What would you do if you were in charge?

nfreeman

154 members have voted

1. 1. You get to decide what the Sabres should do within the next 2 weeks to right the ship. What's the FIRST step you take, sometime in the next 2 weeks? (NB you can take other steps later.)

• Do nothing yet -- wait and see how the team does when they get healthy.
    • Fire Lindy
    • Fire Darcy
    • Fire both Lindy and Darcy
    • Trade Roy
    • Trade Stafford
    • Trade Pommer
    • Trade Miller
    • Trade a forward not named above or a defenseman
    • Trade more than 1 player
    • Healthy-scratch 1 or more regulars for several games

If I was owner / VP I would....

1.) Kick Darcy up into the front office in charge of scouting for now (saves face for not having done it last year )

2.) Bring in a new GM with a solid background and potential.

3.) Have new GM hire a new seasoned offensive assistant coach to run the PP and tell Lindy to put Kevin Adams on the road prescouting our next opponents breaking down their systems and sending the intell back to the team prior to develop a game plan. (Gad this team does not look like they have one)

4.) New GM is mandated by owner(me) to send a message to the team by making a trade period. Stafford and/or an additional player. Sometimes change for the sake of change is needed and that is what it looks like.

That is all. Signing off. Please continue the knashing of teeth and abject misery after all we are Bflo fans.

Thank you Sir may i have another.

I voted fire Lindy and Darcy.

I am an avid reader and occasional poster. You all know so much. That comes from a man who's probably spent a double digit percentage of his life playing, watching, or chaperoning kids to and from hockey games.

I think Lindy and Darcy are every bit as capable today as they were during their long tenures. I believe, also, that the franchise is different today. The skills that assemble and coach a competitive team under economic constraints are different than the skills that find and coach better talent to the championship level. In short, our two sign and get the most out of middling players under middling contracts. There are franchises were this is the business model. Ours is no longer one of those franchises.

My respect is unchanged. However, a tandem that makes the canny moves with consistancy and coaches championship performance is missing. The core lacks take no prisoner winners. It seems to lack passion. The coach has been tuned out, to borrow an over-used phrase. GMs and coaches are easier to change than players are to, en masse. That's life.

I also wouldn't trade MIller. He lost again tonight but I thought he looked terrific. I think he's pretty close to out of his rut and we're going to see consistently very good goaltending from him again.

In my mind, they need Miller to string together some consistent starts for him to regain some trade value. Trading him now, when is value is at its lowest, seems illogical (except in the "change for the sake of change" mindset). Don't get me wrong, I've wanted Miller moved for a year or two now (though I'm not chained to the idea), but I suspect that they're going to give him every opportunity to regain his form before they move him. I'd think moving a position player is more likely at this point.

Miller is the biggest chip they have left to play. Most every player I listed is going to garner only picks or possibly a prospect. The idea is to change the construct of the team, in order to get that done you have trade value.

I would trade Vanek and Ennis in a heart beat if the return warranted it. My top priorities would still be Roy and Miller than the rest of the players I mentioned.

I generally agree with this philosophy, although again see my above comment on Miller with regards to his trade value. I don't think it would 'hurt' the team (given it's current projections) to see if he can shake out the cobwebs and raise his trade value, however slightly, from its present state. But I'd listen to offers on anyone and everyone. Of the current roster, Vanek is perhaps the only *safe* player who wouldn't (shouldn't?) be moved.

To me though, any moves have to be preceded by the firing of Regier. Like many here, I had hoped Pegulajet would dump him after last season. But I'd rather have some fresh eyes looking over this roster and allowed to make their own moves, rather than giving Darcy the 'OK' to dump guys like Roy and Stafford (theoretically) for picks. Give the new guy a shot at the roster. Hell, make projected roster changes/plans the key part of the interview process.

I'd also like Lindy gone, but Pegula's comments last year (as others have elaborated upon) seem to indicate he is safe. But I'm tired of that system as well.

