Ted Black on WGR this morning...

LabattBlue

I get so angry at watching this team ... but then I think about a ridiculously rich, successful businessman who paid (actually ... overpaid ... arguably dramatically overpaid) roughly $180mm for a single purpose: to build a Stanley Cup winning organization. I suppose he could've been BSing everyone, and really wanted to buy a small-market NHL team for a big financial score, but I don't think so - I'll take his French Connection tears at face value. I believe he is dying for a Stanley Cup winning club.

This current turd fest is frustrating, but it's been less than a year these guys have been in charge, and the team has had a ridiculous run of injuries. I have confidence these guys are going to use every sensible angle, financial and otherwise, to make it happen. I wanted the Stanley Cup run to be this year, and I'm pretty sure he did too, but that fact that it's likely not doesn't mean we're doomed for the next 10 years.

So, all in all, as much as this rut completely sucks, I really think we need to take the long view and root that the only thing that doesn't happen is Pegulapalooza doing a bad deal, or a series of bad deals, primarily for the sake of simply "shaking up" the short term.

Unpopular as it is, I want to give some space to the guy who shelled out a lot of cashish for the purpose of accomplishing what we all want too.

Is DR or LR job in jeopardy?

"I'll stand by my prior responses on that"

I want to apologize to the fans, this is not the team we envisioned.

Is a player move coming?

"Actions speak louder than words"

"The commitment is iron clad"

This year or improve for next year?

Either of those or a hybrid, peel off pieces for future gains.

Core?

"That has yet to be determined, I've never thought of a core group. I don't think we're commited to any group of players, we're committed to win".

Ken is on the trip, as planned, he's got a son in Winnipeg.

Are the players not playing for Lindy?

That's not creeping into my consciousness.

I'm not one to undermine a player or anyone on the air.

At some point will your hand be forced?

(long winded) yes.

He says there are three choices:

Make a trade

Sell off pieces for picks

Peel of pieces for assets

"These are questions for our hockey dept and GM and it's his job to manage"

"Will depend on conversations that DR has in the days and weeks ahead. It's not XBox, it takes another team too."

Will DR and LR always be here?

I can't say that. I won't say that everyone will have their job, including myself.

good summary, teds apology was very genuine. and i loved how pissed he sounded at the end..."this sucks"

glad we didn't hear any "he ain't going nowhere."

the vibe definitely sounded as though they are ready to start tweaking and when asked about the players tuning out lindy and putting forth no effort, it was nice to hear "that is a fair question to ask" something about the way he said it made it sound as though they really think lindy is not able to focus these players any longer.

All right. Everyone is pissed, frustrated, etc. etc. etc. from TP down to us fans.

This is what they will do IMO:

- Make no moves now unless a good offer comes along

- Wait until the deadline and sell, sell, sell

- Wait until the offseason to search out the best GM and coach available, then fire DR & LR

- Look to pick up free agents in the summer at a reasonable cost - no more breaking the bank

- Look forward to selecting a top 5 pick in the draft, which is supposed to be very deep

That is my prediction and if I was TP, it would be my course of action. No panic, just a plain methodical plan to unravel this mess.

i would be happy with this.

although i may overpay for a guy like parise or weber.....just saying.

go sabres

I'm 3:42 in and so far he's saying alot of nothing. Pure bunk. No change in their feeling on Darcy and Lindy, and 7:11 in, so far nothing about a player move either. 8:22 he says that he feels this is where "an owner like Terry can shine, and (he thinks) he will". OK, um...HOW!!! Nothing solid even after that. Can't even answer whether he thinks the team quit on Lindy. This is a waste of time. Hell, when asked to confirm whether Miller has NOT asked for a trade, he can't even answer in the affirmative to agree with what Ryan has said. 10:45 Unreal that you people are getting any hope from this interview whatsoever. 12:45 PUNT. This is laughable. 13:30 he ALMOST said they want to make trades. 15:30 the caller blames injuries and Ted 100% agrees. 18:41 "It's only been ten and a half months."

Awesome. Thanks for sharing this gem with me.

There's 20 minutes I will never get back.

