Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

I was talking with a fellow the other day, and by pure happenstance he used to work and travel with my late dad. He told me how my dad would go back to his hotel room after dinner while the rest of the guys went to a bar. The next morning, the man recalled, my dad would just smile at them as they endured hangovers. Not that I expected to hear that my dad was a lush — he rarely drank and once got tipsy on half a glass of some horrible wine at a Pizza Hut up by Erie and my mom thought she'd have to drive us home, which would truly have been disastrous — but it was nice to not have my image of the man tainted. Maybe he was a square, but he was also a solid family man. What was beyond nice, awesome actually, was this out of nowhere and lovely and totally familiar image of my dad through the eyes of another.

Nice. I've had a few times where the stories I was told about my father as I grew up were either lies or twisted truths. Not enjoyable finding that the only things you know about the guy are lies.

The only story I really have to share about my father, who passed away when I was three, is the connection between him and my three-year college roommate. I met his father a couple of times, and one day we got to talking about how they used to live in Bradford (where I was born/my family lived before the accident). He asked where my dad worked and I mentioned where he worked in Bradford and his position. Turns out that my roommate's dad was actually the guy who replaced my father in that position when he quit.

Edited by Tankalicious

Know I'm not so popular around here, but I got an amazing phone call today. I'll be joining TWC Buffalo as an assignment editor. Looking forward to starting my broadcast career in Buffalo.

I don't think I'm overreaching when I say that we're all eager to challenge eachother here, usually respectfully. At the end of the day, we're all on the same team. Try not to automatically associate the day-to-day heat with hate.*

Congrats on the new path forward. The city needs educated, hard working people like you.

*I imagine an unfeasible scenario when we have a forum picnic IRL, we all meet each other, and when we all figure out each others' usernames, we point and laugh and shout "you ######!" And then smash drinks together and have a jolly time.

If you had guessed that I've been drinking, you would be correct.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I don't think I'm overreaching when I say that we're all eager to challenge eachother here, usually respectfully. At the end of the day, we're all on the same team. Try not to automatically associate the day-to-day heat with hate.*

Congrats on the new path forward. The city needs educated, hard working people like you.

*I imagine an unfeasible scenario when we have a forum picnic IRL, we all meet each other, and when we all figure out each others' usernames, we point and laugh and shout "you ######!" And then smash drinks together and have a jolly time.

If you had guessed that I've been drinking, you would be correct.

I hope that all you've said is accurate. Thanks.

I think in Tank's case, he told us enough about his life to put a big target on his back: young, in college, studying journalism or mass com, hoping to work in the media. He'll probably look back on this as just part of his education. I like to think this board hardened him up a bit (shut up, you pervs). Anyone working in the field he's entering, especially if he gets on air, has to be ready for legitimate criticisms and even the unfair potshots.

P.S. What happened to Tank's fellow Oleaner who had the Bills and Sabres site? Handle is escapng me right now. Another good young poster.

So I've discussed my weekend volunteering hobby on here before. Today I found out that one of our rescues had a pretty interesting past.

We pulled a grey/white mare from the kill pen in September. No one thought much of her other than she was well mannered despite being very very thin and had a halter that had grown into her face, which we cut off. We figured she was a thoroughbred, given her height/spirited nature. Nope. Couldn't find the telltale lip tattoo of a racer. Then someone recognized her. Discovered she was a standardbred racer, who in two years won $108,862, then was retired to pop out some babies. Registered name was Laag's Girl, foaled in 1990.

We get accomplished racers from time to time, and nothing particularly famous/high earning... I just thought it was interesting. She's a great horse and fattening up nicely. Makes me really happy to do what I do.

Then there's one of our other rescue residents.... if anyone's looking for a beautiful standardbred ex racer (has a freezebrand) project horse who's violent, nasty, crazy, and will pee on you at a moment's notice, boy howdy have I got the horse for you....

So I've discussed my weekend volunteering hobby on here before. Today I found out that one of our rescues had a pretty interesting past.

We pulled a grey/white mare from the kill pen in September. No one thought much of her other than she was well mannered despite being very very thin and had a halter that had grown into her face, which we cut off. We figured she was a thoroughbred, given her height/spirited nature. Nope. Couldn't find the telltale lip tattoo of a racer. Then someone recognized her. Discovered she was a standardbred racer, who in two years won $108,862, then was retired to pop out some babies. Registered name was Laag's Girl, foaled in 1990.

We get accomplished racers from time to time, and nothing particularly famous/high earning... I just thought it was interesting. She's a great horse and fattening up nicely. Makes me really happy to do what I do.

Then there's one of our other rescue residents.... if anyone's looking for a beautiful standardbred ex racer (has a freezebrand) project horse who's violent, nasty, crazy, and will pee on you at a moment's notice, boy howdy have I got the horse for you....

Don't know that you'll find any takers, but you've at least come to the right fanbase to have a shot. ;)

I think that one will fit right in at the next Bills home game.

I'm picturing a heartwarming Disney movie involving you and this horse, where you start out hating it, and then one of you saves the others life and you become inseparable. The horse later dies, but not before peeing on you one last time...

I'm picturing a heartwarming Disney movie involving you and this horse, where you start out hating it, and then one of you saves the others life and you become inseparable. The horse later dies, but not before peeing on you one last time...

That's odd. I see it shaking out the other way around.

But first I get her to race one last time (she apparently earned a paltry 1.5k on the track), change her registered name to Wicked Pissah, and she wins all the cups and money, breaks her leg and dies.

Also, that's just wrong.

I hate that animal. But it is always better to be pissed off than pissed on.

Making the move up to OP tomorrow.

So what are some general tips on moving to Buffalo? Best banks, car insurance, etc?

Any traffic, navigation or other travel tips when heading to the city?

Eating wings lowers bone density and reduces tendon strength.