I generally agree with this philosophy, although again see my above comment on Miller with regards to his trade value. I don't think it would 'hurt' the team (given it's current projections) to see if he can shake out the cobwebs and raise his trade value, however slightly, from its present state. But I'd listen to offers on anyone and everyone. Of the current roster, Vanek is perhaps the only *safe* player who wouldn't (shouldn't?) be moved.

A lot of people are critizing Darcy for not trading Stafford when his value was high. Fundamentally, it's hard to make that kind of trade. Last year it seemed as if Stafford finally "got it," and was going to start being a regular contributor to the team. You can make the argument that Stafford should've been traded after his lackluster playoff performance, but the truth is that every player in the top six had a lackluster playoff performance. Sure, Vanek scored a bunch of first period goals in the Philly series, but that doesn't make him untouchable in my eyes. As much as I like Vanek (he's my favorite player and I have a Vanek practice jersey), there's NFW he's untouchable. Miller and Myers are the closest things we have to untradable players on this team, in my opinion.

A lot of people are critizing Darcy for not trading Stafford when his value was high. Fundamentally, it's hard to make that kind of trade. Last year it seemed as if Stafford finally "got it," and was going to start being a regular contributor to the team. You can make the argument that Stafford should've been traded after his lackluster playoff performance, but the truth is that every player in the top six had a lackluster playoff performance. Sure, Vanek scored a bunch of first period goals in the Philly series, but that doesn't make him untouchable in my eyes. As much as I like Vanek (he's my favorite player and I have a Vanek practice jersey), there's NFW he's untouchable. Miller and Myers are the closest things we have to untradable players on this team, in my opinion.

I just wouldn't have given him the big renewal he 'earned' after his contract year. To me, his body of work made last year an aberration, although I totally get why most felt he was finally "getting it." That sort of decision would be easier if the NHL had a CBA along the lines of baseball with free agent compensation for players declining arbitration (apologies if something like this does exist in the NHL, if so I am unfamiliar with it). I'd rather have draft picks than Stafford on his current deal, but hindsight is 20/20.

I'm not one to take playoff performance as indicative of the overall quality of a player. Sure, it is part of the makeup, but we need look no further than Leino (possibly Ehrhoff as well?) to see what happens when a team overvalues playoff performance (in terms of pursuing free agents). To me, the reason Vanek is untouchable is because he's the closest thing we have to a superstar among the position players. But more importantly, he's one of the few positive constants out of the "core." To me, I just don't see him being moved (not that he necessarily shouldn't be moved, but that's another discussion).

Miller is untradeable at this point simply because his performance has negated much of his trade value. It's not that he can't be traded, it's that he represents more value on the roster as an active player than he would net in return at this juncture. But as someone who no longer feels he's the same player from 2-3 years ago, I'm not against moving him. I just don't think they can right now and expect much in return.

I wouldn't move Myers either unless it was for an offensive player of similar age, blue chip potential, and relatively comparative contractual status. Obviously, they don't grow on trees. But you're right, he's probably untouchable as well.

Most posters around were counting on Stafford being re-signed in the offseason and being a contributor for many years to come. There were very few here that did not want Stafford re-signed at all, some just a lower price tag. It is nigh impossible to make the decision as a GM to trade away a young, highly drafted player who just scored 30 goals. Sell-high is great in theory, but I can't remember a single instance where the GM of a team pulled off a move like that following a strong year.

I like much of our core. Stafford is going back to his old ways though and Leopold while good has not been brilliant, he might have value. Regarding Roy I'd want a C of reasonable size who has good eyes for a pass OR someone who is a good second/first line C with a truckload of experience if we were to trade him.

I have to admit that coming into this season I had put expectations a bit high for this team. I blame Terry for that! Regardless this team just out right sucks!! The problem is more than just a couple players not showing up and having grossly overpaid contracts, coaching, and in the end managing. I chose to trade Stafford and Roy and to fire both Darcy and Lindy, although the Lindy check was a hard one. He's been a Sabre forever it seems... Bottom line is that this team will go absolutely nowhere without very very major shakeups! I can only hope and pray that the Santa of last year can pull something out of this pathetic run we call the 2011-2012 season.

