Sabres Trade busted up Roy for Ott and Pardy

26CornerBlitz

No....I've wanted Darcy's head to roll for years.......I was just pointing out "How ###### of a GM are you if you have the highest payroll in the league and an elite coach yet can't make the playoffs?"

Oh, FFS (11, I'm going to start using this, if you don't mind). They cranked up the spending and in the first year of doing so they missed the playoffs by a c-hair. You know as well as I do that a bunch of expensive new pieces doesn't mesh into a smoothly operating machine overnight, nor does a complete overhaul happen overnight.

DR was being 100% honest, IMHO, when he referred to Lindy as an elite coach. No spin. You may disagree with him on whether Lindy is elite, and you may think DR should be gone for sticking too long with the failed "leadership group" of crappy forwards that is now being dismantled, or for letting last season flush itself down the drain from mid-November to the end of January, but the continuous "DR is a liar" diatribe is nonsense and a bit hysterical.

Here's an example: what did DR say at the presser following Black Sunday? Right after LQ finished dissembling about how the team would be fine without Drury and Briere (and about how there had been no deal with Drury at any point), DR stepped up and said the Sabres wouldn't be as good without them. He directly contradicted his boss in front of the world.

He's a good, honorable guy. He's made his share of mistakes over the years, and also his share of good moves. He's eaten quite a few s--- sandwiches over the years forced on him by undercapitalized, criminal, reluctant and/or dishonest owners, and has chosen to eat those sandwiches rather than quit his job, but that doesn't make him dishonest or a bad guy. It just means that like 99% of the working world, he's chosen to live with some crap at work rather than quit his job.

Oh, FFS (11, I'm going to start using this, if you don't mind). They cranked up the spending and in the first year of doing so they missed the playoffs by a c-hair. You know as well as I do that a bunch of expensive new pieces doesn't mesh into a smoothly operating machine overnight, nor does a complete overhaul happen overnight.

DR was being 100% honest, IMHO, when he referred to Lindy as an elite coach. No spin. You may disagree with him on whether Lindy is elite, and you may think DR should be gone for sticking too long with the failed "leadership group" of crappy forwards that is now being dismantled, or for letting last season flush itself down the drain from mid-November to the end of January, but the continuous "DR is a liar" diatribe is nonsense and a bit hysterical.

Here's an example: what did DR say at the presser following Black Sunday? Right after LQ finished dissembling about how the team would be fine without Drury and Briere (and about how there had been no deal with Drury at any point), DR stepped up and said the Sabres wouldn't be as good without them. He directly contradicted his boss in front of the world.

He's a good, honorable guy. He's made his share of mistakes over the years, and also his share of good moves. He's eaten quite a few s--- sandwiches over the years forced on him by undercapitalized, criminal, reluctant and/or dishonest owners, and has chosen to eat those sandwiches rather than quit his job, but that doesn't make him dishonest or a bad guy. It just means that like 99% of the working world, he's chosen to live with some crap at work rather than quit his job.

:wub:

Awesome post.

Good post. I don't think that Darcy is a liar,.. but I also don't think that Lindy is an elite coach.

Well said.

Wonder if this board we be skewering Nieuwendyk or Darcy if it was Ott with the bum shoulder.

Really? There is no doubt Darcy would be getting raked over the coals by everybody here. Well, maybe not everyone. But at least 1% of us.

GO SABRES!!!

Great post, especially the bolded part.

I really like Darcy.... I think you're seeing now that he is capable of doing pretty much anything when he has an owner that will allow him to play the game

I also liked his response to the Black Sunday ordeal. He basically said it was possible that the Sabres could become the Pirates of the NHL when asked by a reporter, to which Quinn said in his typical whiny voice "we're not gonna go there...."

I've always respected Darcy for that. He was CLEARLY angry about what happened and you could tell that it wasn't his call.

Been said a number of times, and I'm no lover of Darcy, but excellent post.

