What would you do if you were in charge?

nfreeman

154 members have voted

1. 1. You get to decide what the Sabres should do within the next 2 weeks to right the ship. What's the FIRST step you take, sometime in the next 2 weeks? (NB you can take other steps later.)

• Do nothing yet -- wait and see how the team does when they get healthy.
    • Fire Lindy
    • Fire Darcy
    • Fire both Lindy and Darcy
    • Trade Roy
    • Trade Stafford
    • Trade Pommer
    • Trade Miller
    • Trade a forward not named above or a defenseman
    • Trade more than 1 player
    • Healthy-scratch 1 or more regulars for several games

Getting the #1 pick guarantees nothing. Over the last 15 years, teams with the #1 overall pick have won the cup 3 times after that point. Tampa with Lecavalier, Chicago with Kane, and Pittsburgh with Crosby and Fleury. Going one step further, there are numerous #1 overall picks who are forgettable such as Stefan, Daigle, DiPietro & Berard. Other #1 overall picks have been very good, but haven't reached a Stanley Cup FInal such as Thornton, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin & Nash.

Would it nice to have the #1 overall pick in a year when the next Gretzky comes out, SURE. Can you win a cup without a #1 overall pick, ABSOLUTELY.

It's how the Penguins, a bigger market team than Buffalo, got Lemieux AND Crosby. (how does that happen?)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/712119-mario-lemieux-and-the-20-best-first-overall-nhl-draft-picks

one of the big problems with the Sabres is they never get an overall #1 pick. When they have a bad year, they're usually just mediocre and miss the playoffs, then get a #13 draft pick. They've never really hit rock bottom except for '86 when they got Turgeon.

I read the comments of the Oilers fans...They want to "Fail for Nail." (Yakupov) Maybe the Sabres should fail for nail too. When you're bad, you should be very bad, not middle-of-the-road bad. How about running for the bus in January?

And look what "smilin Ger" turned him into ... A number one pick is not always the answer, but it could turn into something special.

Not to mention that you have to have a keen eye and the ability to build a team around that number one pick and have a great coach to coach them ... the Penquins have done it twice.

And look what "smilin Ger" turned him into ... A number one pick is not always the answer, but it could turn into something special.

Not to mention that you have to have a keen eye and the ability to build a team around that number one pick and have a great coach to coach them ... the Penquins have done it twice.

Don't forget in that bottom-out process the pens also got 2 #2 picks and got Malkin and Staal

I been thinking about a trade with detroit lately, well was up last night at 03.00 am watching sabres and it probably came cause of sleep deprevation.

would they go for a jiri hudler vs sekera + 2nd round pick ?

Given more icetime with the sabres, i actually believe this could be a nice steel for us.

granted still would need the #1 center, but we can dump Roy more easily :P

one of the big problems with the Sabres is they never get an overall #1 pick. When they have a bad year, they're usually just mediocre and miss the playoffs, then get a #13 draft pick. They've never really hit rock bottom except for '86 when they got Turgeon.

I read the comments of the Oilers fans...They want to "Fail for Nail." (Yakupov) Maybe the Sabres should fail for nail too. When you're bad, you should be very bad, not middle-of-the-road bad. How about running for the bus in January?

IMO, they'll hit rock bottom after the upcoming 7-game road trip. The Sabres could easily find themselves in 13th place on 1/31 ... then for sure it would be time to jettison Lindy & Darcy, trade Roy/Stafford/Miller, get the kids more playing time and look ahead to 2012-13. Boyes, Gaustad & Hecht come off the books and I wouldn't lose any sleep if Ellis/Kaleta were gone. Time to retool and rebuild.

Sorry for the pessimistic outlook, but it comes with the territory.

IMO, they'll hit rock bottom after the upcoming 7-game road trip. The Sabres could easily find themselves in 13th place on 1/31 ... then for sure it would be time to jettison Lindy & Darcy, trade Roy/Stafford/Miller, get the kids more playing time and look ahead to 2012-13. Boyes, Gaustad & Hecht come off the books and I wouldn't lose any sleep if Ellis/Kaleta were gone. Time to retool and rebuild.

Welcome to Team Storm Cloud.

When Edmonton scored the third goal last night were you hoping for the forth?

I been thinking about a trade with detroit lately, well was up last night at 03.00 am watching sabres and it probably came cause of sleep deprevation.

would they go for a jiri hudler vs sekera + 2nd round pick ?

Given more icetime with the sabres, i actually believe this could be a nice steel for us.

granted still would need the #1 center, but we can dump Roy more easily :P

You need to ask yourself this question. Why would a team that is 3rd in the league in goals-per game and 5th in the league in goals-against average want to trade their 5th leading point producer who is also a +6 for Sekera and a pick? I couldn't imagine they would make this deal. The Sabres best bet is to pick off of the bottom feeders and look to a team that is looking to cut payroll or clean house.

You need to ask yourself this question. Why would a team that is 3rd in the league in goals-per game and 5th in the league in goals-against average want to trade their 5th leading point producer who is also a +6 for Sekera and a pick? I couldn't imagine they would make this deal. The Sabres best bet is to pick off of the bottom feeders and look to a team that is looking to cut payroll or clean house.

cause they need to stock up on their defensive core, rafalski is already gone and lidstrom won't last much longer either. and their coach keeps referring to hudler as underachiever.

