Feel free to bash me...I want the Sabres to miss the playoffs!

LabattBlue

Win or lose?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sabres win the rest or lose the rest?

• WIN
    • Lose

This comment right here was my biggest beef with the team up until the trade deadline.

I don't disagree with the idea that injuries to our D was a significant part of the teams' record earlier this year, but I cannot forget all of the GDT's with poster after poster spouting incredulity at the lack of effort that guys like Roy and Stafford were displaying during that period. You cannot deny all of the short arms when passes were just off mark, the lack of hustle to free pucks, and the unwillingness to make physical contact that was on display during the middle half of the season. I am glad that those things have changed currently. But I don't believe that health of our top 6 D-men had anything to do with it.

This is something else you could get out of my analysis. The NHL guys were only 10 goals behind freaking AHL starters.

This comment right here was my biggest beef with the team up until the trade deadline.

I don't disagree with the idea that injuries to our D was a significant part of the teams' record earlier this year, but I cannot forget all of the GDT's with poster after poster spouting incredulity at the lack of effort that guys like Roy and Stafford were displaying during that period. You cannot deny all of the short arms when passes were just off mark, the lack of hustle to free pucks, and the unwillingness to make physical contact that was on display during the middle half of the season. I am glad that those things have changed currently. But I don't believe that health of our top 6 D-men had anything to do with it.

This is something else you could get out of my analysis. The NHL guys were only 10 goals behind freaking AHL starters.

Indeed. How many dreary 3-1 losses did we sit through? How many games in which the offense had zero forecheck and forced the other team to commit zero penalties? There's a reason this team was bottom-5 in scoring and PPG for the bulk of the season. And I fully recognize that a hockey team is a fully integrated machine, so it's somewhat artificial and inaccurate to assign accountability for the offense to the forwards, but still. The forward "core" group, other than Pommer, was simply terrible until about a month ago.

Now, it's not impossible that the reshuffling that occurred by introducing Hodger and Ennis as the new centers, plus the kick in the pants delivered by finally trading a member of the "core" in Gaustad, plus the shot of confidence delivered by Miller's resurgence, has led to the forwards finally turning the corner. But I have a long way to go before I believe it's really happened. I need to see that "core" do it when it really matters. This is their FIFTH year to show that they can get it done in the playoffs. If they don't win a round with Roy, Stafford, Pommer and Vanek scoring at key times (not just in the first period on the PP), I want at least 2 of them gone this summer.

I agree that defensemen are critical in the Sabres' system, but the bolded part is incorrect. MAG was in the top 6 -- he was ahead of Weber on the depth chart. So MAG and McNabb being in those games means only that one top-6 defenseman was out. Obviously, Finley and/or Brennen's presence means that more than 1 top-6 guy was out.

Ok, then scratch Grags and insert Weber. they both were in.

The turn around coincides exactly with Grags being put in as the 7th defensemen. You could look at it this way, if Grags and Weber are in the same game, that counts as 1 NHLer and one AHLer.

The turn around coincides exactly with Grags being put in as the 7th defensemen. You could look at it this way, if Grags and Weber are in the same game, that counts as 1 NHLer and one AHLer.

The turn around happened when there was zero pressure on the team to perform because there were zero expectations. Roy and Miller are both on record as saying so. Once the trade deadline went by, nobody had to worry about their job and their BFF's anymore, so they play loose and Miller plays like a top 5 goalie for a stretch of 20 games. All in all, it is almost a repeat of last year, as is the excitement leading into the last few weeks before the playoffs. Everyone starts to project the future off of a string of 20 or so games instead of an entire body of work, no major changes are made, and the same script and cycle repeats itself. Last year at this time, Ennis and Gerbe were on fire and Weber looked like a future Regehr. Now Gerbe is being talked about as an AHL'r, and Ennis has performed for a few weeks after pretty much being worthless the first half of the year. Adam started the year with the same point total as Foligno has now and was proclaimed as a near untouchable. Now he is a role player in Rochester.

