Let's talk about Derek Roy

darksabre

I have never understood all the Roy hate. How many guys making his salary lead their team in scoring almost every year? And what about his game suggests that he's "lazy"? Reckless with the puck - sure, sometimes he is. But he's one of the few Sabres who tries to make a goal happen on every single shift.

Personally, I have loved watching Roy play over the years and I will give him a pass for this season. It's the first bad one he's ever had, and it takes two hands to count the Sabres who are having their worst year ever this season.

As far as the "locker room cancer" stuff, I don't know where people get it from. He's no Jarome Iginla, but riddle me this: How many times has Derek Roy been benched in his career? Now, how many times has Thomas Vanek been benched in the same time period?

I think acquiring Hodgson makes a Roy trade in the offseason much easier. Without Hodgson, and with trading Gaustad, we pretty much HAD to get a center of some kind in return for Roy. Most teams with an interest in Roy probably weren't in position to send us a top-6 center in return. Now, however, we can simply send him off for a good player at any position, it doesn't have to be center. So from the Sabres perspective, the number of realistic trade partners has probably increased because the return we seek doesn't need to be so particular.

I have never understood all the Roy hate. How many guys making his salary lead their team in scoring almost every year? And what about his game suggests that he's "lazy"? Reckless with the puck - sure, sometimes he is. But he's one of the few Sabres who tries to make a goal happen on every single shift.

Personally, I have loved watching Roy play over the years and I will give him a pass for this season. It's the first bad one he's ever had, and it takes two hands to count the Sabres who are having their worst year ever this season.

As far as the "locker room cancer" stuff, I don't know where people get it from. He's no Jarome Iginla, but riddle me this: How many times has Derek Roy been benched in his career? Now, how many times has Thomas Vanek been benched in the same time period?

Several good points, and all of them are in line with my opinion that Roy doesn't get shipped out for anything less than a proven player. He used to dive a lot, but he does almost always battle for a puck. He makes great plays, too. He's a solid, solid #2 center. If this team had a #1 center, there wouldn't be the pressure from the fans.

Peters on GR today debunked the "locker room cancer" stuff, as far as I'm concerned. I don't like the fact that he's always partying, but half of the posters who bitch about that want Kane here, FFS.

His backchecking leaves a lot to be desired, noticibly in several crucial situations. Oftentimes when an opposing player has found himself wide open in the slot and he finds himself with a point blank shot on goal where he can basically pick his spot it is Roy's man.

Several good points, and all of them are in line with my opinion that Roy doesn't get shipped out for anything less than a proven player. He used to dive a lot, but he does almost always battle for a puck. He makes great plays, too. He's a solid, solid #2 center. If this team had a #1 center, there wouldn't be the pressure from the fans.

Peters on GR today debunked the "locker room cancer" stuff, as far as I'm concerned. I don't like the fact that he's always partying, but half of the posters who bitch about that want Kane here, FFS.

Not me. I used to drive a cab. :ph34r:

His backchecking leaves a lot to be desired, noticibly in several crucial situations. Oftentimes when an opposing player has found himself wide open in the slot and he finds himself with a point blank shot on goal where he can basically pick his spot it is Roy's man.

I would cite this as one of my biggest complaints about Derek Roy. His noticable lack of effort in our own end frequently draws my ire.

I really believe, that Derek Roy can be that 80+ points guy again. Next year is his contract year so I think that will help a little too. I mean he had a bad season so far but look at his total NHL Career Numbers. Those are still impressive.

I doubt he was a "locker room cancer" in that the other guys didn't like him. He's probably popular in the room. I just hate that he doesn't seem to take his job super seriously, and how does that rub off on other players? I think some players spend every day thinking about winning the Stanley Cup and other players are pretty content living the life of a rich/young/famous NHL player. Based on everything I've heard, Roy is the latter. He's been a part of the team's leadership for 5 years now and we've been horribly inconsistent that entire team (aside from one great year where Tyler Myers showed up and completely upended the franchise).

Plus, the way this team took off last season when he was subtracted is still pretty amazing to me. The team sucked when Roy was putting up his best numbers ever and took the league by storm when he went away.

I'm ready to see what the Sabres are like without Derek Roy.

I don't know in his worst year he is still on track for over 45 points. I know this is not good enough, but if Roy is gone people here will just end uo hating on someone else. There will always be a player here people hate, why not have it be a guy that produces. It will be his contract year too.

I don't know in his worst year he is still on track for over 45 points. I know this is not good enough, but if Roy is gone people here will just end uo hating on someone else. There will always be a player here people hate, why not have it be a guy that produces. It will be his contract year too.

So because people always need a whipping boy, we should keep Derek Roy? That's rather abstract.

So because people always need a whipping boy, we should keep Derek Roy? That's rather abstract.

That's not why. I think eveyone here knows his strengths by now. I'm just pre-defending myself for saying I wouldn't mind keeping him on this team. And by no means am I saying there should be no other moves.

Archived