Buffalo vs. Boston (11/23/2011), 7:00pm

Corp000085

Roy just continues to come up small when they need him most.

I agree that Roy can be maddening, but...

I'm beating a dead horse on this subject, but the reason why they need to rely on Roy, is that there are no other options at the scoring line center position. Here I thought that with the acquisition of Leino, that Hecht could fill the 3rd line center role, but thanks to "no mas Leino", there was Hecht right back at the scoring line center position last night.

Regier failed miserably in the off-season in terms of addressing this(actually this has been a need since the D&B fiasco), and the fans will be saying the same thing this off-season. They need to draft/trade for/sign a UFA, scoring line centers preferably over 6'0" tall.

This game was a small example of what a playoff series against this Bruins team will look like. The sabres slowly losing players to injuries as the series goes forward mostly due to our small size compared to their size and physical play. We can't match up over 60 minutes with them physically never mind over a 7 game series.

I agree that Roy can be maddening, but...

I'm beating a dead horse on this subject, but the reason why they need to rely on Roy, is that there are no other options at the scoring line center position. Here I thought that with the acquisition of Leino, that Hecht could fill the 3rd line center role, but thanks to "no mas Leino", there was Hecht right back at the scoring line center position last night.

Regier failed miserably in the off-season in terms of addressing this(actually this has been a need since the D&B fiasco), and the fans will be saying the same thing this off-season. They need to draft/trade for/sign a UFA, scoring line centers preferably over 6'0" tall.

Thank you for saying this. I keep saying this and thinking this. I understand that you should draft the best guy but we desperately need scoring centers who can physically handle it. Right now IMHO the only center that could MAYBE become a true #1 guy is Catenacci and hes in juniors still and only 5'10"...

Now the game:

Vanek is still rolling and dropping the points which is awesome. Pommers played fine last night but I wish he would shoot a little faster, his windup takes so long that teams he is playing next week are ready.

Gerbe is so much fun to watch and the kids got more heart than the rest of the team combined. I wish they would put him with Stafford who also started driving to the net and playing good. I liked how he dropped the gloves and maybe FINALLY stafford will start playing.

Some people have bashed Regehr or at least said he wasn't as amazing as we all thought. I think he is playing exactly the way he should and does. He checks and plays physical in his own end and that the best thing that could happen.

Ehrhoff needs to shoot more and learn of this magical thing called the 1timer.... He is starting to settle into the sabres system I think.

TJ Brennan is better than MAG but he needs to get a better stick, he broke at least 3 last... at least he knows what a 1-timer is though. For his first game I thought he looked pretty good.

TROPP!!!! get Ellis out and put Tropp in from now on. That kid blocks shots like its his job and plays a good, solid, smart game.

MAG needs to go away... far away. He really doesn't pass that good and his defensive play in his own zone is so soft I think if he ever did check someone he would break something. The worst part is that people are going to be like "but but but he had 2 assists" yup 2 second assists on plays that were anything but bang bang and 1 of them was luck that Roy's pass bounced straight to Brennan for the shot. As the season gets closer to the playoffs his soft play will become more exposed and that doesn't bode well.

With Boyes out and Kaleta injured, do we see Kassian for a couple of games? It would be interesting. Glad they didn't bring up the kid for this game though. Lucic would have beat him down. Also, if an AHL guy has to come fight your battles :death:

Final thought: We lost another game at home after having a 2 goal lead. This is not happening by fluke. This team backs off and that has to be a coaching thing... I have never really said anything about this but Ruff made need to go and Regier with him. I think this team is capable of more but I am not sure they can take the step with Ruff.

That being said, they were physical or at least showed some backbone so again, I feel like they took a step forward last night but 1 game means nothing. If they come out and do it again and again and again then we have something. If not its just a charade.

Ahhh, remember the days after the lockout when the NHL went to a speed and skill game and the Sabres were ready for it?

Those days seem like distant memories. The Canucks found out last summer that they aren't big enough to beat teams like Boston, a team not built on speed and skill. The Sabres are finding out the same.

Gotta build your team like the old days. Big, tough and a dash of skill and speed.

What gets me is how a team like Boston gets away with so much. It's early and I'm rambling so I apologize.

