "show me" position when it comes to the team for the summer. So, the owner says he wants to win lots of Cups? OK, show me. So far, the changes that have been made are (I think) moving in the right direction, but haven't blown me out of the water. The Sabres seem to creep along, adding here, tweaking there while other teams have made the big splash (yes, I know there are extenuating circumstances in the Parise/Suter signings in Minnestota, but THAT is the kind of big splash the Sabres could use).

So, I will put the Sabres on the back burner and go ahead living my life. We'll see what improvements are made and only time will tell if they work.

PA, first of all it's good to see you back...

Second, I'm not sure any NHL head coach can "write his own ticket" anywhere. Team owners/presidents do the hiring. If Lindy was as great a coach as many think, I'm sure he must have had offers (I have no way of knowing this, obviously). So, Lindy is either extremely dedicated to the Sabres (and/or Darcy) or he just never got an offer good enough to leave Buffalo (or maybe he never got an offer...who knows?) I just think that it is very weird that the same coach/GM combo has been able to stay in place through three owners and a bankruptcy without having more success than they have had. (Frankly, I think Darcy has pictures of Gary Bettman with three transsexual hookers and a donkey; who wields the power NOW?)

It's only July and a lot of stuff can happen between now and puck drop in October. Frankly, I've got enough going on in my life that being a Sabres fan has been forced to the back burner. I'm taking the "show me" position when it comes to the team for the summer. So, the owner says he wants to win lots of Cups? OK, show me. So far, the changes that have been made are (I think) moving in the right direction, but haven't blown me out of the water. The Sabres seem to creep along, adding here, tweaking there while other teams have made the big splash (yes, I know there are extenuating circumstances in the Parise/Suter signings in Minnestota, but THAT is the kind of big splash the Sabres could use).

So, I will put the Sabres on the back burner and go ahead living my life. We'll see what improvements are made and only time will tell if they work.

I have no idea what this means... :)

beerme, thanks for cheering me up.

PA, you're dead wrong about who assembles the team.

Boy, I've really been trying to stay out of all this since I went on vacation, but statements like this make me insane. How can you know this? Unless you are in the room with them (or apparently just Darcy) then how can you know? I'm in a beer league and before every season we get four or five guys together, a couple of times, to see who we should get on the team given their ability and personality,.. for beer league. I would find it absolutely unbelievable if the coach of a professional hockey team has no knowledge of or say in the players put on his team. That's just ridiculous.

..And if it is true then I want Ruff gone even more than I already did.

(and PA, it really is good to see you back)

Boy, I've really been trying to stay out of all this since I went on vacation, but statements like this make me insane. How can you know this? Unless you are in the room with them (or apparently just Darcy) then how can you know? I'm in a beer league and before every season we get four or five guys together, a couple of times, to see who we should get on the team given their ability and personality,.. for beer league. I would find it absolutely unbelievable if the coach of a professional hockey team has no knowledge of or say in the players put on his team. That's just ridiculous.

..And if it is true then I want Ruff gone even more than I already did.

(and PA, it really is good to see you back)

I know a guy who knows a guy...

beerme, thanks for cheering me up.

PA, you're dead wrong about who assembles the team.

So Regier is on record saying he will never fire Lindy Ruff but apparently he also won't let Ruff have input as to who is on the roster? Assuming your information is correct, the Sabres are a lot more dysfunctional than we ever could have imagined. Possibly another reason to wish that Pegula had cleaned house and started fresh when he bought the team.

It's buried in one of the interviews after the draft ("Post-Draft Press Conference" [6/25/12], 3:14): http://video.sabres....er/console?id=1

Q: "Darcy, now that you have a chance to look at your organizational depth chart, in the draft having addressed center, does this anyway change your thought process heading into free agency? Does it mean you might be less aggressive?"

A: "No, I think that we'll still look for ways to improve the team in the short term, and possibly that extends to the long term. I don't think it's fair to put it on these young fellas to step in immediately and contribute. I understand and respect that it may be a possibility. There's always surprises, and certainly Mikhail will have that opportunity in training camp. But when that happens, as that's happened in the past with someone like Tyler Myers, it's a bonus, you recognize it, they get an opportunity to play, but it's not something that you want to fully have to count on."

