Buffalo vs. Boston (11/23/2011), 7:00pm

Corp000085

Wow, I must be the only person here that definitely did not walk out of there thinking "great effort". Did half the city turn this game off after the first period? 2 blown 2 goal leads and the physical style that got them those 2 goals disappeared half way through the game? I hope the Sabres are not as "satisfied" as the fans are but after hearing the post game, it sounds like they are. Ruff laughing after the game about the Lucic - Gaustad fight and not even addressing blowing another 2 goal lead at home?

I'm sorry but that Lucic V Gaustad fight was brutally staged and the Bruins barely gave Buffalo half of what they could have physically. Paul Hamilton and company are saying that Buffalo gave it everything they had? I swear to God, I must have been watching a different game.....When is blowing another 2 goal lead at home with all the motivation they had "a great effort"?

Spot on bro!!! These guys answered the bell in the first period and did what they had to do. Gaustad and Regehr were the men tonight, but after they outhit and outplayed Boston in the first period, these guys returned to the typical Sabres they are. When the hell are they gonna learn that you need to play for 60 minutes, not 20???? I also give Lucic props for fighting Gaustad and then playing hockey the rest of the night. He showed some respect tonight.

Spot on bro!!! These guys answered the bell in the first period and did what they had to do. Gaustad and Regehr were the men tonight, but after they outhit and outplayed Boston in the first period, these guys returned to the typical Sabres they are. When the hell are they gonna learn that you need to play for 60 minutes, not 20???? I also give Lucic props for fighting Gaustad and then playing hockey the rest of the night. He showed some respect tonight.

After his elbowing penalty, I didn't even notice him the rest of the night.

I kept wondering if I missed him getting an injury or a game misconduct.

Would someone finally tell Stafford that in a shootout, you might want to try something other than lazily cruising in on the goalie, making no moves, and shooting the puck directly into his pads? Every time I see him coming out there in a shootout I cringe. It's like a broken record. Better yet, if you're going to use him Lindy, have someone teach him some moves.

All I can say after finally getting to watch the Sabres/Bruins game is that the NESN announcers couldn't be more perfectly matched with the Bruins team. Utterly sickening. Punks, just like their team.

Other than that, it was a good, solid game. Glad to see Ehrhoff do something. Also glad to see rook TJ Brennan score, and Vanek just keeps on rolling. Wish we could have gotten two points. It's not possible to out-physical the Bruins but it is possible to get guys like Chara off the ice so we can get some things done. That tactic worked pretty well tonight so I'm glad.

No, they just need to start playing hard again. We know they can play that way, now. There is no excuse for the Lindy Ruff-style effete hockey.

No doubt Ruff said during the intermission, "okay, you made your point, boys, now let's get back to MY system..."

That's exactly the way it seemed. Blowing leads has become typical.

Excellent choice of words. The whole "answered teh bell" storyline is just a distraction. Something for the media to write about and the Sabres to use to deflect the real issues this team has.

This game had "MUST-FREAKING-WIN" all over it for it to mean anything other than being a mid-November game for the usual Sabres march toward mediocrity. Apparently, the Sabres thought it had "MUST-PUT-ON-SHOW-FOR-FIRST-PERIOD-EVEN-THOUGH-IT-MAY-HURT" and were happy with that. I'm sure the team psycho-therapist was glad this day has come and gone. On to more pressing issues, like, "where do I sit if I'm benched?"

This is the post of the year.

Couldn't agree more. Every fan who is chewing on the "gave it the old college try though didn't we" mentality are only fooling themselves in my most humble opinion.

This team still is unable to compete for the CUP. It really is that simple at the end of the day.

The staged fight by Goose and Lucic was just horrible. Why bother if your heart isn't in it.

And you are also correct, the Bruins were not nearly half as physical as they could have been, I actually wonder if the league's warning cut the nut-sack off of Boston or, to be quite honest, if the Bruins themselves felt a fear for their safety if they had brought their "A" game from Buffalo fans after the Lucic/Miller incident. Who knows really, but Boston "gave" Buffalo a point in this one for sure.

