What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Our week spent at the beach in Maine is nearly over. We've had lobster in restaurants a couple of times. Leaving in a few for the fish market. I'm getting some shedders and doing them at the beach house tonight. Most folks look down on the soft shells but they are my favorite. Tender, sweet and perfect. The ultimate match for my black IPA home brew.

I have never had a soft shell lobster....plenty of soft shell crabs , but no lobster. I am guessing just a simple grilling?

Also, I must suck at beer pairing cause a black IPA would have been the last thing I would pair with lobster. How was it?

Sage gin and Fever Tree Indian tonic water makes a very fine G&T.

BTW, if you have a Whole Foods around , the 365 tonic is made with cane sugar as well, taste all the equal to the Fever Tree , and is half the price. Yep , something at Whole Foods can actually be economical.

I know all too well, wife has a Hendricks and Tonic every night.

Edited by plenzmd1

^^

I'm sure you are as good at beer pairings as anyone else. The soft shells are so sweet that the hops are more pronounced. Then back to a bite of sweet buttery meat. If you ever have a choice between hard or soft shell, give the softies a try.

So I get home from work at 3am. I'd like to have a beer and then go to sleep. I'm out of beer, OK. I open the fridge to find only my wife's reds apple ale. I look in the freezer, only Disorono. I look in the liquor cabinet and I find a bottle of twizzler flavored Vodka, a bottle of peach schnapps, a bottle of bailey's Irish Cream and a bottle of wine that a homeless person wouldn't cook with.

I decided that the NyQuill in the medicine cabinet was the best option. Good night.

Great line.

• 2 weeks later...

Martin Cooks set up shop in a freaking Sunoco and it is out of this world. 

Korean fried chicken, noodles, slaw.  $9.   And that's a half of a chicken.

If you're plugged into the Buffalo food situation, you know Martin Cooks.

He put a stand in a freaking gas station.

God bless that man, unless we turn into Portlandia.

Martin Cooks set up shop in a freaking Sunoco and it is out of this world.

Korean fried chicken, noodles, slaw. $9. And that's a half of a chicken.

If you're plugged into the Buffalo food situation, you know Martin Cooks.

He put a stand in a freaking gas station.

God bless that man, unless we turn into Portlandia.

Nice

Trying to get more into healthy eating now that I'm out on my own where the food that is in my living space was all purchased when I made a choice... So I've got control finally.

Any big tips?

Just an idea of my past eating habits and why it's been a nearly impossible task: Was never made to eat my vegetables (there rarely ever was vegetables around), lived with my brothers for a while which basically meant pasta, frozen foods and pizza all the time. Soda was essentially the only option.

Right now I've been able to cut out most soda and have no problem going without it. I'll have it when I go out to a restaurant or on other special occasions. Slowly trying to get into eating salads. Love celery. Can tolerate carrots (uncooked).

I am a big texture eater so I struggle when vegetables aren't on their own. Struggle if they're cooked into something or on top of something.

One big issue I need to kick is the amount of ranch I consume. I love ranch and hot sauce as a mixture for dipping things into.

So any tips on getting over the hump? Tips for cost-effective healthy shopping is also helpful because my venture into healthy foods has proved to be far more expensive than normal.

Avoid all the gimmicks. I eat a lot of cheap protein and carbs because of my activity level.

My diet when I'm not with Josie on the weekends consists of raisin bran and cottage cheese for breakfast, PB&J sandwiches for lunch, sardine sandwiches with dill pickle spears, scrambled eggs and toast with local honey, or pork n beans for dinner. No soda. Maybe a beer. I drink a glass of Gerolsteiner mineral water each day. And lots of 1-2% milk. Nothing lower in fat because it's not good for you.

Oh and a pot of coffee every day.

It's not for everyone but it's what makes me feel good.

Trying to get more into healthy eating now that I'm out on my own where the food that is in my living space was all purchased when I made a choice... So I've got control finally.

Any big tips?

Just an idea of my past eating habits and why it's been a nearly impossible task: Was never made to eat my vegetables (there rarely ever was vegetables around), lived with my brothers for a while which basically meant pasta, frozen foods and pizza all the time. Soda was essentially the only option.

Right now I've been able to cut out most soda and have no problem going without it. I'll have it when I go out to a restaurant or on other special occasions. Slowly trying to get into eating salads. Love celery. Can tolerate carrots (uncooked).

I am a big texture eater so I struggle when vegetables aren't on their own. Struggle if they're cooked into something or on top of something.

One big issue I need to kick is the amount of ranch I consume. I love ranch and hot sauce as a mixture for dipping things into.

So any tips on getting over the hump? Tips for cost-effective healthy shopping is also helpful because my venture into healthy foods has proved to be far more expensive than normal.

My salads used to be delivery devices for probably about 1000 calories of cheese, egg and 1000 Island dressing. Now, I don't use any cheese, and use sliced pepperoncini, balsamic and OO. I don't miss the calories at all. And today was the first time in almost 6 years that when I weighed myself I was in the 220s (it was like 229.X but who cares).

Switching from beer to vodka and seltzer As well as the salad thing has me down almost 15 pounds in 3 weeks.

Avoid all the gimmicks. I eat a lot of cheap protein and carbs because of my activity level.

My diet when I'm not with Josie on the weekends consists of raisin bran and cottage cheese for breakfast, PB&J sandwiches for lunch, sardine sandwiches with dill pickle spears, scrambled eggs and toast with local honey, or pork n beans for dinner. No soda. Maybe a beer. I drink a glass of Gerolsteiner mineral water each day. And lots of 1-2% milk. Nothing lower in fat because it's not good for you.

