Concerts you plan to attend this year

Weave

So I had tickets for this show for quite some time, then last week it looked like I had a conflict so I had to dump them.  Yesterday morning the work obligation was canceled so I figured I'd try to get a ticket at the last minute.  Floor seats in the first 10 rows were going for $300-500 on the secondary market, so around noon I figured what the heck I'll try ticketmaster.. I scored row A of the lower bowl about 12 rows back stage left for face value.  

What a show boys and girls.  Rush just keeps getting better and better with age, it's truly a shame that this appears to be their last major tour, but quite frankly I'm amazed that Neil Peart can still play drums like he does at his age.  The show began with another great intro video, a cartoon of the band members and how their wardrobes and looks changed through time set to Rush music.  At the end of the video, it shows a Greensboro, NC road sign with a tagline of "We Do BBQ Better".  Interested to see what they use for the Buffalo show....

They opened with three songs off their most recent album Clockwork Angels, then proceeded to perform songs from albums in reverse chronological order throughout the show.  As they played roadies in the red Moving Pictures jumpsuits were changing out the stage set to correspond with what their stage looked like for the given time.  So they began with their massive current stage light show, back through the laser era, until the encore it looked they were playing in a high school gym with their amps set up on chairs. Very cool.

Some highlights..

I'm not a big fan of the Roll The Bones rap experiment, but they made it enjoyable this time with celebrity guests for the rap section including Paul Rudd, Jason Segel, the trailer park boys, someone from Game of Thrones and a few others I didn't recognize.

Complete version of Xanadu with Ged and Alex both on double neck guitars.

Both books of Cygnus X-1, The Voyage and Hemispheres.

Jacob's Ladder...with the obligatory smell of fine weed in the air

The Camera Eye.

Of course the Neil Peart drum solos which are worth the price of admission on their own.

The encore with video introduction by Eugene Levy dressed circa 1975 announcing " a nice little 3 piece that might need just a little more punch to their sound, and they once opened for Kiss, can you believe that?"  The curtain drops to the sparse stage set made to look like a high school gym and they launch into Lakeside Park, Anthem, What You're Doing and Working Man.

A show not to be missed.  

Goosebumps.

I forgot to mention a few other things.  At different times during the show they displayed fan submitted photos on the big screen backdrop from throughout the years.  There is a way to submit your photos through their website / twitter or something if anyone has any photos that they want to put in for the Buffalo show.

During the intermission I was approached by a guy who had a row 8 floor seat that he offered to switch with me because his back was bothering him.  The seat next to me was empty for the entire first set, and since I'm old too and don't want to stand the whole show either, I told him that he was welcome to join me.  We got to chatting and I told him about how I had scored the ticket earlier in the day and considered myself fortunate.  He then proceeds to tell me that he got his ticket as a gift from Neil Peart himself.  He is an author/journalist and he had the opportunity to interview Neil last year when his book came out.  After the show he gave me his card with his website so I could read the interview.  If anyone is a fan of Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson he also has an interview with him up there as well.

http://www.philsimon.com/blog/miscellany/neil-peart-interview/

I've never met a girl who liked Rush... Suspicions again raised! :)

I sat on the floor in Buffalo during the Counterparts tour (i think). Great show, but I'm not a huge Rush fan.

I wouldn't call my wife a fan, but she tolerates them better than my noisier bands.

I bought four tickets to the Vancouver show with the intention of asking some friends and was shocked when she and both daughters said they wanted to come.

Edited by dudacek

I sat on the floor in Buffalo during the Counterparts tour (i think). Great show, but I'm not a huge Rush fan.

Females at a Rush show are a rare breed indeed, but I must say that last night I noticed more than usual and many possessed a lot of the qualities prized by the superficial male.

Anyone planning on seeing the first of the Thursday Canalside concerts that start next week? June 4th is Matt & Kim which are a blast to see in person.

I have seen Matt & Kim on late night TV but never in person.  I love their energy.  As someone in their mid 50's, will I be out of place at the concert?

Females at a Rush show are a rare breed indeed, but I must say that last night I noticed more than usual and many possessed a lot of the qualities prized by the superficial male.

I was amazed at the amount of women at the show last night and the attractiveness of many of them myself.

Claude you just made me so much more excited. I can't believe they did Cygnus, I've always wanted to hear it live. Is that show exactly what they do everywhere else, will I see the same thing? And the songs? I don't know how tours work...

They rotate a few songs each night, but Cygnus I believe theyve played every show.

Edit:

Setlist: Thu, May 28 @ Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, NC

Setlist Version B

Set 1:

Video Intro (The World is ... The World is)

The Anarchist

The Wreckers

Headlong Flight (with Drumbastica mini drum solo)

Far Cry

The Main Monkey Business

How It Is

Animate

Roll The Bones (with celebrity rappers video)

Between the Wheels

Subdivisions

Intermission (R40 drum kit replaced with throwback replica kit)

Set 2:

Video Intro (No Country for Old Hens)

Tom Sawyer

The Camera Eye

The Spirit of Radio

Jacob's Ladder

Cygnus X-1 Book Two: Hemispheres - Prelude

Cygnus X-1 Book One - The Voyage: Prologue

Drum Solo

Cygnus X-1 Book One - The Voyage: Part 3

Closer To The Heart

Xanadu (double neck guitars)

2112 Overture/The Temples of Syrinx/Presentation/Grand Finale

Encore:

Video Intro (Mel's Rock Pile starring Eugene Levy)

Lakeside Park

Anthem

What You're Doing

Working Man (Garden Road riff at the end)

Video Outro (Exit Stage Left)

Edited by Claude_Verret

haha! I was brought into Rush by my father. Them and Van Halen are engrained in my brain because he played them constantly during my childhood.

I've got my tickets for the tenth in Buffalo, let us know how it is!! So pumped.

Me too... a week from Wednesday!  In fact, I might have a couple extra.... I bought 8 in the last row of 320, and I have a group of 5 or 6ish at the moment; if anyone's interested, PM me.

Does anyone have any experience with the Artpark up in Lewiston, NY?  Skynyrd is playing there Tuesday August 18.. I see GA tickets for $17?  Is GA decent?  Thanks in advance.

The T Hip are at CMAC in July. I've been a fan for

25 years. I saw Gordie crawling around the stage retreating from the "big fuggin bear". He was a "chimpanzee" at the aud when someone threw their bra onstage. "I remember, I remember buffalo...and it seems to me I remember every single fuggin thing I know!"

Enjoy the Rush show gentlemen and lady (assuming chz is going?)

I'll be there tonight; thanks for sharing your experience from a couple weeks ago.  You know, after getting all jacked up reading your post, I ended up looking up their whole setlists from this tour.  I don't think I've ever done this before a big concert; I hope it doesn't ruin it for me.

The T Hip are at CMAC in July. I've been a fan for

25 years. I saw Gordie crawling around the stage retreating from the "big fuggin bear". He was a "chimpanzee" at the aud when someone threw their bra onstage. "I remember, I remember buffalo...and it seems to me I remember every single fuggin thing I know!"

Ahh the Hip, another great live band. Once they opened for Rush at Maple Leaf Gardens on the roll the bones tour. Wish i could have seen that one!

As I've been told, the " I remember Buffalo..." line you quoted is in reference to a show I attended at UB where some jackass threw a boot at Gord and they promptly canceled the show.