Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Dammit, I really should have asked when a follow up would be, or when I would here back from them. Rookie mistake there. The letter seems like it might take awhile, and also be out of place considering the field I'm going into is all technology based and oriented. 

Dammit, I really should have asked when a follow up would be, or when I would here back from them. Rookie mistake there. The letter seems like it might take awhile, and also be out of place considering the field I'm going into is all technology based and oriented. 

Good point. Have you considered a telegram? Tweeting at them? :)

Not trying to play devil's advocate here, but I would view somebody sending me a thank you letter for an interview would seem like sucking up. Concluding an interview in a professional manner should be all that's needed. Personally, if I sent a thank you letter (or Email) and didn't get the job, I'd be left wondering if it had anything to do with me sucking up.

I guess it all depends on the person who conducted the interview.

By the way, I'm not implying anybody is a suck up, I'm sure the intentions are good. Just noting how some potential employers might view it.

Not trying to play devil's advocate here, but I would view somebody sending me a thank you letter for an interview would seem like sucking up. Concluding an interview in a professional manner should be all that's needed. Personally, if I sent a thank you letter (or Email) and didn't get the job, I'd be left wondering if it had anything to do with me sucking up.

I guess it all depends on the person who conducted the interview.

A candidate that cares enough about landing the job to follow-up w/ at minimum an e-mail & at best a thank you letter will almost universally be viewed in a better light than one that doesn't care enough to follow-up. (Obviously, if 1 candidate is light years ahead of the other(s), the letter won't help; but if they're close, showing attention to detail and enough interest in the position to follow-up will be viewed as a positive.)

I honestly have never met a hiring manager that complained about a potential hire sucking up by following up (unless there was something GLARINGLY wrong about the TYL). I've heard many complain about a lack of that initiative.

If you put a letter into today's mail and it's going from Olean to Buffalo it should be received w/in 2 days and likely the next day. Unless you feel strongly that the interviewers would prefer e-mail to snail mail, snail mail is typically better. Also, if you met several people and you have their contact info, seriously consider sending each of them a personalized response. If you don't have a good feel for how to do that, go w/ just the hiring manager, your HR contact &, IF you met w/ any of them, the hiring manager's boss(es). DO NOT send multiple people the exact same letter (excepting names & titles obviously); that WILL make you look like an idiot.

Good luck w/ it.

If you put a letter into today's mail and it's going from Olean to Buffalo it should be received w/in 2 days and likely the next day. Unless you feel strongly that the interviewers would prefer e-mail to snail mail, snail mail is typically better. Also, if you met several people and you have their contact info, seriously consider sending each of them a personalized response. If you don't have a good feel for how to do that, go w/ just the hiring manager, your HR contact &, IF you met w/ any of them, the hiring manager's boss(es). DO NOT send multiple people the exact same letter (excepting names & titles obviously); that WILL make you look like an idiot.

Good luck w/ it.

Ah so snail mail = postal mail. Did not know that  :D

Unfortunately I only got the information of the one person who interviewed me out of the 3 there, but I did email each person involved in the process (Chair of department gave me contact, his contact gave me the interview contact), and each seemed to appreciate the email. As far as sending the same letter, that should never be a problem for me, I enjoy talking to people and it's easier for me to just communicate than ctrl+v things. 

Thanks for the support though, it's always awesome being able to come onto this board and get advice and support from everyone, really does feel like a big family.  :beer:

A candidate that cares enough about landing the job to follow-up w/ at minimum an e-mail & at best a thank you letter will almost universally be viewed in a better light than one that doesn't care enough to follow-up. (Obviously, if 1 candidate is light years ahead of the other(s), the letter won't help; but if they're close, showing attention to detail and enough interest in the position to follow-up will be viewed as a positive.)

I honestly have never met a hiring manager that complained about a potential hire sucking up by following up (unless there was something GLARINGLY wrong about the TYL). I've heard many complain about a lack of that initiative.

Good luck w/ it.

Totally agree with this.

JJ50 -- time to reevaluate.

Speaking as someone who has spent ALOT of time and energy interviewing, AND done my fair share of hiring too, I can say that not only are follow up thank yous NOT considered brown nosing, they are also nearly a necessity.  You are competing against other candidates who most definitely are sending the employer follow up letters/emails.  A follow up is nearly always considered a sign of a candidate who is interested and excited by the opportunity, not a sign of a prospective slobberknocker.  Not following up is half assing it.

You are selling yourself.  Show me a salesman who doesn't follow up and I'll show you a starving salesman.

While we're on job interview stuff- anyone have any tips for interviews, particularly as a woman? Do I wear pants? A dress? I'm going shopping after work today to see if I can bolster my closet a little- I'm very much a retro dress style girl, and that just doesn't feel appropriate for a job interview. I guess I'm thinking nice pants, low heels, nice top, nothing flashy. 

