2012 Stanley Cup Finals Kings vs Devils

TrueBlueGED

I can't really speak to the baseball names because I just don't know (or care), but no, I wouldn't. Brown, maybe.

Gretzky has his number retired by the entire league. That's a guy who needs a seperate list.

Jackie Robinson does too. If Gretzky had been #42 they never would have done that. 99 was unique enough to be iconic.

You should care about baseball. You'll like it if you give it a chance. Scout's Honor.

Wilt Chamberlain was the most dominant player in any sport ever. He exceeded the next best player (probably Russell) by more than Jordon exceeded Hakeem Olajuwon or Barkley. He still holds the all time single season scoring record.

You really wouldn't include Orr? I don't think you can have the Greztky/Jordon/Brown list without Orr on it.

What do you lurkers think?

Jackie Robinson does too. If Gretzky had been #42 they never would have done that. 99 was unique enough to be iconic.

You should care about baseball. You'll like it if you give it a chance. Scout's Honor.

Wilt Chamberlain was the most dominant player in any sport ever. He exceeded the next best player (probably Russell) by more than Jordon exceeded Hakeem Olajuwon or Barkley. He still holds the all time single season scoring record.

You really wouldn't include Orr? I don't think you can have the Greztky/Jordon/Brown list without Orr on it.

What do you lurkers think?

I'll bite ... :wub: .

Although I have not really followed this whole discussion I have read the posts and have enjoyed the back and forth.

IMO, my list would be of players that revolutionized their sport.

In my mind Wilt "The Stilt" did that in the NBA. Baseball ... not sure, NFL ... not sure, soccer ... not sure. There have been great players down through the ages in all those, but I'm not sure that any revolutionized the game in the same way.

I also feel that Bobby Orr revolutionized hockey. IMO, other greats over the years (both pre and post Orr) ... Gretzky, Lemieux ... have not done that. In some ways Hasek did that amongst goalies ... I can't think of one that played his style, to any success, prior to him and since many have adopted it, to some extent and to varying success.

Therefore, my list would start with Orr, then have Wilt and then end with Orr.

Think Marty gave them a heads up on his decision before they made this call?

I would imagine so. 29th pick in D heavy draft. hmmmm.

Or they plan on making a move to get Subban. Which could be the more likely reason, I wonder.

The last thing I ever heard on the subject was during last summer where Brodeur tried to get his divorce changed so he would pay less child support once his current contract expired. The sentiment then was that he would be retiring. Either way I personally think this is the year you ditch your 1st rounder. Parise will probably be gone, Brodeur may retire and your team is in near bankruptcy... next year you could end up with a top 5-10 pick but now you definitely wont.

The last thing I ever heard on the subject was during last summer where Brodeur tried to get his divorce changed so he would pay less child support once his current contract expired. The sentiment then was that he would be retiring. Either way I personally think this is the year you ditch your 1st rounder. Parise will probably be gone, Brodeur may retire and your team is in near bankruptcy... next year you could end up with a top 5-10 pick but now you definitely wont.

I don't think any of those things happen. I think Parise stays, and Brodeur signs at least a two year deal.

I don't think any of those things happen. I think Parise stays, and Brodeur signs at least a two year deal.

They won't give Brodeur a 2 year deal. From here on out, if he decides to stay, he goes on the Nick Lidstrom plan, getting one year contracts each season. They can't run the risk of him deciding to retire after one year and being stuck with the cap hit the following year due to his age.

They won't give Brodeur a 2 year deal. From here on out, if he decides to stay, he goes on the Nick Lidstrom plan, getting one year contracts each season. They can't run the risk of him deciding to retire after one year and being stuck with the cap hit the following year due to his age.

my thoughts exactly. Plus, I don't see Broduer himself thinking more than a year ahead at a time.

You're probably right. I should have said I expect him to play at least two more seasons. He's just one of those guys.

Brodeur is a interesting player to look back on. Did he revolutionize his sport or position? kinda. butterfly style was becoming the must have for goalies until he and Hasek started winning, he even had a rule added to the game cause of him (puckhandling trapizoid).

But he also played on a team that became known for the trap game and playing defense first second and last, also in my opinion he was never the best goalie in the league. To me he is simply a more talented Osgood that was in the right situation to win

Brodeur is a interesting player to look back on. Did he revolutionize his sport or position? kinda. butterfly style was becoming the must have for goalies until he and Hasek started winning, he even had a rule added to the game cause of him (puckhandling trapizoid).

But he also played on a team that became known for the trap game and playing defense first second and last, also in my opinion he was never the best goalie in the league. To me he is simply a more talented Osgood that was in the right situation to win

IMO, he's another one of those not so flashy, fundamentally sound goalies that seems to just do it easily, using his positioning and angles to make the best saves possible. he didn't revolutionize the game per say, but he was a fundamental cog/pillar on a team for nearly 2 decades. As was said above, he may not be the best ever at the position, but everything he achieved is not solely because of his defenses, because unlike the Sabres, the Devils have had a good amount of turnover in coaches and players since he's been around, and the only constant was him.

Besides Quick's daughter stealing the show their's a lot of good said here.

http://youtu.be/rPF5mqKPDvY

Quick's daughter is a real cutie.

A lot of good said is right, but that Sutter is a real sour-puss. He just won the cup and when he finally smiled I thought his face was going to crack.

If anyone feels like watching the Kings parade and stuff it's on NHL Network and here... http://video.kings.n...vid=DL|LAK|home

that's one sorry-ass parade, especially for L.A. which supposedly has millions of people.

Here's another report:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/06/stanley-cup-kings-fans-come-early-for-spot-along-parade-route.html

that's one sorry-ass parade, especially for L.A. which supposedly has millions of people that didn't know there was a hockey team.

Fixed. Never question whether Los Angeles is a sports mecca- it will never be.

The idiots that be made the cup presentation rally a ticketed event (instantly sold out) inside the Staples Center. So I could've taken vacation time and spend an hour each way on the train to go downtown to go see the cup. And for what? To watch it roll by for 10 seconds at the top of a double decker bus into a gated LA Live while lamenting how few people are around, how the Sabres would do things so much better, and how much better the Buffalo fanbase is.

We had a better party in '99 when we didn't bring it home, as 20,000 fans showed up to rally in Niagara Square.

And don't expect the City of Los Angeles to encourage fans to party any harder than what you're seeing. Because when fans have cause for celebration, that's when the riot gear comes out and the rubber bullets start flying. "Los Angeles police fired less-than-lethal rounds at a rowdy crowd of Kings fans Monday night...'The bottom line is this was a really good crowd, and they celebrated as normal adults do,' said Los Angeles Police Department Cmdr. Andrew Smith."

And don't get me started about how tailgating is outlawed for every professional LA sports team.

Edit: And while I'm thinking about it, here's what hockey fans have to deal with for local coverage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw3EkpXVWZM

Gotta love that. His kid plays a hard nose game. Buffalo could really use a guy like Nolan on their fourth line.

I'm really happy to see Quick get this cup. That kid has been my go to fantasy goalie for four seasons now and I can't not love him as a player after following him so closely.

Sucks that we're not watching our Sabres get it, but we'll get our chance.

They'd have to draft or trade for one first. Foligno is better than 4th line. ;)

• 1 month later...

Archived