Like I said last year, if the team makes it in and can win in the playoffs, maybe the future is a little brighter. It's still 98% the same people, ideas, and results we have seen the past 5 years.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying current results and reacting to games in real time. It's only when projections are made on a small sample of work that drive me batty because the philosophy is still the same and all pressure for long term results shown to us is lifted in hopes that an unrealistic pace can be maintained in the future. I myself said this team wasn't as bad as they were playing earlier in the year and actually was defending Miller, Roy and Stafford. They aren't a good team however. There are pieces that could be part of a good team in the future, but when you keep plugging in the same formula....expect the same results for the most part. Gragnani was maybe one of 3 players who actually stretched last year to 7 games against Philly, so I do not buy into him having anything to do with the putrid effort and results we saw for 70% of the season.

I can't stand coming on here every day and reading the title of this thread.

Also, some of you will hate me for it, but IMO the team's turnaround has a lot more to do with having three REAL point producing centers and being able to run three scoring lines than it does with players feeling "loose" and all that "no pressure" BS. Those are just clichés that players give when you're having a bad year.

Also, some of you will hate me for it, but IMO the team's turnaround has a lot more to do with having three REAL point producing centers and being able to run three scoring lines than it does with players feeling "loose" and all that "no pressure" BS. Those are just clichés that players give when you're having a bad year.

In the playoffs, those 3 centers will be like naval cruisers lined up in Pearl Harbor.

Miller deserves 80% of the credit for this run. That west coast swing he singlehandedly stole is the reason they are even alive right now.

Huh?

I'm not trying to be argumentative -- but I think my original point still stands. If MAG and Weber, and no other lower-ranked defensemen, are in the game, that only means that one of the top 6 defensemen was out. That doesn't support the theory that poor play was due to a rash of injuries.

The turn around happened when there was zero pressure on the team to perform because there were zero expectations. Roy and Miller are both on record as saying so. Once the trade deadline went by, nobody had to worry about their job and their BFF's anymore, so they play loose and Miller plays like a top 5 goalie for a stretch of 20 games. All in all, it is almost a repeat of last year, as is the excitement leading into the last few weeks before the playoffs. Everyone starts to project the future off of a string of 20 or so games instead of an entire body of work, no major changes are made, and the same script and cycle repeats itself. Last year at this time, Ennis and Gerbe were on fire and Weber looked like a future Regehr. Now Gerbe is being talked about as an AHL'r, and Ennis has performed for a few weeks after pretty much being worthless the first half of the year. Adam started the year with the same point total as Foligno has now and was proclaimed as a near untouchable. Now he is a role player in Rochester.

Like I said last year, if the team makes it in and can win in the playoffs, maybe the future is a little brighter. It's still 98% the same people, ideas, and results we have seen the past 5 years.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying current results and reacting to games in real time. It's only when projections are made on a small sample of work that drive me batty because the philosophy is still the same and all pressure for long term results shown to us is lifted in hopes that an unrealistic pace can be maintained in the future. I myself said this team wasn't as bad as they were playing earlier in the year and actually was defending Miller, Roy and Stafford. They aren't a good team however. There are pieces that could be part of a good team in the future, but when you keep plugging in the same formula....expect the same results for the most part. Gragnani was maybe one of 3 players who actually stretched last year to 7 games against Philly, so I do not buy into him having anything to do with the putrid effort and results we saw for 70% of the season.

I don't agree with all of this, but the bolded parts are right on. There is way too much irrational exuberance going on here right now. This team hasn't won a GD thing. They've put together a nice run over the last 6-8 weeks, but against opponents inclined to take their feet off the gas because the Sabres weren't perceived as a good team worthy of a 100% effort. How many backup goalies have the Sabres faced this year?

I'll say it again: the Sabres are 50/50 to miss the playoffs, and 70% likely to get bounced in the first round if they do make it. That is an unacceptable outcome for the team with the highest payroll in the NHL.

If they win a round in the playoffs, which I sincerely hope they do, I'll gladly admit LPF was right all along. It could happen. But it hasn't happened yet, and this team certainly hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.

There is some truth to this, but the 3 scoring lines really didn't emerge until the last couple of weeks. Before then, it was mostly Miller's return to form IMHO.

Huh?

I'm not trying to be argumentative -- but I think my original point still stands. If MAG and Weber, and no other lower-ranked defensemen, are in the game, that only means that one of the top 6 defensemen was out. That doesn't support the theory that poor play was due to a rash of injuries.

Weber, Grags, and McNabb were all in. So they were down at least two, and whenever Brennan or Finley were in, there were 3 down.

