Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

My sense is that the lines will not fundamentally alter much for the rest of the season. I think Brad Boyes benefits most from this trade. My sense is that the lines will be:

Vanek-Roy-Pominville

Leino-Ennis-Stafford

Gerbe-Hodgson-Boyes

McCormick/Adam-Ellis-Kaleta

I think the fourth line turns into the "shutdown" line with now 3 scoring lines. But, if Hodgson is putting up points with fairly limited talent as linemates, I could see him simply moving into Gaustad's spot with Gerbe and Kaleta. Either way, I think this is a good addition to get some center depth with a true center and not some makeshift guy. We may lose more faceoffs without Gaustad, but I think this is a major upgrade in talent at the center position which has been desperately needed.

....and Kassian isn't the "tough guy" everyone wants him to be. Is he tougher than Stafford? Yea, ok, but way to set the bar low. I love the trade.

How do we know Kassian isnt the tough guy? He was told to tone it down and learn the finer points of playing wing in the NHL..So he is learning that and toning it down so the media says after we deal him he wasnt all that tough...LOL..BS...We need to get bigger tougher and we go smaller quicker again....I think that is the way the Sabres think they can win in the NHL...McNabb will be gone next yr.....

I hope Hodgson is what they say he is and evrything works out fine but damn the Sabres sure send confusing signals on which way they want to take this team to say the least..

http://www.vancouver...html?id=6045930

The coach doesn't come out and say it but when you watch games you see things. Little things.

But the start they had together probably tells the tale

Anf FTR he is not soft. He's fairly sneaky, good at gettin pucks out of feet and super aware of the ice. His vision cannot be taught. He has a great shot too. See tim thomas last game they played.

Thanks...

Whoops! His daddy hates the coach? Uh oh!

My sense is that the lines will not fundamentally alter much for the rest of the season. I think Brad Boyes benefits most from this trade. My sense is that the lines will be:

Vanek-Roy-Pominville

Leino-Ennis-Stafford

Gerbe-Hodgson-Boyes

I think the fourth line turns into the "shutdown" line with now 3 scoring lines. But, if Hodgson is putting up points with fairly limited talent as linemates, I could see him simply moving into Gaustad's spot with Gerbe and Kaleta. Either way, I think this is a good addition to get some center depth with a true center and not some makeshift guy. We may lose more faceoffs without Gaustad, but I think this is a major upgrade in talent at the center position which has been desperately needed.

That 4th line doesn't have the talent to be a shutdown line. Not a decent skater among them. Seems to me that we're back to rolling 3 scoring lines and one energy line. I'm cool with that.

How do we know Kassian isnt the tough guy? He was told to tone it down and learn the finer points of playing wing in the NHL..

Source please?

I live out in Portland and have a lot of friends that are vancouver fans...real hockey fans too. they are furious right now. my one friend says Hodgson is clutch and most likely will be our captain some day. he has no clue how they could have moved him. i personally think that kassian and mag will do really well in vancouver and that they really are not getting shafted, and it is great that we are getting what we need. a real center.

then reading on the comments that someone had posted earlier...he was compared to RNH.

i am all about kassian, but this kid sounds legit. congrats darcy on doing an excellent job today ( including the goose trade ).

this makes going into the FA and the draft very exciting. we really have options. now imagine we get parise!!!!

very happy sabres fan.

go sabres!

now fail for nail!

How do we know Kassian isnt the tough guy? He was told to tone it down and learn the finer points of playing wing in the NHL..

So, you're saying Lindy took him aside and told him not to put himself out of position by finishing checks like he has with everybody else in his 15 years here? Please. How do we know that Kassian didn't arrive at FNC and sniff the nice calming gas they pump thru the place and decide he would take his own game out of his game ;)

Edited by TheChimp

Vanek-Roy-Pominville

Leino-Ennis-Stafford

Gerbe-Hodgson-Boyes

That's 53 minutes of soft play still from your front 9.

I like the Gaustad trade, but we still have the same lowest common denominator. No toughness or leaders in your top 9. Gaustad was probably your best case.

This is the problem with waiting. Anaheim was in freefall in the middle of the year. Would you have traded Kassian, Stafford and Gragnani for Getzlaff? At the time...you probably could have gotten that deal looked at.

