Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

I'm also annoyed how we get this thread bumped every week when kassian does anything relevant. But I can do it with cody far more often :)

That's just not true.

Hodgson had a nice game last night and produced some offense. Good for him and the Sabres, lets not pretend it happens often because it's just not true.

That's just not true.

Hodgson had a nice game last night and produced some offense. Good for him and the Sabres, lets not pretend it happens often because it's just not true.

Haha I'm just messing with you and PA. I do think I could update it more as one player gets goals and assists at a much higher rate than the other (it's really not even close) but I'm not going to bump it anymore :)

That's just not true.

Hodgson has 29 points in 42 games. (.69 PPG)

Kassian has 15 points in 48 games. (.32 PPG)

Not sure where the debate is...

Last 10 games (in case improvement is argued):

Hodgson has 6 goals, 4 assists (4 goals, 2 assists 5-on-5)

Kassian has 3 goals, 3 assists (2 goals, 3 assists 5-on-5)

Adjusting for TOI (per minute):

Hodgson generated 0.0363 GPM, 0.0242 APM

Kassian generated 0.0224 GPM, 0.0224 APM

Edited by carpandean

Kassian has the better toothless grin. That's pretty cool.

Kassian also looks like Animal, the drummer from the Muppets' house band Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem.

So there is that too.

Hodgson at best looks a little like this kid from Lord of the Flies

LordoftheFlies1990-Still6.jpg?partner=allmovie_soap

Edited by X. Benedict

The age old debate of a one dimensional player compared to a player that can bring more to the rink than just offense.

Last 10 games (in case improvement is argued):

Hodgson has 6 goals, 4 assists (4 goals, 2 assists 5-on-5)

Kassian has 3 goals, 3 assists (2 goals, 3 assists 5-on-5)

Adjusting for TOI (per minute):

Hodgson generated 0.0363 GPM, 0.0242 APM

Kassian generated 0.0224 GPM, 0.0224 APM

You would think there would be a greater disparity when it comes to offense considering it's all Hodgson has to offer.

They had a great conversation on Hodgson on WGR yesterday and pretty much nailed it on the head. Hodgson is a third line center who will get power play time. He is far too poor a defender which causes a huge mismatch for the Sabres when Hodgson plays against top line centers.

The age old debate of a one dimensional player compared to a player that can bring more to the rink than just offense.

You would think there would be a greater disparity when it comes to offense considering it's all Hodgson has to offer.

They had a great conversation on Hodgson on WGR yesterday and pretty much nailed it on the head. Hodgson is a third line center who will get power play time. He is far too poor a defender which causes a huge mismatch for the Sabres when Hodgson plays against top line centers.

Ah yes. This mythical team with a 60 point third line centre returns. As we all know, the first line centre should be putting up a 100 point campaign, the second an 80 pointer, Hodgson can then hold down the third line role and then we hope to sign someone for the fourth line. Perhaps Backes.

Ah yes. This mythical team with a 60 point third line centre returns. As we all know, the first line centre should be putting up a 100 point campaign, the second an 80 pointer, Hodgson can then hold down the third line role and then we hope to sign someone for the fourth line. Perhaps Backes.

On a team that wants to go deep into the playoffs, Hodgson is a third line center at best. On a team that wants to win the Stanley Cup, he's a wing because there are four better centers in front of him.

And since we aren't looking at these players as young decoupling players, what of kassian? What role does a player who is on pace for 200 pim, 30 points, and a -10 rating year get? The best part of it? Kassian is shooting an abnormally high shooting percentage this year, meaning it's not a sustainable pace and not something that will be repeated.

4th line checker? Healthy scratch?

Edited by Numark

Huh???? Your top line center shouldnt be playing against top line centers.... they should be playing against the third line...... Your third line center is the guy who should be defensively minded going up against top lines.....

On a team that wants to go deep into the playoffs, Hodgson is a third line center at best. On a team that wants to win the Stanley Cup, he's a wing because there are four better centers in front of him.

I honestly don't know if you're playing along or being serious. I will, however, point out that CoHo is in the top 60 centres for points THIS year. On a team this bad he is still ranks as a top 2 centerman league-wide. For those who struggle at maths, there are 30 teams, therefore by definition there are 30 first line centres and another 30 second line centres. I appreciate that points doesn't show the whole story, but he has been much better in his own zone than people give him credit for. He has improved and historically he has possessed a two-way game.

