What would you do if you were in charge?

nfreeman

154 members have voted

1. 1. You get to decide what the Sabres should do within the next 2 weeks to right the ship. What's the FIRST step you take, sometime in the next 2 weeks? (NB you can take other steps later.)

• Do nothing yet -- wait and see how the team does when they get healthy.
    • Fire Lindy
    • Fire Darcy
    • Fire both Lindy and Darcy
    • Trade Roy
    • Trade Stafford
    • Trade Pommer
    • Trade Miller
    • Trade a forward not named above or a defenseman
    • Trade more than 1 player
    • Healthy-scratch 1 or more regulars for several games

McCormick is not an NHL-level talent. He's Ellis Jr. Effort is awesome, but it's not everything. If Darcy Regier traded anything more than a seventh-round pick for this guy, the board (incl. me) would be using it as another reason to call for his head.

McCormick is not an NHL-level talent. He's Ellis Jr. Effort is awesome, but it's not everything. If Darcy Regier traded anything more than a seventh-round pick for this guy, the board (incl. me) would be using it as another reason to call for his head.

He is most definitely NHL level for the role he plays. I don't see how that is deniable. I'm not sure you can make the same statement about Ellis.

And I agree with the more than a seventh-round pick statement, but that has more to do with the value of his role than it does about whether he is NHL level talent for that role.

I would put air fresheners in all the players lockers and then remove the rule about not walking on the logo. That's the reason we look so tired....its cause of all that extra walking during intermission to go around the logo!!!! Problem solved, and the cup comes to buffalo.

Ohhhh u want a serious answer, damn eggnog. Well id move Stafford asap for anything decent. I sit anyone who looks slacking for at least two games and re-evaluate while giving our young guns a chance, and at seasons end I give a new gm/coach a full off season to make appropriate changes.

Fire the GM and anyone of his "crew".

Let the new GM decide what to do about the coach but at this point a change could be warranted.

Trade one of the core and take the A off of stafford and put it on regehr.

Get a center for Vanek.

Make the coach skate his team harder... Herb Brooks style. "The legs feed the wolf gentlemen"

Fire the GM and anyone of his "crew".

Let the new GM decide what to do about the coach but at this point a change could be warranted.

Trade one of the core and take the A off of stafford and put it on regehr.

Get a center for Vanek.

Make the coach skate his team harder... Herb Brooks style. "The legs feed the wolf gentlemen"

The 'A' on Stafford was another poor decision by the Sabres. It was a sad attempt at trying to justify Stafford's ridiculous contract.

1. You'd KEEP Regier?

2. Ignoring the fact that Ehrhoffs contract makes him completely untradable you think his the problem? Not Stafford, or even having 9 regulars always out of the lineup?

3. Ruff's career should have been over just after we lost Briere and Drury yet kept battling or just after we won the presidents trophy?

4. Roy being the locker room cancer I don't know about because I'm not in the locker room, but from what I can tell I don't think there is a 'cancer', I think no-one believes in themselves so their not shooting for the corners, there just batting pucks at the net. From what I can see and what I've heard we get the opportunities its just that we don't convert, maybe the team needs to focus on that.

Those were just the first 4 things I would do, bub. Don't get your panties all wadded up.

Without having read everyone's opinions, my choice would be to trade a defenseman. Why?

We are overloaded on D. Moving MAGS or Weber would be a quiet move that would put the higher profile players on notice that management is not happy and that players can and will be dealt.

Specifically, it serves notice to players like Roy, Stafford, and Gaustad. "Get your act together or you will be next"

The D spot would be taken by McNabb.

When the injured return, bench McCormick, Ellis, and send Kassian down. Ennis needs time to develop into the player everyone thinks he can be. ditto Gerbe. I wouldn't consider trading Leino until next season, unless the offer was a very good one.

If the team does not respond, start offering Stafford & Roy as trade bait around the league and see who bites.

If none of this works, fire Darcy...let the new GM deal with Lindy.

We are overloaded on D. Moving MAGS or Weber would be a quiet move that would put the higher profile players on notice that management is not happy and that players can and will be dealt.

Specifically, it serves notice to players like Roy, Stafford, and Gaustad. "Get your act together or you will be next"

So you are going to trade MAG, and let McNabb take his place as the 7th defenseman? A 20 year old sitting in the press box unless there are injuries? Makes sense to me. :doh:

Without having read everyone's opinions, my choice would be to trade a defenseman. Why?

When the injured return, bench McCormick, Ellis, and send Kassian down. Ennis needs time to develop into the player everyone thinks he can be. ditto Gerbe. I wouldn't consider trading Leino until next season, unless the offer was a very good one.

If the team does not respond, start offering Stafford & Roy as trade bait around the league and see who bites.

I don't think there's any chance you could "send a message" to Derek Roy and he'd respond to it. He is who he is. The only way he'd ever change is if he actually WAS traded and his whole life changed. If he's ever going to reach the next level, it won't be as a Buffalo Sabre.

As for Gaustad, I don't think any message is going to change him either. He saw Lucic run Miller (his best friend on the team, amazingly) and skated the other way. Then he had a half-hearted "not the face" type fight with Lucic in the next game. No "message" is going to give him backbone.

Stafford is still dead to me for his "we have other guys for that" comment on fighting. If that's his competitive spirit, we're screwed.