By all accounts the boys tried but this team is still built for the "new NHL" and it won't get it done, sadly.

And I'm all for moral victories, but Kassian should have been called up to deal with Lucic. Big error by the Sabres in not doing so.

This is the post of the year.

Couldn't agree more. Every fan who is chewing on the "gave it the old college try though didn't we" mentality are only fooling themselves in my most humble opinion.

This team still is unable to compete for the CUP. It really is that simple at the end of the day.

The staged fight by Goose and Lucic was just horrible. Why bother if your heart isn't in it.

And you are also correct, the Bruins were not nearly half as physical as they could have been, I actually wonder if the league's warning cut the nut-sack off of Boston or, to be quite honest, if the Bruins themselves felt a fear for their safety if they had brought their "A" game from Buffalo fans after the Lucic/Miller incident. Who knows really, but Boston "gave" Buffalo a point in this one for sure.

And then there is the constant opportunities that are blown when it comes to Buffalo's forwards. I swear they do it on purposes.

So many scoring chances missed, just pathetic. And it's been happening for so long now.

Changes are needed, I am now also believing that both the GM and Coach should be gone at the end of the season. If you can't win that game, you don't deserve your job.

We only lost because of the shootout. We played with passion and heart, what more do you want? You guys are unbelievable...if we don't win by 5 goals you want new players, new coaches, new GM. They took on the best team in the NHL, the defending champs, a team that had won 9 in a row coming into the game, and we lost in a shootout. We're missing some players and we still almost won. Isn't it possible that you may be overreacting lust a bit? And yeah...they miss their scoring chances on purpose.

And I'm all for moral victories, but Kassian should have been called up to deal with Lucic. Big error by the Sabres in not doing so.

So we should have called up a guy for 1 game to deal with a player who we will see 4 more times? I couldn't agree with anything you just said if I had a gun to my head, its so wrong and potentially harmful to not only the development of Kassian but the Team as a whole its mind boggling. What happens when Kassian is not here? and some one challenges a Sabre? They just going to roll over and die because Kassian is in Rochester? This was a lesson this team had to learn for itself without Kassian getting his face beat in by Lucic (which is exactly what would have happened) :thumbdown:

This is a load of crap. With all the build up since the last Bruin game and to say this is ridiculous. If Gaustad wasn't pumped up for that moment than he is no longer capable of doing so. That fight was right behind not doing anything on the worst case scenario scale.

But he challenged him and they skated around each other taking swings that barely grazed each other!

When I saw the fight all I could think about is how embarrassing it was. Lucic was basically standing there and weither he held back because he was laughing hard at the attempt to fight, or he figured he could kill Gaustad and he might as well let him get it out of his system

The reaction after the hit later in the first was a bit better. Typical Bruins reaction though, hit a guy into the boards and we will all swarm you, and mcQuade will keep crosschecking you in the pile and punch from behind....

So we should have called up a guy for 1 game to deal with a player who we will see 4 more times? I couldn't agree with anything you just said if I had a gun to my head, its so wrong and potentially harmful to not only the development of Kassian but the Team as a whole its mind boggling. What happens when Kassian is not here? and some one challenges a Sabre? They just going to roll over and die because Kassian is in Rochester? This was a lesson this team had to learn for itself without Kassian getting his face beat in by Lucic (which is exactly what would have happened) :thumbdown:

Kassian has fought Lucic before and handled himself just fine. The Sabres don't have anyone on their current roster to deal with the Lucic's of the league. And yes, they could bring him up each time, if that's what needs to be done. Other teams haven't done to us what Boston did, so I believe Kassian should have gotten the call. JMHO. :thumbsup:

Boston played a great road game. They let the Sabres get their issues out of their system and then went out and won a hockey game. If Lucic never hits Miller and this was just another Wednesday night game, the Bruins probably win going away.

There is a real disparity between the Bruins and Sabres that I doubt any trade deadline acquisition can fix. There has to be philosophical shift in upper management for this to happen. It has to start with Pegula. It is Pegula who should take the video of the first period and sit down with Ted Black and Regier and tell them he wants this every night for three periods.

respectfully disagree here...IF(ganted it is not a little if) one of the two critical needs can be met..light year jump.. because the physical grit guys who can bang when necessary this team needs will be available for resonable values. A top five defender(my first choice) and or a true one center plus the grit..