I'm 3:42 in and so far he's saying alot of nothing. Pure bunk. No change in their feeling on Darcy and Lindy, and 7:11 in, so far nothing about a player move either. 8:22 he says that he feels this is where "an owner like Terry can shine, and (he thinks) he will". OK, um...HOW!!! Nothing solid even after that. Can't even answer whether he thinks the team quit on Lindy. This is a waste of time. Hell, when asked to confirm whether Miller has NOT asked for a trade, he can't even answer in the affirmative to agree with what Ryan has said. 10:45 Unreal that you people are getting any hope from this interview whatsoever. 12:45 PUNT. This is laughable. 13:30 he ALMOST said they want to make trades. 15:30 the caller blames injuries and Ted 100% agrees. 18:41 "It's only been ten and a half months."

If your goal is to become a poor mans DeLuca, you're failing miserably. Give it a rest.

You're on a crusade.

You're right. I need to let it go.

I don't agree with most of this post -- neither substance nor tone -- but I did think his statements about the Miller trade request were a bit Clintonian.

:thumbdown:

if you read the interview as a cold transcript, it'd have been a little disappointing (although not terribly so). but listening to it, i don't know how you can fail to hear that the team president is righteously pissed and, by extension, that he and his boss are hell bent on making changes.

If your goal is to become a poor mans DeLuca, you're failing miserably. Give it a rest.

Give yourself a rest, sport. How rude.

That was the lamest interview I've heard in a while. Coulda lasted five minutes and I STILL woulda wondered why they bothered.

:thumbdown:

if you read the interview as a cold transcript, it'd have been a little disappointing (although not terribly so). but listening to it, i don't know how you can fail to hear that the team president is righteously pissed and, by extension, that he and his boss are hell bent on making changes.

Show me one thing from this transcript that says they are definitely doing a damned thing.

You're right. I need to let it go.

I don't agree with most of this post -- neither substance nor tone -- but I did think his statements about the Miller trade request were a bit Clintonian.

Neither substance or tone? It was basically a play-by-play of twenty minutes of crap. If you have problems with the content, then you are getting it. The thing was fluff thru and thru.

You guys all decide to hate on the Chimp today? Seriously misplaced aggression, girls.

Neither substance or tone? It was basically a play-by-play of twenty minutes of crap. If you have problems with the content, then you are getting it. The thing was fluff thru and thru.

You guys all decide to hate on the Chimp today? Seriously misplaced aggression, girls.

I was referring to the substance and tone of your post, not of the interview.

I'm aware of your opinion about the interview, as you've said it several times already in the same thread. I and just about everyone else in this thread disagree with it. That doesn't mean that you're wrong, of course, but your repeating it multiple times doesn't make it right, either.

Your last sentence just reinforces my point about your tone. You've been around here long enough to know better.

I was referring to the substance and tone of your post, not of the interview.

I'm aware of your opinion about the interview, as you've said it several times already in the same thread. I and just about everyone else in this thread disagree with it. That doesn't mean that you're wrong, of course, but your repeating it multiple times doesn't make it right, either.

Your last sentence just reinforces my point about your tone. You've been around here long enough to know better.

I understand that your comment was about my narrative and not Ted Black;s statements. That is why I reacted so strongly. Because, frankly, I wasn't posting anything more than a running narrative of what I heard the guy saying. If my play-by-play lacked substance, it was because the things that Ted was telling Howard lacked substance. And I only commented on it one time, so seriously, cut it out. Jesus. You guys are really in a bad mood today. I failed to hear this controlled rage that the OP intoned was displayed in Ted Black's interview, that's all. I felt like it was just like any other noncommittal interview we've been hearing from Darcy Regier for years. That was my opinion. I gave my opinion. Once. And I come on today to see everybody booing me and telling me I'm some poor man's DeLUca or some other crap. Craziness.

Don't worry Chimp......There's an old saying you need to tell Ted......Don't come to Papa Monkey with plastic bananas.

Ted was banking on a turnaround as he has been digging in the past 6 weeks and started to sound very smarmy towards people that had major concerns that the season was about to implode. He played the math+time game assuming the team would at least get a little traction going to buy them until the end of the year before any changes needed to be made. Now it is obvious he and Pegula ignored the warning sirens and it is too late to save this season.

I thought he sounded more urgent 3 weeks ago on Tux+Pux night when the season was supposedly "at a crossroads". Well....here we are 3 weeks to the day and nothing at all has changed other than the Sabres could be 1 point out of dead last by the end of the night.

