Buffalo vs. Boston (11/23/2011), 7:00pm

Corp000085

I don't think anyone is going to lose any sleep over the loss. Buffalo answered the bell. Goose got the distractions out of the way early, he put Lucic in the box for 5 minutes and let his team settle into the game, and the whole thing was behind them. Our offense generated more than enough chances to win the game, and our team matched Boston's physicality. Lucic was a complete and total NON FACTOR, if not for the fight and the constant boo-ing when he touched the puck I wouldn't even know he played. Buffalo was clearly not worried about him, they didn't let him get in their heads.

Gerbe Stafford and Gaustad all played one of their best games of the year, both physically and as far as generating chances. Love how Ference dropped the gloves and Stafford didn't back down. Gerbe was throwing hits all over the place. Marchand scored a goal, but he took a NUMBER of licks from Vanek, Gerbe (x3 at least), Regher, Goose... All in all I thought Buffalo did a great job. Especially considering we were playing with two rookie defensemen, two rookie forwards, a forward playing his first game of the season, our back-up goaltender, and down a man for most of the game when Boyes got hurt.

The shootout is about as meaningful as a coin flip or a round of rock paper scissors. Maybe the NHL's all-time leader in shootout percentage would have made a difference if he hadn't been injured.

I'm not making excuses for the loss but Buffalo played a really good game. A lucky bounce or two and we win the game. We certainly take away FAR more positives from this game than we do negatives.

Great game, tough loss. You can't ask for much more from Enroth.

Keep playing this style and we'll be a playoff team.

This + too many scoring chances not put away. I blame Thomas 2/3 and the Sabres 1/3rd. I walk away with a loss but not my head hanging low. On to CBJ.

Oh, and Chippewa! Happy Turkey Day peeps!

I liked the effort tonight, but the nagging thought that we're still missing some key components hasn't escaped me. The game was somewhat of a micrcosm of the playoff grind, it seems to me. In the end, we couldn't finish and ultimately didn't put the Bruins away, which strikes me the same as a first-round playoff exit.

Are we really a better team than the last two years? Certainly debatable when you consider what it takes to succeed in the post-season.

Lasrly, what a nice effort by Vanek, particularly on the physical side. Dude is strong!

That was a great game to watch. Once again Gerbe was the most physical player. Package his heart and pass it around. Overall the whole team showed up and I think atoned for the debacle in Beantown. The players despite the loss did good.They can put the whole Lucic thing behind them and move on.

Wow, I must be the only person here that definitely did not walk out of there thinking "great effort". Did half the city turn this game off after the first period? 2 blown 2 goal leads and the physical style that got them those 2 goals disappeared half way through the game? I hope the Sabres are not as "satisfied" as the fans are but after hearing the post game, it sounds like they are. Ruff laughing after the game about the Lucic - Gaustad fight and not even addressing blowing another 2 goal lead at home?

I'm sorry but that Lucic V Gaustad fight was brutally staged and the Bruins barely gave Buffalo half of what they could have physically. Paul Hamilton and company are saying that Buffalo gave it everything they had? I swear to God, I must have been watching a different game.....When is blowing another 2 goal lead at home with all the motivation they had "a great effort"?

Wow, I must be the only person here that definitely did not walk out of there thinking "great effort". Did half the city turn this game off after the first period? 2 blown 2 goal leads and the physical style that got them those 2 goals disappeared half way through the game? I hope the Sabres are not as "satisfied" as the fans are but after hearing the post game, it sounds like they are. Ruff laughing after the game about the Lucic - Gaustad fight and not even addressing blowing another 2 goal lead at home?

I'm sorry but that Lucic V Gaustad fight was brutally staged and the Bruins barely gave Buffalo half of what they could have physically. Paul Hamilton and company are saying that Buffalo gave it everything they had? I swear to God, I must have been watching a different game.....When is blowing another 2 goal lead at home with all the motivation they had "a great effort"?

Agree 100%

He must have mistakenly thought Kaleta started the game or someone else would have commented on this.

Sorry, it's the wife's birthday so I was only half watching and posting when I could. I thought kaleta was in tonight and then out. I was only being snarky anyway.

I thought it was a pretty good game. I liked everything the Sabres did in response to the whole Miller/Lucic thing. In fact, I was shocked by it. The only thing they didn't get was 2 points.

News flash, the Bruins are better than the Sabres, and yet we took them to a shootout where if we had Boyes,.. who knows. Even with the loss, I'm less ashamed to be a Sabres fan.

This + too many scoring chances not put away. I blame Thomas 2/3 and the Sabres 1/3rd. I walk away with a loss but not my head hanging low. On to CBJ.

Oh, and Chippewa! Happy Turkey Day peeps!

Well shoot if I had known the chip was happenin tonight I would have pounded a bunch of red bulls and dragged my ass back to town tonight instead of tomorrow. :wallbash:

You haven't read the thread. Which is not to say I don't blame you, but you haven't read the thread.

You are correct - I started it after the game concluded and noticed mostly positive comments. That, along with the post game show on the drive home were like nails on a chalkboard. It is starting to sound like all the Bills fans who think the season was a success because they beat the Patriots in week 3.

Actually, I disagree. They did answer it. They lost in a shootout which has nothing to do with physical play.

Yes they did. Good game, GREAT effort (albeit with a lapse in late 2d, early 3d), tough loss, got a point, move on to Friday.

You are correct - I started it after the game concluded and noticed mostly positive comments. That, along with the post game show on the drive home were like nails on a chalkboard. It is starting to sound like all the Bills fans who think the season was a success because they beat the Patriots in week 3.

Excellent choice of words. The whole "answered teh bell" storyline is just a distraction. Something for the media to write about and the Sabres to use to deflect the real issues this team has.

This game had "MUST-FREAKING-WIN" all over it for it to mean anything other than being a mid-November game for the usual Sabres march toward mediocrity. Apparently, the Sabres thought it had "MUST-PUT-ON-SHOW-FOR-FIRST-PERIOD-EVEN-THOUGH-IT-MAY-HURT" and were happy with that. I'm sure the team psycho-therapist was glad this day has come and gone. On to more pressing issues, like, "where do I sit if I'm benched?"

The Walking Stormcloud. I hope the Sabres turn you back before ur shot in the head.

Don't worry....if Pominville's shooting from the point, he's safe.

I found this game perfectly acceptable. Gaustad and Regehr at least answered the bell. It doesn't prove anything but it should be enough to get most off their backs for a while.

They lost to a better team. What are you going to do? You give a decent effort, you don't shy away, you aren't good enough. I can handle that. If they put in tonight's effort against every team, they might actually win a playoff round.

Me too. It looked really bad. Often times when I have seen that type of thing happen, it turns out to be a broken tibia or a fracture of some sort in the leg. I don't think it was his knee, but if it was his knee, then it looked really bad. I'm hoping for the best.

The Sabres are really going into a tough stretch with Kaleta hurt, Ennis hurt, Myers hurt, Weber hurt, and it appears Boyes may be gone for some time. Even though Hecht is back, one hit and there could be issues.

Speaking of hits to the head, did anyone see I think it was Krejci on Ehrhoff at the end of the third period come in with a flying elbow to the head of Ehrhoff? I anticipate Shanahan will do nothing as he seems to have an issue with the Sabres, but that was a hit to the head and it wasn't even called a penalty on the ice.

I hope you're right. Any ligament damage would be more long term. I tried to go back to NHL GameCenter to watch it again but their servers went down halfway through overtime and haven't come back up yet. Sure would be nice if Ennis is ready soon, we really can't afford to lose anybody else. I missed the Erhoff hit.

Archived