Buffalo vs. Boston (11/23/2011), 7:00pm

Corp000085

Actually, I disagree. They did answer it. They lost in a shootout which has nothing to do with physical play.

Agree. They didn't finish on their chances (or Thomas stood on his head, take your pick), but they were just as physical as Boston.

Can't complain too much about the loss. They played great overall and lost to the SC Champions, who are on fire right now.

Actually, I disagree. They did answer it. They lost in a shootout which has nothing to do with physical play.

Bah, phones, hang on....

The "physical play" was put away after the first. They needed to keep it up all game to win.

They lost, again, at home. As far as I am concerned, they answered nothing.

I think it was Roy's turn to step up to the plate, seeing how he had a penalty that was scored on. And whatever happened to Stafford? He looks like he did three years ago, clueless. I'm not a huge fan of either of these two. :wallbash:

Actually, Stafford was excellent tonight, if you watched the game.

If they play the style they played in the first, absolutely. The second and third, eh, maybe.

I didn't think the second was bad, but the mid third was brutal from both teams.

It's hard to sustain play like we did in the first. Fortunately it worked and gave us two goals. If we can come out every game and get an early lead, our chances greatly increase.

What tough pill to swallow. I really liked the way the Sabres played. They played hard, they played physical. I thought they played well in the first and the third (except for the Chara goal which went off I think Horton). But, they let the Bruins get back in the game in the second. They have to learn how to close out games, especially at home. This has been a problem for this team. It's tough because I liked the way the Sabres played.

Key thing I noticed was that the Sabres lost a ton of faceoffs and overall lost the faceoff battle tonight.

Also, this game cannot be blamed on the refs, but there were some really questionable calls. I thought the Sabres got called on some bad ones, the Bruins got away with a bunch, but I will even say the call on Lucic in the first on Pominville was a bad call, too. Not a very well officiated game in my opinion.

Stafford played extremely well tonight and played really hard. He just didn't score tonight, but he played a really good game and dropped the gloves (unnecessarily since he did nothing wrong) and I think won the fight against Ference.

Speaking of fights, it appears to me that the Sabres may have come up with a strategy against Boston, which is draw Chara into a fight and draw as many penalties as you can when he's in the box because their PK is horrid without Chara. You just have to find a willing combatant who is willing to get his face absolutely demolished or is willing to drop the gloves and then immediately fall down to end the fight so that Chara doesn't seriously hurt someone.

Oh well, disappointing way to finish a pretty good game, but they did get a loser point out of tonight.

I didn't think the second was bad, but the mid third was brutal from both teams.

It's hard to sustain play like we did in the first. Fortunately it worked and gave us two goals. If we can come out every game and get an early lead, our chances greatly increase.

Well, you'd think so anyway. Ever since that playoff series against the Bruins, a 2-0 lead against a solid team generally translates to "well I hope they win the shootout".

Maybe it's selective memory, but I swear this team gives up more 2 goal leads than any other...

What tough pill to swallow. I really liked the way the Sabres played. They played hard, they played physical. I thought they played well in the first and the third (except for the Chara goal which went off I think Horton). But, they let the Bruins get back in the game in the second. They have to learn how to close out games, especially at home. This has been a problem for this team. It's tough because I liked the way the Sabres played.

Key thing I noticed was that the Sabres lost a ton of faceoffs and overall lost the faceoff battle tonight.

Also, this game cannot be blamed on the refs, but there were some really questionable calls. I thought the Sabres got called on some bad ones, the Bruins got away with a bunch, but I will even say the call on Lucic in the first on Pominville was a bad call, too. Not a very well officiated game in my opinion.

Stafford played extremely well tonight and played really hard. He just didn't score tonight, but he played a really good game and dropped the gloves (unnecessarily since he did nothing wrong) and I think won the fight against Ference.

