What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Black bear stew was the best game meat I have ever had. I had it once when I was like 4 years old, and to this day I still remember. My father brought a vat of it home from work, one of his buddies had gone to the Adirondacks and bagged one and made enough to share at work. It was flavorful, meaty, and did I mention DAMN good?

I don't know why, but one day a long time ago, Wegmans was giving out samples of shark.

Delicious.

Oh...good one. I like bold tastes, and shark is an affordable one. Halibut is great but mild. Swordfish is a good cross.

Moose. There is no equal.

I need to try this sometime. I know moose nose jelly is a niche food, but I have never come across a chance. Weave said antelope...and I really like that. Moose would probably be awesome.

I remember the first time I had venison. My friend asked me to help take the deer to the garage and hook it. I was mortified. Then his mom made 2 types of sausage, steaks, and onions with tidbits.....I suddenly thanked the baby Jesus for such a fine gift.

Man.....we need a Nordic Mighty Taco open right now......

Black bear stew was the best game meat I have ever had. I had it once when I was like 4 years old, and to this day I still remember. My father brought a vat of it home from work, one of his buddies had gone to the Adirondacks and bagged one and made enough to share at work. It was flavorful, meaty, and did I mention DAMN good?

I've heard great things about bear, but you have to be careful where and when you get it. I know most black bears here in NC are very greasy and taste foul, since their diet depends so much on garbage. The best time to get one is the spring, when their diet depends more on foraging. My brother-in-law got one in the fall a few years back, and it was just awful.

Moose. There is no equal.

Caribou (a/k/a reindeer, but they don't call it that on menus). Even better.

I have not had bear, possum, antelope or woodchuck, but I've had just about everything else mentioned in the recent posts. I'd say my favorite game is the rabbit ragu at Lombardo (Hertel), but that's only because of the preparation. The caribou is next, ad probably ostrich after that.

I have not had bear, possum, antelope or woodchuck, but I've had just about everything else mentioned in the recent posts. I'd say my favorite game is the rabbit ragu at Lombardo (Hertel), but that's only because of the preparation. The caribou is next, ad probably ostrich after that.

Wild rabbit is very dependent on their forage. Woodland bunnies are a bit gamey. Rabbits that spend their time in fields are much milder tasting. Farm raised rabbits are damned near to chicken.

The first time I had moose was after an outdoor shinny game in Atlin, BC in January. The whole town showed up to watch and after, we all went to a party at some guy's house deep in the woods,… awesome.

The next time, while returning our boat after three days of catching rainbows on the Russian river in AK, in the parking lot (the place rented boats and processed game. I love AK) we bought about ten pounds from a guy who had shot it a few days earlier. We cooked it up outside on a fire pit at a state park on the way back to Anchorage,… even better.

I wonder if it would have tasted as good at a fancy restaurant on the Upper East Side. Doubt it.

I've never had caribou but could see it being really good.

Edited by SwampD

The first time I had moose was after an outdoor shinny game in Atlin, BC in January. The whole town showed up to watch and after, we all went to a party at some guy's house deep in the woods,… awesome.

The next time, while returning our boat after three days of catching rainbows on the Russian river in AK, in the parking lot (the place rented boats and processed game. I love AK) we bought about ten pounds from a guy who had shot it a few days earlier. We cooked it up outside on a fire pit at a state park on the way back to Anchorage,… even better.

I wonder if it would have tasted as good at a fancy restaurant on the Upper East Side. Doubt it.

I've never had caribou but could see it being really good.

OMG Fishing in Alaska is on my bucket list.

BTW, this is a distant relative of mine. http://www.uticaod.com/x1547945201/Former-Boonville-man-survives-bear-attack

You gotta go. I've been four times now, two to play hockey, two to fish.

Oh, and I have serious bearanoia. There ain't no fear like the fear of gettin' et'.

And I love trout and salmon fishing. Hoping to catch some near shore browns in Ontario tomorrow AM.

And I love trout and salmon fishing. Hoping to catch some near shore browns in Ontario tomorrow AM.

Pics or it didn't happen.

(I just need something to keep me going until I get back to the Lower Niagara in a few weeks. Man, I miss the Great Lakes!)

Pics or it didn't happen.

(I just need something to keep me going until I get back to the Lower Niagara in a few weeks. Man, I miss the Great Lakes!)

It was a quiet morning. Not many folks on the water. I hooked and lost two browns. I suppose I could post a pic of a Little Cleo with nothing on it.

Are you chartering or fishing from shore? If you are shore fishing I'd try to meet up if my schedule allows.

Why did your relative attack that man?

Wanted the salmon. That is actually what happened. He was walking back to his truck with a couple fish, the brownie charged him, roughed him up a bit, took his fish, and left. He still plans to live part time in that area. The bear attack hasn't changed his plan any. Ya gotta be a bit different to want to live up there.

Edited by weave

It was a quiet morning. Not many folks on the water. I hooked and lost two browns. I suppose I could post a pic of a Little Cleo with nothing on it.

Are you chartering or fishing from shore? If you are shore fishing I'd try to meet up if my schedule allows.

Friend with a boat. I'm a passenger but if there is room you will get a PM. Here was our trip 2 years ago.

http://forums.sabres...000#entry423443

Just heard about these folks since they were featured on BlackboardEats:

http://www.sweetwaterspice.com

Sweetwater Spice Co., created in Austin, TX in 2007, is the maker of the first ready-to-use brine concentrates. Our BBQ BATH, FAJITA BATH, REGIONAL Q BATHS, and TURKEY BATH brine concentrates produce the most tender and juicy meat, no matter how it is cooked.

Sounds tasty!

Edited by biodork

Just got home from singing Beethoven's Ninth Symphony and have sucked down a mini Haagen-Dazs salted caramel gelato. The throat, she is very, very happy right now. Freude, schöner Götterfunken!

OK, now do that in reverse order, and we'll be impressed! :)

10 lb pork shoulder on the smoker now. A little after noon I'm adding a big sirloin tip roast. Smoked sirloin tip, asparagus, and potato salad for dinner today. Pulled pork for the freezer.

Today is a lounging around day. Tomorrow AM may be a little rough.

Ha! Does it count that I had tomato bisque followed by pistachio-honey ice cream as my pre-dinner meal?

Kind of. I can see the honey. I would have been worried about one of the pistachio pieces glomming its way onto your epiglottis.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.