1. Fire Lindy. His career shoulda been over five years ago.

2. Trade Roy. Still thinking he's the locker room cancer

3. Trade Ehrhoff. Just the statement that makes will shake up that locker room.

4. Start press-boxing players left and right if they show any signs of slowing down midway thru games. No questions asked.

1. Fire Lindy. His career shoulda been over five years ago.

2. Trade Roy. Still thinking he's the locker room cancer

3. Trade Ehrhoff. Just the statement that makes will shake up that locker room.

4. Start press-boxing players left and right if they show any signs of slowing down midway thru games. No questions asked.

1. You'd KEEP Regier?

2. Ignoring the fact that Ehrhoffs contract makes him completely untradable you think his the problem? Not Stafford, or even having 9 regulars always out of the lineup?

3. Ruff's career should have been over just after we lost Briere and Drury yet kept battling or just after we won the presidents trophy?

4. Roy being the locker room cancer I don't know about because I'm not in the locker room, but from what I can tell I don't think there is a 'cancer', I think no-one believes in themselves so their not shooting for the corners, there just batting pucks at the net. From what I can see and what I've heard we get the opportunities its just that we don't convert, maybe the team needs to focus on that.

Regier needs to go, giving the new GM ample time to prepare for the trade deadline. I'm on the fence with Lindy and am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt with all of the injuries. But as a new GM, would certainly give him an ultimatum to turn things around by a certain date or face certain dismissal. A little heat can't hurt and maybe Lindy's a little too comfortable in this new relationship with TPeg. Maybe Lindy has "lost the room" in a similar fashion to Boudreau ?

Roy also needs to go ... trade him while he still has some value. Too many soft players on this team ... I wouldn't lose any sleep over either MAG, Boyes, Pominville, or Hecht going elsewhere.

I chose do nothing and wait... But if I was Terry, I would make an appearance in the dressing before the next home game, apologize to Miller for my comments. Ask Pommers in front of the dressing room what he feels is lacking. He'll give me the company line, so I would reiterate the fact I want to win and I pay all of them to accomplish that goal, and warn them that If I see another half-hearted effort at home for the rest of the season they all should look over their shoulder because none of them are safe. I then pull Darcy and Lindy aside and tell them this is unacceptable and that I want a proposed trade on my desk by the next home game.

Why should he have to apologize to Miller in front of the team? He's the boss, the owner, the big cheese. If he thinks the work isn't up to snuff it is his prerogative to call out his employees.

McCormick is an NHL'er. So add another.

This. I can't believe, with this roster having such a dearth of physical guys who show up every night, that we're even discussing this. McCormick is an NHL'er.

If I was owner / VP I would....

1.) Kick Darcy up into the front office in charge of scouting for now (saves face for not having done it last year )

2.) Bring in a new GM with a solid background and potential.

3.) Have new GM hire a new seasoned offensive assistant coach to run the PP and tell Lindy to put Kevin Adams on the road prescouting our next opponents breaking down their systems and sending the intell back to the team prior to develop a game plan. (Gad this team does not look like they have one)

4.) New GM is mandated by owner(me) to send a message to the team by making a trade period. Stafford and/or an additional player. Sometimes change for the sake of change is needed and that is what it looks like.

That is all. Signing off. Please continue the knashing of teeth and abject misery after all we are Bflo fans.

Thank you Sir may i have another.

Agree with most, but I want Darcy gone. Period. I don't want him sticking his nose in, don't want his input

Besides - why would he want to stay? That would appear to be a demotion, going from GM in charge of the entire hockey department to director of scouting. I think I'd take my severance and move on.

1. You'd KEEP Regier?

2. Ignoring the fact that Ehrhoffs contract makes him completely untradable you think his the problem? Not Stafford, or even having 9 regulars always out of the lineup?