I was very impressed with Tropps physical play on the puck last night and Brennan, for the kid he is ,his game was very mature. Hecht made a huge difference in his first game...too bad that perfect pass from Vanek did not go...the game turned on it. (and Chara stopping Vanek from scoring in an open net while Thomas was looking for his jock/ a great backcheck) I think Hecht was rusty and forgot how quick Vanek makes things happen. Stafford, Tropp, Brennan, and others can learn form him. In that zone when going to the net your stick has to be on the ice.

We only lost because of the shootout. We played with passion and heart, what more do you want? You guys are unbelievable...if we don't win by 5 goals you want new players, new coaches, new GM. They took on the best team in the NHL, the defending champs, a team that had won 9 in a row coming into the game, and we lost in a shootout. We're missing some players and we still almost won. Isn't it possible that you may be overreacting lust a bit? And yeah...they miss their scoring chances on purpose.

I've advocated a new GM and Coach for years now, so to say my comments are unbelievable is laughable for sure. :death:

As for facing the Bruins, you are correct, they are the best team in the NHL and as such, my opinion was that Buffalo will not beat them with the current line up. So, what was your point again on my comment about changing the player configuration on the roster? :rolleyes:

May I be overreacting just a bit? Good question, but stating my opinion with a little "passion" (what you stated the team played with last night) isn't really an overraction.

I will always feel the way I do about the roster, coaching and management team until the product changes on the ice.

The definition of futility, as many have already pointed out on here, over and over and over again. And ya know something, those posters like DeLuca, they are correct, you can't get a different outcome with the same product every season, it is what it is I'm afraid.

Hang on a second. With all due respect, the mentality you are professing in your post is why we've cornered the market on mediocrity in recent years. "Hey, we played a great game and lost. I'm proud of our guys, and they almost pulled it out." Sounds like first-round exit language to me, honestly.

Fans here support the Sabres with blood, sweat, dollars, and, often times, tears. I've been a gut-wrenched follower since day one of season one. Just want one Cup, just ONE. There are many smart people on these posts who see that we're missing some key elements that are absolutely required for a strong run through the playoffs. Am I happy the Sabres found a reason to step up and exhibit the fortitude and physicality required to compete against Boston (as if not doing so was an option)? Yes, very much so. Do I also understand that with all the passion they could muster, the Sabres twice blew two-goal leads at home against a team you have to get through in the playoffs to contend for a Cup?

The true risk of overreaction is that we'd mistakenly think the Sabres could make a long run in the playoffs based on this very exciting game. On the contrary, it was evident the Sabres are still missing some key components needed to go far in the playoffs. I hate saying this as an eternal Buffalo fan, but Boston exemplifies the kind of team I would love to have right now. Even with their slow start, if we had the kind player chemistry, grit, and persistence that the Bruins have, you'd have to dig deep to find a negative post anywhere.

This game was a small example of what a playoff series against this Bruins team will look like. The sabres slowly losing players to injuries as the series goes forward mostly due to our small size compared to their size and physical play. We can't match up over 60 minutes with them physically never mind over a 7 game series.

The only guy we lost was Boyes and that was due to a freak thing where a Bruin fell on his leg, not "physical play." We matched them physically every step of the game, all the more impressive considering we were missing Myers, McCormick, Kaleta, and Weber. Just because there are no Sabres who can beat up Milan Lucic, that doesn't mean the Sabres weren't physical last night.

The only guy we lost was Boyes and that was due to a freak thing where a Bruin fell on his leg, not "physical play." We matched them physically every step of the game, all the more impressive considering we were missing Myers, McCormick, Kaleta, and Weber. Just because there are no Sabres who can beat up Milan Lucic, that doesn't mean the Sabres weren't physical last night.

+10

The boys played one helluva game, and honestly, it was a shootout loss, our boys equaled the hottest team in the league in all areas while missing some key pieces (Ennis, Kaleta, Myers, Weber, etc).

