Ted Black on WGR this morning...

LabattBlue

Definitely a different tone than in prior interviews, albeit slight. I think the whole 'injury bug' excuse was their last gasp at an excuse for an under performing team. It sounds like he is now willing to acknowledge that this teams problems lie much deeper than just injuries, and that something must give sooner rather than later...

http://audio.wgr550....m?pageid=401026

1. Ted is pissed

2. I love Ted

he notes that the team boasts 10-15 guys who are on pace for career-worst years (and tosses in a nod to the injuries), and that we're seeing the inevitable results. that's a fair point.

on being asked about the franchise's commitment to the core group: he says he doesn't use that term or view the team's personnel that way; says that teams "flip over" every 3 or 4 years; that they don't have any particular commitments to players, they are committed to winning.

as i started to listen, i thought it was same-old-same-old. but as the interview went on, i could hear the edge and sense how his tone seems different. gone are the days of his cracking "brian [burke] who?"

on whether the team has given up on lindy, he said he wouldn't offer an opinion, but that when you see a team performing the way this team is performing that that is a fair question to ask. ouch (and hooray!).

finally, kudos to howard simon. seriously.

Is DR or LR job in jeopardy?

"I'll stand by my prior responses on that"

I want to apologize to the fans, this is not the team we envisioned.

Is a player move coming?

"Actions speak louder than words"

"The commitment is iron clad"

This year or improve for next year?

Either of those or a hybrid, peel off pieces for future gains.

Core?

"That has yet to be determined, I've never thought of a core group. I don't think we're commited to any group of players, we're committed to win".

Ken is on the trip, as planned, he's got a son in Winnipeg.

Are the players not playing for Lindy?

That's not creeping into my consciousness.

I'm not one to undermine a player or anyone on the air.

At some point will your hand be forced?

(long winded) yes.

He says there are three choices:

Make a trade

Sell off pieces for picks

Peel of pieces for assets

"These are questions for our hockey dept and GM and it's his job to manage"

"Will depend on conversations that DR has in the days and weeks ahead. It's not XBox, it takes another team too."

Will DR and LR always be here?

I can't say that. I won't say that everyone will have their job, including myself.

Until changes are actually made he is no different than Larry Quinn, IMO.

I don't know. Have you listened to the interview? It's an exercise in nuance, and you need to have listened to prior interviews to really get anything out of it, but Black's tone WAS different this time.

And Simon did do a good job of questioning him.

Black apologized to the fans and it was sincere. He was reluctant to throw out the usual pat answers and talking points; his hesitation here indicates that he's not happy to "play along" and that the fans are cognizant when he, or anyone from the team, is "playing along". It was interesting.

What else did he say? Not able to listen.

Just listened ... thanks for the link Blue.

In summary ...

He is pissed and said the situation sucks.

He did toe the party line concerning DR and LR, but when pushed (Simon tied to push him on several points throughout the interview, but Ted is a smart guy and didn't fall for it) Ted did say that no ones job is 100% safe forever (even his).

He did not really blame injuries, but did say it is hard to evaluate players, or to talk trades, when so many players are out of the lineup.

He did say something to the affect that the players are more to blame for the losing then DR, or LR.

Something about not being sure that the core is what we need.

About Miller asking for a trade ... side stepped that one and said that Miller was the expert on what he has asked for or not.

It is up to the GM to manage the club.

He did apologize to the fans for the results.

That about sums it up ... take it for what it is ... more of the same, but with a few twists and his tone did seem very different.

I don't know. Have you listened to the interview? It's an exercise in nuance, and you need to have listened to prior interviews to really get anything out of it, but Black's tone WAS different this time.

Black apologized to the fans and it was sincere. He was reluctant to throw out the usual pat answers and talking points; his hesitation here indicates that he's not happy to "play along" and that the fans are cognizant when he, or anyone from the team, is "playing along". It was interesting.

This is what I heard. A guy of Black's stature is never going to outright say they are pissed/this guy is as good as gone... it would kill their credibility. The way he phrased things and didn't just repeat the same company mantras meant they are not pleased IMO

I listened when it happened. I listened again. It's all just words at this point.

Your dinner; it's either hot or cold.

I think it is closer to..... His dinner, you can either talk about it or put it in front of me.

And only one of those is actual evidence of the exsistance of dinner. Right now, I don't want to hear Ted Black too much either. I want to read an analysis on Spectorshockey of the trade we just made.

Definitely a different tone than in prior interviews, albeit slight. I think the whole 'injury bug' excuse was their last gasp at an excuse for an under performing team. It sounds like he is now willing to acknowledge that this teams problems lie much deeper than just injuries, and that something must give sooner rather than later...

that's a good thing. changes definatly need to be made.

Until changes are actually made he is no different than Larry Quinn, IMO.

That's the TSC spirit.

While I will tend to agree with you even you must admit the tone was somewhat different in this interview. And injuries were not blamed for all the troubles. I think the ground work is starting.

I think it is closer to..... His dinner, you can either talk about it or put it in front of me.

And only one of those is actual evidence of the exsistance of dinner. Right now, I don't want to hear Ted Black too much either. I want to read an analysis on Spectorshockey of the trade we just made.

I think any sane Sabres fan wants what you and deluca want: action.

The problem is that they have waited too long and have absolutely no leverage with any change they would want to make. Want a new coach? It will cost them a lot right now to hire someone on. A new GM? The asking price for any new GM worth their salt is going to be very high for the Sabres right now. Want some trades? Either the Sabres give up the very, very few good assets they have, or prepare to be fleeced.

Unfortunately, whatever happens will need to be on the genius side of clever or shockingly expensive to be satisfying, or else it will be under-whelming.

I think there's more chaos happening within the organization than any of us have guessed. I think each player in this drama (not the actual players on the roster) has etched out a stance and has been sticking with it, including TPegs. But now that outward appearances are clearly spinning out of control, the inner struggles are on fire.

Anyway, this is a long-winded way of saying I think we'll finally get some change, but it's not as easy as pushing a few buttons - which is what Black said.

What have those "changes" amounted to?

You said until changes are made. They have been. They signed two of the 3 biggest offseason FAs, hired more asst coaches, etc.

It has amounted to nothing yet. Maybe that disproves your point that change for the sake of change gets your somewhere?

Archived