3. Ruff's career should have been over just after we lost Briere and Drury yet kept battling or just after we won the presidents trophy?

4. Roy being the locker room cancer I don't know about because I'm not in the locker room, but from what I can tell I don't think there is a 'cancer', I think no-one believes in themselves so their not shooting for the corners, there just batting pucks at the net. From what I can see and what I've heard we get the opportunities its just that we don't convert, maybe the team needs to focus on that.

This. All discussion over what to do has to start with canning Regier. He built this roster, and he is responsible for how it performs. I'm not absolving Lindy, because I think his message has gotten stale and the players are tuning him out (or the players who we need to lead don't care to) but ultimately DR is the architect of this mess.

In my alcohol addled head this seems to me to be somewhere between realistic and ideal:

Once the key players are back from injury, Roy and Stafford are moved on to greener pastures. Jarret Stoll is brought in. So is Derrik Brassard. And a deal is made to aquire Ryan Malone. The two centers shore up our center depth issue and add some size. Malone is a veteran top 6 forward with lots of playoff experience. I think he'd bring the grit and leadership the forward group is missing.

I'm not going to get into trade proposals that might make it happen. Minutia as far as I am concerned. Besides, it's Christmas eve and I've got other things going on.

Vanek - Stoll- Pomminstein

Ennis- Brassard - Malone

Leino - Adam - Kassian

McCormick - Goose - Kaleta

Yeah, that means no room for the likes of Boyes, Gerbe, Ellis, etc. Move em along for whatever we get. My priority isn't getting value for them, it is getting the right combo on the ice.

I have no freaking clue if this fits under the cap but I figure it ought to be close. And I have no idea how reasonable it is to fantasize about Stoll or Malone moving. If not, maybe Horcroft /Vermette/Umberger can be made available.

As for the coach/GM. If the GM can't pull off something along these lines I'm happy to see him moved along. And if the coach can't get acceptable levels of performance out of this lineup, I'm OK with him going too, but that would most likely be an offseason determination.

In my alcohol addled head this seems to me to be somewhere between realistic and ideal:

Once the key players are back from injury, Roy and Stafford are moved on to greener pastures. Jarret Stoll is brought in. So is Derrik Brassard. And a deal is made to aquire Ryan Malone. The two centers shore up our center depth issue and add some size. Malone is a veteran top 6 forward with lots of playoff experience. I think he'd bring the grit and leadership the forward group is missing.

I'm not going to get into trade proposals that might make it happen. Minutia as far as I am concerned. Besides, it's Christmas eve and I've got other things going on.

Ennis- Brassard - Malone

Leino - Adam - Kassian

Yeah, that means no room for the likes of Boyes, Gerbe, Ellis, etc. Move em along for whatever we get. My priority isn't getting value for them, it is getting the right combo on the ice.

I have no freaking clue if this fits under the cap but I figure it ought to be close. And I have no idea how reasonable it is to fantasize about Stoll or Malone moving. If not, maybe Horcroft /Vermette/Umberger can be made available.

As for the coach/GM. If the GM can't pull off something along these lines I'm happy to see him moved along. And if the coach can't get acceptable levels of performance out of this lineup, I'm OK with him going too, but that would most likely be an offseason determination.

Question: whats the big deal with Stoll. I thought he was an average centre who could put up reasonable points but certainly not a top line centre on a contender (which is what we aim to be)?

Is anyone looking forward to the end of the trade freeze for Regier to make some moves? It's like looking forward to prom night knowing full well that you aren't going to get any action that night...

...and even if you did, the most you would get is half a handy in the back seat. :(

Question: whats the big deal with Stoll. I thought he was an average centre who could put up reasonable points but certainly not a top line centre on a contender (which is what we aim to be)?

He is reasonably obtainable as he is not a #1 C on his team and his team is floundering. He has a good skill level, has size, and is a pretty good passer. And of course he's a natural center.

