What would you do if you were in charge?

nfreeman

154 members have voted

1. 1. You get to decide what the Sabres should do within the next 2 weeks to right the ship. What's the FIRST step you take, sometime in the next 2 weeks? (NB you can take other steps later.)

• Do nothing yet -- wait and see how the team does when they get healthy.
    • Fire Lindy
    • Fire Darcy
    • Fire both Lindy and Darcy
    • Trade Roy
    • Trade Stafford
    • Trade Pommer
    • Trade Miller
    • Trade a forward not named above or a defenseman
    • Trade more than 1 player
    • Healthy-scratch 1 or more regulars for several games

i voted wait until the regulars are healthy.

When that happens we look like a top team on paper.

but when these are the lines going into the game

MORNING SKATE LINES

Vanek-Roy-Pominville

Stafford-Adam-Szczechura

Foligno-Gaustad-Kassian

McCormick-Ellis-Whitmore

we have 3 maybe 4 true NHL players

i think it will all pan out eventually

Bonus points for similar avatars. If you look carefully, my avatar knows what it's doing.

It's not just your avatar that knows what it's doing! :thumbsup:

But you lose points for being the Larry Quinn incarnation (Quincarnation?) of the classic logo. Not a fan of the big fat gold circle.

i voted wait until the regulars are healthy.

When that happens we look like a top team on paper.

but when these are the lines going into the game

MORNING SKATE LINES

Vanek-Roy-Pominville

Stafford-Adam-Szczechura

Foligno-Gaustad-Kassian

McCormick-Ellis-Whitmore

we have 3 maybe 4 true NHL players

i think it will all pan out eventually

I count 6, maybe 7. Who are you dissing.

For those voting wait until everyone is healthy, when will that be?

Lieno...weeks, not days

Hecht...who knows

Ennis...reinjured ankle; haven't heard timeline

Gerbe...concussion

Myers...back after Xmas

Boyes...may play thursday

Tropp, Stuart & whomever else is hurt...???

Except for Myers & Boyes, it doesn't sound like anyone is coming back soon. Do you just keep waiting for everyone to get healthy before you pull the trigger?

For those voting wait until everyone is healthy, when will that be?

Lieno...weeks, not days

Hecht...who knows

Ennis...reinjured ankle; haven't heard timeline

Gerbe...concussion

Myers...back after Xmas

Boyes...may play thursday

Tropp, Stuart & whomever else is hurt...???

Except for Myers & Boyes, it doesn't sound like anyone is coming back soon. Do you just keep waiting for everyone to get healthy before you pull the trigger?

IMO Tropp, Stuart, whomever else don't count in the wait unless they result in cap issues preventing bringing another player in. They are AHL'ers.

If you are referring to waiting to make a player move......

One of the issues is, how do you make a deal that moves players out if you don't have a backfill. Also, a guy like a healthy Ennis may be needed to be part of the package you need to put together to make a deal that makes sense. Can't do that if he's on IR.

If you are referring to waiting to make a coach/GM move......

I think that if you are prone to wanting to make a coach/GM move I don;t see why waiting for healthy players matter. We've seen the coach/GM operate with a healthy roster. Nothing to be gained IMO by waiting.

Adam (on pace for a 25 goal, 50 point season) and maybe Kassian.

McCormick is an NHL'er. So add another.

Check again, there's some pretty pert satire not exactly hiding in my avatar.

Not seein' it.

NM- I see it now.

All roads go thru Darcy. That's where I would start and finish come mid-January with no improvement. I would give the new GM ability to make the call on Lindy and what players stay and which go.

I would be targeting a high assistant from the Detroit (continuity and ability to find/keep talent), Pittsburgh (already has an in with the folks there), Philadelphia (HATE them but respect their ability to make drastic changes to successfully re-shape an organization i.e. Luce?) or Boston (the team I'd most like to resemble right now) organizations. All know how to win and most are familiar with the East. In years past, I don't think we'd successfully land a big fish but all bets are off now with the clear desire to win and just importantly, spend. The cupboards are not bare; I think it is an attractive position for someone looking for a chance of their own to shape a winner.

Well, certain of us have made our feelings well known about what we'd like to see. I'd like to get some numbers on it.

The question is: if you were making the decisions, what would you do NOW (ie within the next 2 weeks, assuming we get another 2 weeks of up-and-down .500 hockey), with the idea that you would give it a reasonable period of time to gauge its effectiveness before doing anything else? NB that choosing one step to take first doesn't mean you are precluded from doing any of the others later (although once someone is fired, cut or traded, then they are obviously out of the picture for later moves).

