2012 Stanley Cup Finals Kings vs Devils

TrueBlueGED

Listening to WGR this morning, I just don't get the complaints about this years Finals? So what if the games don't end 7-6. I've watched a good portion of the NBA playoffs and at no point has the NBA matched the intensity of the NHL playoffs. Not even close. Great goaltending, strong physical hockey, players laying their bodies out on the line to make a play. Should a couple of more goals really make that big of a difference?

Listening to WGR this morning, I just don't get the complaints about this years Finals? So what if the games don't end 7-6. I've watched a good portion of the NBA playoffs and at no point has the NBA matched the intensity of the NHL playoffs. Not even close. Great goaltending, strong physical hockey, players laying their bodies out on the line to make a play. Should a couple of more goals really make that big of a difference?

I think it depends, a game can still be good/exciting IMO ending 2-1 if theres alot of scoring chances that just aren't going in and the goaltenders are robbing the other teams, but that could just be the goaltender in me that likes watching big saves. I would prefer to watch a close game where the shot totals are over 60 in the game then a close one where each goalies making less then 20 saves and the teams are just going back and forth.

As for the NBA, while flipping around on the TV yesterday, I saw "The reporters" sports show (think it was an american version of one that also has a Canadian version on TSN) and they were just going on about the NBA finals and how these were some of the best and that this should help elevate the NBA even higher. I just really don't understand basketball and the NBA. And the only thing I'm interested in is seeing the Big 2 1/2 (or the Miami 2 1/2 Men) lose in the finals again

I think it depends, a game can still be good/exciting IMO ending 2-1 if theres alot of scoring chances that just aren't going in and the goaltenders are robbing the other teams, but that could just be the goaltender in me that likes watching big saves. I would prefer to watch a close game where the shot totals are over 60 in the game then a close one where each goalies making less then 20 saves and the teams are just going back and forth.

As for the NBA, while flipping around on the TV yesterday, I saw "The reporters" sports show (think it was an american version of one that also has a Canadian version on TSN) and they were just going on about the NBA finals and how these were some of the best and that this should help elevate the NBA even higher. I just really don't understand basketball and the NBA. And the only thing I'm interested in is seeing the Big 2 1/2 (or the Miami 2 1/2 Men) lose in the finals again

I have a hard time watching the NBA when Lebron James attempts more free-throws (17) than the Celtics as a team (15). It's seems every drive to the basket is an automatic foul call. Until the NBA allows some contact, at least inside the paint, I really can't take it too seriously.

Disliking the NBA for what it is, I'm not going to argue. The storylines and drama have been monumental compared to the NHL. Hockey is almost at an all time low for interest. I'm not talking about ratings or revenue. Just how interesting the games are.

I have no idea how you can say that with a straight face. Last time I checked, body checking and intensity were not synonyms. And if you don't think there's physical play in basketball, you don't understand the game. Try constantly fighting for position in the low post, or taking a charge from LeBron coming at you full speed, or taking a hard foul under the basket when you're driving to finish. Basketball is super physical in the playoffs.

As for the scoring argument, I'll say this until I die: low scores are not the problem, they're the symptom.

You can complain all you want about the fouls called on the NBA's stars, but the league lets its stars be stars. People want to see LeBron and Durant go 1-on-1...they don't want to see a balanced team like Indiana in the Finals. The Devils and Kings have no shortage of offensive talent on both sides, yet it seems like 90% of the goals scored are complete accidents. I think that points to a systemic problem in the sport.

Edit: Put differently, the NBA is fantastic at showcasing its talent. The NHL on the other hand, is awful at it. If most scores in the NBA were blind shots which bounced off 3 people and happened to find their way into the basket, I think most people would find it a less attractive source of entertainment. In the NBA, the greatest players determine the outcome of the game. In the NHL, the hockey gods' determined bounces and average talent clogging things up determine the outcomes. I, and plenty of others, want to see Parise, Kovalchuk, Kopitar, etc. showcase their otherworldly talent...I don't want to see average joes laying on the ice, scrumming their way to victory with a skill set anybody on this board has (obvious exaggeration, but I think you get the point). To me, the amazing feats of athleticism are becoming too rare in today's NHL, and the drudge is becoming too prevalent. On Saturday I chose to watch the NBA because I knew Rondo, LeBron, Wade would be the stars and most important players and would be able to showcase their talents. In the NHL, I have no such expectation going into games. That's a problem for me, and I hope it gets addressed this summer.

I have no idea how you can say that with a straight face. Last time I checked, body checking and intensity were not synonyms. And if you don't think there's physical play in basketball, you don't understand the game. Try constantly fighting for position in the low post, or taking a charge from LeBron coming at you full speed, or taking a hard foul under the basket when you're driving to finish. Basketball is super physical in the playoffs.

As for the scoring argument, I'll say this until I die: low scores are not the problem, they're the symptom.

