What would you do if you were in charge?

nfreeman

154 members have voted

1. 1. You get to decide what the Sabres should do within the next 2 weeks to right the ship. What's the FIRST step you take, sometime in the next 2 weeks? (NB you can take other steps later.)

• Do nothing yet -- wait and see how the team does when they get healthy.
    • Fire Lindy
    • Fire Darcy
    • Fire both Lindy and Darcy
    • Trade Roy
    • Trade Stafford
    • Trade Pommer
    • Trade Miller
    • Trade a forward not named above or a defenseman
    • Trade more than 1 player
    • Healthy-scratch 1 or more regulars for several games

Come'on. If he plays 37 out of the next 42, that is a 73 game pace and he is getting run down 3 months going into the playoffs.

Same script as last year setting up....that is, if the Sabres can go on a torrid run.

If your goal is to win a Stanley Cup, Miller cannot handle that type of workload and still be efficient in the playoffs. If we have 42 games left, Miller should get 30ish and Enroth 12 if you want to pace him. If you don't trust Enroth, get another goalie in here. Look what Biron is doing in NY.

That's fine. I just don't like the "Miller will be worse off for it" bit. I think it is safe to say that getting into the playoffs at this point is the goal the team is realistically fighting towards. I don't think they should hold anything back because Miller might be worse off for it when they get there, when not getting there is the other option.

Pace, schmase. He'll be around 60 games for the year. I hardly think Miller is tired right now. He played 66 and 69 the last two years. 60 is a piece of cake.

And Biron's played 10 freakin games. Nice sample size.

An average 25 year old woman has had a total of 13 sexual partners. Sally is 25. She has had 13 sexual partners. She had 6 from 18-24, and 7 in the past 3 months.

How do you classify Sally?

And yes, Biron played 10 games....and he will play 10 more most likely....and Lundquist will end up playing 62 and be fresh after only 30 the 2nd half of the season.

An average 25 year old woman has had a total of 13 sexual partners. Sally is 25. She has had 13 sexual partners. She had 6 from 18-24, and 7 in the past 3 months.

How do you classify Sally?

And yes, Biron played 10 games....and he will play 10 more most likely....and Lundquist will end up playing 62 and be fresh after only 30 the 2nd half of the season.

So what you are saying is that NYR trusted Biron enough to play him 10 games out of 50 but now will play him 10 out of 40?

Got it.

So what you are saying is that NYR trusted Biron enough to play him 10 games out of 50 but now will play him 10 out of 40?

Got it.

???

He has played 10 out of 37 so far.

That puts Henrik on tap for less than 30 the 2nd half of the season and 60 games if form holds.

If you watch 24/7......Torts says "We've found that successful teams only play their goalies a certain amount of games and give them plenty of rest going so they will be fresh for the playoffs."....or something almost exact.

???

He has played 10 out of 37 so far.

That puts Henrik on tap for less than 30 the 2nd half of the season and 60 games if form holds.

If you watch 24/7......Torts says "We've found that successful teams only play their goalies a certain amount of games and give them plenty of rest going so they will be fresh for the playoffs."....or something almost exact.

Here we are facing the second half of another season and the plan seems to be to ride Miller again and end up nowhere.

IMO, it doesn't matter how many gaames Miller plays. If they don't upgrade their talent upfront it's a waste of time.

Here we are facing the second half of another season and the plan seems to be to ride Miller again and end up nowhere.

IMO, it doesn't matter how many gaames Miller plays. If they don't upgrade their talent upfront it's a waste of time.

I think this is the second time I've agreed with you this week. :unsure:

Ok back to subject here's what I would do:

1) Sack Ruff and Regier. I'd hire a GM and an assistant but not let them choose the coach, hire the coach at the same time from the lower leagues. probably trim the assistants, maybe replace Patrick or something like that.

2) Trade for Eric Staal. Maybe give up Roy, Ennis and Brennan/Sekera/Tropp or whatever. I don't care if it's realistic so don't bother commenting on 'oh Roys crap no-one wants him' or whatever. Its a forum, calm down.

3) Lines:

Vanek-Staal-Pom

Gerbe-Leino-Kassian

Adam-Hecht-Boyes

Mccormick-Gausted-Kaleta

Myers-Ehrhoff

Regehr-Leopold

Weber-MAG

Miller

Enroth

Adam and Gerbe, Kassian and Boyes are all interchangable. Anyone not mentioned is trade bait for anything missing. Kassian also could be sent down if we find someone who'll do the trick in trade.

Trolls note: I'm at lunch, at work, attempting to get this thread on track again.

1) Sack Ruff and Regier. I'd hire a GM and an assistant but not let them choose the coach, hire the coach at the same time from the lower leagues. probably trim the assistants, maybe replace Patrick or something like that.

If you don't want the new GM to hire the coach, who is it that you think should be handling this hire? :blink:

President one would assume.