For those who struggle at maths, there are 30 teams, therefore by definition there are 30 first line centres and another 30 second line centres.

You're wrong. On this board there are 10-12 first line centres, 27 second line centres and 30-35 third line centres.

All the other centres are Sabres, or used to be.

I honestly don't know if you're playing along or being serious. I will, however, point out that CoHo is in the top 60 centres for points THIS year. On a team this bad he is still ranks as a top 2 centerman league-wide. For those who struggle at maths, there are 30 teams, therefore by definition there are 30 first line centres and another 30 second line centres. I appreciate that points doesn't show the whole story, but he has been much better in his own zone than people give him credit for. He has improved and historically he has possessed a two-way game.

I just think of it this way, look at the teams that are going make deep runs into the playoffs this year. What centers on the first two lines of those teams would you replace Hodgson with to make them better or the same?

You're wrong. On this board there are 10-12 first line centres, 27 second line centres and 30-35 third line centres.

All the other centres are Sabres, or used to be.

I thought the goal was to win the Stanley cup? Who cares about the 13-30 first line centers?

I just think of it this way, look at the teams that are going make deep runs into the playoffs this year. What centers on the first two lines of those teams would you replace Hodgson with to make them better or the same?

I thought the goal was to win the Stanley cup? Who cares about the 13-30 first line centers?

Honestly? You wanna do this? I will look it up quick and put together a list of current playoff teams centers... Gimme a minute

Never mind. This will take way too long. However, Hodgson is easily a second or first line center on a playoff team. There isnt really even a debate. Every single GM in the league would love to have a young center that produces the way that Hodgson does.

Edited by FolignosJock

Bruins top three when they won the Cup (by board standards) was an OK second-line centre (Krecji) and excellent third-line centre (Bergeron) and an OK third-line centre (Kelly)

Huh???? Your top line center shouldnt be playing against top line centers.... they should be playing against the third line...... Your third line center is the guy who should be defensively minded going up against top lines.....

Most teams play their top line center against the opponents top line center. Exceptions I found last year were Colorado and Toronto. I have not made my charts this year to answer about this year.

My theory on this is that it really screws up your salary structure if you play third line to first line. A good example last year was Grabovski being undervalued because he was on the third line playing against first liners. Additionally, Kadri gets a nice contract because he an Lupel face easy competition

But you are not alone in believing this, Dark 4 will be by soon to call me nuts.

Edited by RCentered

Bruins top three when they won the Cup (by board standards) was an OK second-line centre (Krecji) and excellent third-line centre (Bergeron) and an OK third-line centre (Kelly)

Beat me to it. In a similar vein, the Sabres' best team in forever had Briere, Drury, TC and Roy as its centers. No Crosby or Malkin or Toews there but 3 solid "#2 centers" plus Roy centering the dynamite "third line" with Max and Vanek.

Hodgson is good enough to be a #2 center in a situation like those (and it's worth remembering that there are very few true franchise centers anyway). He's also a young player with a great attitude who is going to keep improving.

Most teams play their top line center against the opponents top line center. Exceptions I found last year were Colorado and Toronto. I have not made my charts this year to answer about this year.

My theory on this is that is really screws up your salary structure if you play third line to first line. A good example last year was Grabovski was undervalued because he was on the third line playing against first liners. Additionally, Kadri gets a nice contract because he an Lupel face easy competition

But you are not alone in believing this, Dark 4 will be by soon to call me nuts.

I dont believe this at all. I also would like to know where you got the info to compile that.

Beat me to it. In a similar vein, the Sabres' best team in forever had Briere, Drury, TC and Roy as its centers. No Crosby or Malkin or Toews there but 3 solid "#2 centers" plus Roy centering the dynamite "third line" with Max and Vanek.

Hodgson is good enough to be a #2 center in a situation like those (and it's worth remembering that there are very few true franchise centers anyway). He's also a young player with a great attitude who is going to keep improving.

And we lost.

Minnesota - Charlie Coyle

Tampa Bay - Tyler Johnson

Anaheim - Mathieu Perreault

St Louis - Patrik Berglund

Chicago - Bandon Pirri

So 5 out of top 10 teams. The other five teams are rare, and possess unusually good centremen.

Pens - Crosby and Malkin

Boston - Krejci and Bergeron

San Jose - Thornton and Marleau

Colorado - Duchenne and Mackinnon

LA - Kopitar and Richards

It is also of note that 80% of those centres who are better than Hodgson are also older than him by a few years

Edited by ThirtyEight