2012 Stanley Cup Finals Kings vs Devils

TrueBlueGED

Finals start tonight! Finally! It feels like ages since the last hockey game.

I see LA taking it in 7. The Rangers were pretty much able to control play against NJ for the last 2 games, even though the Devils won them. LA is essentially a bigger and more talented version of the Rangers, so I see them giving the Devils a lot of problems with their forecheck. However, the Devils have by far the best and deepest group of forwards the Kings have faced so far. The Canucks were top-heavy (and without Sedin, not even), the Blues just have no star offensive forwards, nor did Phoenix. I think the Devils will be able to create the most consistent pressure the Kings have faced all post season with their aggressive forecheck and ability to roll 4 lines. I expect this to be a great series and I'll be really surprised if it's over quickly.

I don't like to make predicitions per se, but I would be surprised if the Kings don't take this series in five games. I reserve the right to change my outlook on the series after the second period of game one.

I think Brodeur is really the only player who can keep NJ from being swept - the team in front of him has its moments of slacking off. The Kings never seem to slack off, at least during the playoff series.

NJ's offense is predictable - Kovalchuk always floats around the blue line, whether the action is in the NJ zone or the opponents zone, and he waits. His game is very much like OV's game in this regard. A lot of dumping into the zone and corner play for the rest of the team.

It'll be interesting to see how this series plays out. I would like it to be interesting, but I expect the Kings to be able to clear their zone a lot easier than the Rangers did against NJ, and then be able to buzz around Brodeur with more consistency.

I think the kings take it in 5 and forecheck much harder than the devils expect. I think the kings will make brodeur look his age also. That is all ;)

So do the Kings play Simon Gagne at some point this series?

I read he and tallinder are both out for game 1 however both coaches wanted to utilize these players by game 2 or 3

NJ's offense is predictable - Kovalchuk always floats around the blue line, whether the action is in the NJ zone or the opponents zone, and he waits. His game is very much like OV's game in this regard. A lot of dumping into the zone and corner play for the rest of the team.

I disagree on this. Kovalchuk has amped up his game this season imo. He seems to actually know where his defensive zone is at and how to play the wing there. Also his neutral zone play seems much better then previous years

Devils in 6,

The Kings are coming off of a 8 day layoff and have only played 5 games in 23 days.

Barely playing has yet to effect the kings.

I have already made my call (called Kings about a month ago) and I am sticking with that. I think that this series comes down to 2 things:

Quick and Brodeur, these two guys will dictate the winner. Broduer is a legend and a hall of fame golie playing in what is most likely his last Stanley Cup appearence. He is a great puck mover and at 40yrs old he is still one of the best in the league. Quick is on a special level right now. His stats for the playoffs are insane. People may say that he has not had much work but all season (even when LA was playing like crap) Quick kept his team in game after game. This guy is the real deal an can carry a team if needed.

I am not saying how long this series will go but I can not be to upset no matter who wins. LA wins and I am happy because I have been pulling for them. NJ wins and I can respect Broduer winning 1 last stanley cup. Hope this is a great finals and we see some amazing hockey.

I disagree on this. Kovalchuk has amped up his game this season imo. He seems to actually know where his defensive zone is at and how to play the wing there. Also his neutral zone play seems much better then previous years

He's certainly more attentive in all zones. (after years of looking indifferent).

He's becoming the second best LW on the team. ;)

Archived