Let's talk about Derek Roy

darksabre

Well said. This is just a nonsensical fantasy.

If Roy is traded, do you think he will yield as much as Carter did in return?

I like Dubinsky too, but the Rangers wouldn't take Roy or Stafford or any other mediocre/overpaid/underachieving Sabre for him. They aren't looking to trade him in the first place.

tsn merely mentioned him and I comented on it, nothing more.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388957

As for Roy or Stafford if Wojtek Wolski can be traded than either of them can. Of course DR wouldn't trade 1 of his magnificent 7 so never mind.

What team out there has a surplus of number one centers?

I think Vancouver is pretty darn top heavy.

In fact, Kessler is hot and cold there. Malhotra is not having his best year so maybe they look at Gaustad and Roy for him. They could use defense as well......Mayson Raymond is a Darcy looking type of player.....could you pull off a Roy/Gaustad/Leopold for Kessler/Raymond? That would still leave the Canucks $2 mil under the cap.

In fact, Kessler is hot and cold there. Malhotra is not having his best year so maybe they look at Gaustad and Roy for him. They could use defense as well......Mayson Raymond is a Darcy looking type of player.....could you pull off a Roy/Gaustad/Leopold for Kessler/Raymond? That would still leave the Canucks $2 mil under the cap.

This is the most sensible thing I've heard yet.

However, I think Vancouver sees itself as a Stanley Cup contender and I doubt they'd be making trades that might break up the team in its current iteration.

In the offseason that deal makes more sense though.

This is the most sensible thing I've heard yet.

However, I think Vancouver sees itself as a Stanley Cup contender and I doubt they'd be making trades that might break up the team in its current iteration.

In the offseason that deal makes more sense though.

Yeah....they are sort of love/hate with Kessler. He is like a hybrid of Roy and Callahan. I could see them moving Raymond now, but he would be more of the same for the Sabres. He's a RFA.

Vancouver is really good cap wise. Most of their guys are signed for another few years. Salo is an UFA so Leopold or Sekera could be attractive with Ballard out. Maybe just a Gaustad/Leopold for Raymond/pick would happen, but that doesn't get me excited. They are an interesting potential partner though.

Weighing the good against the bad, I'd let him go for a good ready-for-the-NHL center prospect or two.

maybe consider a monster deal with nashville, have a word with suter if he is interested in playing for buffalo.

roy for smith + 2nd round pick

stafford + leopold for suter (if he shows interested in signing long term in buffalo)

:worthy:

Vanek was raving about playing with Adam on his blog at the start of the season. We have nothing to lose by seeing if we can get that chemistry going again.

Ennis certainly looks like he has the potential to be the best center on this team, and that's even if we keep Roy.

The genius they call "Lindy Ruff" apparently begs to differ.

That said, I doubt Adam ha #1 center potential, but playing with Vanek and Pominville he doesn't need to, he just needs to use his size and create space for the two, and make sure they get the puck.

Pretty much the opposite of what Roy brings to the table.

And so the angry Sabres mob now turns their vitriol on Roy. A proven point getter, two way player and center... Yes I see the logic. A team in desperate need of a center should trade the only real center on the team. One thing this board is very good at is character assassination. Read this thread end to end and you will see what I mean. There is a bucket load of unsubstantiated BS in here about his character built 100% in your imaginations and not documented anywhere.

I get it. Fans need to hate on someone every year. This year it seems it is Roy's turn.

If Roy gets traded and doesn't net a center in return, then this team has accomplished nothing.

IMO Roy should be kept. He is a value player at the price.

Probably have to keep him until the offseason. I can't see a contender giving up the due return for him while trying to make a run. If your team is going well, why add a player who is slumping this season. Giving up a reasonably equal player probably ruins some of the chemistry in the room (for those who believe it is important).

In the offseason there will be plenty of teams looking to rebuild or retool. Trading Roy then might get a decent player off a team that is now not willing to deal them. Plus by then maybe it won't be a Regier decision.

Roy is usually a reliable scorer, works well for a shorter guy and doesn't seem to be a cancer in any way. However he can be streaky and is having an awful season. There are a number of teams who could use him imho (Florida, LA, San Jose to name a few). I'd take either a late 1st rounder or a 2nd and 3rd round pick. If we can package him with one of our less valuable prospects it would be worth looking for a center prospect. Imho.