And then there is the constant opportunities that are blown when it comes to Buffalo's forwards. I swear they do it on purposes.

So many scoring chances missed, just pathetic. And it's been happening for so long now.

Changes are needed, I am now also believing that both the GM and Coach should be gone at the end of the season. If you can't win that game, you don't deserve your job.

The staged fight by Goose and Lucic was just horrible. Why bother if your heart isn't in it.

You have no clue at all and continue to prove it with pretty much every post that you spew out.........Goose was fighting someone who can really hurt you if you don't be careful........That is why the fight looked the way it did and not to mention it was at the start of the game, if it was midway through the first I am sure that it would have had a lot more emotion then it did.

Generalized notes,

Regher isnt a game changer as perhaps in the Calgary sense as I thought.

Reggie and Grags are elite AHLers.

Brennan looked good considering all, keep him up until further notice.

The Leino, Boyes, Hecht mold of players are just blah, play with some character please.

Enroth is keeping Sabres in from being blown out nightly. way too much of a safety net for this defense.

Thomas played out of his mind, again.

All I want for Christmas is for Gerbe to grow a foot taller.

Is Andrew Peters available?

Happy Thanksgiving all!

The Sabres played a half of game like most teams in the NHL play every night. And what happened? They played physical and was rewarded with a 2 goal lead. Once they felt their job was done they let the Bruins right back into the game and ended up losing.

Playing a portion of one game like most teams play every night is not "answering the bell" as some are claiming. This team has a long way to go. I fully expect this team to play as they have been and sweep their physicality deficiencies under the rug. As was said previously, this team will not become as physical as it needs until Regier and Ruff make it a priority, which we know they won't.

If Terry Pegula is all about the fans as many have said, it is up to him to force a change in the quality of product. If this entire Bruins debacle has proven one thing it is that fans are dieing for a team that they can get behind and be proud of. A physical team that plays hard every night. Not a team that has to be embarrassed into being physical and even when they did it was for only a period and a half.

You have no clue at all and continue to prove it with pretty much every post that you spew out.........Goose was fighting someone who can really hurt you if you don't be careful........That is why the fight looked the way it did and not to mention it was at the start of the game, if it was midway through the first I am sure that it would have had a lot more emotion then it did.

Ok mr. hockey knowledge, I now have a clue thanks to your class on hockey fights.... :rolleyes:

I think you believe your own garbage.... :blink:

This is a load of crap. With all the build up since the last Bruin game and to say this is ridiculous. If Gaustad wasn't pumped up for that moment than he is no longer capable of doing so. That fight was right behind not doing anything on the worst case scenario scale.

Generalized notes,

Regher isnt a game changer as perhaps in the Calgary sense as I thought.

Reggie and Grags are elite AHLers.

Brennan looked good considering all, keep him up until further notice.

The Leino, Boyes, Hecht mold of players are just blah, play with some character please.

Enroth is keeping Sabres in from being blown out nightly. way too much of a safety net for this defense.

Thomas played out of his mind, again.

All I want for Christmas is for Gerbe to grow a foot taller.

Is Andrew Peters available?

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I like Regehr, think he is rugged to play against, great in his own zone, smart with the puck, but from what I have seen he can't fight. I give him a ton of credit for trying but he stinks as a fighter. He needs to get with Rob Ray and learn how to fight.

Nobody seems to be mentioning Thomas Vanek post-game but he deserves props. He played like a leader out there. He was physical, didn't back down, stayed in dirty areas knowing the game could get nasty, and was an offensive force. TV and Gerbe really showed up last night. Stafford had his best game of the season but didn't make anything out of it. I thought Hecht looked good. Regehr and Brennan played well. I felt like the rest of the team played an inspired 1st period but went back to their usual play for most of the second and third. If ever there was a game that should've been balls out for 60 minutes, you;d think it would've been this one.

