Buffalo vs. Boston (11/23/2011), 7:00pm

Corp000085

When your most physical guy is 5'5" tall in Gerbe ( with 8 hits ) you will not match up over 7 games ( if we last that long ) against a team like the Bruins. Sure we're missing some players but thats the reality of the N.H.L. and of the post season. Its a war of attrition and last man standing is often the bigger and most physical.

Yes, but you were saying that the Sabres were missing guys last night because the Bruins were knocking them out of the game and that's simply not true. We lost one guy to a freak thing and otherwise we dished out as much as we took.

Are we as tough and nasty as the Bruins? No. But that doesn't mean we have to be dominated by them during a game. We proved that last night, and we did it missing some key physical players.

Also, now that everyone is obsessed with toughness because the Bruins were the last team to win the Cup, it's good to keep in mind that now every team follows that formula. Over the last 10 years, it was really just the Bruins and Ducks who primarily used physical play to win the Cup. Detroit didn't. Pittsburgh didn't. Carolina didn't. Chicago didn't. The biggest, meanest team doesn't win the Cup every year. It's a means to an end, not the end itself.

Yes, but you were saying that the Sabres were missing guys last night because the Bruins were knocking them out of the game and that's simply not true. We lost one guy to a freak thing and otherwise we dished out as much as we took.

Are we as tough and nasty as the Bruins? No. But that doesn't mean we have to be dominated by them during a game. We proved that last night, and we did it missing some key physical players.

Also, now that everyone is obsessed with toughness because the Bruins were the last team to win the Cup, it's good to keep in mind that now every team follows that formula. Over the last 10 years, it was really just the Bruins and Ducks who primarily used physical play to win the Cup. Detroit didn't. Pittsburgh didn't. Carolina didn't. Chicago didn't. The biggest, meanest team doesn't win the Cup every year. It's a means to an end, not the end itself.

You've got a point. My point is that I'm just not sure a small skilled team that plays out of its comfort zone to be physical can make it past a big skilled team that plays a nasty physical style in a 7 game series. It would be fun to find out.

I've narrowed it down to five types of SSpace posters:

1)Posters who update what they're doing every 20 minutes

2)Those who have a really good post "once in a while"

3)Poster who post stupid ###### but get 200 "pluses".

4)Those who post the same response to every topic and expect no one to notice.

5)Poster who don't post anything but comment on everyone else's post.

And finally those who post something, have a comment, discuss, and don't do the above 4.

And finally those who post something, have a comment, discuss, and don't do the above 4.

Congratulations!

You now know what a message board is like!

Which is why I no longer post here regularly; you've got my schtickt all boiled down to bupkis. B-)

Btw, I'm not positive which group I'm in; I figure it's 4 or 5, but would appreciated the clarification.

Which is why I no longer post here regularly; you've got my schtickt all boiled down to bupkis. B-)

Btw, I'm not positive which group I'm in; I figure it's 4 or 5, but would appreciated the clarification.

I would say none.

Generally, you are consistently one of the most insightful and intelligent posters on the board.

Isn't that six types of posters?

I may qualify "at times" for #2, #4 & #5(I'd like to think I am #6 for the most part), but the day I become #1 or #3, just ban me without any notification or warning. :ph34r:

You just dont have anything of relevance to say on that topic.

Go back to just posting your updates of Sabres related news. Sort of like the #1 you described.

So sorry. I'll stop filling people in on the Sabres practices, etc just because you think it's not relevant.

And to answer your question about West vs East, I don't even have to go look at the number of hits each team has because the West is more physical (as a whole) than the East. Just watch some games. It may be getting more even as teams trade around players but historically IMO West beats East in the physicality dept.

Although the game seems not be the topic anymore i try to write down what i saw.

I think we had plenty of good chances, we showed some grit ( yes we lost the fist fights, but it iis mportant to show the bully yor arenot afraid)and alsoshowed somemorale.

The step in for each other and i thought this was good. Gaustad fought although he knew he did not stand a chance .

Robyn fought with Chara what is basically insane, just like fighting a grizzley beat.

And don't forget who is missing in our lineup.

Miller, Ennis, Myers, Cody, Weber.

We still managed a draw and we had a good chance to win this one.

Bad luck is that we also lost Boyes, but we still have a team which should frighten our opponents.

And just dream about our team when all parts a working as supposed.

Leino, Ennis, Ehrhoff and Myers starts scoring. Maybe Boyes or Leino develop into the center we need. Maybe Hecht will give us some veteran stability.

I believe we have an ok to good team now with a lot of unused potential.

If we can activate this potential, we are a contender, if not we will loose again in round 1.

So sorry. I'll stop filling people in on the Sabres practices, etc just because you think it's not relevant.

And to answer your question about West vs East, I don't even have to go look at the number of hits each team has because the West is more physical (as a whole) than the East. Just watch some games. It may be getting more even as teams trade around players but historically IMO West beats East in the physicality dept.

Amerk, I'm hoping your comments that prompted this were the result of a surfeit of "holiday cheer."

West has been a harder-hitting conference than the East for a long time, IMO.

Amerk, I'm hoping your comments that prompted this were the result of a surfeit of "holiday cheer."

West has been a harder-hitting conference than the East for a long time, IMO.

"Then ladies and gentlemen of the Sabrespace jury....I ask you.....if we are all in agreement that the West Coast plays more physical hockey.....and the past 4 years the Buffalo Sabres were unable to win a playoff series and were eliminated by 2 different teams who played physical hockey in a nearly unanimously annointed whimpy conference.....then....in good concience...how could you possibly hold out major hopes for the Buffalo Sabres Stanley Cup chances this year when they would have to find a way to win 4 playoff series, coming off being a national laughingstock for their lack of toughness, and made net changes throughout their entire organization of Ehrhoff, Gragnani, Regehr, and Lieno for Weber, Montador, Morrisson, and Connolly? Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest."

See Chz'r.....I have the same response as always, but I do expect people to notice!

I think a few of us just had an emotional Thanksgiving, me included. Maybe we can have a Sabrespace Thumb Wrestling Tournament where we can all drink and take our frustrations out on each other.

Archived