EDIT: I'd add that if we can rope in a true no.1 center this offseason I'd keep him around as 2nd line center (as long as Stafford is gone!). Additionally I think we really need a top 6 player with a 'never quit' attitude. After 'the boston game' it was clear we really lack that (hindsight).

Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times suggests that the Blackhawks should inquire about either Roy or Gaustad as they are thin at center.

http://www.suntimes....e-deadline.html

As the Hawks are also in need of defensive help I thought the below wishful thinking (10 Deadline Deals we'd like to see) by ESPN's Craig Custance was interesting even though it sounds like the type of completely implausible scenario found on message boards:

1 Ryan Getzlaf for Matt Frattin, Luke Schenn and a 1st round pick.

2 Roberto Luongo for Jacob Markstrom and a 1st round pick

3 James van Riemsdyk for Steve Ott and a 1st round pick.

4 Patrick Kane for Derek Roy and Andrej Sekera

5 Ryan Malone for Paul Martin

6 Rick Nash for Tyler Seguin and a 1st round pick

7 Alexander Semin for Ryan Ellis

8 Jonathan Bernier for Clark MacArthur and Joe Colborne

9 Lubomir Visnovsky for Andrew MacDonald and a 2nd round pick

10 Dustin Byfuglien for Erik Gudbranson and 1st round pick

Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times suggests that the Blackhawks should inquire about either Roy or Gaustad as they are thin at center.

http://www.suntimes....e-deadline.html

As the Hawks are also in need of defensive help I thought the below wishful thinking (10 Deadline Deals we'd like to see) by ESPN's Craig Custance was interesting even though it sounds like the type of completely implausible scenario found on message boards:

1 Ryan Getzlaf for Matt Frattin, Luke Schenn and a 1st round pick.

2 Roberto Luongo for Jacob Markstrom and a 1st round pick

3 James van Riemsdyk for Steve Ott and a 1st round pick.

4 Patrick Kane for Derek Roy and Andrej Sekera

5 Ryan Malone for Paul Martin

6 Rick Nash for Tyler Seguin and a 1st round pick

7 Alexander Semin for Ryan Ellis

8 Jonathan Bernier for Clark MacArthur and Joe Colborne

9 Lubomir Visnovsky for Andrew MacDonald and a 2nd round pick

10 Dustin Byfuglien for Erik Gudbranson and 1st round pick

A couple of those don't seem unlikely. Though the Buffalo one will never happen.

Damn this is a quite deadline.

There is NFW Vancouver will trade Kesler.

There is NFW Vancouver will trade Kesler.

Thanks for the input. I believe the question was "who DOES have 2 #1 centers?"

In pointing out that we have no shot at acquiring a #1 center, I will go back to the reality that the Sabres braintrust will probably head into next season with Roy-Ennis as their 1-2 next year. Enjoy as always.

Thanks for the input. I believe the question was "who DOES have 2 #1 centers?"

In pointing out that we have no shot at acquiring a #1 center, I will go back to the reality that the Sabres braintrust will probably head into next season with Roy-Ennis as their 1-2 next year. Enjoy as always.

I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that all we are going to hear from the Sabres up until the start of next season is "being healthy" and "bounce back years."

I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that all we are going to hear from the Sabres up until the start of next season is "being healthy" and "bounce back years."

I don't think so. While I'm not expecting much today, I do think that changes are coming over the summer. There is a core of players to build around here that includes:

Miller,

Vanek,

Regehr,

Myers,

Erhoff,

Leino,

and I'll throw in Roy and Pominville..

A couple of adds in the off season could change the character of this team,

I don't think so. While I'm not expecting much today, I do think that changes are coming over the summer. There is a core of players to build around here that includes:

Miller,

Vanek,

Regehr,

Myers,

Erhoff,

Leino,

and I'll throw in Roy and Pominville..

A couple of adds in the off season could change the character of this team,

what's with all the commas?

"Commas," where talking "Commas."

Seriously, a core that includes Leino and you focus on the "Commas?"

Leino ain't going nowhere and I suspect will be better. Yeah, I include him in the core. :P Have you forgotten that big goal he got in the opener?

Everyone I didn't mention is trade block, cut, reassign material.

And the commas were appropriate as I prefaced the list with a ":"

Archived