Feel free to bash me...I want the Sabres to miss the playoffs!

LabattBlue

Win or lose?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sabres win the rest or lose the rest?

• WIN
    • Lose

Blue--I hope you don't take a lot of ###### for this. I know the thread was meant with good intentions.

Blue, for what it's worth, I agreed with you until the game the night before you posted this poll. I figured the Sabres screwed their chances of getting a top pick when they beat the Bruins in 'extra time.'

At least it looks like they'll get to draft 13th overall, and it's been such a special pick for them, Stafford, Zagrapan; who could ask for more? :doh:

(I do actually believe they will make some moves with their 1st 4 picks and would be surprised if we get another #13 overall this year. But where's the fun in that.)

Yeah, but...whatever. This last month or so sure was a lot of fun.

Oh I totally agree, I had a blast. Wasn't trying to poo-poo the last month.

Is there any reason to believe that even if they were dead last there would be any changes?

No, which is why I don't plan on discussing whether or not Ruff/Regier should be fired this offseason (note: it's a valid opinion, I just have no interest in discussing what I consider to be an impossibility).

I think the general consensus is 9th place was the worst case scenario. Buffalo sports. Have to laugh, right?

It would have been more fun if they had made it. IMO, it's been "bonus hockey" since the loss to the Jests, and I had been enjoying every minute of it. But here's the thing: Free agents are more likely to come to a team that was on the rise, instead of a team that folded. Players acquired via trade (even recent additions like Hodgson)? They'll be more enthused. Even draftees and prospects will be happier to be with a team that fought, rather than folded. So there is some upside, even if the top 5 picks aren't an option.

As for those top 5 picks, well, 1) this isn't a draft year with a star top 5, and 2) even if it were, the Sabs have two picks in each of the first two rounds, and are incredibly mobile.

But I really, really enjoyed the last four weeks. They were great, the games were meaningful and fun, and I wouldn't trade them for a, let's say, sixth-overall pick.

It would have been more fun if they had made it. IMO, it's been "bonus hockey" since the loss to the Jests, and I had been enjoying every minute of it. But here's the thing: Free agents are more likely to come to a team that was on the rise, instead of a team that folded. Players acquired via trade (even recent additions like Hodgson)? They'll be more enthused. Even draftees and prospects will be happier to be with a team that fought, rather than folded. So there is some upside, even if the top 5 picks aren't an option.

When a team gets this close after a nearly insurmountable run and is as visibly shaken following the elimination as so many of the young guys were in the postgame lockerroom, one can only hope they bond over it and come back next year hungrier and with an edge. I was not quite that confident in the forward group coming out of last season, and I'm much more energized by the "new core" group heading into next year--- so long as the right fat is trimmed and smart additions are made. The 2006-07 Sabres were a hard edged, determined group--- if the 2005-06 offseason wasn't so thoroughly butchered that President's Trophy team likely would've had another Playoff round in them. Here's hoping to the right decisions this summer.

When a team gets this close after a nearly insurmountable run and is as visibly shaken following the elimination as so many of the young guys were in the postgame lockerroom, one can only hope they bond over it and come back next year hungrier and with an edge. I was not quite that confident in the forward group coming out of last season, and I'm much more energized by the "new core" group heading into next year--- so long as the right fat is trimmed and smart additions are made. The 2006-07 Sabres were a hard edged, determined group--- if the 2005-06 offseason wasn't so thoroughly butchered that President's Trophy team likely would've had another Playoff round in them. Here's hoping to the right decisions this summer.

Amen.

I think the younger core is where it's at. Guys like Ennis, Hodgson, Foligno....not only do they want to be great, they believe they can be. I can't say for sure they'll turn into top-6 players on a Cup contender, or they'll all reach/exceed potential...but I do know it all starts with that belief and desire, because without that, you get Dustin Penner. I believe those 3 in particular will bust their humps this offseason to get better and will be key contributors next season.

I hope we ruin their playoff chances like they did our season for awhile. Yea, I went there....I get this way when I'm sad and bitter :cry:

Sure would be nice to see somebody from BFLO go take out one of their key players for the entire postseason.

I think the younger core is where it's at. Guys like Ennis, Hodgson, Foligno....not only do they want to be great, they believe they can be. I can't say for sure they'll turn into top-6 players on a Cup contender, or they'll all reach/exceed potential...but I do know it all starts with that belief and desire, because without that, you get Dustin Penner. I believe those 3 in particular will bust their humps this offseason to get better and will be key contributors next season.

Heres to a good summer for Cody with Gary Roberts!

Agreed. And if the Sabres are intent on keeping Drew Stafford around, it's absolutely imperative that Cody Hodgson drag him away from Rock Band to Gary Roberts' house this summer.

Sure would be nice to see somebody from BFLO go take out one of their key players for the entire postseason.

It's bad karma.

But I wouldn't lose a lick of sleep if Chara or Lucic *accidentally* took a stick to the chops in the middle of a scrum.

Archived