Arniel fired in Columbus.....bring him back, Lindy!

BuffalOhio

I am not a big Lindy basher, probably to a fault, but there is no denying the fact that the Sabre power play has sucked forever. If Arniel was the man behind the brief exception, get him here now. How they haven't figured out a way to capitalize on Erhoff's ability to score from the point after spending all that money on him is a glaring problem.

I am not a big Lindy basher, probably to a fault, but there is no denying the fact that the Sabre power play has sucked forever. If Arniel was the man behind the brief exception, get him here now. How they haven't figured out a way to capitalize on Erhoff's ability to score from the point after spending all that money on him is a glaring problem.

I haven't really given it any thought, but the part I bolded is a pretty big deal.

We can't go back we need to go forward. Forward. No Nolan no Arniel, forward. We need new ppl with new ideas. Drury and Briere are gone and they aren't coming back. Its time to move on. Those tow were a big reason the PP worked along with Campbell. Forward we go.

of the many problems this team has had this year, i don't see the power play as being in the top 3, or even 5.

fwiw, we're in a statistical dead heat with 3 teams for a top-10 ranking.

Power-Play Percentage Leaders

RK TEAM GP PPG PPO PCT SHGA PPGA TSH PCT SHG 1 Vancouver 42 41 168 24.4 2 22 168 86.9 3 2 Nashville 41 31 141 22.0 2 26 143 81.8 3 3 Toronto 41 32 148 21.6 2 41 155 73.5 4 4 Edmonton 41 35 164 21.3 4 27 167 83.8 4 5 NY Islanders 39 25 126 19.8 3 21 124 83.1 1 6 Detroit 41 30 152 19.7 5 28 149 81.2 1 7 Washington 39 26 132 19.7 4 24 137 82.5 1 8 Philadelphia 40 35 181 19.3 3 30 171 82.5 3 9 Pittsburgh 40 31 163 19.0 4 18 140 87.1 4 10 Winnipeg 41 25 133 18.8 2 30 172 82.6 3 RK TEAM GP PPG PPO PCT SHGA PPGA TSH PCT SHG 11 Florida 41 30 160 18.8 4 24 126 81.0 4 12 Buffalo 41 28 150 18.7 5 26 150 82.7 2 13 Boston 38 26 140 18.6 0 21 149 85.9

Buffalo is currently 12th in PP% with 18.7% (tied with Boston)

Columbus is 23rd at 14.6%

good stat

I agree with LGR, move forward. We don't need Nolan, we need a guy with Nolan's heart and soul who has tons more upside and command of the game. (Boogie Man) We don't need a guy who already worked for Lindy coming back. We need a guy who can support the new coach, and can turn guys who have physical prowess (Stafford, Vanek, Gaustad, Lieno), into assets in front of the net moreso than the tic-tac-toe game they all love to play (Foligno?). And it would be nice to have a smart defenseman at assistant who not only knows how to move a puck, but also was able and willing to protect his turf at all costs. (Ramsey?) With those types of guys you can move forward while still honoring the past.

Is Ramsey actually doing anything right now? I haven't seen the name since he finished up with the Wild.

But then again, if you want to count out Arniel because he worked with Lindy before, wouldn't you have to do the same with Ramsey?

At this point, the only coaching change I would approve of in-season, would be to give Patrick the interim tag, fire Darcy when the season is over, and let the new GM lead the search for a new coach in May.

Is Ramsey actually doing anything right now? I haven't seen the name since he finished up with the Wild.

But then again, if you want to count out Arniel because he worked with Lindy before, wouldn't you have to do the same with Ramsey?

I only want him in here if Lindy is gone. In all honesty, any new coach is going to want his own guys here so a fantasy combo won't work.

The last guy I want as interm coach is Patrick. Patrick is more of a systemic robot than Lindy. Adams seems to be the only guy with any mojo.

Ken Sawyer is the key right now. He fired Patrick to bring in Sheiro and they had the guts to change to Bylsma. I would have to assume if Sawyer is anything more than a Pegula cronie soaking up a paycheck, that he is in his ear right now. I can only pray he has spent the past few weeks on the downlow, contacting a few GM candidates and getting their views on who they would bring in at coach and what type of team they envision. Maybe, just maybe they are working on something and are being polite with the media for Lindy and Darcy's sake......but something needed to be done weeks ago. If Pegula is insistant on keeping the band together, the guy is going to take tons of flack.....and I don't want to see him get lambasted and take it personal.

We can't go back we need to go forward. Forward. No Nolan no Arniel, forward. We need new ppl with new ideas. Drury and Briere are gone and they aren't coming back. Its time to move on. Those tow were a big reason the PP worked along with Campbell. Forward we go.

LGR,

This is one of your best posts ever in my humble opinion. Short, to the point, well worded ...

Your knowledge and understanding of the game is well demonstrated in a post like this. You (and some others on this board ... who I have also made aware of my feelings) are wise beyond your years.

Were you (I should say WE (myself included), as I believe it is human nature to do this) get into trouble (and please don't take this the wrong way) is when we let emotion take over. This is true on this board, as it is just make-believe, but in life in general emotion is not a bad thing.

So, my advise to you (take it for what it's worth ... probably not alot) is to keep this kind of post coming and try to stay away from emotional threads, such as trade proposal threads. Others (myself included) on this board would be well seved if they took this advise as well, IMHO.

Buffalo is currently 12th in PP% with 18.7% (tied with Boston)

Columbus is 23rd at 14.6%

Nice stat. Either some stats are very misleading or the NHL has a lot of weak Powerplay units this year, because unfortunatly when I was watching the Sabres this year before we lost MSG I was never blown away with the poweplay. I thought it was disappointing with a guy like Ehrhoff on the team to be honest.

Agreed, living in the past is the worst thing we could do.

Interesting line in Bucky's column today:

* Scott Arniel lasting until the midpoint this season was an accomplishment. His reputation for alienating players goes back to last season. He had a 45-60-18 record in 123 games but won just eight times in regulation over his final 63 games. GM Scott Howson could be next on the chopping block with Craig Patrick ready to take over.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/inside-the-nhl/article710487.ece

At this point, the only coaching change I would approve of in-season, would be to give Patrick the interim tag, fire Darcy when the season is over, and let the new GM lead the search for a new coach in May.

Fire Darcy and let the new GM decide what to do with Lindy.

Archived