I've really never had to do this before, but I'm hoping in the next couple of months I can pull something off and move to Buffalo. I'm looking at jobs in the sports/art crossover area, and I guess I feel I should look like an athlete or something. I don't know. This is all so daunting. 

While we're on job interview stuff- anyone have any tips for interviews, particularly as a woman? Do I wear pants? A dress? I'm going shopping after work today to see if I can bolster my closet a little- I'm very much a retro dress style girl, and that just doesn't feel appropriate for a job interview. I guess I'm thinking nice pants, low heels, nice top, nothing flashy. 

I've really never had to do this before, but I'm hoping in the next couple of months I can pull something off and move to Buffalo. I'm looking at jobs in the sports/art crossover area, and I guess I feel I should look like an athlete or something. I don't know. This is all so daunting. 

Men and women = same dress for meetings / interviews regardless of the setting, or industry.

A nice and conservative suit ... view it as a uniform.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Men and women = same dress for meetings / interviews regardless of the setting, or industry.

A nice and conservative suit ... view it as a uniform.

Agreed.

Politics aside, I think the HRC pantsuit uniform would do quite well for any woman interviewing for a job.

Agreed.

Politics aside, I think the HRC pantsuit uniform would do quite well for any woman interviewing for a job.

Agreed, that seems to be the uniform for interview and first day unless otherwise directed. Women can dispense with the tie, unless you're Paula Poundstone.

Do they even make pantsuits for women under 40??? 

I've got a couple HBIC (head b!tch in charge) blazers. Just need some nice pants and a colorful polished shirt and that'll do it, then. And low heels that aren't scuffed to hell. I could use a new face and hair too. Well, crap. 

I've got a couple HBIC (head b!tch in charge) blazers. Just need some nice pants and a colorful polished shirt and that'll do it, then. And low heels that aren't scuffed to hell. I could use a new face and hair too. Well, crap. 

Yes, and some women under 40 look absolutely stunning in them.

That'll accomplish the same thing as a pantsuit, for sure.

Good luck!

I think we're thinking of the same thing but different names haha

Pantsuit to me is a bad pastel boxy dealio that only Hillary and middle aged women wear.

I was thinking more this: F8Qxvy9.jpg

but that's more a blazer/cardigan with nice pants.

Same difference or too casual?

Women's wear: where there's just too many damn names for the same damn thing.

Sorry to derail this onto "jo doesn't know how to dress nicely unless it involves a 1940s pinup dress"

Now you're just fishing for complements. :)

Pantsuit to me is a bad pastel boxy dealio that only Hillary and middle aged women wear.

I was thinking dark grey or black, but - yeah. You may not be comfortable in that sort of get-up.

I think the picture above is a mite too casual (?). But maybe I misunderstand where you're interviewing, since you are a creative.

I infer that the blazers you have would be more formal looking than what's pictured.

Also, the pants there seem a bit high on the calf for a job interview. [Edit: Or is it that they're just sorta tailored? {I AM OUT OF MY DEPTH. Sorry.}]

Also also, is that blouse along the lines of what you're thinking? I wasn't sure. If so, it should have a more conservative cut.

Edited by That Aud Smell

No, the shirt would be higher, I wouldn't risk showing cleavage. I have to find a blazer somewhere between the suitjacket I own that's almost too stuffy and that. I have to find pants that don't make me look like a sack of potatoes. In short, I'm just not built for this stuff. I'm not looking at Fortune 500 companies. Other girls I know who've been interviewing lately have told me to wear cropped pants, flats, nice blouse, cardigan. Apparently that's what they wore when they got their jobs. But they're tall, thin, just have that look. I do not. They look chic and casual, I'd just ... well, not look good. 

I don't know. My self esteem is in the toilet anyways thanks to all of this, trying to find pants that fit is not going to help. I'm just not a classy looking person. This is going to be terribly difficult for me. 

I figured it was worth getting a male opinion, since that's who counts in the end anyways. 

No, the shirt would be higher, I wouldn't risk showing cleavage. I have to find a blazer somewhere between the suitjacket I own that's almost too stuffy and that. I have to find pants that don't make me look like a sack of potatoes. In short, I'm just not built for this stuff. I'm not looking at Fortune 500 companies. Other girls I know who've been interviewing lately have told me to wear cropped pants, flats, nice blouse, cardigan. Apparently that's what they wore when they got their jobs. But they're tall, thin, just have that look. I do not. They look chic and casual, I'd just ... well, not look good. 

I don't know. My self esteem is in the toilet anyways thanks to all of this, trying to find pants that fit is not going to help. I'm just not a classy looking person. This is going to be terribly difficult for me. 

I figured it was worth getting a male opinion, since that's who counts in the end anyways. 

http://www.anntaylor.com/Tall%20All-Season%20Stretch%20One%20Button%20Jacket/379565?colorExplode=true&skuId=19221106&CID=GoogleATSuitsSuitJackets&gclid=CMWInZrW9cwCFZA2gQodVgoICw

Something like that.  And you look fine.