Speaking of fights, it appears to me that the Sabres may have come up with a strategy against Boston, which is draw Chara into a fight and draw as many penalties as you can when he's in the box because their PK is horrid without Chara. You just have to find a willing combatant who is willing to get his face absolutely demolished or is willing to drop the gloves and then immediately fall down to end the fight so that Chara doesn't seriously hurt someone.

Oh well, disappointing way to finish a pretty good game, but they did get a loser point out of tonight.

Interesting points and I agree. I think this team has what it takes to beat the B's in 7, we just need to continue playing every team like we played them tonight.

So, the big "Game Of The Year" has just been played for the Sabres.

My take, as I watched the game:

Hard fought battle for the Sabres, but to be honest, Boston wasn't nearly as physical as they could have been.

It appears to me, in any event, the league warning worked in Buffalo's favor.

Goose fighting Lucic, not nearly enough. It was almost anti-climatic in it's inception. And only one go around.

Enough of a response? I think not, just to "staged" to me. But, this is hockey, not fighting.

Penalty calls: Buffalo's favor for sure, and even with them, they couldn't finish the job, not good, not good at all considering.

The good out of this is what it always has been with this "core" roster. Golden opportunities to put the game away but unable to finish around the net. I just do not understand it. We, as fans, are not asking for even a 50% or 40% ratio, but come on man. A 25% ratio on chances around the net is more than reasonable to ask for. Something isn't right with these boys, and that doesn't mean you advocate trading someone. But honestly, they may actually be gripping the sticks to tight.

The 2 - 0/3 - 1 lead and subsequently, blowing those leads, just unacceptable. But once again, no individual to put the blame on, sometimes a spade is just that, a spade.

Overall forward performance: They showed up, they played hard, but, they didn't finish, cost us a point, and against a division rival in a tightly contested division race.....UNACCEPTABLE AT HOME.

Overall defense perfornace: Not bad actually. No major gaffes, a few failures to clear when they had the chance but overall, decent enough.

Overall goaltender perforance: Enroth was very good, wish he could have stopped the Marchand shot, but, that is how the cookie crumbles.

In the end, the Sabres answered the bell and showed up to play what I consider one of the better hockey games I've seen this season. But, to be considered a contender, they have to find a way to win that game at home no less.

Changes are definitely needed, and not roster over-hauling either. They need to make the moves necessary to become more successful on the competitive end with regards to finishing in my opinion.

I'd like to know your thoughts on the games aftermath and what you feel can be done to get the ship righted for more success.

Thanks.

Well, you'd think so anyway. Ever since that playoff series against the Bruins, a 2-0 lead against a solid team generally translates to "well I hope they win the shootout".

Maybe it's selective memory, but I swear this team gives up more 2 goal leads than any other...

That was a pretty common belief last year, which I attribute to chance more or less, but it's still funny. Either way, I think it's hard to argue that taking an early lead is a bad thing. No matter what team you are, you like that early cushion.

I hope Boyes isn't hurt too bad. The way his knee bent inward didn't look promising.

Me too. It looked really bad. Often times when I have seen that type of thing happen, it turns out to be a broken tibia or a fracture of some sort in the leg. I don't think it was his knee, but if it was his knee, then it looked really bad. I'm hoping for the best.

The Sabres are really going into a tough stretch with Kaleta hurt, Ennis hurt, Myers hurt, Weber hurt, and it appears Boyes may be gone for some time. Even though Hecht is back, one hit and there could be issues.

Speaking of hits to the head, did anyone see I think it was Krejci on Ehrhoff at the end of the third period come in with a flying elbow to the head of Ehrhoff? I anticipate Shanahan will do nothing as he seems to have an issue with the Sabres, but that was a hit to the head and it wasn't even called a penalty on the ice.

That was a pretty common belief last year, which I attribute to chance more or less, but it's still funny. Either way, I think it's hard to argue that taking an early lead is a bad thing. No matter what team you are, you like that early cushion.

Oh yeah, of course you want the early lead. I guess I'm still waiting for the offense to really flex their muscles.

Archived