Ted Black on WGR this morning...

LabattBlue

Damn that's harsh.

Harsh? Yes! Justified? Yes!

Black and Pegula screwed up in a huge way when they kept Regier and Ruff. It was the same decision Larry Quinn would have made if he were still around. Many of us said it at the time, a new locker room isn't going to make Ruff a better coach and all of Pegula's money can' t make Regier a good GM.

They screwed up. It's time for Black and Pegula to admit it and fix their mistake.

They screwed up. It's time for Black and Pegula to admit it and fix their mistake.

That's why the apology from Black is significant. A dude in his position just doesn't apologize like that. Indeed, this is why the nuances of this particular interview are significant - it's about as close to an admission of guilt we're going to get from Black until they make the culture change they need to make.

You said until changes are made. They have been. They signed two of the 3 biggest offseason FAs, hired more asst coaches, etc.

It has amounted to nothing yet. Maybe that disproves your point that change for the sake of change gets your somewhere?

Who is talking about "change for the sake of change?"

We're talking change for the better. Change because what we have is not working. Changes that need to be made in order for this team to finally take strides in the right direction.

This team is going nowhere until the GM and coach are gone. Any other "change" made is a meaningless half measure meant to appease the masses.

That's why the apology from Black is significant. A dude in his position just doesn't apologize like that. Indeed, this is why the nuances of this particular interview are significant - it's about as close to an admission of guilt we're going to get from Black until they make the culture change they need to make.

^This

First of all, Great avatar.

I don't need an apology. Just make the changes and move on.

First of all, Great avatar.

I don't need an apology. Just make the changes and move on.

1. Thanks.

2. Me, too. This tells me that we're not dealing with men-of-action here. Not yet, at least, although I suspect that Black and TPegs might be fast learners here, and THAT may be the difference between them and the prior regime that pleases us most in the long term (fingers crossed at least). In the meantime, I, personally, will take this as a small sliver of hope since that's about all we have right now. It's either this, or a bowl of cold gruel.

Good. As i suspected the tone behind the scenes is much different than the public display. He's starting to let it slip. Better that Pegula faces this adversity now than later.

This response is dead on. You've hit the nail square on the head.

Once Pegula has realized it's time to retool, the sooner we can get down to business in building a contender.

My hats off to you, very good summation on the situation.

so, here's a question then.

you're terry pegula. or ted black. or both. you have a locker room full of players who do not/(obviously) will not play for your coach. you've already verbally committed to keeping the coach, but you see that a lot of these players are just in a funk and *want* to win, but the half dozen "won't" players on the team make it damn near impossible to win.

what do you do?

do you fire the coach and see if the team improves? or do you get rid of the insubordinate players and bring in new players who will hopefully respect the coach?

ball you, mr. pegula/black.

EDIT: maybe it's coincidence, but didn't the losing streak start 11/11/11? cuz that's the date that the caps fired boudreau. not 3 weeks, later, anaheim fired carlyle and brought in boudreau. caps have gained a lot of traction, whereas anaheim ... not so much.

maybe it's more than "~6" in the locker room who want him gone. maybe it's a full team revolt.

so, here's a question then.

you're terry pegula. or ted black. or both. you have a locker room full of players who do not/(obviously) will not play for your coach. you've already verbally committed to keeping the coach, but you see that a lot of these players are just in a funk and *want* to win, but the half dozen "won't" players on the team make it damn near impossible to win.

what do you do?

do you fire the coach and see if the team improves? or do you get rid of the insubordinate players and bring in new players who will hopefully respect the coach?

ball you, mr. pegula/black.

Well its alot easier to change a coach than it is to move players...What this team has been lacking is quite obvious and it has been the same damn answer since they left..They are missing two NHL BONAFIDE CENTERS.. Nothing has changed and we are getting the same damn result..So fire the coach and all you want but until you get two more real centers who can win faceoffs pass and skate with the puck and score goals on a consistent basis we are going to continue to suck...However you want to get them do it..Thru the draft trades free agency whatever..But have a plan stick with it and be prepared for some times like these till we get them..