Not typically how it is done. IMO, the GM is the person in charge of hockey operations, and in almost all the cases, responsible for hiring the coach. The team president is in charge of the overall business which included hiring a competent GM, and then turning over the day to day building of the team to that person.

Not typically how it is done. IMO, the GM is the person in charge of hockey operations, and in almost all the cases, responsible for hiring the coach. The team president is in charge of the overall business which included hiring a competent GM, and then turning over the day to day building of the team to that person.

Meh, ok that bit can change but the rest stays lol.

Ok back to subject here's what I would do:

2) Trade for Eric Staal. Maybe give up Roy, Ennis and Brennan/Sekera/Tropp or whatever. I don't care if it's realistic so don't bother commenting on 'oh Roys crap no-one wants him' or whatever. Its a forum, calm down.

Why not trade Kaleta for both Sedins? How about Hecht for Malkin? And you'll probably want to fire up the time machine and get Gretzky and Orr too!

The point of the board is to have knowledgeable hockey talk. Saying "I would trade XYZ BS package for Staal" doesn't qualify.

Why not trade Kaleta for both Sedins? How about Hecht for Malkin? And you'll probably want to fire up the time machine and get Gretzky and Orr too!

The point of the board is to have knowledgeable hockey talk. Saying "I would trade XYZ BS package for Staal" doesn't qualify.

As stated, package it however you want I'd go after Staal first, Getzlaf if that didnt work out. Dont really give a monkeys what is 'reasonable'. I attempted to get the thread on track and yet you insist on dealing with 'what would be a realistic package'. I'm saying what I would change, what would do change if you were in charge?

As stated, package it however you want I'd go after Staal first, Getzlaf if that didnt work out. Dont really give a monkeys what is 'reasonable'. I attempted to get the thread on track and yet you insist on dealing with 'what would be a realistic package'. I'm saying what I would change, what would do change if you were in charge?

I appreciate getting the thread back on track. My point is that if you want to say what you would do if you were in charge, you need to stay within the bounds of reality. I don't think Carolina is going to trade Staal under any circumstances. If there were to do so, however, like a deal for Getzlaf, it would require either Myers or Vanek coming back. I think Anaheim trading Getzlaf, while also pretty unlikely, is at least more possible than Carolina trading Staal because Anaheim's GM has essentially announced that he will consider trading anyone on the team other than Selanne and Koivu.

As for what I would do, I would trade Roy ASAP for whatever the Sabres could get for him on an addition-by-subtraction theory. I would also strip the C and the As from the current "leadership group" and give them to the younger guys who play hard.

As stated, package it however you want I'd go after Staal first, Getzlaf if that didnt work out. Dont really give a monkeys what is 'reasonable'. I attempted to get the thread on track and yet you insist on dealing with 'what would be a

realistic package'. I'm saying what I would

change, what would do change if you were in

charge?

I'd start with a reasonable trade package for both Getlaf and Ryan, starting with Vanek & Myers.

I'll call him Sir Alex when he starts calling me Lord Awesomeness of Eleventon.

By "absolutely not," you mean his record wouldn't be anything close to what it is, right?

Sorry, I misread your question concerning his record. Yes, his record wouldn't be anywhere close to what it is at Man U.

I appreciate getting the thread back on track. My point is that if you want to say what you would do if you were in charge, you need to stay within the bounds of reality. I don't think Carolina is going to trade Staal under any circumstances. If there were to do so, however, like a deal for Getzlaf, it would require either Myers or Vanek coming back. I think Anaheim trading Getzlaf, while also pretty unlikely, is at least more possible than Carolina trading Staal because Anaheim's GM has essentially announced that he will consider trading anyone on the team other than Selanne and Koivu.

As for what I would do, I would trade Roy ASAP for whatever the Sabres could get for him on an addition-by-subtraction theory. I would also strip the C and the As from the current "leadership group" and give them to the younger guys who play hard.

C goes to a veteran imho, always. Pominville has proven he'll play hard every night and lead this team. The fact that some of the assistants are useless sacks of meat I'm not blaming him. If the players can't motivate themselves at least partially what can he do. The A's should be stripped from Stafford and Roy, one given to Regehr and thats it.

I'm not so sure on Carolina not trading Staal, everyone has their price. I don't think another purely Western Conference player moving east is going to answer our prayers. Staal is also a proven leader.

The two bolded statements above are irreconcilable.

Limey, since you're across the pond, a question: What do you think Alex Ferguson's record would be like if he were living with Norwich City's budget and players?

He'd still be a great manager ( I HATE Man U and football in general but the guy calls it as it is, knows his players and how to control star ego's) but there's no way he'd be a 'sir'. Well respected, maybe. Hope that explains my opinion on that one.

The two bolded statements above are irreconcilable.

You are probably right about this, but a nonsensical trade requires a third party to do something it would never do, while changing the C and the As just requires the Sabres to make the decision.

Archived