Oh and a pot of coffee every day.

It's not for everyone but it's what makes me feel good.

Explains everything.

Any big tips?

How are you with Asian food? 

Love Indian food (the spicier the better). Love Chinese food (really just the American plates with Chinese names that are mostly unhealthy). Don't like seafood.

Seems like cooked veggies wouldn't be that big of a deal then.  Indian food is veggie heavy and other Asian foods certainly have their share.  Why not try to replicate some stir fry dishes at home?  You can control the healthy/unhealthy at home.  Indian food is generally very healthy too.  Alot if it is basically stewed meats and veggies in flavorful sauces.  Grab some of the prepackaged sauces you like from the ethnic food aisle and give those a try at home as well. Bonus, they make for quick, delicious meals.

I think the best thing you could do to get inspired is start checking out the cooking shows on TV.  PBS has some really good ones.

Edited by weave

Seems like cooked veggies wouldn't be that big of a deal then.  Indian food is veggie heavy and other Asian foods certainly have their share.  Why not try to replicate some stir fry dishes at home?  You can control the healthy/unhealthy at home.  Indian food is generally very healthy too.  Alot if it is basically stewed meats and veggies in flavorful sauces.  Grab some of the prepackaged sauces you like from the ethnic food aisle and give those a try at home as well. Bonus, they make for quick, delicious meals.

I think the best thing you could do to get inspired is start checking out the cooking shows on TV.  PBS has some really good ones.

There is a ton of butter and ghee in Indian food!

Seems like cooked veggies wouldn't be that big of a deal then. Indian food is veggie heavy and other Asian foods certainly have their share. Why not try to replicate some stir fry dishes at home? You can control the healthy/unhealthy at home. Indian food is generally very healthy too. Alot if it is basically stewed meats and veggies in flavorful sauces. Grab some of the prepackaged sauces you like from the ethnic food aisle and give those a try at home as well. Bonus, they make for quick, delicious meals.

I think the best thing you could do to get inspired is start checking out the cooking shows on TV. PBS has some really good ones.

My schedule is super awkward so it makes balancing cooking and other stuff before work tough, but I plan to attempt some Indian meals. Indian is a different beast than just about any other type of food because the veggies are extremely well masked.

My schedule is super awkward so it makes balancing cooking and other stuff before work tough, but I plan to attempt some Indian meals. Indian is a different beast than just about any other type of food because the veggies are extremely well masked.

Start with the prepared sauces first, jar or pouch.  They are going to be saltier than homemade, but chunks of chicken, veggies, simmered in a sauce takes about 20-25 minutes total time to prepare and its alot healthier than what it sounds like you're used to.

Start with the prepared sauces first, jar or pouch. They are going to be saltier than homemade, but chunks of chicken, veggies, simmered in a sauce takes about 20-25 minutes total time to prepare and its alot healthier than what it sounds like you're used to.

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tips!

Any big tips?

If you're curious about trying more Asian food, I definitely recommend this cookbook (or any of the series):

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Easy-Thai-Everyday-Recipes/dp/0811837319

I have this one and really love it.  There are plenty of non-seafood recipes, and the ones I've tried are so flavorful that I I forget they're not bad for you!  So if you have access to a decent Asian grocery store (or can order online) and like lime and salt, you'll find a lot of these to be very enjoyable.  The main "non-traditional" ingredients you'd want to have on hand are fish sauce (sounds gross, but it's basically liquid salt with lots of flavor), maybe red curry paste, and canned coconut milk.

As for Indian, I love a good curried lentil soup (this recipe is decent):

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-curried-lentil-soup/a218fb69-3128-425e-9d1e-817aefd96cf8

And a slow cooker is your best friend when time to cook is an issue.  Here's another link with lots of healthy soup recipes that might help you get more veggies:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/09/50-light-and-healthy-soup-recipes.html

You'll certainly have to experiment a little and see what you like, but that's part of the fun!  If you're intimidated by cooking, this is a great (and very easy) recipe for crock pot salsa chicken that I like:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/10/embarrassingly-easy-crock-pot-salsa.html

I've made this a bunch of times with boneless skinless chicken breasts, and it's so easy and versatile... I've eaten it over rice, on a salad, in sandwiches, etc.  Works really well as leftovers and freezes well, too.

Edited by biodork

I would suggest that if you like Indian, try so Thai curry. Sweeter and less heavy than Indian, and the vegetables tend to be more crisp (I'm not sure that's a plus for you). Wegmans has a bunch of premade jars of sauce in the foreign section and if you want really-easy pick up the pre-sliced vegetables over in produce. I'd start with red curry, then yellow (if they have it) and then green. I like green the best, but I think it's the least like Indian curries in spices. If you end up digging it, picking up curry paste and coconut milk is cheaper and not that much more work, as is slicing up some peppers and onions to toss in.

I would suggest that if you like Indian, try so Thai curry. Sweeter and less heavy than Indian, and the vegetables tend to be more crisp (I'm not sure that's a plus for you). Wegmans has a bunch of premade jars of sauce in the foreign section and if you want really-easy pick up the pre-sliced vegetables over in produce. I'd start with red curry, then yellow (if they have it) and then green. I like green the best, but I think it's the least like Indian curries in spices. If you end up digging it, picking up curry paste and coconut milk is cheaper and not that much more work, as is slicing up some peppers and onions to toss in.

Agree 100%

Thai curry also has a more pleasing aroma over Indian curry.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.