Buffalo vs. Boston (11/23/2011), 7:00pm

Corp000085

I think within the first 10 minutes Buffalo needs to do something dirty/flagarant/cheap, something, anything or I think Boston will start chirping, laughing at them and calling the Sabres out and start intimidating them more than they have already done.

To me, for the Sabres to save any kind of face, they 100% have to do something right off the hop. Then, however the game plays out, the game plays out. If they don't do anything the backlash from the media, fans, Bruins and the rest of the league will be compounded from their last game against Boston and I really think that will affect them in a bad way going forward.

Would like to see someone other than the same two guys, Kaleta & McCormick, do something physical tonight.

Drew Stafford got his big contract in the off-season. Tonight would be a good chance for him to start earning it. He is a big guy and should be a lead candidate to do something worthy of a suspension. Even if Stafford got suspended for 20 games I am pretty sure the Sabres could survive without the 3-4 goals he would have scored.

If the Sabres don't take at least 3 or 4 well earned goalie interference penalties it will be a huge disappointment. Send Kaleta and McCormick after Lucic. Keep him in the penalty box all night and take liberties with Thomas/Rask.

The one thing I don't want to hear from the Sabres or fans is the pu$$ified excuse of a warning from the NHL. The Buffalo Sabres have had their toughness and manhood challenged on a national level. They have two choices, either answer the challenge or they can simply continue to prove what has been said about them is 100% accurate.

Could not find a video clip of this but since that awful Saturday night all I can think of is this line.

Spyros: One day, somebody's gonna have to make a stand. One day, somebody's gonna have to say enough. -- IMDb Quotes: Clash of the Titans (2010)

Give them hell tonight boys!

Cody isn't playing to teh best of my knowledge.

We are already being set up by Lucic in a report yesterday where he restated his team would have handled the situation differently. He was then asked if he expected to be targeted. He said yes he's pretty sure someone will take a run at him and laughed. He knows no one will take a run at him and that is only going to make him run roughshod over us even more.

I dont think this is going to be pretty but Goose will have to wrestle him twice and we will lose.

I think I saw someone mention 41-3 that sounds about right. I'm afraid it's going to be a long night. Maybe our D can keep pounding him into the boards. Regehr Regehr Regehr then nothing.

I think Tropp will try to do something with him and likely come away bloodied. Goose wont get bloodied because he will only be in a couple of minor wrestling matches that the refs will save him in.

I haven't felt this way about this team in a long time and I dont like it but it isn't going to stop until we stop it.

WHO steps up and changes this? How bout our goalies just start going old school. Billy Smith style and start chopping people down. It starts there.

This has reached professional wrestling levels of hype. Much of it pretty dumb.

It won't be a streetfight. It will be a hockey game.

Doug Allen will sing. The puck will be dropped. Hockey will be played.

As far as a response to Lucic - teams usually pick their spots - and it may not be tonight. That won't satisfy those calling for a pound of flesh. But that's how hockey usually goes.

As far as a response to Lucic - teams usually pick their spots - and it may not be tonight. That won't satisfy those calling for a pound of flesh. But that's how hockey usually goes.

Your rug is looking kind of lumpy.

Derek Roy, Thomas Vanek, Drew Stafford, Jason Pominville, Luke Adam, Brad Boyes, Paul Gaustad, Nathan Gerbe, Jordan Leopold, Matt Ellis, Robyn Regehr, Christian Ehrhoff, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Andrej Sekera, and Ville Leino complained of flu like symptoms this morning and are all doubtful for tonights game vs the Boston Bruins. Jhonas Enroth, Patrick Kaleta, Jochen Hecht, Corey Tropp, T.J. Brennan and Harry Neale will make up tonight's roster. Also Lindy Ruff will not be behind the bench, as tonight is the night he washes his hair. :o

I just copied my post from the previous Boston GDT...

I don't want to hear what the Sabres are going to do on Wednesday except win a hockey game. They had two players on the ice against Boston(Myers and Gaustad) who could have addressed the situation at the time it happened, and at least 5 players(adding Regehr, McCormick & Kaleta) who could have done something later in the game. They didn't do it, so don't show up with some false bravado on Wednesday to claim retribution.

What I care more about in terms of team toughness, is somewhere down the road when Miller or one of our finesse forwards gets run, who is going to stand up and show some balls without getting called on the carpet by the coaching staff and media?

I wouldn't be surprised if Boston blows out the Sabres tomorrow by 4 or 5 goals. Boston is playing great hockey and the Sabres suck at home.

Derek Roy, Thomas Vanek, Drew Stafford, Jason Pominville, Luke Adam, Brad Boyes, Paul Gaustad, Nathan Gerbe, Jordan Leopold, Matt Ellis, Robyn Regehr, Christian Ehrhoff, Marc-Andre Gragnani, Andrej Sekera, and Ville Leino complained of flu like symptoms this morning and are all doubtful for tonights game vs the Boston Bruins. Jhonas Enroth, Patrick Kaleta, Jochen Hecht, Corey Tropp, T.J. Brennan and Harry Neale will make up tonight's roster. Also Lindy Ruff will not be behind the bench, as tonight is the night he washes his hair. :o

Which one!! :thumbsup:

Cody isn't playing to teh best of my knowledge.

