What would you do if you were in charge?

nfreeman

154 members have voted

1. 1. You get to decide what the Sabres should do within the next 2 weeks to right the ship. What's the FIRST step you take, sometime in the next 2 weeks? (NB you can take other steps later.)

• Do nothing yet -- wait and see how the team does when they get healthy.
    • Fire Lindy
    • Fire Darcy
    • Fire both Lindy and Darcy
    • Trade Roy
    • Trade Stafford
    • Trade Pommer
    • Trade Miller
    • Trade a forward not named above or a defenseman
    • Trade more than 1 player
    • Healthy-scratch 1 or more regulars for several games

Rank the core in terms of who you want out of here by the start of next season. Knowing they all aren't going to be moved by then, would you want Pominville out of here before Stafford, Roy, Vanek, Miller, Gaustad & Roy?

1. Stafford

1A. Stafford

2. Gaustad

3. Roy, if the return is right. (Because they're still thin at C)

4. Miller, if the return is right. (For a return on a Vezina winner, albeit one having a bad year to be "right," it should be a #1 C +).

I see no reason to move Pominville other than the fact that he's expensive. That is the least of the team's problems. (Doesn't mean I think he's a great captain, though. I don't think any of us know whether he is or isn't, but I wouldn't mind seeing Regehr w/ the C.)

Same goes for Vanek.

Gerbe's got heart. And for 1.4 million is a good deal.

Maybe that means he's trade bait. :unsure:

Gerbe's got heart, but in a league-wide comparison this year's Gerbe is not a value. Second half of last year even though he didn't sign that contract yet, 1.4 would have been a great value. So we got a player who got hot for three months...............with heart. I like the guy, its just this God status he and Kass didn't earn that drives me crazy, while players like Pomminstein and Myers get crushed.

I wouldn't mind keeping Pommer, but this team has been a total failure under his captaincy. If we kept him, I wouldn't want him wearing the 'C'. That's why it's easier just to trade him (not to mention his value is higher than it has been in years).

This. To me this season has really exposed and erased any doubt any doubt as to the utter lack of heart and mental toughness of the Pommer generation.

Pommer's captaincy is the hockey equivalent of the Italian cruise ship captain's captaincy.

Rank the core in terms of who you want out of here by the start of next season. Knowing they all aren't going to be moved by then, would you want Pominville out of here before Stafford, Roy, Vanek, Miller, Gaustad & Roy?

Roy first, then Stafford, then Pommer, then Gaustad. But I see no reason that all 4 of those can't be unloaded.

I want to keep Vanek and Miller to rebuild around. I think Miller will return to form.

Not sure why anyone wants to get rid of Pommers. He's 1 out of 3 or 4 that actually play 2 way hockey with some heart.

Are you insinuating that with all the problems with this team, you're worried about Pomminstein being captain?

If the captaincy carries this sort of weight explain the run they went on last year w/o one.

Game in and out the two players on this team you can rely on effort is Pomminstein and Ellis. Between the two I'll take Pomminstein.

Consistently too.

And 60/70 point producers who play the game with some heart and have a good, natural 2 way game aren't too common.

Pommer is a good player. If he were a $3MM 2nd-line winger who didn't wear a letter? I'd have no desire to get rid of him (although would gladly do so for the right trade). But he's their $5.3MM captain and top-line winger who didn't lift a finger when his goalie got run in the defining moment of the season.

This franchise needs to turn the page on the post-Drury/Briere group. They have failed miserably.

Also, the Sabres would probably get more in return for Pommer than any of the other stiffs they need to unload -- maybe a first-rounder and a high-end forward prospect who plays with an edge. I would take that, along with Pommer's cap slot, for him in a heartbeat.

This. To me this season has really exposed and erased any doubt any doubt as to the utter lack of heart and mental toughness of the Pommer generation.

Pommer's captaincy is the hockey equivalent of the Italian cruise ship captain's captaincy.

Roy first, then Stafford, then Pommer, then Gaustad. But I see no reason that all 4 of those can't be unloaded.