You can complain all you want about the fouls called on the NBA's stars, but the league lets its stars be stars. People want to see LeBron and Durant go 1-on-1...they don't want to see a balanced team like Indiana in the Finals. The Devils and Kings have no shortage of offensive talent on both sides, yet it seems like 90% of the goals scored are complete accidents. I think that points to a systemic problem in the sport.

Edit: Put differently, the NBA is fantastic at showcasing its talent. The NHL on the other hand, is awful at it. If most scores in the NBA were blind shots which bounced off 3 people and happened to find their way into the basket, I think most people would find it a less attractive source of entertainment. In the NBA, the greatest players determine the outcome of the game. In the NHL, the hockey gods' determined bounces and average talent clogging things up determine the outcomes. I, and plenty of others, want to see Parise, Kovalchuk, Kopitar, etc. showcase their otherworldly talent...I don't want to see average joes laying on the ice, scrumming their way to victory with a skill set anybody on this board has (obvious exaggeration, but I think you get the point). To me, the amazing feats of athleticism are becoming too rare in today's NHL, and the drudge is becoming too prevalent. On Saturday I chose to watch the NBA because I knew Rondo, LeBron, Wade would be the stars and most important players and would be able to showcase their talents. In the NHL, I have no such expectation going into games. That's a problem for me, and I hope it gets addressed this summer.

Maybe the NHL should take a queue from the NBA and every time a star player takes a shot and misses they should reward him with a penalty shot or his team a power play.

I understand the game of basketball just fine. You can't compare "fighting for position in the low post" with battling in front of the net. Last time I looked NBA players don't cross check opposing players in the back. I watch players in the NHL take slashes to the wrist, that would break break mine, keep battling as if nothing happened. In the NBA if you take a shot and a couple of fingers graze your arm with no effect on the shot or it's outcome you get rewarded with fee throws. Given a choice of taking a charge from James or getting hit by the average NHL defenseman? I'll take the James charge any day, everyday. It's not even close. When it comes to physicality in sports it goes NFL, NHL and drops off to the NBA and a bigger drop off to MLB.

And simply put, the NBA has nothing compared to the final minutes of Game 5 in regards to intensity. Maybe if the NBA wouldn't allow the last two minutes of a game to last 30 minutes with timeouts and intentional fouls it could get there.

I will add this as well. People on this board like to complain about the Versus when a player like Crosby is on. Did anyone hear Jeff Van Gundy spend an entire broadcast apologizing for Lebron James during game #6 against the Celtics. You would have thought James was his son.

Maybe the NHL should take a queue from the NBA and every time a star player takes a shot and misses they should reward him with a penalty shot or his team a power play.

I understand the game of basketball just fine. You can't compare "fighting for position in the low post" with battling in front of the net. Last time I looked NBA players don't cross check opposing players in the back. I watch players in the NHL take slashes to the wrist, that would break break mine, keep battling as if nothing happened. In the NBA if you take a shot and a couple of fingers graze your arm with no effect on the shot or it's outcome you get rewarded with fee throws. Given a choice of taking a charge from James or getting hit by the average NHL defenseman? I'll take the James charge any day, everyday. It's not even close. When it comes to physicality in sports it goes NFL, NHL and drops off to the NBA and a bigger drop off to MLB.

And simply put, the NBA has nothing compared to the final minutes of Game 5 in regards to intensity. Maybe if the NBA wouldn't allow the last two minutes of a game to last 30 minutes with timeouts and intentional fouls it could get there.

I will add this as well. People on this board like to complain about the Versus when a player like Crosby is on. Did anyone hear Jeff Van Gundy spend an entire broadcast apologizing for Lebron James during game #6 against the Celtics. You would have thought James was his son.

Yes, it can definitely be annoying when really weak fouls are called, particularly in a vacuum. However, the big picture is that that style of enforcement opens the game up and allows the great players to showcase their abilities. If only the blatant fouls were called, there'd be way more interfering with the offense and the game would clog up as a result. And yes, a negative consequence of the calls is that guys flop a lot....but there's a ridiculous amount of flopping in the NHL now too simply because that's the only way to get a call. Whether you love it or hate it, offense sells sports, and the NBA recognized this a long time ago.

I'll take a hit from an NHL defenseman any day over getting charged by LeBron. The guy is 6'9" 270 pounds (listed slightly smaller...but the consensus is the listing is wrong). Imagine that hitting you full speed in the chest when you can't do anything to protect yourself? No thanks. The NHL is certainly more physical taken as a whole, but as you said, the NBA isn't exactly baseball.

When the end of NBA games turn into a foul/timeout fest it's absolutely atrocious. Something has to be done to fix that, no doubt.

Also completely agree on the broadcasting--the slurping of LeBron can be as bad as Crosby. The only difference is plenty of people kill LeBron when he fails, whereas the hockey media is nothing but glowing about Crosby. So at least there is good variety in NBA coverage.

