Feel free to bash me...I want the Sabres to miss the playoffs!

LabattBlue

Win or lose?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sabres win the rest or lose the rest?

• WIN
    • Lose

No they don't grow number one centers on trees. Many on this board yearn for Briere, yet he has never been a 1rst line player in Philly. I listen to the xm broadcast from Philly when in the car, and they refer to the Giroux's line is their number one. Yes Vanek has been a constant on the number one line here. Is the lack of a number one center an excuse, or is he just not first line talent? As I said earlier, the bulk of those who post on this board hate Roy, but would Roy be better if he had two stud wingers. Of course he would. The bulk of the last few years he's had skilled soft wingers in Vanek and Stafford. Then the GENIUS pairs him and Gerbe. Wow, that would scare me if I was Chara and going back to retrieve a puck. OH, but we don't dump it in cuz we know we can't retrieve.LOL Vanek would be better if he had a true #1 center and a physical stud on the other wing without a doubt. Bottom line is Regier has not put together a good team of top line talent. He drafts well? Girouix was #20 overall, at 178lbs, has size and great skill on his wings. Every player in this organization whether in the NHL, AHL, Juniors or Europe are his picks. Regier has to go, and the lawyer Black and our owner are being snowed.

Um, I've got news for ya........... BFLO drafted AFTER GIroux was picked. And 21 other GM's passed on him too. I guess they should be fired. Hindsight can be so convenient after the fact. :doh:

Um, I've got news for ya........... BFLO drafted AFTER GIroux was picked. And 21 other GM's passed on him too. I guess they should be fired. Hindsight can be so convenient after the fact. :doh:

Well, you know they have a saying down in Texas, "Fool me once....shame on you......Fool me......Uh......We won't get fooled again!"

One interesting thing about Giroux: The entire OHL passed on him, too. He wasn't drafted into major junior, and had to play junior-A for a little while before "walking on" to a team in the QMJHL (not his "home" league, since he's from Ontario). There were reasons for those 21 NHL GMs to pass on him, but all but a small few are kicking themselves!

Okay pick out one line from the post, and that's great. Simple question: Do yo like your team after 15 years of this GM? Yes or NO?

Only cuz it was a minor point of the post. Hell all GM's missed on picks in hindsight. I know that, it wasn't about Giroux. Overall Regier hasn't produced enough to keep his job for this length of time, imo, that's all. Didn't mean to sound pissed. Just really frustrated after 42 years of this crap. We don't have enough top line talent for the way this league is played. I'm done blaming the players. It's the guy who is building it. Sorry! It's called a team for a reason, and all the parts need to mesh and have a purpose. You could pick any player on this team and make him better with a linemate or differnet defense partner..

Only cuz it was a minor point of the post. Hell all GM's missed on picks in hindsight. Overall Regier hasn't produced enough to keep his job for this length of time, imo, that's all. Didn't mean to sound pissed. Just really frustrate after 42 years of this crap. We don't have enough top line talent for the way this league is played. I'm done blaming the players. It's the guy who is building it. Sorry! It's called a team for a reason, and all the parts need to mesh and have a purpose. You could pick any 5 guys on this team and surround them with the right players and we'd be in the playoffs and competing.

I have to separate Quinn Darcy from non-Quinn Darcy. Quinn Darcy gets a pass on a lot of, but not all, stupid decisions (but that entire 2006 draft, ugh...). Non-Quinn Darcy doesn't.

Recently, we've had about fourteen months of non-Quinn Darcy. Here's what we got:

Boyes (and his 2x $4M contract) for a second-round pick

Ehrhoff

Leino (who lied about being ready to play center, but I'll put it on the GM to detect that lie)

Regehr

Stafford's contract

a first-rounder for Paul Gaustad

Hodgson for Kassian

Sulzer for Gragnani (and yeah, they were separate trades--just watch the video of the Hodgson trade call into NHL HQ)

and of course, the 2011 draft class, which is not susceptible of evaluation at this point.

To me, that's a B- or C+, and I'm not sure I want a B- or C+ GM. I'm not sure he won't improve, either. He did JUST enough to make me think about having another look at non-Quinn Darcy.

Okay pick out one line from the post, and that's great. Simple question: Do yo like your team after 15 years of this GM? Yes or NO?

I can't answer that right now because for too many years DR's hands were tied. It's tough for a GM to do his job when the owner says you can only spend a percentage of what everybody else can. Based on what he was allowed to do, I think her did a decent job. He's only had a year with free reign. I think his moves during the offseason were damn good. Leino is a bust, but Ehrhoff and Regehr are obviously important parts of this team. Getting a 1st rounder for Gaustad and Hodgson/Sulzer for Kassian/MAG was a great move. But we won't know who got the best of that deal for a while. One year does not make or break a GM. He deserves this offseason to see what he can do.

Only cuz it was a minor point of the post. Hell all GM's missed on picks in hindsight. I know that, it wasn't about Giroux. Overall Regier hasn't produced enough to keep his job for this length of time, imo, that's all. Didn't mean to sound pissed. Just really frustrated after 42 years of this crap. We don't have enough top line talent for the way this league is played. I'm done blaming the players. It's the guy who is building it. Sorry! It's called a team for a reason, and all the parts need to mesh and have a purpose. You could pick any player on this team and make him better with a linemate or differnet defense partner..