Please rethink this. We can't take any salary on. We'd have to find better AND cheaper players, or package a few up for one. The latter I see as most likely if at all.

cause they need to stock up on their defensive core, rafalski is already gone and lidstrom won't last much longer either. and their coach keeps referring to hudler as underachiever.

Pretty sound logic, they'd want MAG or Mcnabb though and thats too high a price to pay.

I just don't think Detroit is looking beyond this current run to the Cup. If they were in 7th or 8th place than I think a deal like this would be possible. As it is right now they are one of the better teams in the league and will more than likely be looking to fine tune here and there, not replace parts.

I just don't think Detroit is looking beyond this current run to the Cup. If they were in 7th or 8th place than I think a deal like this would be possible. As it is right now they are one of the better teams in the league and will more than likely be looking to fine tune here and there, not replace parts.

Detroit is one of the most successful teams of the last 20 years. They will be looking for the future to maintain success. Arguably they are the best run team in the league, of course they aren't just looking at 'one final cup run'.

Pretty sound logic, they'd want MAG or Mcnabb though and thats too high a price to pay.

Why i hope dangling sekera + 2nd round pick would work. MAG would be a desperation trade, if we'd like got rid of Roy and stafford for a #1 center, lets say jeff carter.

basically saying, i'd trade roy and stafford for jeff carter + 2nd round pick.

and then turn around and make a play at hudler. if it costs us MAG so be it.

Detroit is one of the most successful teams of the last 20 years. They will be looking for the future to maintain success. Arguably they are the best run team in the league, of course they aren't just looking at 'one final cup run'.

For the sake of arguement let's say Detroit is willing to deal Hudler for Sekera and a pick. Where does Hudler fit on this Sabres team? He is a center, he is also smallish, not physical in any way and has only achieved modest, Lieno like, success offensively. If he is averaging about 15 goals and 35 points a season with a team like Detroit, wouldn't a decrease in offensive production be expected?

Why i hope dangling sekera + 2nd round pick would work. MAG would be a desperation trade, if we'd like got rid of Roy and stafford for a #1 center, lets say jeff carter.

ummmm....really? not a chance

For the sake of arguement let's say Detroit is willing to deal Hudler for Sekera and a pick. Where does Hudler fit on this Sabres team? He is a center, he is also smallish, not physical in any way and has only achieved modest, Lieno like, success offensively. If he is averaging about 15 goals and 35 points a season with a team like Detroit, wouldn't a decrease in offensive production be expected?

Getting another natural center would definitely still be a positive for this squad of wingers. Not to mention the more centers we have, the easier it is to get rid of Roy.

Getting another natural center would definitely still be a positive for this squad of wingers. Not to mention the more centers we have, the easier it is to get rid of Roy.

He's a natural center that can't seem to score consistently with the Red Wings and has never been over 45% on face-offs. Don't get me wrong, I want centers on this team as much as anyone. I just don't think Hudler answers any of the Sabres needs outside of being a "natural" center.

The more that I look at this guys numbers the less I think he is worth. Maybe Sekera and a #2 is over-paying and Detroit would take the deal.

A +1 for you sir. I believe you are correct.

Carter didn't work out in Columbus, do we want to take another risk on a player that 'worked in Philly'?

Completely agree, I don't see value in Hudler at all at this stage. I was disputing the deal but I agree the target isn't work going after anyway. Staal is the one I'd really go after at this stage, plus a front office change.

All this is mute as I don't see DR and LR being able to continue until after the season, fan support for their removal is just to strong.

Carter didn't work out in Columbus, do we want to take another risk on a player that 'worked in Philly'?

Completely agree, I don't see value in Hudler at all at this stage. I was disputing the deal but I agree the target isn't work going after anyway. Staal is the one I'd really go after at this stage, plus a front office change.

All this is mute as I don't see DR and LR being able to continue until after the season, fan support for their removal is just to strong.

I would surmise that Carter's value may be at an all time low right now, seeing how much he has struggled in CLS this year. Both teams appear to be bottom dwellers so they may be interested in changing things up.

Although right now, CLS has been having some recent success with the pairing of Carter and Nash on the top line together. Probably wouldn't want to mess with the possible chemistry there.

I would surmise that Carter's value may be at an all time low right now, seeing how much he has struggled in CLS this year. Both teams appear to be bottom dwellers so they may be interested in changing things up.

Although right now, CLS has been having some recent success with the pairing of Carter and Nash on the top line together. Probably wouldn't want to mess with the possible chemistry there.

To be honest I couldn't even begin to guess what their up to.

I agree that hudlers face off % is weak and his size makes me doubt him to.

but don't agree on his numbers, his ice time is somewhat limited in detroit,

i see him racking up more points in buffalo and defensively i consider him better then roy

he'd only be our #2 center, and i do a trade for him if we shipped roy, stafford out and got #1 center

I'd never trade with a team smarter than us -- Detroit. They'd rip us off for sure. Our best trades have been with teams like Phoenix or LA--who didn't know what they're doing at the time. Our big problem is that we've turned into team that doesn't know what it's doing.

Archived