I can wholeheartedly say I have never watched a basketball game in my life. ###### ###### <<< these are what I give about basketball.

So there you have it....Chz says no to balls and rim, but craves the hard, black and covered in rubber.

How do you feel about natural grass surrounding the mounds? Have you ever watched hockey and baseball at the same time?

The NBA is trash. Been a huge fan for years and its getting worse and worse. And the fans are easily the most obnoxious, inarticulate, unintelligent people out of all the major sports. Insufferable.

It's quite sad what's happened to the league in general. I hardly even bother watching if my Suns arent playing. I could write essays on the plight of the league.

Wonder what's gonna happen tonight. I think the Stanley Cup Finals have been pretty good. Low scoring doesn't mean boring. There's been a lot of chances, some good pace in a lot of the periods, etc. It's been entertaining. Not mind-blowing but entertaining. Hopefully NJ wins today.

The NBA is trash. Been a huge fan for years and its getting worse and worse.

I think it's turned the corner. The first step was finding a villan. Thank you LeBron for "The Desicion". Next it needed young stars. Thank you Kevin Durant, Russel Westbrook, James Harden, Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin and Chris Paul. These guys are throwbacks (mostly) that are more Dr. J and less Allen Iverson. I think the NBA is really on the verge of regaining it's Jordan/Magic/Bird heyday.

I think it's turned the corner. The first step was finding a villan. Thank you LeBron for "The Desicion". Next it needed young stars. Thank you Kevin Durant, Russel Westbrook, James Harden, Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin and Chris Paul. These guys are throwbacks (mostly) that are more Dr. J and less Allen Iverson. I think the NBA is really on the verge of regaining it's Jordan/Magic/Bird heyday.

Agreed. When Vince Carter was one of the most marketed stars in the league...those were not good years. But I absolutely love where the league is headed with the emerging stars.

I don't think it could ever regain that.

Once you start doubting the legitimacy of what you're watching, it's all over.

It all starts at the top. David Stern has to go. His merry band of men have got to go as well. Not going to happen though, since people eat what's being put out and ratings are high.

I'm sick of superstars. I'm sick of superstar systems. I'm sick of spoiled primadonna brats like LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Amare, Carmelo, Griffin, Paul, and so many others. The NBA has never lacked a villain. It's an impossible league to watch right now. I actually find myself actually saying "thank you" loud to guys like Grant Hill and Steve Nash on Twitter for being such good guys to root for both on and off the court. Gonna suck if/when they leave the Suns/retire.

The NBA needs so much revamping it's not even funny. The mentalities are ridiculous. Sometimes I feel like Michael Jordan did as much harm as he did great.

I don't think it could ever regain that.

Once you start doubting the legitimacy of what you're watching, it's all over.

It all starts at the top. David Stern has to go. His merry band of men have got to go as well. Not going to happen though, since people eat what's being put out and ratings are high.

I'm sick of superstars. I'm sick of superstar systems. I'm sick of spoiled primadonna brats like LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Amare, Carmelo, Griffin, Paul, and so many others. The NBA has never lacked a villain. It's an impossible league to watch right now. I actually find myself actually saying "thank you" loud to guys like Grant Hill and Steve Nash on Twitter for being such good guys to root for both on and off the court. Gonna suck if/when they leave the Suns/retire.

The NBA needs so much revamping it's not even funny. The mentalities are ridiculous. Sometimes I feel like Michael Jordan did as much harm as he did great.

Do you hate superstars because they want to dictate where they play? Because that's about the only reason I can see hating Chris Paul. The guy was freakin' huge for the New Orleans community and didn't turn his request for a trade into the circus that Howard did, nor did he just bounce as a free agent leaving the team high and dry. Just trying to get a better handle on why you hate the star players so much.

Guest Sloth

+1

Couldn't agree more.

Crazy sequence of events just now. Gionta gets boarded and the refs let it go, Scuderi gets boarded on retaliation and Bernier will go to the box for 5 and a game misconduct. Scuderi bleeding profusely. Have to imagine Bernier gets suspended.

Guest Sloth

Just to express my own thoughts for tonight's game. I want LA to win the Cup. It's a team that has been in existence longer than the Sabres and they have yet to win one. My hopes are if LA wins it all, it'll give us hopes the Sabres will eventually win one. Pegula's bank helps a lot!

This will sound semi-contradictory though. I'd like NJ to win this game to push the series to a game 7. The pressure, intensity, entertainment, etc... of such a series is great to watch. In the end, I want the Kings hoisting the Cup. It'll give me a glimmer of hope the Sabres will do it one day. Hopefully very soon...

Crazy sequence of events just now. Gionta gets boarded and the refs let it go, Scuderi gets boarded on retaliation and Bernier will go to the box for 5 and a game misconduct. Scuderi bleeding profusely. Have to imagine Bernier gets suspended.

meh. I know the tv crew tried to make something of the Gionta hit, but IMO the two hits weren't even close.

Archived