So, yeah, we have three alternate captains who are flat tires. We're not going to get through to them by trading lower profile players (or by doing anything else). Regier should have traded them when he had the chance, but he's in love with guys he drafted so now we're stuck with them.

So you are going to trade MAG, and let McNabb take his place as the 7th defenseman? A 20 year old sitting in the press box unless there are injuries? Makes sense to me. :doh:

You misread my post. The D spot would be taken by McNabb on the team...i.e. McNabb would be kept up. His actual spot on the roster would certainly be in the top 6.

I don't think there's any chance you could "send a message" to Derek Roy and he'd respond to it. He is who he is. The only way he'd ever change is if he actually WAS traded and his whole life changed. If he's ever going to reach the next level, it won't be as a Buffalo Sabre.

As for Gaustad, I don't think any message is going to change him either. He saw Lucic run Miller (his best friend on the team, amazingly) and skated the other way. Then he had a half-hearted "not the face" type fight with Lucic in the next game. No "message" is going to give him backbone.

Stafford is still dead to me for his "we have other guys for that" comment on fighting. If that's his competitive spirit, we're screwed.

So, yeah, we have three alternate captains who are flat tires. We're not going to get through to them by trading lower profile players (or by doing anything else). Regier should have traded them when he had the chance, but he's in love with guys he drafted so now we're stuck with them.

Well I certainly hope you are wrong. If these guys aren't open to motivation, then getting rid of them is the best thing we can do. But I hold out hope that they want to become better players in Buffalo.

Well I certainly hope you are wrong. If these guys aren't open to motivation, then getting rid of them is the best thing we can do. But I hold out hope that they want to become better players in Buffalo.

Even if they are open to motivation of that sort, trading a 6-7 defensemen is not going to send a message to them. Much of the roster outside of the top-six (and Gaustad) has turned over during the last four season, and no message was sent. If you want to send a message to Stafford, then trade Roy; if you want to send a message to Roy, then trade Stafford. Even then, it's not a guarantee, but it's a lot more likely than moving some kid who is in and out of the lineup.

You misread my post. The D spot would be taken by McNabb on the team...i.e. McNabb would be kept up. His actual spot on the roster would certainly be in the top 6.

I like McNabb, but in the stretch run come February and March, I'd rather have Weber in the top 6, and McNabb in Rochester working on his skating and the learning the finer points of playing defense...and at the same time getting 20+ minutes a game.

Even if they are open to motivation of that sort, trading a 6-7 defensemen is not going to send a message to them. Much of the roster outside of the top-six (and Gaustad) has turned over during the last four season, and no message was sent. If you want to send a message to Stafford, then trade Roy; if you want to send a message to Roy, then trade Stafford. Even then, it's not a guarantee, but it's a lot more likely than moving some kid who is in and out of the lineup.

Agree 100%.

I totally don't get why moving a rookie should be expected to put the core on notice.

I totally don't get why moving a rookie should be expected to put the core on notice.

The more I think about it I don't see why any trade would change 'their motivation', unless you trade someone who is clearly a problem player, I just don't see anyone who is on this team. The only Chronic underperformer we have left is Stafford and we aren't going to get anywhere near value atm. I'm assuming the only word out of Pegula himself was bitching about the goaltending a few weeks back? Maybe a word to the players from him might jolt a few of them or see if this Christmas break will spark a few of them into life.

It shows that moves are willing to be made. And that this is just the beginning. I chose the D because we're overloaded there.

If they moved a guy like McCormick I don't think it would send any message...but a kid with talent says a lot more.

It shows that moves are willing to be made. And that this is just the beginning. I chose the D because we're overloaded there.

If they moved a guy like McCormick I don't think it would send any message...but a kid with talent says a lot more.

We're overloaded everywhere. Moving a kid with talent just proves we're stupid.

The more I think about it I don't see why any trade would change 'their motivation', unless you trade someone who is clearly a problem player, I just don't see anyone who is on this team. The only Chronic underperformer we have left is Stafford and we aren't going to get anywhere near value atm. I'm assuming the only word out of Pegula himself was bitching about the goaltending a few weeks back? Maybe a word to the players from him might jolt a few of them or see if this Christmas break will spark a few of them into life.

I guess that depends on how happy they are to be playing here. I think they're in a sweet spot with TP at the helm and that they're playing in a true hockey city. It's easy to become complacent, since Darcy rarely trades one of the old timers. But knowing that a shakeup is in the offing could help them to decide on whether they'd rather go or stay.

We're overloaded everywhere. Moving a kid with talent just proves we're stupid.

Whether it is stupid or not depends on what we would get back for the kid, eh?

I guess that depends on how happy they are to be playing here. I think they're in a sweet spot with TP at the helm and that they're playing in a true hockey city. It's easy to become complacent, since Darcy rarely trades one of the old timers. But knowing that a shakeup is in the offing could help them to decide on whether they'd rather go or stay. Whether it is stupid or not depends on what we would get back for the kid, eh?

At this point I'm going to hide behind the 'I have no idea what happens in the locker room' argument and neither agree not disagree with your statement lol.

As for the last part that is true but I wasn't making that leap, based mainly on the fact that we're stacked everywhere so picks is the only logical option unless we trade multiple players for 1 or 2.

Archived