What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

I ve seen crab raw and flamed with a butane torch over raw oysters. Both yummy.

Soft shell crab? Don't get me wrong; I'd try it in a heartbeat, but I've never seen it offered other than fried.

Edited by Eleven

I never would eat soft shell crab sushi (it's certain to be fried, isn't it?), but the rest of it is right freaking on.

Yeah...they fry it. Still with the sushi presentation. I guess a good gateway is the fried stuff like the tempura. Soft shell is a minor delicacy, and not much to it, so it is an easy sell.

I'm trying to think of stuff she wouldn't freak with. Tuna tataki is a decent convertor considering it is cooked on the outside.

Now I want sushi.....

Tried a sazerac (the drink, not the brand) for the first time last night. I'm normally not a fan of strong licorice flavors, but that was very tasty.

I have yet to try a Sazerac. The places I hang don't have absinthe.

My greatest fail is vacationing in New Orleans and not finding the time to have a Sazerac at the hotel that made them famous.

I have yet to try a Sazerac. The places I hang don't have absinthe.

My greatest fail is vacationing in New Orleans and not finding the time to have a Sazerac at the hotel that made them famous.

This was the first I'd seen one on a drink menu, so I felt compelled to give it a try. Not something I'd drink regularly, but a nice way to change it up. My bf went to a bachelor party in NO last year and spent the whole night drinking Sazeracs and Pimms Cups, lol.

Yeah...they fry it. Still with the sushi presentation. I guess a good gateway is the fried stuff like the tempura. Soft shell is a minor delicacy, and not much to it, so it is an easy sell.

In Maryland, most of the local crab places had Soft-shell crab sandwiches when in seasons. Essentially, it's a whole crab, battered and deep fried on a bun. The crab itself is roughly the size of a burger patty, so it works. It's pretty good, but I usually get crab cake because there's more meat.

So this probably belongs in the awesome thread, but: went to the Philly Flower Show over the weekend. now, I know what you're thinking, but it's interesting to walk around for a bit and it's good points with the wife. Two years ago, there was a "Man Cave" with a bar, recliners, and TVs (unfortunately playing college hoops). My buddy and I were kinda disappointed that there wasn't one this year, until we got to the "Wine Tasting" area. Free with admission to the show, there were probably 30 tables with samples. The thing is, I didn't have a drop of wine. About half of the tables had booze. Sure, you're only getting a little at a time, but it doesn't take many littles to make enough. Four roses, Lavauglin (Spelling!), Gentleman Jack, local Gin, Rye Vodka, Absinthe, and whiskeys, the works. I'll have to get my booklet out and make some notes on stuff to try again.

I had the Burro Rafael with Chipotle Chicken from Rio Tomatlan in Canandaigua on Saturday.

I have not stopped thinking about how awesome it was since then. It might be the best thing I've ever eaten.

Rio Tomatlan is just plain awesome. Went there for a tequila tasting/a friend's gig a couple years back. Took d4rk there at one point, too. If you like hot, it's a great place. I'm bad with spice, so I was downing Jarrito's to put out the mouth fire, but damn good.

I had the Burro Rafael with Chipotle Chicken from Rio Tomatlan in Canandaigua on Saturday.

I have not stopped thinking about how awesome it was since then. It might be the best thing I've ever eaten.

Rio Tomatlan is just plain awesome. Went there for a tequila tasting/a friend's gig a couple years back. Took d4rk there at one point, too. If you like hot, it's a great place. I'm bad with spice, so I was downing Jarrito's to put out the mouth fire, but damn good.

I must know where this place is located.

Beeman St. in Canandaigua.

they have something like 100 tequilas.

I never knew what good tequila was until I was lucky enough to have dinner with a most favored person in Texas at a great Mexican place. They brought 15 bottles off the shelf and put them on the table for the 10 of us...on the house to "sample". Don Julio Reposado is the best value to me. I only get a bottle a year because I would go broke otherwise.

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.