I know they haven't won a GD thing. I'm not praising them for anything they accomplished. I'm projecting that I like their chances.

Gotta call BS on this one, big time.

it's not 70% of the season that was putrid, it's not a small sample size of 20 games that they've been good, it's 33 games of bad during the injuries versus 44 games of good.

It's not 98% the same people. There was 25% roster turnover to start the season, and now Goose is gone and Hodgson and Foligno are in, so it's more like 35% Roster turnover.

I will grant two of your contentions as correct:

Ennis was a non-factor for half the season... he was injured for 34 games, of course he was a non-factor!

I will agree that when the pressure was off they started to get better, but they've been great the last 2 week, when the pressure was on.

In the playoffs, those 3 centers will be like naval cruisers lined up in Pearl Harbor.

Miller deserves 80% of the credit for this run. That west coast swing he singlehandedly stole is the reason they are even alive right now.

There is some truth to this, but the 3 scoring lines really didn't emerge until the last couple of weeks. Before then, it was mostly Miller's return to form IMHO.

Oh, it's undeniable that Miller's resurgence has been really the key factor in this hot streak. But it all ties together. Better offense and more time in the attacking zone leads to a harder night for opposing team's forwards and an easier night for Miller. Now, granted, some of Miller's wins have literally been "steal the show" performances, but you know, the NHL season has a funny way of balancing out.

Weber, Grags, and McNabb were all in. So they were down at least two, and whenever Brennan or Finley were in, there were 3 down.

I know they haven't won a GD thing. I'm not praising them for anything they accomplished. I'm projecting that I like their chances.

Gotta call BS on this one, big time.

it's not 70% of the season that was putrid, it's not a small sample size of 20 games that they've been good, it's 33 games of bad during the injuries versus 44 games of good.

It's not 98% the same people. There was 25% roster turnover to start the season, and now Goose is gone and Hodgson and Foligno are in, so it's more like 35% Roster turnover.

I will grant two of your contentions as correct:

Ennis was a non-factor for half the season... he was injured for 34 games, of course he was a non-factor!

I will agree that when the pressure was off they started to get better, but they've been great the last 2 week, when the pressure was on.

How soon people forget the times Myers is a healthy scratch and Ennis was on the verge of it until he was injured.

It's the same machine. It's the same philosophy. It's almost an exact same outcome as last season.

Hodgson must have been visited by Benny Hinn for a healing session, because I don't quite understand how you rebound from "fatigue" by playing more and more. The guy doesn't hit the scoresheet for 10 games then lights it up for a week and we have Denis Savard all of a sudden.

Ennis was worthless. He came back and started dipsy-doodling...and looked like a midget version of Afinigenov. That line has been great the past 2 weeks because there is finally someone on this team over 200lbs who has some modicum of talent up front.

Pittsburgh had just as many injuries as the Sabres at the same point of the season with a smaller payroll. People were pointing to them as they lingered in the standings. The difference is, they come back and are aiming for 1st in the league, the Sabres come back and are life and death to maybe sneak into 8th.

This is the problem and why you will see Team Stormcloud back strong next year. A pocket of games goes great and everyone starts projecting that performance going forward. "We will beat the Rangers" "We have 3 awsome centers now" "Foligno is better than dad".......and the entire year of watching the team going down the crapper without 1 single move being made, gets forgiven....and we start from scratch again next year with the exact same machine in place.

I have no problem giving credit for a good run......but the ADHD of the fanbase is amazing. I have said it before....but will say it again, Beaten Spouse Syndrome.

Go ahead and call BS if you want. But just like Schopp wanting people to call in and appologise for "doubting the Sabres".......you people are all hopped up on getting rid of an ice cream headache. There will never be long term progress as long as there is the same machine running the show and no pressure for real results. The reason this thread was started was because of the fear of just what fans like you are doing right now.....and Terry Pegula being Fan #1. I've been quiet, but attitudes like that are just like waving a big ying-yang in my face. Then everyone can label a fan that doesn't believe as a killjoy or negative.

It was 80 and sunny in March last week.

Tonight there will be 2 inches of snow.

Eventually, the tradition of mother nature wins out.

How soon people forget the times Myers is a healthy scratch and Ennis was on the verge of it until he was injured.

