Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Anyone run the Sabres record with and without Hodgson in the lineup this year?

One could (9-22-2 with vs. 3-4-2 without; p-value for difference of wins proportions: 0.72), but even if it had been significant, it would be impossible to separate it from any "new coach effect" since he's missed 9 of the last 11 games (and none before that.)

I'm not giving you the Hmmmmr. :w00t:

Not a good time anyway....been outside clearing snow for the past 36 hours....my Corsi number is down.....

One could (9-22-2 with vs. 3-4-2 without; p-value for difference of wins proportions: 0.72), but even if it had been significant, it would be impossible to separate it from any "new coach effect" since he's missed 9 of the last 11 games (and none before that.)

The "new coach effect" did include him getting demoted to the 3rd line before he got hurt.

That's the reason I really bumped the thread. Has anyone really missed Hodgson? It seems the team has been morphing into it's new identity without him, and even though you are replacing your supposed best offensive player with the 30th guy on the depth chart, does anyone really care? It seems Moulson got his mojo going when teamed with Ennis and Girgs.

Kassian has a lot to prove to make it look like a mistake, that's for sure...but he's got as many goals as Hodgson now, is on the upswing with his ice time and responsibility, and potted most of those goals not playing with anyone named Sedin or Vanek. At least in the past month, the trajectories of the 2 players have crossed....hence the revisit.

Anyone run the Sabres record with and without Hodgson in the lineup this year?

While I am on the Deluca/Ghost side of this issue, the win-loss without Hodgson isn't as good as you might think. He only played 5 games in December but the Sabres won 3, including the win in Boston when he barely played.

NHL.com does this stat for you. Go to player stats, then use the splits tab

sabres are 12-30 total

In Hodgson's games, the sabres are 9-24

so they are 3-6 without him

A few other part timers

Weber 8-20

Ellis 5-5

Larsson 5-15

D'Agostini 7-9

McBain 10-20

McCormick 6-19

Tallinder 10-24

Rolston 4-16

Nolan 8-14

to me this is an exercise in futility given the way this season has played out. Every night is a crapshoot as to which Sabres team shows up to play. Hodgson at his best can be our #1a center. He scores. He plays well on the PP. He does what he is supposed to do.

I believe he is 1 piece with which to start the rebuilding of this team around.

Not a good time anyway....been outside clearing snow for the past 36 hours....my Corsi number is down.....

The "new coach effect" did include him getting demoted to the 3rd line before he got hurt.

That's the reason I really bumped the thread. Has anyone really missed Hodgson? It seems the team has been morphing into it's new identity without him, and even though you are replacing your supposed best offensive player with the 30th guy on the depth chart, does anyone really care? It seems Moulson got his mojo going when teamed with Ennis and Girgs.

Kassian has a lot to prove to make it look like a mistake, that's for sure...but he's got as many goals as Hodgson now, is on the upswing with his ice time and responsibility, and potted most of those goals not playing with anyone named Sedin or Vanek. At least in the past month, the trajectories of the 2 players have crossed....hence the revisit.

I remember Nolan saying that he was splitting up the first line (with Coho and Moulson) because he wanted to try spreading out the offensive talent, since it was too easy for teams to focus in on that line. I don't remember him specifically being on a "third line" (how would you know?), but since he missed two games, came back and then left two games later, injuries could have been a factor.

Believe it or not, their offense (GPG) is down 16% with Hodgson out (disclaimer: I have not tested it for significance) and I do believe that they would have been better with him, even if it were on a different line than Moulson.

Edited by carpandean

I remember Nolan saying that he was splitting up the first line (with Coho and Moulson) because he wanted to try spreading out the offensive talent, since it was too easy for teams to focus in on that line. I don't remember him specifically being on a "third line" (how would you know?), but since he missed two games, came back and then left two games later, injuries could have been a factor.

Believe it or not, their offense (GPG) is down 16% with Hodgson out (disclaimer: I have not tested it for significance) and I do believe that they would have been better with him, even if it were on a different line than Moulson.

Me too, and I'd guess that close to 100% of the posters here agree.

agreed. good post.

Since about the time Hodgson went down, Ennis has been playing like an animal. If Ennis continues to play this way when Hodgson comes back, I think he will have alot fewer eyes on him. Hopefully with the reduced pressure his numbers will start to improve. Oh yeah and f*** Zack Kassian.

I think the more relevant observation is that Ennis' and Moulson's games have improved since being paired.

They complement each other well, whereas Cody and Matt weren't a great fit.

Matt should only touch the puck when he's shooting.

He needs to play with a puck handler to get defenders moving, so he can swoop in for tips and rebounds.

Hodgson needs to be with a give-and-go guy.

I don't think Omark is the long-term answer, but I am hoping Teddy gives that pair a shot, preferably with Marcus on the other wing.

Edited by dudacek

I think the more relevant observation is that Ennis' and Moulson's games have improved since being paired.

They complement each other well, whereas Cody and Matt weren't a great fit.

Matt should only touch the puck when he's shooting.

He needs to play with a puck handler to get defenders moving, so he can swoop in for tips and rebounds.

Hodgson needs to be with a give-and-go guy.

I don't think Omark is the long-term answer, but I am hoping Teddy gives that pair a shot, preferably with Marcus on the other wing.

CoughDalColleCough

In all seriousness, CoHo's offensive prowess on this team heavily outweighs his defensive errors because lets face it, this team has no offense.

Since about the time Hodgson went down, Ennis has been playing like an animal. If Ennis continues to play this way when Hodgson comes back, I think he will have alot fewer eyes on him. Hopefully with the reduced pressure his numbers will start to improve. Oh yeah and f*** Zack Kassian.

So far this seems to be playing out. Although with less offensively gifted players, he's been generating more points as a 2nd line center.

Where was that guy in Buffalo & Rochester? Glad we got Hodgy for him but he probably wouldn't have been traded if he acted half as crazy as he's been this season.

How is he useful if he's not available for 1/5 of the game or more? This isn't BJS we're talking about; it's a guy who is supposed to be physical AND an offensive contributor.

Edited by Eleven