I like the Gaustad trade, but we still have the same lowest common denominator. No toughness or leaders in your top 9. Gaustad was probably your best case.

This is the problem with waiting. Anaheim was in freefall in the middle of the year. Would you have traded Kassian, Stafford and Gragnani for Getzlaff? At the time...you probably could have gotten that deal looked at.

They wanted Myers.

Vanek - Ennis - Pominville

Leino - Hodgson - Stafford

Gerbe - Roy - Kaleta

Adam - Szczechura - Boyes

Where does Ellis and McCormick go?

I like the center pairings - i'd like to see Roy on the third line since he is the best defensive center of the three (unless Hodgson is really that much of a 2 way). Keep Adam in ROC to give him some serious ice time and confidence.

Where does Ellis and McCormick go?

I like the center pairings - i'd like to see Roy on the third line since he is the best defensive center of the three (unless Hodgson is really that much of a 2 way). Keep Adam in ROC to give him some serious ice time and confidence.

Oh if Adam's already back in ROC leave him there, I haven't been paying attention. Ellis obviously goes there then. And I thought McCormick was still hurt, too. Like I said, I've been kinda MIA with the cats, sorry, maybe I should just not post right now LOL

Only for 20 more games and I can live with that ... I have the utmost confidence that size and grit will be added over the summer. Foligno will be up next year as well and Boyes will be long gone as will either Roy or Stafford via trade.

Hodgson captained his world Jr. team and the Brampton Battalion.

Also, throwing out hypothetical scenarios is sorta BS. You can't make up something in your own mind and then use your hypothetical scenario to bolster your desire to kick the current management in the shin. Well, you can - but some of us see it for what it is.

Oh if Adam's already back in ROC leave him there, I haven't been paying attention. Ellis obviously goes there then. And I thought McCormick was still hurt, too. Like I said, I've been kinda MIA with the cats, sorry, maybe I should just not post right now LOL

I think McC is still on the shelf, but I just wanted to point out that we have plenty of guys to fill that 4th line winger slot without having to waste Adam in that spot. He needs ice time and to succeed in the AHL.

I think McC is still on the shelf, but I just wanted to point out that we have plenty of guys to fill that 4th line winger slot without having to waste Adam in that spot. He needs ice time and to succeed in the AHL.

Hey, preachin to the choir, there. I mean, yeah, he had an amazing first few weeks on the top line and then he drank some bad Kool Aid and his game left him and since then he's been another ghost in Blue and Gold. Edited by TheChimp

Vanek-Roy-Pominville

Leino-Ennis-Stafford

Gerbe-Hodgson-Boyes

I want to see:

Vanek Hodgson Pominville

Ennis Roy Stafford

Leino Adam Boyes

Tropp McCormick/Ellis Kaleta

26-Hodgson-29

21-63-23

22-9-42

36-37(ugh!)-8 (or 78/82)

Honestly, I'd rather have Tropp & Foligno in the lineup over Ellis & Boyes but we know that ain't gonna happen. Either way, it should give the team 3 scoring lines.

• Like (+1) 1

So, you're saying Lindy took him aside and told him not to put himself out of position by finishing checks like he has with everybody else in his 15 years here? Please. How do we know that Kassian didn't arrive at FNC and sniff the nice calming gas they pump thru the place and decide he would take his own game out of his game ;)

What I am saying is they told Kassian to learn how to position himself, win the battle in the corners and in front of the net and to tone down his over aggresiveness... That takes time to learn when your use to blasting everyone in and around you. Its a learning curve...

26-Hodgson-29

21-63-23

22-9-42

36-37(ugh!)-8 (or 78/82)

Honestly, I'd rather have Tropp & Foligno in the lineup over Ellis & Boyes but we know that ain't gonna happen. Either way, it should give the team 3 scoring lines.

I definitely would like to see this lineup. Especially when I read and hear that Hodgson is a very hard worker and likes to shoot. From what I have been reading we should be very happy with this acquisition and hopefully Hodgy can get time with vanek and pommers and can gel with them.

Theoretically Regier just pulled off the impossible... he got a #1 center but time will tell if thats the case.

What I am saying is they told Kassian to learn how to position himself, win the battle in the corners and in front of the net and to tone down his over aggresiveness... That takes time to learn when your use to blasting everyone in and around you. Its a learning curve...

Agreed.