Stafford needs to go

Eleven

• 3 weeks later...

Just for fun, here's my first post in this thread (#4 on Page 1).

Amen. I was SO hoping we'd trade him last year, or right after last year, when his value was at an all-time high. I just wasn't buying the "he figured it out" line about him suddenly having a terrific work ethic because that's what it takes to make it in the NHL. (Funny coincidence that he'd "figure it out" in a contract year.)

And I've never forgiven him for his "we've got other guys for that" line about fighting. You're either a hockey player on this team or you're not.

Also, can we just once trade a guy when his value is high? Just once? Darcy needs some foresight. Afinogenov led the team in points after 2006 but it was clear even then that he wasn't a guy we'd count on the a Cup run. Instead of trading him, we re-signed him and by the time he left, his value was basically zero. What are the chances Stafford is untradeable in a year or two?

This post is 22 months old on Monday.

So is the thread. And yet he remains.

I'm amused that he became an untradeable disaster basically right on cue with the timeline I tossed out there.

Why did fans understand this two years ago but our GM could not? The Sabres are a fun distraction for me after work, but this is Regier's job after a lifetime of hockey.

Watched him mic'ed up in Beyond Blue & Gold the other day.

Reminds me of myself in high school - Completely disinterested in the teacher, cracking stupid jokes, preferrably to the kids who DO seem interested.

Acting like an obnoxious teenager half the time, which is fine. Most of us did.

When we were in our teens...

I'm amused that he became an untradeable disaster basically right on cue with the timeline I tossed out there.

Why did fans understand this two years ago but our GM could not? The Sabres are a fun distraction for me after work, but this is Regier's job after a lifetime of hockey.

I heard Darcy falls in love with some of his players. :wub:

Edited by 716

Last night's effort from Stafford is EXACTLY why this pansy needs to get off this team sooner than later. When I see that he can put forth effort like that from start to finish and be a real difference maker within a game, it makes me sick to my stomach to think about how many game this free loader just mails it in. I have NO doubt in my mind he is thinking "I'll play hard for a few games, get my value up and maybe they can trade me to another team where I can mail it in all over again."

There is NO explanation that he can give on why we can see a game like that ONCE every year. Knowing that he has the talent but NO heart makes me hate him even more. Play hard Staff because nobody would love to get your trade value up more than me.

Last night's effort from Stafford is EXACTLY why this pansy needs to get off this team sooner than later. When I see that he can put forth effort like that from start to finish and be a real difference maker within a game, it makes me sick to my stomach to think about how many game this free loader just mails it in. I have NO doubt in my mind he is thinking "I'll play hard for a few games, get my value up and maybe they can trade me to another team where I can mail it in all over again."

There is NO explanation that he can give on why we can see a game like that ONCE every year. Knowing that he has the talent but NO heart makes me hate him even more. Play hard Staff because nobody would love to get your trade value up more than me.

100% this. God, so this. It's way worse to watch him play like that and know most nights he simply chooses not to. That's awful.

There's no shame in trying and failing. But to have the talent he has and squander it? That's a sin.

I don't like Stafford that much.

But smash him for playing badly and smash him for playing well? Give me a ###### break.

He had a god awful ###### season. One that, with an uncharacteristically horrendous shooting percentage, seemed improbably bad. So he sets out to put his head down, work hard, and un###### himself in the off season. He comes back and he looks like a different player. I'm willing to give him a very tenuous wait-and-see, because even I recognize this isn't 2012-13 Stafford we're watching. He's been one of the best forwards for us the past three games, and like it or not, the team needs him to keep playing that way.

But smash him for playing badly and smash him for playing well? Give me a ###### break.

He had a god awful ###### season. One that, with an uncharacteristically horrendous shooting percentage, seemed improbably bad. So he sets out to put his head down, work hard, and un###### himself in the off season. He comes back and he looks like a different player. I'm willing to give him a very tenuous wait-and-see, because even I recognize this isn't 2012-13 Stafford we're watching. He's been one of the best forwards for us the past three games, and like it or not, the team needs him to keep playing that way.

But seriously, ###### Drew Stafford.

You know as well as I do that once a player reaches whipping boy status, this is what happens. Once Stafford goes it'll just be someone else.

Please spare me the bashing Stafford stuff. This guy has been INVISIBLE for 2 years and the ONLY time he showed up was for his contract year. Fck Stafford and his lazy ass agenda

You know as well as I do that once a player reaches whipping boy status, this is what happens. Once Stafford goes it'll just be someone else.

Connolly, Kotalik, Afinogenov, Kalinin.....makes it easier to deal with these teams failing when hate can be given a face I suppose ( I personally was always a huge fan of Max, but clearly remember everyone I knew hating on him) Edited by Tricky

Please spare me the bashing Stafford stuff. This guy has been INVISIBLE for 2 years and the ONLY time he showed up was for his contract year. Fck Stafford and his lazy ass agenda

This team could really do with more forwards who put up 50 points in seasons where their play is described as 'invisible'!

Bar last year, Stafford has been one of our most consistent forwards. He is consistently streaky and puts up about 50 points (or 0.6ppg) a season. There are worse players to have on your team. He is also, usually, alright defensively (no Selke winner, but no slouch either)

Season - Points Per Game

06 - 0.66

07 - 0.59

08 - 0.57

09 - 0.45

10 - 0.84

11 - 0.63

12 - 0.39

Edited by ThirtyEight

Connolly, Kotalik, Afinogenov, Kalinin.....makes it easier to deal with these teams failing when hate can be given a face I suppose ( I personally was always a huge fan of Max, but clearly remember everyone I knew hating on him)

Don't forget Hecht, until he signed for like $1M, and folks no longer expected him to play top six. And be careful with everyone. I only hated Connolly on that list.

Maybe that's the formula for whipping boy? Most under-performing top six player? Or maybe I should check the stats; maybe it's highest dollars per point or something.

Bar last year, Stafford has been one of our most consistent forwards. He is consistently streaky and puts up about 50 points (or 0.6ppg) a season. There are worse players to have on your team. He is also, usually, alright defensively (no Selke winner, but no slouch either)

There are some advanced stats that indicate that, even last year, Stafford is far from the biggest dingleberry on the team.

There are some advanced stats that indicate that, even last year, Stafford is far from the biggest dingleberry on the team.

If we're trying to get more on this board to accept advanced stats, we should probably neglect to mention they say Stafford isn't the most useless hockey player on the planet ;)