Boston showed me that you don't need a protoype #1 center to contend if you have a very good fleet of wingers. We have IMO a very good fleet of wingers. But we have only one scoring center and he's a bit of an underachiever. At this point I don't believe anyone is going to give up their #1 C and not ask for a sizable ransom in return. I would prefer a bonafide #1 C (which I agree Stoll is not) but failing that, emulating Boston's C situation seems like a reasonable (and more attainable) option. Guys like Stoll, Vermette, Horcroft, and maybe Brassard fit.

Ennis- Brassard - Malone

Leino - Adam - Kassian

That looks really good. i think that one of the better suggestion i have seen

He is reasonably obtainable as he is not a #1 C on his team and his team is floundering. He has a good skill level, has size, and is a pretty good passer. And of course he's a natural center.

Boston showed me that you don't need a protoype #1 center to contend if you have a very good fleet of wingers. We have IMO a very good fleet of wingers. But we have only one scoring center and he's a bit of an underachiever. At this point I don't believe anyone is going to give up their #1 C and not ask for a sizable ransom in return. I would prefer a bonafide #1 C (which I agree Stoll is not) but failing that, emulating Boston's C situation seems like a reasonable (and more attainable) option. Guys like Stoll, Vermette, Horcroft, and maybe Brassard fit.

Stoll is a solid center that will get you 15 goals, 40 points and 160+ hits a season. He will also win about 56% of his face-offs. Stoll is an upgraded version of Paul Gaustad. He is not an ideal #1 center. He would be an decent #2 for this franchise or an ideal #3. Considering the lack of center depth league wide having Stoll as the #3 maybe too much to ask. Adding Stoll and a true #1 center would make Roy and Gaustad better centers by putting them in their proper roster slots.

Centers

#1 Fill in the blank.

#2 Roy

#3 Stoll

#4 Gaustad

I would be very confident going into the playoffs with a center group that look likes this. Depending, of course, on who the Sabres could get to fill that #1 spot. Also, can they acquire a center and not have to give up Roy. That would take some doing.

Ah ok, thanks for the clariication. I think we'd be daft to get rid of Gausted in particular to be honest, thinking along similar lines. The guy is a great checking line center who is a classy player and great faceoff guy.

Stoll is a solid center that will get you 15 goals, 40 points and 160+ hits a season. He will also win about 56% of his face-offs. Stoll is an upgraded version of Paul Gaustad. He is not an ideal #1 center. He would be an decent #2 for this franchise or an ideal #3. Considering the lack of center depth league wide having Stoll as the #3 maybe too much to ask. Adding Stoll and a true #1 center would make Roy and Gaustad better centers by putting them in their proper roster slots.

Centers

#1 Fill in the blank.

#2 Roy

#3 Stoll

#4 Gaustad

I would be very confident going into the playoffs with a center group that look likes this. Depending, of course, on who the Sabres could get to fill that #1 spot. Also, can they acquire a center and not have to give up Roy. That would take some doing.

Im going to ask a really stupid question:

Why does a a center have to be natural other than for faceoffs?

Im going to ask a really stupid question:

Why does a a center have to be natural other than for faceoffs?

I'm not the most knowledgeable X and O's guy, but I believe that centers have very different and generally more complicated responsibilities in both ends of the rink. Wingers seem to have more straightforward responsibilities, which is why natural wingers often seem lost, especially in their own end, when playing center. Natural centers can more easily move over to the wing than vice versa. I'd rather have six natural centers in my top-6 than five wingers and one center, which is what we have now.

I'm not the most knowledgeable X and O's guy, but I believe that centers have very different and generally more complicated responsibilities in both ends of the rink. Wingers seem to have more straightforward responsibilities, which is why natural wingers often seem lost, especially in their own end, when playing center. Natural centers can more easily move over to the wing than vice versa. I'd rather have six natural centers in my top-6 than five wingers and one center, which is what we have now.

Ok fair enuff, thanks for the explanation.

Not exactly on topic, aren't the players that end up being centers usually the best athletes on their amateur teams? Like QBs in football and pitchers in baseball?

Archived