Let's talk about Derek Roy

darksabre

It's no secret that I want him off the team at all costs. I despise Derek Roy, and I don't believe that it is unreasonable to take a loss on return for him.

Unfortunately I don't believe Darcy sees the same. Scuttlebutt is that he has been trying to trade him but no one will bite.

So, what do we think Derek Roy's value is? What are his positives and negatives? And what is the minimum return you'd take for him?

Let's be honest, the guy isn't a terrible hockey player, he's just lazy as hell sometimes and its frustrating. I think his value would actually be quite high right now even though many of us aren't happy with him.

Who knows, maybe a change of scenery would do good for him, maybe another team can get him enrolled in AA and then the skys the limit!

A decent productive center at a deadline where its thin, should bring back a late 1st possibly even more.

Yeah, he actually isn't terrible, I guess, and I would be excited for what we get back. I haven't forgotten that he was the only player I was happy with the first 35 games last year. He just has a hate-able attitude, and face. Good riddance, hopefully.

He's listed as a No.1 Center in TSN's trade deadline primer -- the only No.1 center they list as available.

http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/feature/?id=56793

Even with the down year (which can be attributed at least partially to his coming back from a serious injury), we should be asking a lot for him. There aren't a lot of guys who put up points like he does (historically). That said, it's probably way past time that he and the Sabres parted ways. Both he and the team would probably benefit from a change. I wouldn't trade him just to trade him but I'd be working hard to find a good deal for him.

It's no secret that I want him off the team at all costs. I despise Derek Roy, and I don't believe that it is unreasonable to take a loss on return for him.

Unfortunately I don't believe Darcy sees the same. Scuttlebutt is that he has been trying to trade him but no one will bite.

So, what do we think Derek Roy's value is? What are his positives and negatives? And what is the minimum return you'd take for him?

He has good production at a great price. Maybe teams are wondering why the Sabres are willing to give that up. It makes one wonder if there is fear of a serious issue with his shoulder or if he is assumed to be a cancer around the league. There are enough former teammates out there that can spread that word very easily.

60-70 points for $4 mil a year should go quickly if available. If there is a feeling around the league that keeps Roy a Sabre. I would love to know what it was exactly.

He has good production at a great price. Maybe teams are wondering why the Sabres are willing to give that up. It makes one wonder if there is fear of a serious issue with his shoulder or if he is assumed to be a cancer around the league. There are enough former teammates out there that can spread that word very easily.

60-70 points for $4 mil a year should go quickly if available. If there is a feeling around the league that keeps Roy a Sabre. I would love to know what it was exactly.

I agree. Why do y'all hate him? It is not his fault he is a second line center being asked to play the role of a first line center.

You have to think that LA was wondering why two teams were willing to give up on Carter in less than a year, but they still paid heavily for him.

I agree. Why do y'all hate him? It is not his fault he is a second line center being asked to play the role of a first line center.

Those of us who hate him do because he is an underachieving player on a team that has massively failed their expectations, and he is everything that we have too much of already: small, soft core player that shrinks in the spotlight.

He's listed as a No.1 Center in TSN's trade deadline primer -- the only No.1 center they list as available.

http://www.tsn.ca/tr...ature/?id=56793

Even with the down year (which can be attributed at least partially to his coming back from a serious injury), we should be asking a lot for him. There aren't a lot of guys who put up points like he does (historically). That said, it's probably way past time that he and the Sabres parted ways. Both he and the team would probably benefit from a change. I wouldn't trade him just to trade him but I'd be working hard to find a good deal for him.

Agree. Even if it means waiting until the summer. Roy should bring back a proven NHL player, not a draft pick.

Scuttlebutt is that he has been trying to trade him but no one will bite.

Hamilton has spouted this repeatedly on WGR, and I don't buy it for a second. Not only would there be a line of buyers, but the return will be very good. The only reason a trade would take so long to complete, is if Regier refuses to pull the trigger in fear that he may not get the better end of the deal.