Q: "How aggressive, then, might you be in free agency, or adding..."

A: "We're going to look for ways to improve the team, and that extends beyond free agency, as well as trades."

And the questions go into cap/CBA talk from there.

DR knows they shouldn't rely on the drafted C's to take any serious playing time. Which means the hole at center hasn't gotten any smaller (it's only gotten bigger with Roy out). They know this, and you know they know this. I can't speak to what they'll accomplish (only time will tell), but I believe they're diligently working on this, and believing that let's me do something really nice:

It lets me chill the ###### out. :)

Thanks and another good post.

I've been thinking that it would be pretty out of character for DR to assume that Griggy is going to make the NHL and fill one of his center slots. Unfortunately, I don't think any of us would be shocked if the ultimate outcome for the #3 center turns out to be unsatisfying -- i.e. moving a winger over to center or signing a Rob Niedermayer type.

But I sure hope you're right and DR has acted decisively enough since TP arrived that there is certainly reason for optimism.

Hope and change!

Well, maybe coaching the Sabres is his dream job, especially with Daddy Warbucks in place throwing money at players, facilities, scouting, organization, etc.

I'm not sure I like the blocking/choreography on that mental image.

so awesome.

So, I will put the Sabres on the back burner and go ahead living my life.

'swhat i'm saying: it is july 6th, babies.***

*** intended to be heard in the tone used by vince vaughn in swingers.

Thanks and another good post.

I've been thinking that it would be pretty out of character for DR to assume that Griggy is going to make the NHL and fill one of his center slots. Unfortunately, I don't think any of us would be shocked if the ultimate outcome for the #3 center turns out to be unsatisfying -- i.e. moving a winger over to center or signing a Rob Niedermayer type.

But I sure hope you're right and DR has acted decisively enough since TP arrived that there is certainly reason for optimism.

Hope and change!

Well, maybe coaching the Sabres is his dream job, especially with Daddy Warbucks in place throwing money at players, facilities, scouting, organization, etc.

I'd be pretty happy if we nabbed Arnott. He's not the ideal #3 for a team wanting to make a deep playoff run, but I think he's got something left in the tank and would be a great influence on our young centers.

So Regier is on record saying he will never fire Lindy Ruff but apparently he also won't let Ruff have input as to who is on the roster? Assuming your information is correct, the Sabres are a lot more dysfunctional than we ever could have imagined. Possibly another reason to wish that Pegula had cleaned house and started fresh when he bought the team.

Ruff has input, but he doesn't have as much as some seem to think.

Did Regier say he would never fire Lindy Ruff? Doesn't matter to me, but I must have missed it. Wow. Then again, maybe he realizes that no other coach will be able to make anything out of a team with two centers and twelve defensemen.

Did Regier say he would never fire Lindy Ruff? Doesn't matter to me, but I must have missed it. Wow. Then again, maybe he realizes that no other coach will be able to make anything out of a team with two centers and twelve defensemen.

All coaches have input and discussions with the GM, thats fact

But very few coaches have the abilities to go out and get the players that they want/need. Good GMs find their coaches those players and do what evers necessary to go get them. But also, like all coaches, Ruff can only work with what Regier gives him, who can only work with what the owner allows them to spend. good coaches get all they can out of the players given (something I think Ruff has done a great job of seeing as how the majority of the players that leave here haven't gone off and been superstars on other teams. Some may have a good stretch or two, or may end up on a great team and have success as a team), and good GMs are able to succeed within the parameters that they are given to work with.

You seem to be doing a lot of hand-wringing for it only being July 6th..

He did, but I don't have time to find a link. He's said it on WGR before.

What you're describing (and I take your information seriously) is a bizarre situation.

You seem to be doing a lot of hand-wringing for it only being July 6th..

Indeed, I am. I have $100 riding on this.

He did, but I don't have time to find a link. He's said it on WGR before.

What you're describing (and I take your information seriously) is a bizarre situation.

I believe you; no need for a link.

Archived