I want to keep Vanek and Miller to rebuild around. I think Miller will return to form.

Pommer is a good player. If he were a $3MM 2nd-line winger who didn't wear a letter? I'd have no desire to get rid of him (although would gladly do so for the right trade). But he's their $5.3MM captain and top-line winger who didn't lift a finger when his goalie got run in the defining moment of the season.

This franchise needs to turn the page on the post-Drury/Briere group. They have failed miserably.

Also, the Sabres would probably get more in return for Pommer than any of the other stiffs they need to unload -- maybe a first-rounder and a high-end forward prospect who plays with an edge. I would take that, along with Pommer's cap slot, for him in a heartbeat.

If you do not Pomminstein as captain fine. On this team there is no better choice IMO. Is there someone out there that could fill the role better? For Sure.

Pomminstein has 46 points in 47 games 13th in the league in scoring on a line without a #1 or #2 center. That is a league with 30 teams, meaning 60 top-line wingers. Hell he's an All-Star for whatever that is worth. How can you say he is not a first-liner?

If you do not Pomminstein as captain fine. On this team there is no better choice IMO. Is there someone out there that could fill the role better? For Sure.

Pomminstein has 46 points in 47 games 13th in the league in scoring on a line without a #1 or #2 center. That is a league with 30 teams, meaning 60 top-line wingers. Hell he's an All-Star for whatever that is worth. How can you say he is not a first-liner?

How can there be no better choice on this roster? Look at what they've accomplished this year! Could they have done any worse with a dead man as captain? (To be fair, he's far from the only one in a leadership role who has dropped the ball -- they all have done so.)

As for his points, there is putting up numbers for a bad team, and then there is doing what's needed to get wins. Every crappy NBA team has a guy who can score 20 points per game, but jacks up too many 3s, turns it over too often and misses free throws and mid-range jumpers in the 4th quarter. If we're deciding whom to make the captain and pay $5.3MM per year to, I'm not impressed by numbers.

It was last year, get over it. Plus its not his job to pick fights, why does everything for everyone revolve around that ONE ###### INCIDENT for some of you guys. Gausted, McCormick, Kaleta, Regehr, Myers, Weber can all be blamed. Him and the elite forwards? Less so. I could go on but I'm busy.

How can there be no better choice on this roster? Look at what they've accomplished this year! Could they have done any worse with a dead man as captain? (To be fair, he's far from the only one in a leadership role who has dropped the ball -- they all have done so.)

As for his points, there is putting up numbers for a bad team, and then there is doing what's needed to get wins. Every crappy NBA team has a guy who can score 20 points per game, but jacks up too many 3s, turns it over too often and misses free throws and mid-range jumpers in the 4th quarter. If we're deciding whom to make the captain and pay $5.3MM per year to, I'm not impressed by numbers.

Exactly look what they've accomplished this year. Other than Pomminstein and Vanek the individual or collection of players have accomplished nothing.

Fine you do nike the guy. He's overpaid. So is half the league, almost all of this team. He is one of two players producing and the other has slowed down quite a bit lately.

So unless you believe Vanek is a clear better choice (which could make sense), you think there is multiple other options on this roster. Please Explain.

And this isn't the NBA. There happens to be a guy standing in front of the goal. Just because you shot 20 times does not mean 40-50% are going in.

It was last year, get over it. Plus its not his job to pick fights, why does everything for everyone revolve around that ONE ###### INCIDENT for some of you guys. Gausted, McCormick, Kaleta, Regehr, Myers, Weber can all be blamed. Him and the elite forwards? Less so. I could go on but I'm busy.

It has been THE defining moment of the season. Everything after that game has gone downhill. That one incident was a micro-chasm of the definition of the team. It brought it all to the front.

I would bet money that if it was any other team, and a different goalie getting run, EVERYBODY on the ice would've tried to get after Lucic. If it was MY goalie, I wouldn't care if I was the size of Gerbe going after a guy the size of Chara. You make him pay, or lash out to show you won't stand for it. They failed to do either. A couple pushes, a couple shoves, and then the demoralizing in the media followed. Since then, the Sabres have been GOD AWFUL to say the least. IMO, all 5 guys on the ice should have been involved in trying to rough up Lucic.