Hamilton has spouted this repeatedly on WGR, and I don't buy it for a second. Not only would there be a line of buyers, but the return will be very good. The only reason a trade would take so long to complete, is if Regier refuses to pull the trigger in fear that he may not get the better end of the deal.

When was Hamilton saying this (was it recently, or months ago)? There's not a hockey reporter whom I trust more.

I don't hate Roy, and I really haven't even had a problem with him until this season. Yes he can be lazy, yes he can take dumb penalties, yes he has negative chemistry with Vanek....but show me a $4 million player who is perfect. Please, I beg anyone. At that price you either get a guy who does all the little things right but is devoid of top end talent, or you get a very talented player with some shortcomings. If Roy is getting 65-70 points, I overlook a lot of his shortcomings. The problem this year, of course, is that he's not producing so all of his shortcomings are magnified 10x.

I have no idea if he's actually a locker room cancer. I personally don't buy the fact that the Sabres went on their run last year without him because he wasn't there. In my opinion you give that team a healthy Roy and we beat Philly. It would take a lot to convince me that Roy getting hurt somehow made Myers play the way he is capable of playing, made Enroth play absolutely lights out down the stretch while Miller was injured, etc.

My asking price for Roy, as I've stated a lot, is a team's top NHL-ready center prospect and a 2nd round pick (unless that prospect is borderline elite, in which case I wouldn't expect that kind of guy in return for Roy). Seeing as Carter got Jack Johnson and a 1st, I think it's possible the right team would give up a top prospect and a 1st for Roy, but I wouldn't bank on it nor require it to move him. Although if the prospect I got in return was of lesser quality than desired, then I would insist on a 1st as well. Some names from contenders/playoff teams I think could use Roy: Pirri, Kruger, McNeill (Chicago); Jarnkrok, Sheahan (Detroit); Latta (Nashville); Josefson (New Jersey); Wingels (San Jose); Bjugstad (Florida).

Agree. Even if it means waiting until the summer. Roy should bring back a proven NHL player, not a draft pick.

I don't think we'd get fair value for Roy with draft picks. But I'd be open to getting a high-end prospect for him. Florida's farm system is stacked and any one of Bjugstad, Howden, or Huberdeau would get it done for me. (I'd push for Drew Shore as well as we could use another center prospect and they have plenty.) I'd also love to land Mikael Granlund from the Wild, a future star center from Finland who could play with our future sniper from Finland (Armia). If I'm trading Roy, I think looking for top prospects is my preference.

I'm not sure how tied other teams are to their prospects but we could land someone who could help us next season if we go that route. It's clearly a seller's market and we should be taking advantage of that.

I don't think we'd get fair value for Roy with draft picks. But I'd be open to getting a high-end prospect for him. Florida's farm system is stacked and any one of Bjugstad, Howden, or Huberdeau would get it done for me. (I'd push for Drew Shore as well as we could use another center prospect and they have plenty.) I'd also love to land Mikael Granlund from the Wild, a future star center from Finland who could play with our future sniper from Finland (Armia). If I'm trading Roy, I think looking for top prospects is my preference.

I'm not sure how tied other teams are to their prospects but we could land someone who could help us next season if we go that route. It's clearly a seller's market and we should be taking advantage of that.

Put those two together with Leino and we'd have the 'Finnish Line.'

I'm here all week folks.

Try the veal.

GO SABRES!!!

if journeyman Dominic Moore is worth a 2nd... Derek Roy a 65pt a year forward with a year left (not a rental) is worth a 1st... hes imho better than carter an carter keeps getting 1st rounders.

I could see getting a 1st for Roy, but the bolded part is nonsense.

You have to think that LA was wondering why two teams were willing to give up on Carter in less than a year, but they still paid heavily for him.

Good call. Someone will be willing to take Roy.

But the bidding frenzy is now, not over the summer. He will fetch a lesser return over the summer.

I agree with this, although I don't think DR is hung up on getting the better end as much as he is hung up on getting what he receives to be enough value to justify trading him.

When was Hamilton saying this (was it recently, or months ago)? There's not a hockey reporter whom I trust more.

Local or national? If local, I don't disagree, but not if national.

Archived