GDT: Rangers at Sabres 2/01/12 7:30PM

spndnchz

Gerbe gettin some love from Tyler Ennis.

Today, when Ennis was asked about his return to the lineup he said "Sitting out for six weeks like I had to when I was injured, I got to watch the game from another perspective. Sitting up there, I watched Gerbe and how he's always moving and always skating hard. That's why he's so successful. He never stops his feet. I said to myself before last night's game that I was going to play just like Gerbe. I think he and I, and Staff, we played real well together because we love to skate and we are hard to defend when we are all moving."

I disagree on Staff but some pretty kind words from Ennis that I wanted to share and this was the most logical thread to add it in.

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

That hit Ennis laid out was something you could see Gerbe attempting. Seeing those two flying up the ice, I imagine is going to freeze some defense men, they both can fly and it doesn't give you much time to react. I like the line, I can see Gerbe and Ennis feeding off each other, if Stafford could just hit 1 out of 2 open nets that he blows, the line could be productive. One thing about tonight's game is that Ennis logged over 18 minutes last night, he may not have the legs, but energy has never seemed to be a problem with him.

Totally agree on the bolded parts. I would just add that if Ennis starts to bring it as hard and as consistently as Gerbe, he could turn into a star player.

And that failure to convert by Stafford on the 2-on-1 with 5-6 minutes left last night had me getting out the torches and pitchforks. Focus, dammit!! Step up when your team needs you!!

I disagree on Staff but some pretty kind words from Ennis that I wanted to share and this was the most logical thread to add it in.

Actually, Staff has picked up his skating lately. What him specifically tonight and see if you don't agree. He's better on the backcheck, better along the boards, and that glorious chance he couldn't quite bury last night came purely because he was skating hard to the net. I will admit he is snakebit when it comes to actually scoring, but the rest of his game has been good lately.

Counting for what? Waivers?

I think so. If you're up for 10 games (? I think), and get sent back down, you have to clear waivers first.

Actually, Staff has picked up his skating lately. What him specifically tonight and see if you don't agree. He's better on the backcheck, better along the boards, and that glorious chance he couldn't quite bury last night came purely because he was skating hard to the net. I will admit he is snakebit when it comes to actually scoring, but the rest of his game has been good lately.

I have noticed the exact same thing. I think a lot of the Stafford bashing is mostly flavor of the month type comments. In my eyes he is skating hard, actually throwing hits in the corners and is becoming a precense in the offensive zone. I'm not sure I'd go as far as say his play has been 'good' lately, because I know he could be a lot better, but he is definietly picking up his game. In fact, from what I saw of last game, I would only point out Roy as a player that continues to look jawdroppingly poor.

Oh what the heck. If some of you guys can have nice things to say about Stafford, I'll try to bite my tongue if I see him do his usual Prince Nonchalant routine. I'll even go so far as to agree that the last few games he's been skating harder. Perhaps putting him on a line with two fast, competitive players will force him to keep up. If he actually starts winning more puck battles, hell if he even engages in more puck battles, I'd be willing to trade him rather than just hope they cut him just to get rid of him.

It's a start.

GO SABRES!!!

I think so. If you're up for 10 games (? I think), and get sent back down, you have to clear waivers first.

Not Kassian. He's not elligible for waivers yet. He needs to play in 160 NHL games, or be out of his entry level deal before he is elligible.

Yup. I think you're thinking of the whole Myers - juniors, no AHL thing.

I have noticed the exact same thing. I think a lot of the Stafford bashing is mostly flavor of the month type comments. In my eyes he is skating hard, actually throwing hits in the corners and is becoming a precense in the offensive zone. I'm not sure I'd go as far as say his play has been 'good' lately, because I know he could be a lot better, but he is definietly picking up his game. In fact, from what I saw of last game, I would only point out Roy as a player that continues to look jawdroppingly poor.

I certainly haven't noticed what you and Doohickie have seen but I will watch closer tonight. I'm not sure this is the flavour of the month bashing, maybe flavour of the season I suppose. For the salary he sucks up from this team and scoring a goal every other game last year, this guy needs to be a difference maker. I have not paid close attention to him as of late but I have not noticed him changing any games for us.

I think Adam has to be the sick Sabre, its my understanding that otherwise Kassian games would start counting as he wouldnt be on emergency recall.

I heard that Adam was a healthy scratch, but in Lindy's terms that could mean that there is a health issue involved. Who knows, i just wanted to see the vanek, pomi, adam line again. But with Vanek out now, i'm going to have to wait.

I certainly haven't noticed what you and Doohickie have seen but I will watch closer tonight. I'm not sure this is the flavour of the month bashing, maybe flavour of the season I suppose. For the salary he sucks up from this team and scoring a goal every other game last year, this guy needs to be a difference maker. I have not paid close attention to him as of late but I have not noticed him changing any games for us.

This is why I said he hasn't been playing 'good', he's been playing better. I completely agree that he is not performing at the level he should, and I don't think he ever will. I've seen flashes of what Drew Stafford should be, even in one game this year, and it's pretty awesome. I don't think he'll ever develop the mindset to achieve that level consistently.

But, that said, last year Stafford was one of our consistent horrible players, everyone has taken turns putting in dreadful games, but he was brining the stink night in and night out. He is no longer at that level in my opinion, he has improved his game. I hope he continues to work even harder on offense and I am pretty sure we'll see him start scoring at a semi respectable pace.

snapback.pngCallawaySabres, on 22 December 2011 - 10:37 AM, said:

I am going to say that Roy AND Stafford both get goals tonight - book it. I thought I would make it interesting on myself and say that if they don't, I will refrain from posting until end of January. Now I know nobody cares about that but I will...

Well, this was my last post and it did not work out so well. Turns out that January was quite a good month to take off. Time Warner has saved me A LOT of frustration and I have sold quite a few games. As far as tonight, I see a very hard fought game but the problem is, if they lose, everyone goes back to saying how terrible they are. In reality, the Rangers are a MUCH better team from top to bottom and no matter hard how Buffalo plays, it's going to be tough to get the 2 points. I don't think a victory is out of the question at all and if that is the case, I guarantee you see a whole new attitude on this board tomorrow.

Don't worry Roy and Stafford haters, they will still be gone either by deadline or July. This season has been quite a test and nobody is more dissapointed than the season ticket holders. Playoffs or no playoffs, just give me a reason to go to the games again.

I am going to say that Roy AND Stafford both get goals tonight - book it. I thought I would make it interesting on myself and say that if they don't, I will refrain from posting until end of January. Now I know nobody cares about that but I will...

Well, this was my last post and it did not work out so well. Turns out that January was quite a good month to take off. Time Warner has saved me A LOT of frustration and I have sold quite a few games. As far as tonight, I see a very hard fought game but the problem is, if they lose, everyone goes back to saying how terrible they are. In reality, the Rangers are a MUCH better team from top to bottom and no matter hard how Buffalo plays, it's going to be tough to get the 2 points. I don't think a victory is out of the question at all and if that is the case, I guarantee you see a whole new attitude on this board tomorrow.

Don't worry Roy and Stafford haters, they will still be gone either by deadline or July. This season has been quite a test and nobody is more dissapointed than the season ticket holders. Playoffs or no playoffs, just give me a reason to go to the games again.

Bolded: You've addressed a large portion of the board.

I will be flat out shocked if they are both gone by July.

I'm going to predict the Sabres score 4 tonight.

which is great ... if the rangers only score 3 or less. :)

as one who typically likes to let it all hang out, i'm going to make a bold prediction: SOMEONE will win.

that's right. you heard it here first.

Archived