Ted Black on WGR this morning...

LabattBlue

One thing I think that they have led to is a better pool of management talent interested in coming here. But I agree, right now its all words.

Maybe someone like Jim Nill of the Red Wings. Pegula and crew were all in Detroit and Black did say the last time he spoke to Pegula was after the Red Wings game. Holding on to hope that they were all there for a job interview is as good as any hope to hold on to.

All right. Everyone is pissed, frustrated, etc. etc. etc. from TP down to us fans.

This is what they will do IMO:

- Make no moves now unless a good offer comes along

- Wait until the deadline and sell, sell, sell

- Wait until the offseason to search out the best GM and coach available, then fire DR & LR

- Look to pick up free agents in the summer at a reasonable cost - no more breaking the bank

- Look forward to selecting a top 5 pick in the draft, which is supposed to be very deep

That is my prediction and if I was TP, it would be my course of action. No panic, just a plain methodical plan to unravel this mess.

Maybe someone like Jim Nill of the Red Wings. Pegula and crew were all in Detroit and Black did say the last time he spoke to Pegula was after the Red Wings game. Holding on to hope that they were all there for a job interview is as good as any hope to hold on to.

I doubt there was an interview held as Nill is under contract, and Detroit would have to give the Sabres permission to talk with him. No sense in granting permission at this time, as I doubt Detroit would release him from his contract in mid-season.

All right. Everyone is pissed, frustrated, etc. etc. etc. from TP down to us fans.

This is what they will do IMO:

- Make no moves now unless a good offer comes along

- Wait until the deadline and sell, sell, sell

- Wait until the offseason to search out the best GM and coach available, then fire DR & LR

- Look to pick up free agents in the summer at a reasonable cost - no more breaking the bank

- Look forward to selecting a top 5 pick in the draft, which is supposed to be very deep

That is my prediction and if I was TP, it would be my course of action. No panic, just a plain methodical plan to unravel this mess.

It sounds good, except Darcy and Lindy aren't going anywhere, Ted already backed that statement up this morning in his interview.

It sounds good, except Darcy and Lindy aren't going anywhere, Ted already backed that statement up this morning in his interview.

Do you really think a president if a professional sports team is going to openly admit he's going to fire his coach and GM on the air live before he even does it....? Seriously ..

Well, it's quite possible that they've thought long and hard about it, and consulted with Sawyer & other veteran hockey guys, and decided that the best move for the franchise long-term is to unload the underperformers on the roster for maximum value at the deadline -- not make a desperation trade for the sake of a shakeup. That wouldn't make them non-men-of-action -- just men who act in a sober and thoughtful fashion.

I would consider people who are unwilling to take sober and thoughtful actions when doing so would have been prudent and effective, and who, rather, have been prompted to act, when it is least effective, by the din of critics, non-people-of-action.

And who said anything about a "desperate...shake up"? I, personally, prefer a long term fix, especially since it took so long for them to possibly consider acting.

Remember, these sober and thoughtful people have yet to take ANY action.

To be fair, 12-10-1 is not too much different than 13-8-1 as far as points. They've moved mostly because of taking the division lead.

Yes but they openly showed there unwillingness to play for the coach much like this team if the caps did not fire Him I'm sure they would be in the same boat as us

Bruce Boudreau was fired as coach of the Washington Capitals on Monday, two days after his team was humbled, 5-1, in Buffalo by an injury-depleted Sabres team that was without nine regulars.

The reason for the change was we weren’t winning, obviously, and this wasn’t a slump,” General Manager George McPhee said. “You can ride out slumps. This was simply a case of the players were no longer responding to Bruce.

“Bruce did a terrific job here,” McPhee added, “but when the players aren’t responding you have to make a change.”

I don't know what else to add to this. I mean, it pretty much says it all.

Why can't our GM have balls ...?

To be fair, 12-10-1 is not too much different than 13-8-1 as far as points. They've moved mostly because of taking the division lead.

How is 6-12-5 in that same span? Hint....it rhymes with Windy........

And actually, it is 54.34% of points available versus 61.36% of points available.....or.....a 13% improvement.

If the Sabres were at that pace, they'd have 56 points and be in 6th place.

Bruce Boudreau was fired as coach of the Washington Capitals on Monday, two days after his team was humbled, 5-1, in Buffalo by an injury-depleted Sabres team that was without nine regulars.

The reason for the change was we weren’t winning, obviously, and this wasn’t a slump,” General Manager George McPhee said. “You can ride out slumps. This was simply a case of the players were no longer responding to Bruce.

“Bruce did a terrific job here,” McPhee added, “but when the players aren’t responding you have to make a change.”

McPhee is a grumpy Darcy. I'm not a big fan...but he probably saved his own backend.

I also love how the Sabres best game of the year was when we had all the kids up....yet the appologists would cry..."How do you expect to win with 9 players out?"