Oh well in that case, yer preachin to the choir here! I am absolutely impressed with the Gaustad deal and the Sulzer/Hodgson deal could really be a good one too, but the Leino thing, IMO, is what should be making Ted Black put Darcy and Lindy in a room together and just read them both the riot act. Because unless Leino makes a complete 180 with his attitude and intensity, and frankly skill level, out there, this is kinda the straw that broke this camel's back...I do like alot of Darcy's draft picks, however.

I have to separate Quinn Darcy from non-Quinn Darcy. Quinn Darcy gets a pass on a lot of, but not all, stupid decisions (but that entire 2006 draft, ugh...). Non-Quinn Darcy doesn't.

Recently, we've had about fourteen months of non-Quinn Darcy. Here's what we got:

Ehrhoff

Leino (who lied about being ready to play center, but I'll put it on the GM to detect that lie)

Regehr

Stafford's contract

Hodgson for Kassian

Sulzer for Gragnani (and yeah, they were separate trades--just watch the video of the Hodgson trade call into NHL HQ)

and of course, the 2011 draft class, which is not susceptible of evaluation at this point.

To me, that's a B- or C+, and I'm not sure I want a B- or C+ GM. I'm not sure he won't improve, either. He did JUST enough to make me think about having another look at non-Quinn Darcy.

Great post. We were not that far below the cap for many of those years. We didn't do the crazy contracts like we could with Ehroff. Plus, the cap DOES not effect the style of player you draft.

C+ and the jury is out.

I agree about Leino. Admit it was a mistake a just cut ties with him. Not sure how that all works out with waivers and cap space. But nobody will trade for his contract. He's 28 years old, on his third team and has yet to break 250 games. I was willing to give him a chance but after what he pulled after the Sabres got knocked out of the playoffs by declining an interview because he wanted to talk to his buddies in the Philly locker room just shows me he doesn't care. For what he has to offer, he's just taking up cap space.

I agree about Leino. Admit it was a mistake a just cut ties with him. Not sure how that all works out with waivers and cap space. But nobody will trade for his contract. He's 28 years old, on his third team and has yet to break 250 games. I was willing to give him a chance but after what he pulled after the Sabres got knocked out of the playoffs by declining an interview because he wanted to talk to his buddies in the Philly locker room just shows me he doesn't care. For what he has to offer, he's just taking up cap space.

No-one will take Leino after his season and those comments. We are officially stuck with him.

I think we were officially stuck with him when he signed that contract. Fortunately for me, I like Ville Leino ;)

I hate the comments but I'm willing to give him another year. If Ruff's job was in jeopardy then I'd say the comments are ok, but we know his staying so why not just shut his mouth? Especially as he was pretty useless.

Ehrhoff

Regehr

Stafford's contract

Hodgson for Kassian

With all the talk lately of how well we set up going into the draft, we need to add Calgary's second round pick to that list as well.

Firstly, i agree about separating Quinn/non-quinn. But it appears that for whatever reaso, Darcy has gotten better at drafting top talent (has our head scout changed?) We had about a decade of mediocre picks in the first and second round. Had we had even one become a star we would be in a nicer position. Even Vanek is not top flight talent.

I think recently he has proved his worth as a GM.

Boyes - this seemed like a good trade at the time, a 2nd for a player who looked like he just needed a change of scene, but hind sight showed us it was a Cheechoo thing.

Erhoff - Can't flaw this in my opinion

Leino - Seems like a stupid decision, but i'd give him another year as maybe he just needed to settle in?

Regehr and a 2nd - absolute steal

Stafford - Meh, he showed potential to earn that contract down the stretch, again too early to completely throw in the towel

Goose 1st - Absolute steal

Coho/Kass - Seems like a good trade to me, i am not sure Kass will become the power forward he could, but what do i know - plus we needed depth at centre. Coho is also a solid two way guy, something i like in my team (hence why i want Hecht back for like $1.5mil)

Sulzer/Grag - Damn good trade

That is a pretty good recent record

Firstly, i agree about separating Quinn/non-quinn. But it appears that for whatever reaso, Darcy has gotten better at drafting top talent (has our head scout changed?) We had about a decade of mediocre picks in the first and second round. Had we had even one become a star we would be in a nicer position. Even Vanek is not top flight talent.

I think recently he has proved his worth as a GM.

Boyes - this seemed like a good trade at the time, a 2nd for a player who looked like he just needed a change of scene, but hind sight showed us it was a Cheechoo thing.

Erhoff - Can't flaw this in my opinion

Leino - Seems like a stupid decision, but i'd give him another year as maybe he just needed to settle in?

Regehr and a 2nd - absolute steal

Stafford - Meh, he showed potential to earn that contract down the stretch, again too early to completely throw in the towel

Goose 1st - Absolute steal

Coho/Kass - Seems like a good trade to me, i am not sure Kass will become the power forward he could, but what do i know - plus we needed depth at centre. Coho is also a solid two way guy, something i like in my team (hence why i want Hecht back for like $1.5mil)

Sulzer/Grag - Damn good trade

That is a pretty good recent record

Hecht is too injury prone for me, I cant help but think we can do better. Other than that you make a good argument, even I have to give him one more season now.

Archived