Ted gambled by getting smarmy....he gambled by putting Pegula out in public.....and it has backfired Big-Time! Now those two are stuck.

There are minute rumblings that Ruff could step down on his own. I could see Darcy salivating over that as he has shown to be a patient weasel of a survivor. It saves him from firing Ruff and it lets Pegula save face. For as much as I can rip into Ruff's coaching philosophy, I respect him as a man. He didn't sign that Golden Parachute last year as the team was ready to be sold.....Darcy did. I think Ruff is honorable enough and smart enough to know what the best play is right now. The All-Star break can provide cover for him, and may be the best way to get a great job in the process as everyone is together and the entire league would be able to use that week to bid up his services. Ruff can walk out looking honorable, smart, and rich.

I'm going to head back into my Negativity Bubble now.

Don't worry Chimp......There's an old saying you need to tell Ted......Don't come to Papa Monkey with plastic bananas.

Ted was banking on a turnaround as he has been digging in the past 6 weeks and started to sound very smarmy towards people that had major concerns that the season was about to implode. He played the math+time game assuming the team would at least get a little traction going to buy them until the end of the year before any changes needed to be made. Now it is obvious he and Pegula ignored the warning sirens and it is too late to save this season.

I thought he sounded more urgent 3 weeks ago on Tux+Pux night when the season was supposedly "at a crossroads". Well....here we are 3 weeks to the day and nothing at all has changed other than the Sabres could be 1 point out of dead last by the end of the night.

Ted gambled by getting smarmy....he gambled by putting Pegula out in public.....and it has backfired Big-Time! Now those two are stuck.

There are minute rumblings that Ruff could step down on his own. I could see Darcy salivating over that as he has shown to be a patient weasel of a survivor. It saves him from firing Ruff and it lets Pegula save face. For as much as I can rip into Ruff's coaching philosophy, I respect him as a man. He didn't sign that Golden Parachute last year as the team was ready to be sold.....Darcy did. I think Ruff is honorable enough and smart enough to know what the best play is right now. The All-Star break can provide cover for him, and may be the best way to get a great job in the process as everyone is together and the entire league would be able to use that week to bid up his services. Ruff can walk out looking honorable, smart, and rich.

I find your take on things spot-on with my gut feelings and that pleases me. Ruff, IMO, hates Darcy Regier by now. Also, in my opinion, Ruff will have success in either this league (somewhat doubtful because of the egos and $$$ he's up against) or the American Hockey League (much more his style, as the players need less coddling and are self-motivated and that works well with a guy like Lindy...again, my opinion). But Darcy, I can almost guarantee, once he's let go from the Sabres, will never again be allowed to GM another professional sports franchise as long as he lives.

And if Ruff steps down now, I could only respect him more, and will laugh at the sheer embarrassment and egg-wash it would leave on his risk-averting superiors.

Good post, pretty much sums up how I feel about it as well.. and although I haven't heard of these "minute rumblings," the thought has crossed my mind more than once that eventually Ruff might to realize it isn't working and step down on his doing.

Also, I'm late to the thread, and don't mean to sound like a poor man's poor man's deluca, but I am actually with TheChimp on this one. I didn't think the interview with Ted this week showed anymore signs of frustration/anger or urgency than in previous weeks. GoDD is right, the one where he said they were "at a crossroads" was the one that made me think they'd had enough and might be making some changes. This week was just more of the same old...

I find your take on things spot-on with my gut feelings and that pleases me. Ruff, IMO, hates Darcy Regier by now. Also, in my opinion, Ruff will have success in either this league (somewhat doubtful because of the egos and $$$ he's up against) or the American Hockey League (much more his style, as the players need less coddling and are self-motivated and that works well with a guy like Lindy...again, my opinion). But Darcy, I can almost guarantee, once he's let go from the Sabres, will never again be allowed to GM another professional sports franchise as long as he lives.

And if Ruff steps down now, I could only respect him more, and will laugh at the sheer embarrassment and egg-wash it would leave on his risk-averting superiors.

They won't have egg on their face. It will be the prudent move given the circumstances. I don't know what Ruff thinks of Darcy, but if he really looks at him as a friend, he could step down to "save" him. If Ruff really loves the city of Buffalo, stepping down gets Pegula out of the jam he created for himself by fawning over Ruff from day 1.