And actually, it is 54.34% of points available versus 61.36% of points available.....or.....a 13% improvement.

McPhee is a grumpy Darcy. I'm not a big fan...but he probably saved his own backend.

I also love how the Sabres best game of the year was when we had all the kids up....yet the appologists would cry..."How do you expect to win with 9 players out?"

I miss Kassian ...

Also, and I only ask because I'm curious: would you be a bigger DR fan if he were a better GM?

was it the best game of the year? at this point, yeah, but it's comparable to Pominville's statement about how the Sabres were better after they were down 5-0...the other team wasn't trying. When we played Detroit, and when we played Chicago, I had flashbacks to the Washington game, except it was a full role reversal.

IMO that game is barely a testament to the younger players being up.

I miss Kassian ...

Chewey looked like Luce/Hawerchuck......I keep going back to that quote where he didn't have 1 practice with the Sabres all year and looked so good his first 3 games still having not practiced. Ruff said maybe nobody should practice then because his practices suck. Chewey practiced, became a cog in the system, and went bye-bye within the next 2 weeks.

was it the best game of the year? at this point, yeah, but it's comparable to Pominville's statement about how the Sabres were better after they were down 5-0...the other team wasn't trying. When we played Detroit, and when we played Chicago, I had flashbacks to the Washington game, except it was a full role reversal.

Here's one thing....

People that have wanted Ruff gone have been consistant over the years with their reasons.

Ruff appologists keep coming up with different excuses. If i had 2 free hours, I would go find all the quotes about "How's Hunter working out? yuk yuk"....and like I said, injuries as an excuse with 9 guys out...Pegula used it.....and it was their best game of the year because the kids were playing off instinct and heart. McNabb will turn into jello if he is left with Ruff for a few years. Look at what has happened to Weber. I believe in Weber and I know that kid is tough and a leader. He will be fine in a new place or with a guy like Boughner in here as coach.

I would consider people who are unwilling to take sober and thoughtful actions when doing so would have been prudent and effective, and who, rather, have been prompted to act, when it is least effective, by the din of critics, non-people-of-action.

And who said anything about a "desperate...shake up"? I, personally, prefer a long term fix, especially since it took so long for them to possibly consider acting.

Remember, these sober and thoughtful people have yet to take ANY action.

I don't disagree with any of this, but how do we know the bolded part is what's happening?

Well, let's remember that DR has had a much better record as GM than McPhee has had, especially in the playoffs.

DTM has it. That wasn't the Sabres' best game of the year. It was the Caps delivery of the biggest quitting job of the season by any team -- and as bad as the Sabres have looked recently, IMHO they've not come close to going through the motions the way the Caps did that night.

Look at what has happened to Weber. I believe in Weber and I know that kid is tough and a leader. He will be fine in a new place or with a guy like Boughner in here as coach.

I like Weber too, but almost all young defensemen go through bad patches. Not just Lindy's. Luke Schenn in Toronto is still getting healthy-scratched in his 4th full NHL year, and he was the 5th pick in the draft. Drew Doughty has been pretty up-and-down this year too.

And this is why I continue to appreciate this board, even when its main subject is in the dumper -- if you post BS on here, you're going to get called on it. A board full of uncalled BS is not worth spending time on.

Technically, what I posted may now be considered BS. I didn't realize that Washington played and won last night. They are now exactly one game better with Hunter than they were with Boudreau.

I doubt there was an interview held as Nill is under contract, and Detroit would have to give the Sabres permission to talk with him. No sense in granting permission at this time, as I doubt Detroit would release him from his contract in mid-season.

I think Detroit would give teams a chance to talk to Jim Nill. I don't think they would prevent him from seeking a GM position if that is what he was looking for. I'm sure they would ask for compensation if Nill took the Sabres job.

Technically, what I posted may now be considered BS. I didn't realize that Washington played and won last night. They are now exactly one game better with Hunter than they were with Boudreau.

True, but the rigorous peer review process in place no doubt incentivized you to get your facts right and post the correction.

If only those ceaselessly propounding Roy-for-Getzlaf "ideas" would do the same...

I think Detroit would give teams a chance to talk to Jim Nill. I don't think they would prevent him from seeking a GM position if that is what he was looking for. I'm sure they would ask for compensation if Nill took the Sabres job.

I agree with this.

I have only read the comments in this thread as to what TB said on the radio, I have yet to listen.

But this is all talk right now.

I'm not saying that I DON'T believe him, but it's hard because the last regime was silent until the end of the year.

I want actions (as I'm sure a lot of other people here and elsewhere do), I want to see things in real life and not just radio comments.

I do want to believe this and I'm behind TB and TP, but right now, its not a full 100%, what you do in the face of adversity truly shows what kind of person and organization you are and run.

I hope by the end of Jan. something happens.

Archived