Round one Pick #12: Mikhail Grigorenko: Signed

spndnchz

Yes, but you said he shouldn't go back to the Q, whereas i am saying it would be better for him to go back there unless he is capable of playing 14+ minutes in the NHL

I understand your point and it's a fair opinion.

If he does go back to the Q I will keep an eye on him, when he comes to play against the Mooseheads. Hey, maybe the Remparts could trade him to the Moose. That way I could keep an eye on him more often. DR, somehow, needs to make sure this happens.

I understand your point and it's a fair opinion.

If he does go back to the Q I will keep an eye on him, when he comes to play against the Mooseheads. Hey, maybe the Remparts could trade him to the Moose. That way I could keep an eye on him more often. DR, somehow, needs to make sure this happens.

I think he definitely gets 9 games then they decide - even if he goes back to the Q next year, that means we get Armia and Grigs next year - that is exciting

Some Russian articles out there today that he's been offered an ass load of money by Federov in the KHL.

Wouldn't surprise me, but the KHL teams are notorious for floating BS rumours just to stir the pot. I think that big time BSer (who shall remain nameless) is the damn commish of that league.

This Federov clown needs to keep his grubby mits off our OREO!!

Let go our OREO!! (not Eggo).

A little surprised they haven't worked out a contract yet since it sounds like they started on it before Girgensons. I was wondering if that one was meant to kind of set the bar for Grigorenko, but if Zemgus got the rookie max, does that mean they'd likely get the same contract with possibly different performance bonuses?

I expect Grigs to sign within days, and see, like Gus, Forsberg and Faksa have signed already too.

Is this just a weird case of the 11-14th picks being unusually developed big forwards, or are we seeing a trend of agents trying to get their players wrapped up prior to a new CBA further restricting entry level deals?

I'm betting it's at least partly the latter, but I am not certain why GMs are jumping on board.

KHL factor maybe?

I expect Grigs to sign within days, and see, like Gus, Forsberg and Faksa have signed already too.

Is this just a weird case of the 11-14th picks being unusually developed big forwards, or are we seeing a trend of agents trying to get their players wrapped up prior to a new CBA further restricting entry level deals?

I'm betting it's at least partly the latter, but I am not certain why GMs are jumping on board.

KHL factor maybe?

The bolded would be my guess.

Why GM's are on board, probably as you surmise that they don't want these players jumping to European leagues in case of a lockout. And, depending on how tightly the league manages to get the PA to buy off on for entry level deals, Europe & KHL will look increasingly enticing to top end young guys. Better to get them in the fold now under a system they know, than to try to get them in under a system that they don't know.

I suspect Regier is still gun shy about drafting a russian, but on draft day a little birdie named Pegs whispered in his ear that it is okay if he swings and misses on a Russian who may decide that life in the KHL is a better option.

For every Datsyuk or Bure, there appears to be a great number of Russians who can't cut it in the NHL and eventually bolt... Radulov, Filatov, Zherdev...

The Grigs pick scares the heck out of me. For the Sabres sake, I hope he loves Lindy as a coach, takes kindly to living in buffalo and has success playing at the NHL level.

I suspect Regier is still gun shy about drafting a russian, but on draft day a little birdie named Pegs whispered in his ear that it is okay if he swings and misses on a Russian who may decide that life in the KHL is a better option.

For every Datsyuk or Bure, there appears to be a great number of Russians who can't cut it in the NHL and eventually bolt... Radulov, Filatov, Zherdev...

The Grigs pick scares the heck out of me. For the Sabres sake, I hope he loves Lindy as a coach, takes kindly to living in buffalo and has success playing at the NHL level.

There really aren't that many who bolt for the KHL - the only ones who do are either washed up, not good enough or no NHL team wanted them. The russian scare is heavily blown out of proportion, probably because of cold war roots

There really aren't that many who bolt for the KHL - the only ones who do are either washed up, not good enough or no NHL team wanted them. The russian scare is heavily blown out of proportion, probably because of cold war roots

Yep. If I could rank my fears it would have to be:

1.) Losing a draftee to the KHL

2.) Nuclear annihilation

But that's just me.

GO SABRES!!!

I wonder if the holdup in getting a deal done for Grigorenko is his agent negotiating protection against potential income loss in the event of a lockout. Just wondering if this is an additional consideration in light of a the leverage of a (curse word) KHL contract offer.

I wonder if the holdup in getting a deal done for Grigorenko is his agent negotiating protection against potential income loss in the event of a lockout. Just wondering if this is an additional consideration in light of a the leverage of a (curse word) KHL contract offer.

Probably tougher to work out as he's more likely to be able to reach bonus triggers than Gergs will. He's more of a prototypical scoring C and for forwards the bulk of the allowable bonuses are related to scoring. I'd expect Gergs has a +/- and ice time bonus, but the rest of the categories would be expected to be tougher for him to meet than for Grigs.

Archived