It's the same machine. It's the same philosophy. It's almost an exact same outcome as last season.

Hodgson must have been visited by Benny Hinn for a healing session, because I don't quite understand how you rebound from "fatigue" by playing more and more. The guy doesn't hit the scoresheet for 10 games then lights it up for a week and we have Denis Savard all of a sudden.

Ennis was worthless. He came back and started dipsy-doodling...and looked like a midget version of Afinigenov. That line has been great the past 2 weeks because there is finally someone on this team over 200lbs who has some modicum of talent up front.

Pittsburgh had just as many injuries as the Sabres at the same point of the season with a smaller payroll. People were pointing to them as they lingered in the standings. The difference is, they come back and are aiming for 1st in the league, the Sabres come back and are life and death to maybe sneak into 8th.

This is the problem and why you will see Team Stormcloud back strong next year. A pocket of games goes great and everyone starts projecting that performance going forward. "We will beat the Rangers" "We have 3 awsome centers now" "Foligno is better than dad".......and the entire year of watching the team going down the crapper without 1 single move being made, gets forgiven....and we start from scratch again next year with the exact same machine in place.

I have no problem giving credit for a good run......but the ADHD of the fanbase is amazing. I have said it before....but will say it again, Beaten Spouse Syndrome.

Go ahead and call BS if you want. But just like Schopp wanting people to call in and appologise for "doubting the Sabres".......you people are all hopped up on getting rid of an ice cream headache. There will never be long term progress as long as there is the same machine running the show and no pressure for real results. The reason this thread was started was because of the fear of just what fans like you are doing right now.....and Terry Pegula being Fan #1. I've been quiet, but attitudes like that are just like waving a big ying-yang in my face. Then everyone can label a fan that doesn't believe as a killjoy or negative.

Winning cures everything. It may be 50/50 that they miss the playoffs -- but if they make it I give them a respectable chance at beating either the Rangers or Boston. I kinda think if they do they will be a more playoff-ready team than they were last year. And if they do win a round, credit will have been earned and will need to be given.

If they don't, then TSC will have the last word. But I suspect no one, including you, really wants that.

I get this, I really do.

I want to believe there is a master plan here. Teams and players can change from year to year. A few breaks and a player or two can change the complexion and fortunes of a team from year to year. I believe there is enough depth on this team to be a contender with the addition of a true #1 center. The D is solid as is the goalie position The forwards are decent. This team is an Eric Staal type player away from being a very formidable team in the future. Will they get a real center, I don't know, but I suspect they will. I want to believe that was the plan all along for getting rid of Gaustad. You can't recast a team in a single season. Last season saw some true upgrades and this off season will see some more. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the ride.

I agree completely with the "they ain't done nothing yet" sentiment and the idea that people are way too excited.

But to dismiss the current run as a product of "the pressure being off" makes me shake my head.

Belittle November and December as much as you want, but the pressure has been on every game since January and the team has responded.

And to say the "entire year down the crapper without one move being made" is specious and leads me to suspect Drane is simply playing the role.

Assuming all his criticisms above are true of last year's team, Regier has replaced:

Montador with Ehrhoff

Butler — Regehr

Niedermayer — Leino

Gaustad — Foligno

Connolly — Hodgson

Gragnani — Sulzer

Grier — Tropp

Mother Nature isn't the only thing that's inevitable.

I agree completely with the "they ain't done nothing yet" sentiment and the idea that people are way too excited.

But to dismiss the current run as a product of "the pressure being off" makes me shake my head.

Belittle November and December as much as you want, but the pressure has been on every game since January and the team has responded.

And to say the "entire year down the crapper without one move being made" is specious and leads me to suspect Drane is simply playing the role.

Assuming all his criticisms above are true of last year's team, Regier has replaced:

Montador with Ehrhoff

Butler — Regehr

Niedermayer — Leino

Gaustad — Foligno

Connolly — Hodgson

Gragnani — Sulzer

Grier — Tropp

Mother Nature isn't the only thing that's inevitable.

I agree with much of your post. I do think though that for most of the Sabres' surge we haven't seen the opponents' best games. I just think the other team doesn't get as fired up to play a 10th-place team as it does to play a top dog.

