Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Bottom line...I love this trade. I hate to give up Kassian, but the Sabres were in such dire straights for a scoring center who can play NOW that they had to give up something decent in return. The top 6/7 that will finish the season(Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Ennis, Leino, Hodgson & Stafford), cannot be the same come October. It is just too soft. It needs to change! Darcy needs at least one hard nosed winger to add to the mix.

Lots of early draft picks and lots of blue line depth. The ammo is there to go out and find one.

As much as I hope Foligno succeeds where Kassian "failed", this is pure conjecture, too. Just like this very talk about kassian before he got his 35-game debut with Lindy's girls.

Everybody I've talked to that sees Foligno on a regular basis as well as those who post here on a regular basis, have noted the consistent physical play that he brings to the rink each and every game. Indeed, they've often lamented how much they wish Kassian would do the same when they were together in Rochester. I don't think that's conjecture. I've seen every one of his "35-game debut with Lindy's girls" and I have yet to see Kassian bring his physical presence on a consistent basis. That is not conjecture, either.

I don't confuse being a great fighter that doesn't back down when challenged to drop the gloves with being a physically tough player to to play against. Kassian isn't there yet.

GO SABRES!!!

What I find interesting is that Foligno really didn't start playing physical until Kassian went up Buffalo. Both guys were disappointments early in the season in Rochester regarding their toughness IMO. I'm glad to see Foligno has picked it up and has been consistent with his toughness the second half of the year. I want to see this new guy Gongalsky that was just signed by Rochester make an impression. He is one nasty dude to play against.

A week ago I was playing with hypothetical Sabres rosters for next season after the inevitable dumping of Darcy, Lindy, and the finesse slackers and I saw this Gongalsky guy and almost choked on my potato chips. Dude looks like a bad mo-fo.

Everybody I've talked to that sees Foligno on a regular basis as well as those who post here on a regular basis, have noted the consistent physical play that he brings to the rink each and every game. Indeed, they've often lamented how much they wish Kassian would do the same when they were together in Rochester. I don't think that's conjecture. I've seen every one of his "35-game debut with Lindy's girls" and I have yet to see Kassian bring his physical presence on a consistent basis. That is not conjecture, either.

I don't confuse being a great fighter that doesn't back down when challenged to drop the gloves with being a physically tough player to to play against. Kassian isn't there yet.

GO SABRES!!!

The observations from Amerks fans go a long way. I think it's hard for people to wrap their minds around the negatives of Kassian if they haven't seen him play for the Amerks. He's very...invisible. He just hasn't developed into the player we wish he was, while players like Foligno have shown their talent is real.

Because their sole purpose here is to annoy.

Yup.

Stafford doesn't get that deal done, what what is the relevance?

What deal? The one out of a thousand we might have made with one of 30 different teams? I'm not saying Vancouver would have done the deal if what we were offering was our slackers. Someone might have taken Roy and another team might have taken Stafford, given us picks, and we could have used them to get a guy LIKE Hodgson, I dunno. The relevance is, I'm not sitting here thinking that the only deal on the board for the Sabres was Hodgson.

What deal? The one out of a thousand we might have made with one of 30 different teams? I'm not saying Vancouver would have done the deal if what we were offering was our slackers. Someone might have taken Roy and another team might have taken Stafford, given us picks, and we could have used them to get a guy LIKE Hodgson, I dunno. The relevance is, I'm not sitting here thinking that the only deal on the board for the Sabres was Hodgson.

What if it was? You seem to like to be contrarian, but you don't like it when others reciprocate.

Edited by d4rksabre
  • Like (+1) 2

OH OK well than here is a tip, get the ###### out of the kassian for hodgson thread

The observations from Amerks fans go a long way. I think it's hard for people to wrap their minds around the negatives of Kassian if they haven't seen him play for the Amerks. He's very...invisible. He just hasn't developed into the player we wish he was, while players like Foligno have shown their talent is real.

Essentially what those of us have seen in every one of his NHL games as well. If those observations from Amerks fans were diametrically opposed to mine, I'd wonder what the deal is. But Kassian has shown the same maddening lack of physical presence at both professional levels, that I'm quite confident he just isn't there as a pro yet.

GO SABRES!!!

I'm not being contrarian, I'm stating that everybody is taking not only my comments but GoDD's totally out of context. Maybe I should change my username, this is getting dumb now.

No one is taking your remarks out of context. You're just being cranky that they're actually combating you on them.

Nice trading Darcy!!!! Wow you landed us a very good center with a fantastic upside. Goose, love having him as a Sabre,,, but ++++1111 for a first. I have no problem with Kassian and

Gragnani moving on. Good luck to them in their development. How did I end up with Mr Connelly as my avitar???

Edited by macsabre

Couldn't agree more. I've seen quite a few Amerks games this year and he does not leave much of an impression. Sure, he can knock the hell out of a guy if he gets into a fight, but I think we need more than a good boxer. He just did not appear to be wired to play a physical game.. never looking for a check, open ice hit, etc. Just because someone is big does not mean they are going to be a bruiser. Foligno on the other hand has impressed me not so much with his offense (which has been fine), but the constant effort I see from him on a nightly basis to play physical.

I'm not being contrarian, I'm stating that everybody is taking not only my comments but GoDD's totally out of context. Maybe I should change my username, this is getting dumb now.

Remember, it's not you - it is everyone else...

Couldn't agree more. I've seen quite a few Amerks games this year and he does not leave much of an impression. Sure, he can knock the hell out of a guy if he gets into a fight, but I think we need more than a good boxer. He just did not appear to be wired to play a physical game.. never looking for a check, open ice hit, etc. Just because someone is big does not mean they are going to be a bruiser. Foligno on the other hand has impressed me not so much with his offense (which has been fine), but the constant effort I see from him on a nightly basis to play physical.

EXACTLY what those who've seen his NHL games but no AHL games have seen as well. Can't thank you, Inkman and other Amerks fans for lending their invaluable insight into how our development players are looking at the AHL level.

GO SABRES!!!