Ruff needs to recharge a bit in my opinion. I think when he is fresh and hungry, he is a top 5-10 coach in the league. He needs a more dynamic GM to help his cause though. For all of his flaws, if Ruff believes in the guys he has and they believe in him, he is a fun and stubborned SOB to be around. I will have many fond memories of him over the years. He is a Sabre through and through. I respect him. He has had to deal with a lot of heavy personal things in his life over the years that are not easy. Maybe a little TO to appreciate what he is blessed with can recharge him like he was recharged coaching at the Olympics. Those Olympics were the happiest I've seen Ruff in a good decade.

Hockey is about chemistry and synergy. It can work for or against you. Sadly for the Sabres the synergy of the front office, coach, and players has taken us to a wilted halt. On their own they each have some strengths. They all need to be broken up to rediscover their strengths, as well do we as fans NEED them to be broken up in order to rediscover OUR strengths. It is not fun to live in a Negativity Bubble, as Mr. Black puts it, when it comes to one of the biggest passions in your life. It's time to part ways...shake hands....make a toast......so the Lindy Ruffs, and the Derek Roys, and the Ryan Millers, and the Chimps and Ghosts can find their strengths again.

It is time. It HAS BEEN time.

Negativity bubble my ass.

If Lindy starts coaching another team I'm jumping ship. Yeah I said it.

With the right players he wins. Leino and Ehrhoff will be part of that. With TPegs it won't take 15 years to get the prize.

Sans DR.

There's no way in hell he didn't have a say in who his players were this year. He's been the coach since 1997. He has as much say in roster moves as Regier.

If he has a roster that he absolutely, positively cannot coach, he has himself to blame.

... There are minute rumblings that Ruff could step down on his own. I could see Darcy salivating over that as he has shown to be a patient weasel of a survivor. It saves him from firing Ruff and it lets Pegula save face. For as much as I can rip into Ruff's coaching philosophy, I respect him as a man. He didn't sign that Golden Parachute last year as the team was ready to be sold.....Darcy did. I think Ruff is honorable enough and smart enough to know what the best play is right now. The All-Star break can provide cover for him, and may be the best way to get a great job in the process as everyone is together and the entire league would be able to use that week to bid up his services. Ruff can walk out looking honorable, smart, and rich. ...

Well said. I hope Lindy does as you suggest and simply walks away. This is killing him inside. Take a year off, recharge your batteries, and take your pick of the jobs available when you come back. He'll be making a living at hockey long after these wimps he has for players hang up their skates.

GO SABRES!!!

Negativity bubble my ass.

If Lindy starts coaching another team I'm jumping ship. Yeah I said it.

With the right players he wins. Leino and Ehrhoff will be part of that. With TPegs it won't take 15 years to get the prize.

Sans DR.

WOW!

If I were ordained, I would rub the ashes on your forehead with my thumb and send you on your way in contemplation.

I won't quote your reckoning, GoDD, it's all above if people want to read it. I've heard Hamilton's various musings over the matter, and his observation this morning that Lindy didn't retire to an office or some other room after the interviews the other day, but instead walked down the hall and simply leaned against a wall.

I had forgotten about his refusal to sign a new contract prior to TPegs buying the team, while Darcy did. Your characterization of all of that is is very apt. I agree that Lindy is an honorable man, and that Darcy is, ultimately, a weasel. I also agree that it's likely Lindy will walk away long before Darcy would ever consider it, and not because Lindy is a quitter, but because he is honorable.

Your scenario is, I'm afraid, very likely. What bothers me about it is that Lindy should be a victim in all of this, and Darcy should be the target, not the other way around. Smart people will see that's the case, but I think the subtleties of the whole thing would be lost on a lot of people. Darcy should be the one who is fired outright. Lindy, well, I agree Lindy needs his batteries recharged. No one can go through a dark valley like this and come out feeling fresh.

There's no way in hell he didn't have a say in who his players were this year. He's been the coach since 1997. He has as much say in roster moves as Regier.

If he has a roster that he absolutely, positively cannot coach, he has himself to blame.

I have to agree. But I do believe Lindy has been and can be a good coach again. Just not with these players. They've been together for too long. He's had this core plus a handful of the others long enough to watch them grow up. His message is stale and he's run out of answers for what ails them. Time to move on. Same goes for Regier. How many more kicks at the can does this guy get?

Archived