We are already being set up by Lucic in a report yesterday where he restated his team would have handled the situation differently. He was then asked if he expected to be targeted. He said yes he's pretty sure someone will take a run at him and laughed. He knows no one will take a run at him and that is only going to make him run roughshod over us even more.

I dont think this is going to be pretty but Goose will have to wrestle him twice and we will lose.

I think I saw someone mention 41-3 that sounds about right. I'm afraid it's going to be a long night. Maybe our D can keep pounding him into the boards. Regehr Regehr Regehr then nothing.

I think Tropp will try to do something with him and likely come away bloodied. Goose wont get bloodied because he will only be in a couple of minor wrestling matches that the refs will save him in.

I haven't felt this way about this team in a long time and I dont like it but it isn't going to stop until we stop it.

WHO steps up and changes this? How bout our goalies just start going old school. Billy Smith style and start chopping people down. It starts there.

no no ... I think that was the Bills game on Sunday. Or maybe it was last week ... I don't remember anymore. :bag:

Would like to see someone other than the same two guys, Kaleta & McCormick, do something physical tonight.

Drew Stafford got his big contract in the off-season. Tonight would be a good chance for him to start earning it. He is a big guy and should be a lead candidate to do something worthy of a suspension. Even if Stafford got suspended for 20 games I am pretty sure the Sabres could survive without the 3-4 goals he would have scored.

If the Sabres don't take at least 3 or 4 well earned goalie interference penalties it will be a huge disappointment. Send Kaleta and McCormick after Lucic. Keep him in the penalty box all night and take liberties with Thomas/Rask.

The one thing I don't want to hear from the Sabres or fans is the pu$$ified excuse of a warning from the NHL. The Buffalo Sabres have had their toughness and manhood challenged on a national level. They have two choices, either answer the challenge or they can simply continue to prove what has been said about them is 100% accurate.

This.

The Bruins should finish the game with their backup in net tonight.

I'm utterly indifferent to whether it'll be due to getting scored on, or injury.

Not gonna happen though, Lindy will make sure we stay on the receiving end of physical play and cheapshots. Just the way he likes it, apparently.

This is exactly what i expect as well.

That said what I would like to see, ala old school in the first 2 minutes is our designated heavy weight(wait not sure we have one except maybe Cody) ask him to go and they drop they gloves and go at it. Problem is I do not think we have anyone who could give him a go w/o getting hurt let alone take him and he knows that. Then you settle into a hockey game where everyone and I do mean everyone on the team looks for and finishes all checks on him everywhere it presents an opportunity on the ice(boards preferred). That's the way it used to be and still should be done in my estimate.

Back to tonights game. I am encouraged by this from yesterday The top two lines during Tuesday's practice were Brad Boyes centering Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville, with Derek Roy centering Ville Leino and Drew Stafford. When asked after practice about Boyes making the jump to the top line, the coy Ruff said: "That's just for the Boston guys if they were watching."

That is what some of us were proposing on this board in the ROY thread and IMO actually has more balance than what Lindy had been doing with roy on the first line.

I watched the Boston montreal game Monday on CI kind of scouting for this game. Even though Boston won, Montreal which is not a big physical team played their speed and a relentless forecheck and took away time and space from the bigger Boston team. That did work well except Thomas truly was the difference in that game.

I really would like to see that same game plan for tonight because I think it works against Boston and this is a statement push back game to the team to beat in our division and last years SC champ.

Let's go Buffalo time to show fans what you got.

Good post. The grownup perspective is a welcome relief.

Sarcasm? I dont understand why though...

Ummmm...maybe because there is ZERO reason to televise the game nationally(I assume you mean on Versus). 95% of hockey fans outside of Buffalo and Boston have already forgotten about the hit on Miller, and the ones that still have it in fresh in their mind, probably also know that nothing significant will come of it during the game tonight.

Now do you understand?

If nothing happens will the crowd start booing at some point?

The crowd will react to whatever the score of the game is. In both positive and negative ways, the crowd's timbre never approaches the passion displayed on this board. I'd say 80% of the fans who show up this evening will be pretty much ambivalent to the Lucic situation. Out of the remaining 20%, most will want to see retribution but are seasoned enough as fans to know not to expect it.

Just my opinion.

Ummmm...maybe because there is ZERO reason to televise the game nationally(I assume you mean on Versus). 95% of hockey fans outside of Buffalo and Boston have already forgotten about the hit on Miller, and the ones that still have it in fresh in their mind, probably also know that nothing significant will come of it during the game tonight.

Now do you understand?

I disagree with you entirely. Either Versus or NHL network should probably pick this game up. Boston and Buffalo are huge hockey markets and the Miller hit is one of the few things that was actually a blip on the radar of sports fans who dont watch the NHL. Especially with what looks like neither channel showing a game tonight. A normal Buffallo Boston game would get pretty good rating compared to most NHL games and this will only increase that however slightly. Last night they showed Los Angeles and St.Louis this game would do better rating than that normally no doubt with the Lucic drama.

Well, unfortunately Cody and Tyler1 are out for this game and I would expect them to make the biggest difference in the physical department. I don't think it will be necessarily a tame hockey game but anyone expecting a WWE grudge match will be pretty disappointed. Leafs took back the division and Boston is now tied with us (with a game in hand) after winning 9 in a row. The two points would be huge right now.

Anyone know if Hecht or Tyler2 will be back tonight? We need Ennis pretty bad right now to spread out some of our top line scoring IMO.

Archived