Last night was a measuring stick. They gave Boston what they had and came up short. And Boston did NOT play with the same intensity Buffalo played with, in the 1st period anyway. If Boston plays with Buffalo's 1st period intensity I expect we never have a 2 goal lead. I'm glad they came out playing intense. I'm not surprised most of the team couldn't sustain it. I hope Darcy uses the 2nd and 3rd period film when trade deadline moves are considered.

And I am glad this Lucic garbage can be put aside now. It was getting fuggin weird around here.

Nobody seems to be mentioning Thomas Vanek post-game but he deserves props. He played like a leader out there. He was physical, didn't back down, stayed in dirty areas knowing the game could get nasty, and was an offensive force. TV and Gerbe really showed up last night. Stafford had his best game of the season but didn't make anything out of it. I thought Hecht looked good. Regehr and Brennan played well. I felt like the rest of the team played an inspired 1st period but went back to their usual play for most of the second and third. If ever there was a game that should've been balls out for 60 minutes, you;d think it would've been this one.

Last night was a measuring stick. They gave Boston what they had and came up short. And Boston did NOT play with the same intensity Buffalo played with, in the 1st period anyway. If Boston plays with Buffalo's 1st period intensity I expect we never have a 2 goal lead. I'm glad they came out playing intense. I'm not surprised most of the team couldn't sustain it. I hope Darcy uses the 2nd and 3rd period film when trade deadline moves are considered.

And I am glad this Lucic garbage can be put aside now. It was getting fuggin weird around here.

Boston played a great road game. They let the Sabres get their issues out of their system and then went out and won a hockey game. If Lucic never hits Miller and this was just another Wednesday night game, the Bruins probably win going away.

There is a real disparity between the Bruins and Sabres that I doubt any trade deadline acquisition can fix. There has to be philosophical shift in upper management for this to happen. It has to start with Pegula. It is Pegula who should take the video of the first period and sit down with Ted Black and Regier and tell them he wants this every night for three periods.

Boston played a great road game. They let the Sabres get their issues out of their system and then went out and won a hockey game. If Lucic never hits Miller and this was just another Wednesday night game, the Bruins probably win going away.

There is a real disparity between the Bruins and Sabres that I doubt any trade deadline acquisition can fix. There has to be philosophical shift in upper management for this to happen. It has to start with Pegula. It is Pegula who should take the video of the first period and sit down with Ted Black and Regier and tell them he wants this every night for three periods.

"Boston played a great road game" is an excellent point. They certainly weren't going to feed the emotion in Buffalo any more than they had to. It's too bad that all they had to do was wait Buffalo out. Like I said, if ever there was a game that should've been played balls out for 60 minutes........ The 20 minutes was nice though. <_<

I don't think it would take much to drop the disparity to a competitive level. It'll certainly require the acquisition of a top 6 player or two that plays win at all costs hockey. And those are tough to pry from other teams. And another center is still on my Christmas wish list. Preferably one with more size and tenacity than Derek Roy offers. Yes, that's more than you can reasonably expect to obtain in-season.

Problem is, they use that first period as a reason not to make changes. They see that first period and say, we can beat these guys.

You know I think you overate toughness and physicality but I do think that untill they come up with another top 6 guy who comes through in games like this, they fall short. Roy just continues to come up small when they need him most.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Problem is, they use that first period as a reason not to make changes. They see that first period and say, we can beat these guys.

You know I think you overate toughness and physicality but I do think that untill they come up with another top 6 guy who comes through in games like this, they fall short. Roy just continues to come up small when they need him most.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

You can not deny that the emotion on the ice and in the crowd caused by the physical play is intoxicating. The only reason the Sabres had a lead was because they initiated the physical contact. They initiated and were rewarded. As soon as they stopped the gave up the lead. There is more that comes with physical play and toughness that than just hitting stats. Tougher physical teams tend to be, IMO, more confident teams and mentally tougher.

I would love another top six forward as well. I don't look at as either/or. Get tougher and more physical and add talent to the top of the roster. With a little luck maybe Boyes ends up on long term IR and the Sabres can use that cap space to help bring in a top six forward.

Archived