Also NB that the "Trade Player X" options assume that the Sabres get a modest return -- i.e. prospects, picks or at best a decent 2-way player like Hecht with a good work ethic -- NOT Malkin, Staal, Getzlaf or other elite player.

I chose trading Roy.

I would fire Regier and Ruff the day I took over and bring in a veteran interim-coach right away. I would start the process of interviewing GM candidates. I would like to have a GM in place for the trade deadline where the plan is to gut the core of the roster.

I would fire Regier and Ruff the day I took over and bring in a veteran interim-coach right away. I would start the process of interviewing GM candidates. I would like to have a GM in place for the trade deadline where the plan is to gut the core of the roster.

How many guys would you like to see traded at the deadline? Not arguing (maybe later on that though), I am just curious as to your specific preference.

How many guys would you like to see traded at the deadline? Not arguing (maybe later on that though), I am just curious as to your specific preference.

My top priorities would be to move Roy and Miller if possible. I would like to move Pominville, Stafford and Leino but realistically their contracts are prohibitive. I also want to clear out the pending UFAs like Boyes, Gaustad and Hecht.

Top priority is move Roy. This team has shown to be better without him and before you ask for proof, including the 2009-2010 season Sabres are 32-14-6 without (1.35 points per game, .615 straight win pct) and 71-56-17 with (1.10 points per game, .493 straight win pct).

I would let Darcy go at the end of the year and let the new GM decide the fate of Ruff, although I would stress the need to have Ruff replaced. I don't think his system works - for years now we have been able to be pushed around and we rarely seem to have sustained offensive zone presence.

It seems like every time we trade at the deadline the player comes in and does a good job for the first few games and then disappears and the same goes for rookie call ups. Could it be that after Ruff gets them on script for his system they are no longer as effective? Just seems odd to me.

No. Not an option, either in reality or in this poll. And these names "keep appearing" only in posts by yobs who don't understand reality.

The point of the question is "What would you do if you're in charge?" The options do not include bending reality to meet fantasy.

Maybe we could find a kindly wizard to be our GM.

Check again, there's some pretty pert satire not exactly hiding in my avatar.

Nice.

My top priorities would be to move Roy and Miller if possible. I would like to move Pominville, Stafford and Leino but realistically their contracts are prohibitive. I also want to clear out the pending UFAs like Boyes, Gaustad and Hecht.

So, trade Miller and all of the forwards except Vanek and Ennis?

That sounds like overdoing it IMHO.

I could certainly be on board with much of it, though. I'd like to keep Leino and Gaustad, if he'll take a 2-year deal at the same salary that he has now, and I'm still not convinced that Stafford must go (but I wouldn't protest much if he were traded).

I also wouldn't trade MIller. He lost again tonight but I thought he looked terrific. I think he's pretty close to out of his rut and we're going to see consistently very good goaltending from him again.

Pommer is an interesting possibility. He has 2 more years at a ridiculous $5.3MM per year, but he would certainly be an attractive candidate for a team that thinks it can make a deep playoff run this year.

I'd be totally fine with trading Roy, Pommer, Boyes and Hecht at the deadline, as well as Leopold or MAG.

Adam (on pace for a 25 goal, 50 point season) and maybe Kassian.

Roy on pace for 17 goals, 51 points and that with an average of 19 minutes of TOI compared to Adams 13 minutes. There should be no comparison between these two, Roy really needs to pick up his game.

So, trade Miller and all of the forwards except Vanek and Ennis?

That sounds like overdoing it IMHO.

I could certainly be on board with much of it, though. I'd like to keep Leino and Gaustad, if he'll take a 2-year deal at the same salary that he has now, and I'm still not convinced that Stafford must go (but I wouldn't protest much if he were traded).

I also wouldn't trade MIller. He lost again tonight but I thought he looked terrific. I think he's pretty close to out of his rut and we're going to see consistently very good goaltending from him again.

Pommer is an interesting possibility. He has 2 more years at a ridiculous $5.3MM per year, but he would certainly be an attractive candidate for a team that thinks it can make a deep playoff run this year.

I'd be totally fine with trading Roy, Pommer, Boyes and Hecht at the deadline, as well as Leopold or MAG.

Miller is the biggest chip they have left to play. Most every player I listed is going to garner only picks or possibly a prospect. The idea is to change the construct of the team, in order to get that done you have trade value.

I would trade Vanek and Ennis in a heart beat if the return warranted it. My top priorities would still be Roy and Miller than the rest of the players I mentioned.

Archived