I have never been a Darcy fan, and I still don't think he has shown he is a great GM (His moves last season involved grossly overpaying, and/or the owner begging players to come here), but him saying/believing that Lindy is an elite coach doesn't bother me one bit

As for last season, AGAIN, I know some here like to disregard it as an excuse, but this team was decimated by injuries to many of its key players and it caused them to go into a huge slump. When healthy, this was a playoff team, they were playing better then some of the best teams when healthy

I have never been a Darcy fan, and I still don't think he has shown he is a great GM (His moves last season involved grossly overpaying, and/or the owner begging players to come here), but him saying/believing that Lindy is an elite coach doesn't bother me one bit

As for last season, AGAIN, I know some here like to disregard it as an excuse, but this team was decimated by injuries to many of its key players and it caused them to go into a huge slump. When healthy, this was a playoff team, they were playing better then some of the best teams when healthy

When you top two defenders go down plus multiple forwards your on to a loser imho, Agreed the 'injuries' excuse is undervalued. Not saying it wasn't a disappointing season but injuries matter. Look how we did without Ehrhoff/Myers compare to how we did for a small example.

But every team incurs injuries. That's how it goes. The Sabres last year, like every year since Black Sunday, ran away and hid under the bed when faced with adversity. Whether it was Myers getting hurt or Lucic plowing over Miller, the Sabres didn't answer the bell. They shrank from the moment, just like in game 7 vs. Philly, just like in the playoffs vs. Boston when Vanek got hurt, just like the last 2 months of the 2008-09 season when Miller got hurt (and for that matter just like when Gomez injured Miller).

This team has had a debilitating heart deficiency since Black Sunday. That's just the truth. If and when they have enough guys in the lineup who don't look around for someone else to step up in crunch time -- that's when they'll have a good team that's built to win in the playoffs again.

Holy ######, if Fehr and Bettman can't even agree on a name for the league w/out negotiating, this is gonna get REEAALY ugly. No wonder Dallas decided to have him go ahead with the surgery. ;)

:lol: haha, I fixed it...

Oh, FFS ... [snip] ...It just means that like 99% of the working world, he's chosen to live with some crap at work rather than quit his job.

I'll say it once again...welcome back nfreeman. :thumbsup:

But every team incurs injuries. That's how it goes. The Sabres last year, like every year since Black Sunday, ran away and hid under the bed when faced with adversity. Whether it was Myers getting hurt or Lucic plowing over Miller, the Sabres didn't answer the bell. They shrank from the moment, just like in game 7 vs. Philly, just like in the playoffs vs. Boston when Vanek got hurt, just like the last 2 months of the 2008-09 season when Miller got hurt (and for that matter just like when Gomez injured Miller).

This team has had a debilitating heart deficiency since Black Sunday. That's just the truth. If and when they have enough guys in the lineup who don't look around for someone else to step up in crunch time -- that's when they'll have a good team that's built to win in the playoffs again.

Not saying that the team didn't also lack some heart, or that they were Cup favorites when healthy. And yes, everyteam has injuries, but when your top guys are missing long stretches due to injury (sometimes at the same time), its not going to mean good things. The point I was mostly arguing was the fact they they had one of the highest payrolls, an "elite" coach and didn't make the playoffs. Well if the team wasn't hit as hard as they were from injuries this year, they would have been in. They lost their starting goalie, top 2 defencemen for substantial periods of time. They had multiple players apparently not playing near 100% healthy (Vanek, Roy, Miller after the hit apparently, etc.)

How come no mention of the article in today's Snooze? You know, the one where it's reported that DR and JN were totally on the same page regarding Roy's medical status?

Darcy said in his most recent interview (after the second period last night on sabres.nhl.com, starting at 0:16) that he talked with Joe about it before the trade when they were going through medical records.

How come no mention of the article in today's Snooze? You know, the one where it's reported that DR and JN were totally on the same page regarding Roy's medical status?

GO SABRES!!!

Don't worry....I'm sure this issue is at rest now......unless the Sabres miss the playoffs and a Roy at 100% leads the Stars to the playoffs with 70 points in 64 games. :P

Archived