Am i upset we didn't end it in the shootout? of course, but we did answer the bell on literally every other occasion. That's about as good of a loss as you can take, because the margin of victory was so damn narrow.

The real question will be going forward, can our guys maintain that kind of intensity? I like to think yes, but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm also incredibly happy to have Hecht back in the lineup.

Ahhh, remember the days after the lockout when the NHL went to a speed and skill game and the Sabres were ready for it?

Those days seem like distant memories. The Canucks found out last summer that they aren't big enough to beat teams like Boston, a team not built on speed and skill. The Sabres are finding out the same.

The Canucks took Boston to 7 games and would have won if Luongo had been able to keep his S together. I love how everyone re-writes history to make it sound like Boston was an unstoppable force in the playoffs. Vancouver nearly beat them. So did Montreal.

I can't believe how many people embraced this terrible idea. He has about two months' worth of pro hockey experience and zero NHL experience. And you want to bring him up for one game to fight the toughest player in the league? Great idea. <_<

1. He'll lose. He's 20 years old and still getting bigger and stronger. He's no match for Lucic now. I doubt he's ever fought anyone like that. Let him get a few NHL fights under his belt before he has to take on the best fighter in the league.

2. The message to the rest of the team is apparently: "Hey guys, it's cool that you totally turtled when Lucic ran your goalie. We don't expect you to have backbone anyway. We'll bring in someone to do the dirty work for you." Shades of Stafford's "we have other guys for that" quote from a couple years ago. Again, the opposite of what we need.

Kassian has fought Lucic before and handled himself just fine. The Sabres don't have anyone on their current roster to deal with the Lucic's of the league. And yes, they could bring him up each time, if that's what needs to be done. Other teams haven't done to us what Boston did, so I believe Kassian should have gotten the call. JMHO. :thumbsup:

Which Kassian are you talking about?

Edit...sorry, didn't see the next page...

different Kassian

When your most physical guy is 5'5" tall in Gerbe ( with 8 hits ) you will not match up over 7 games ( if we last that long ) against a team like the Bruins. Sure we're missing some players but thats the reality of the N.H.L. and of the post season. Its a war of attrition and last man standing is often the bigger and most physical. IMO this Sabres squad will not go far in the playoffs with its current line-up. We are missing a few elements. Of course I could be wrong and thats fine. Its only my opinion. I'll still back the boys like I always have. It was a great game to watch and we were only a shootout goal away from defeating them. They are still the better team. Most everyone in the league would agree,the media agrees,the so called experts agree,many on this board agree. If you don't thats fine.

When your most physical guy is 5'5" tall in Gerbe ( with 8 hits ) you will not match up over 7 games ( if we last that long ) against a team like the Bruins. Sure we're missing some players but thats the reality of the N.H.L. and of the post season. Its a war of attrition and last man standing is often the bigger and most physical. IMO this Sabres squad will not go far in the playoffs with its current line-up. We are missing a few elements. Of course I could be wrong and thats fine. Its only my opinion. I'll still back the boys like I always have. It was a great game to watch and we were only a shootout goal away from defeating them. They are still the better team. Most everyone in the league would agree,the media agrees,the so called experts agree,many on this board agree. If you don't thats fine.

This is my biggest gripe about our "response" in this game. I loved Gerbe ... I'm a bit biased, but it was awesome to see him throwing his weight around. But I try to put myself in any other Sabres' shoes after that 65 minute perofrmance and say "Man, we really elevated our game physically and stood our ground" .... I just can't say that. Your 5 foot five munchkin showed up pysically for 60 minutes ... everybody else provided MAYBE 20 minutes of physical play. The Gaustad "fight" was an abomination of synthetic emotions. The Regehr fight was further proof that he should not really be dropping the gloves ever.

The only sign of hope I saw in the entire game was Gerbe, and then Gaustad responding to Gerbe getting hit. This game did nothing but confirm to me that this team does not know how to play a consistently physical game.

Ummm, no. ZACH Kassian has never fought Lucic. Matt Kassian (no relation) fought him in juniors.

Ugh. We need to pin this in a FAQ or something. <_<

Edit- I see I am late to the correction game here.

Archived