The roll of a captain is to take the licks for your team in the bad to show that you've got their backs. I think it would've motivated the team a little seeing Pominville jump in there, and i think more of the team would've joined in.

That all being said, I like Pommer's as Captain right now, and I disagree that his captaincy is the equivalent of jumping ship.

Exactly look what they've accomplished this year. Other than Pomminstein and Vanek the individual or collection of players have accomplished nothing.

Fine you do nike the guy. He's overpaid. So is half the league, almost all of this team. He is one of two players producing and the other has slowed down quite a bit lately.

So unless you believe Vanek is a clear better choice (which could make sense), you think there is multiple other options on this roster. Please Explain.

And this isn't the NBA. There happens to be a guy standing in front of the goal. Just because you shot 20 times does not mean 40-50% are going in.

As I mentioned in another thread, I would take the letters away from all 5 of the current holders and would give the C to Myers and the As to Gerbe and Regehr.

I'm well aware that this isn't the NBA. Do you not think, though, that the same concept of putting up numbers on a bad team exists in the NHL?

It has been THE defining moment of the season. Everything after that game has gone downhill. That one incident was a micro-chasm of the definition of the team. It brought it all to the front.

I would bet money that if it was any other team, and a different goalie getting run, EVERYBODY on the ice would've tried to get after Lucic. If it was MY goalie, I wouldn't care if I was the size of Gerbe going after a guy the size of Chara. You make him pay, or lash out to show you won't stand for it. They failed to do either. A couple pushes, a couple shoves, and then the demoralizing in the media followed. Since then, the Sabres have been GOD AWFUL to say the least. IMO, all 5 guys on the ice should have been involved in trying to rough up Lucic.

The roll of a captain is to take the licks for your team in the bad to show that you've got their backs. I think it would've motivated the team a little seeing Pominville jump in there, and i think more of the team would've joined in.

That all being said, I like Pommer's as Captain right now, and I disagree that his captaincy is the equivalent of jumping ship.

Well said.

I assume you're looking at this from a different angle, but Pominville has definitely not jumped ship on this team.

You're right. I just meant in terms of disastrous results.

As I mentioned in another thread, I would take the letters away from all 5 of the current holders and would give the C to Myers and the As to Gerbe and Regehr.

I'm well aware that this isn't the NBA. Do you not think, though, that the same concept of putting up numbers on a bad team exists in the NHL?

No, as I said above that in hockey, you not only have to play a gainst a defense, you have to beat a goalie. This means just because you have average to better talent there is still very little chance you score unlike the NBA where a talented player scores around 40% of shots.

You can compile "cheap" points in hockey by playing with a great player (See Dupuis with Crosby), but this is just not the case here.

I say again: take the letters away from the entire current "leadership group." They have completely failed.

Give the C to Myers, 1 A to Gerbe and the other A to Regehr.

Wait until the deadline frenzy is at its peak, and unload Roy, Stafford, Pommer, Gaustad, Hecht, Boyes, Leopold and MAG. Load up on picks and prospects. Do NOT take on other team's bad contracts in trade. Use the last 6 weeks of the season to determine whether Kassian, Tropp, Chewie and/or Foligno can play full time in the NHL next year.

This summer, sign Parise and Doan as UFAs and another tough veteran center to be the #3. Keep plenty of cap space as dry powder in case Shea Weber or another elite player becomes available in trade, and use it along with the picks and prospects picked up at the deadline to make the deal.

Never again give fat, long-term contracts to guys who haven't earned them.

If this post started with "First get a new GM and coach." I'd be 10000% behind it. The last sentence, especially.

He plays a great all round game, plays with heart, very rarely misses a game. How can he be to blame for this seasons failures? It's clear who's underperformed and that management and coaching need changing. the captaincy really does seem redundant at this point.

Archived