You should listen the the Roby clip.....he finally lost his sh!t today.....good for him. I was wondering how long he could put on a political face. Said the team has quit on themselves and he can't understand how nobody has snapped on the ice. He himself never says it's over, but from what he sees on the ice it sure looks over.

Black and Pegula will patch up all that goodwill in a few days if they just do what needed to be done last summer, and on December 1st, and on January 1st, and on January 19th. We know Pegula means well.....and everyone will support him. Hell, he was married 2 times. Sometimes the storybook doesn't end the way you envision. You wish Darcy and Lindy the best.....put a nice little diddy together about how Lindy will always be a Sabre and you know he will go on and be successful....Darcy is a good guy...yadda..yadda..........and everyone will put it all behind us and move forward.

You should listen the the Roby clip.....he finally lost his sh!t today.....good for him. I was wondering how long he could put on a political face. Said the team has quit on themselves and he can't understand how nobody has snapped on the ice. He himself never says it's over, but from what he sees on the ice it sure looks over.

Black and Pegula will patch up all that goodwill in a few days if they just do what needed to be done last summer, and on December 1st, and on January 1st, and on January 19th. We know Pegula means well.....and everyone will support him. Hell, he was married 2 times. Sometimes the storybook doesn't end the way you envision. You wish Darcy and Lindy the best.....put a nice little diddy together about how Lindy will always be a Sabre and you know he will go on and be successful....Darcy is a good guy...yadda..yadda..........and everyone will put it all behind us and move forward.

oh heard it live. almost spit my granola bar all over both monitors from laughing--not out of hilarity, but out of shock since robi generally IS that poised and political in his statements. today, not at all. he unzipped his fly and pissed all over the place. and rightfully so. any time a professional athlete rolls over and plays dead to the level that this team has, that team deserves to be called out.

oh heard it live. almost spit my granola bar all over both monitors from laughing--not out of hilarity, but out of shock since robi generally IS that poised and political in his statements. today, not at all. he unzipped his fly and pissed all over the place. and rightfully so. any time a professional athlete rolls over and plays dead to the level that this team has, that team deserves to be called out.

Maybe that's what he needs to do. I think the threat of Roby physically peeing on me would motivate me to try harder. Imagine how awkward it would be as he fumbles with the zipper and then just stands there for 5 minutes trying to get the flow going.

The problem with the Sabres right now is that there is no one on the roster to do this.

EDIT: maybe it's coincidence, but didn't the losing streak start 11/11/11? cuz that's the date that the caps fired boudreau. not 3 weeks, later, anaheim fired carlyle and brought in boudreau. caps have gained a lot of traction, whereas anaheim ... not so much.

Washington has the same exact record this year with Boudreau as they do without. I wouldn't call that traction.

Tom Golisano

very nice.

1. Thanks.

2. Me, too. This tells me that we're not dealing with men-of-action here. Not yet, at least, although I suspect that Black and TPegs might be fast learners here, and THAT may be the difference between them and the prior regime that pleases us most in the long term (fingers crossed at least). In the meantime, I, personally, will take this as a small sliver of hope since that's about all we have right now. It's either this, or a bowl of cold gruel.

Well, it's quite possible that they've thought long and hard about it, and consulted with Sawyer & other veteran hockey guys, and decided that the best move for the franchise long-term is to unload the underperformers on the roster for maximum value at the deadline -- not make a desperation trade for the sake of a shakeup. That wouldn't make them non-men-of-action -- just men who act in a sober and thoughtful fashion.

Washington has the same exact record this year with Boudreau as they do without. I wouldn't call that traction.

And this is why I continue to appreciate this board, even when its main subject is in the dumper -- if you post BS on here, you're going to get called on it. A board full of uncalled BS is not worth spending time on.

Maybe that's what he needs to do. I think the threat of Roby physically peeing on me would motivate me to try harder. Imagine how awkward it would be as he fumbles with the zipper and then just stands there for 5 minutes trying to get the flow going.

But with his high PSA numbers, it would take him 20 minutes to fully empty, even more threatening ;)

Archived