And while GoDD can certain speak for himself, I'd guess that the "no changes being made this year" was meant to apply to the 35 games or so in November, December and January when they fell off the table and came out night after night with no heart and no determination. Let's not forget that DR stood by and did nothing while that debacle unfolded -- and there is still a very real likelihood that this inaction will cost the Sabres the playoffs this year.

I want this team to win as much as anyone here does. I just can't believe in them yet. This winning streak (which, btw, does not have them in the playoffs as of this point in time) has been enjoyable -- especially that Rangers game -- but I'm not convinced. I need to see it in the playoffs.

See, this is where you're wrong.

Everyone wants to be right. That's human nature. But even the cloudiest members of TSC want the Sabres to win. I have no doubt about this whatsoever.

See, this is where you're wrong.

I agree with you shrader. Notice how certain posters have mysteriously backed off during this recent run. They can't find it in their own hearts to say something positive about this team.

It's so easy for people to be negative, but so much harder for them to be positive.

I agree with you shrader. Notice how certain posters have mysteriously backed off during this recent run. They can't find it in their own hearts to say something positive about this team.

It's so easy for people to be negative, but so much harder for them to be positive.

If we lose tonight we go back to 9th, that means moving up the draft order! WOOHOO! :rolleyes:

I get this, I really do.

I want to believe there is a master plan here. Teams and players can change from year to year. A few breaks and a player or two can change the complexion and fortunes of a team from year to year. I believe there is enough depth on this team to be a contender with the addition of a true #1 center. The D is solid as is the goalie position The forwards are decent. This team is an Eric Staal type player away from being a very formidable team in the future. Will they get a real center, I don't know, but I suspect they will. I want to believe that was the plan all along for getting rid of Gaustad. You can't recast a team in a single season. Last season saw some true upgrades and this off season will see some more. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the ride.

I like Miller and the D. That is a solid long term plan. I wanted Montador here, but Sulzer is like Montador without the nastiness. I'm cool with it and was going into the season.

Right now they lucked into foligno giving them pep...Darcy admitted so today. Why the hell don't we try to get 3 of him with the same skillset? We traded away the other guy in the organisation who could do it and haven't had one here in years. Can't they see what a big guy with oomph in the corners and in front of the net can do for the skill guys? Drives me F'n nuts.

Enjoy the ride. I keep quiet because it is good to see them win. I hope they win. I don't want to hope though. I want to believe. And until they really DO SOMETHING, don't wave ding-dongs in my face. When they beat NY in the playoffs....please do. It will be fun.

And some people just want to watch the world burn.

Some people call a fire put out on a smouldering duplex....a fire put out on a smouldering duplex...and not a castle.

I don't know about anyone else, but if I am grouped in there....I've been begging for a tough, power forward to be put with Stafford for years and never joined in the SS Bukake on him this year.

I even changed my avitar to something positive.

It could be they already know how the movie ends and don't want to ruin it for those that have forgotten that they watched this same movie last year.

The only differences from last year will be the goats and the excuses.

Tonight, I think is what NFreeman was talking about — a good team playing us hard, and we lost.

I don't think we were bad, but they were better. They probably would be better over seven games.

And my God would I love a Jordan Staal on this team.

Tonight, I think is what NFreeman was talking about — a good team playing us hard, and we lost.

I don't think we were bad, but they were better. They probably would be better over seven games.

And my God would I love a Jordan Staal on this team.

We lost to the better team. Pittsburgh is a great team, and my pick to win the Cup. I don't think we get to 6 games in a playoff series against them. But the game wasn't completely without positives....the fragile little children didn't show up. The fragile little children would have totally collapsed at 4-2, if not earlier....but these guys kept on coming. Perception is everything...if the Sabres are solidly in a playoff spot, I don't think most fans would feel too bad after this game. Of course, they're not solidly (or at all now) in a playoff spot, so this game is brutal.

Perception is everything...if the Sabres are solidly in a playoff spot, I don't think most fans would feel too bad after this game. Of course, they're not solidly (or at all now) in a playoff spot, so this game is brutal.

That about nails it.

Longest winning streak in over two years and haven't lost in regulation in nine games. Only lost two in regulation in the past 20.

Some people are never happy. They're right, nothing has changed.

Hey look, a jinx. I was wondering why they lost tonight. :ph34r:

Archived