Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

This is what I mean.....bash a guy instead of watching him progress. The kid is a bigger, more talented, scarier version of Steve Ott right now, who just needs the experience to learn when to push the envelope and when to ignore stuff. His teammates love him. With Tortorella, he just has to keep transitioning that strength and energy from playful pit bull puppy, to junk yard dog.

The past month he has started taking form. He has gotten some 2nd line and powerplay time. Even if you compare him to Hodgson....Hodgson has 1 more goal, and 1 more regular strength point. This, playing on the 1st line and #1PP most of the year versus a 3rd line and 5 minutes less a game.

Given all the change in the front office, and with Ted Nolan aboard, the direction of the Sabres makes this trade much more of a moot point....but I still don't get how 1) People need to bash the guy from day one, and 2) Can't admit that the skillset and brute force the guy has was a rarity that was shipped out for a guy with similar charter and talent to the rest of the current Sabres.

The whole "Concept" issue that gets tossed about like he was some sort of failure....Kassian was 14 months older than Grigorenko is right now when he was traded. I'd like to compare opinions on the projected outlook and internal value of both by the same posters.

Look at the talent Kassian has around him compared to Hogson. Not to mention with the Sedins taking the heavy defensive assignments from the other team that opens the game up more. Hodgson is the one who other teams send their best defense out for. Also Kassian has a crazy high shooting percentage (near 20%). That won't last (c.f. Drew Stafford's high shooting percentage year)

Look at the talent Kassian has around him compared to Hogson. Not to mention with the Sedins taking the heavy defensive assignments from the other team that opens the game up more. Hodgson is the one who other teams send their best defense out for. Also Kassian has a crazy high shooting percentage (near 20%). That won't last (c.f. Drew Stafford's high shooting percentage year)

Good stuff here.

Isn't Hodgson's upside pretty much Roy?

But with more dedication to his craft and more long term upside resulting in a decent offensive player who can learn his defensive requirements. We hope. Oh and screw Derek Roy.

But with more dedication to his craft and more long term upside resulting in a decent offensive player who can learn his defensive requirements. We hope. Oh and screw Derek Roy.

I've got to be like the worst Sabres fan ever. I feel like I liked or at least didn't dislike all the people I'm supposed to. Loved Miro, didn't hat Max or Timmay, and I actually liked Derek Roy. Wtf is wrong with me?

I mean, I get it. He partied/didn't work as hard as people thought he should. but I always thought Roy produced in the offensive zone and I'm a guy that watches hockey for the scoring.

#10 for Kassian last night, a game winner. The kid could reach 20.

He could....but once H. Sedin comes back, and Torterrella comes back from suspension......Zack is going to be buried at 10 minutes a game.

If Vancouver adds a piece at the deadline - Kassian could be traded or, quite likely, a semi-regular guest in the press box. He's just not going to get the minutes IMO. He's not Torts guy.

So nfreeman, I'd take the bet.

Edited by X. Benedict

He could....but once H. Sedin comes back, and Torterrella comes back from suspension......Zack is going to be buried at 10 minutes a game.

If Vancouver adds a piece at the deadline - Kassian could be traded or, quite likely, a semi-regular guest in the press box. He's just not going to get the minutes IMO. He's not Torts guy.

Oh my, what will happen to Drane if his favorite coach stunts the development of his favorite prospect? Would it be like George's worlds colliding?

Physical with some offensive ability? The Canucks have no need for those qualities come playoff time. :blink:

Kassian is giving the Canucks exactly what they needed when they traded for him. His value is on the rise. B-)

Physical with some offensive ability? The Canucks have no need for those qualities come playoff time. :blink:

Kassian is giving the Canucks exactly what they needed when they traded for him. His value is on the rise. B-)

Interesting that Kassian is considered physical yet him and Stafford have the same number of hits in the same number of games.

Interesting that Kassian is considered physical yet him and Stafford have the same number of hits in the same number of games.

I'm still very optimistic about Kassian, but it is one step forward - two steps back for players like him.

He could turn into a bull in front of the net - but for now he prefers the perimeter.

He could become a monster in the corners - for now - he's not a very good forechecker.(good with possession however)

He could become a solid two way player - for now he's a defensive liability.

He could be a top 6 player - for now he's a 10 minute 3rd liner that gets time on 2nd unit power play.

He's a very teasing player - great hands and size - but also the questionable skating that comes with it.

I think he's really 2 years away from becoming a consistent player. But I think he will get there.

Vancouver, however, is running out of time: in two years the twins will be 35, Luongo 36.....and their top D pair into mid-thirties.

Furthermore, I don't think Torts is going to give Kassian quality minutes. Don't be surprised to see Vancouver move him. Vancouver is going to have

cap issues next year, and Kassian's entry level deal is already over.

How much do you pay Zack Kassian if you are Mike Gillis?

Stafford does play about 5 more minutes a game than Kassian.

I believe Stafford's increased physical play had been mentioned over the last couple of years. Unfortunately for Stafford and the Sabres it hasn't made Stafford a more effective player. Just like it doesn't put Stafford in Bobby Ryan's league as someone around here tried to argue. :rolleyes:

I'm still very optimistic about Kassian, but it is one step forward - two steps back for players like him.

He could turn into a bull in front of the net - but for now he prefers the perimeter.

He could become a monster in the corners - for now - he's not a very good forechecker.(good with possession however)

He could become a solid two way player - for now he's a defensive liability.

He could be a top 6 player - for now he's a 10 minute 3rd liner that gets time on 2nd unit power play.

He's a very teasing player - great hands and size - but also the questionable skating that comes with it.

I think he's really 2 years away from becoming a consistent player. But I think he will get there.

Vancouver, however, is running out of time: in two years the twins will be 35, Luongo 36.....and their top D pair into mid-thirties.

Furthermore, I don't think Torts is going to give Kassian quality minutes. Don't be surprised to see Vancouver move him. Vancouver is going to have

cap issues next year, and Kassian's entry level deal is already over.

How much do you pay Zack Kassian if you are Mike Gillis?

Kassian has played his best hockey under Tortarella. He has a lot of momentum right now.

Kassian should be valued about $1.5 - $1.75 mil a season. Something close to Zach Smith's contract with Ottawa would be a good contract for the Canucks.

Edited by deluca67

Why are we still talking about him? Go join a Canucks forum. He was a first round pick and is showing potential....good for him I hope he has a great career. We traded him years ago, Hodgson has been developing just fine and filled a bigger hole for us and has shown more promise. What's the deal with the obsession over kassian

I think it's night and day when comparing Hodgson and Kassian.

For one, Kassian is playing with immensely gifted offensive players in Vancouver from time to time. Their depth in that line up is decent.

The second thing is the roles they both play, until we get Hodgson some consistent scoring wingers he's going to remain at the numbers he's putting out now roughly.