Round one Pick #12: Mikhail Grigorenko: Signed

spndnchz

Just to put this in perspective, here is the list of 19 year old rookies who played a full year at the NHL level in recent seasons:

2011-2012

Landeskog: 22-30-52

Nugent-Hopkins: 18-34-52

Sean Couturier: 13-14-27

Adam Larsso:n 2-16-18 (Defenseman)

2010-2011

Jeff Skinner: 31-32-63

Taylor Hall: 22-20-42

Cam Fowler: 10-30-40 (Defenseman)

Tyler Seguin: 11-11-22

Alexander Burmistrov: 6-14-20

2009-2010

Matt Duchene: 24-31-55

John Tavares: 24-30-54

Evander Kane: 14-12-26

Ryan O-Reilly: 8-18-26

Victor Hedman: 4-16-20 (Defenseman)

So keep this in mind when making your predictions. 50 points would be exceptional.

That's what I think too. We can't forget that there aren't many 18 year olds that scores over 50 p in this league now.

If he stays in Buffalo the whole season I can't see Lindy using him as top 6 all season. That will not help him get 50. He might get to 30-40 points, question is if that pace keeps him in up. Depends on his defencive efforts and Lindys mood...

Apparently, Darcy went a little than the below quote indicates and heavily implied that Grigorenko will be given the opportunity to enter the season as the #1 center--- that doesn't quite jibe with earlier comments about Hodgson and Ennis being the pivots in the top 6, but I haven't heard the actual comments yet:

Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL

#Sabres‬ Darcy says Mikhail Grigorenko will be given every opportunity to make the team. #Buffalo‬

Apparently, Darcy went a little than the below quote indicates and heavily implied that Grigorenko will be given the opportunity to enter the season as the #1 center--- that doesn't quite jibe with earlier comments about Hodgson and Ennis being the pivots in the top 6, but I haven't heard the actual comments yet:

#Sabres‬ Darcy says Mikhail Grigorenko will be given every opportunity to make the team. #Buffalo‬

I don't see how that tweet implies he's going to displace Ennis or Hodgson. He can always end up on the wing.

That says nothing about him being the number one centre or anything, he could be 3rd line C, similar to what Boston did with Seguin. Start him off with small minutes.

It's really hard to project how many points Grigorenko will get without having any clue as to what position he'll play and how many minutes he'll get. As Shrader's post illustrates, there's a lot of variance to consider. Seguin played very limited minutes with less than ideal teammates. Duchene on the other hand played heavy minutes (about 6 more per game than Seguin) so of course he had more production. Couturier was used in a checking role. And so on. As of now I'd expect 35-40 points, but 10 higher or lower wouldn't shock me either.

i am predicting 14 goals and 23 assists playing about 8-12 minutes a nite on the 3rd line and getting some PP time once injuries occur

I suspect that if Grigs makes the team he'll see regular time on the #2 PP unit.

So it looks like I'm the only one who doesn't think he lasts the season.

We aren't usually such an optimistic bunch.

But it'll be a nice feeling to be glad I'm wrong.

Well, they essentially gave him a contract that a top-3 pick would get, and top-3 picks often play the year. They won't say it publicly, but internally I suspect they think he's going to make the team. I just hope he hits the weight room big time for the next few months.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm all in. Its been awhile since I've felt excited by the moves this management team has made. Bigger things are in the works. I can feel it. Go Sabres !

I'm all in. Its been awhile since I've felt excited by the moves this management team has made. Bigger things are in the works. I can feel it. Go Sabres !

Yeah I agree somethings going to give we have too many d-men and now the reports that we offered 100mil to Parise and Suter just shows buff means business. DR and Tpegs will pull out a stunner before the season starts mark my words.

Let's go Buffalo!

think we'll go after semin ? :blink:

Darcy has shot that down completely, but if Semin remains on the market much longer I'm sure he'll look. If he has enough confidence in Lindy to improve his attitude. Apparently Semin has realised he needs to get his act together if he wants to remain in the NHL much longer. I read that somewhere but have little to verify it.

Darcy has shot that down completely, but if Semin remains on the market much longer I'm sure he'll look. If he has enough confidence in Lindy to improve his attitude. Apparently Semin has realised he needs to get his act together if he wants to remain in the NHL much longer. I read that somewhere but have little to verify it.

I'm not sure he shot it down completely. If I remember correctly, Darcy's response to the "are you interested in Semin" question was "no, not at this time" or something very similar. My reaction was that as usual he left himself an open for a later date.

I am very suspicious of Semin and am not really interested in getting him but if the Sabres get shut out of the Doan/Ryan/Nash sweepstakes and into training camp if it becomes apparent that Grigorenko isn't ready I could see Darcy offering a 1 or 2 year contract to Semin as a plan C, D, F whatever. Definitely not what I would want but the team still needs another top 6 winger. They are one short.

Wow, why was Darcy 'working' on his contract for almost a month if we were going to pay him the max anyways? Now I know why DB and CD left :ph34r:

The salary is max, the negotiations were all about the bonus structure. The tweet had the signing bonus off by a decimal point, it's only $92.5k, his bonuses total $942k. For perspective these players have max salaries plus much larger bonuses:

Player...Total Bonuses per year:

Taylor Hall .... $2.74M

Jonathan Huberdeau ... $2.39M

Tyler Seguin ... $2.74M

Well, they essentially gave him a contract that a top-3 pick would get, and top-3 picks often play the year. They won't say it publicly, but internally I suspect they think he's going to make the team. I just hope he hits the weight room big time for the next few months.

I thought they paid Gergs a ton of money as well for a rookie deal. Does he have a shot at this team this season? I'm really hoping another deal is still in the works as Darcy said but if not could this be our lineup next yr?

Vanek-Hodgson-Pommers

Stafford-Ennis-Foligno

Gergs-Grig-Ott

Leino-McCormik-Kaleta

Gerbe as a spare part and the option for Leino to move up based on his level of play and injuries

On D

Myers-Leopold

Ehrhoff-Sulzer

Sekera-Rehghr

Weber is spare part and McNabb and Pardy sent down to the A to start the year

I still think that McNabb is ready though and another deal has to be in the works.

I'm not sure he shot it down completely. If I remember correctly, Darcy's response to the "are you interested in Semin" question was "no, not at this time" or something very similar. My reaction was that as usual he left himself an open for a later date.

I am very suspicious of Semin and am not really interested in getting him but if the Sabres get shut out of the Doan/Ryan/Nash sweepstakes and into training camp if it becomes apparent that Grigorenko isn't ready I could see Darcy offering a 1 or 2 year contract to Semin as a plan C, D, F whatever. Definitely not what I would want but the team still needs another top 6 winger. They are one short.

Who are your top 6 wingers out of interest? Stafford, Foligno, Pom and Van are mine. I admit Stafford and Foligno are a bit of a risk what with Foligno's being a rookie and Staffords, well, Staffordness (that should be a word) but they did light up the end of last season with Ennis.

Who are your top 6 wingers out of interest? Stafford, Foligno, Pom and Van are mine. I admit Stafford and Foligno are a bit of a risk what with Foligno's being a rookie and Staffords, well, Staffordness (that should be a word) but they did light up the end of last season with Ennis.

I would like to see Pominville and Ott on Grigorenko's line if he makes the squad (and I think it is better than a coin flip that he does right now). That leaves a RW slot open that I don't want Tropp filling.

Archived