Patrick Kaleta

dudacek

Well, Boyes and Hecht are both probably gone after this year, so the youngsters will need to fill those slots first (although Daddy Warbucks will probably spring for another good UFA forward).

I think Kaleta will have a good year and will be back next year.

How much are Boyes+Hecht+Kaleta costing, and how much would it cost to add Parise and bring up Kassian and Foligno?

I know there's some numbers people on here!

I wasn't the type to do homework. I just showed up and aced the tests.

Here's the homework: 8.5 Mil come off with Hecht, Boyes, and Kaleta. ~4 million of that goes to Tyler Myers, and probably 2.5-3 million of it goes to Tyler Ennis. Barring a massive salary dump, Parise isn't coming in. Plus, this is "Hockey Heaven." No salary will be dumped (who would they trade, the 5.3 mil a year captain who has a modified NTC?). I bet Gerbe scores more goals than Parise this year anyways :lol:

EDIT: Gaustad's deal ends too, but he'll be back in blue 'n gold next year, I believe.

I disagree. I think he is gone after this season. If Foligno, Tropp, or Kassian has a good season this year, they will move up and Kaleta will move on.

there are enough people that will probably disappear to give those guys a shot. He'll be about for a while, fan favourite.

• 8 months later...

My opinion is slowing but surely changing on PK. I loved his early game, but lately injuries and team talent has me wondering if he is the right fit anymore. I won't be unhappy if they extend him and I won't be unhappy if they cut him loose. Guess I'm hoping that talent in the minors can push him out.

My opinion is slowing but surely changing on PK. I loved his early game, but lately injuries and team talent has me wondering if he is the right fit anymore. I won't be unhappy if they extend him and I won't be unhappy if they cut him loose. Guess I'm hoping that talent in the minors can push him out.

I like him, but he's redundant. If they can put a 15 point-per-season player in his roster spot, it's a good move.

I like him, but he's redundant. If they can put a 15 point-per-season player in his roster spot, it's a good move.

I'm actually curious to see just how much Ott's presence will open things up for him. Refs and opposition can't focus on him as much when they have to look the other way as well. It could be interesting.

I'm actually curious to see just how much Ott's presence will open things up for him. Refs and opposition can't focus on him as much when they have to look the other way as well. It could be interesting.

You know, If Tropp, McCormick, Kaleta, Ott, Foligno, Scott, and to some degree Gerbe can share the sandpaper it might be a more entertaining environment at FNC.

You know, If Tropp, McCormick, Kaleta, Ott, Foligno, Scott, and to some degree Gerbe can share the sandpaper it might be a more entertaining environment at FNC.

That's what I've been thinking. Add McNabb to that (and hopefully a new, bruising top-nine forward.)

I agree. The team hasn't been hard to play against. That's why I won't be too unhappy if Tropp or Ott is on the Vanek-Hodgson line and why I'd like to see Weber and McNabb in the top 6 on D in lieu of Sulzer and either Leopold or Sekera.

If the lineup is:

Hodgson-Vanek-Ott

Ennis-Stafford-Foligno

Griggy-Leino-Pommer

McCormick-Kaleta-Gerbe

Myers-Regehr

Ehrhoff-McNabb

Sekera-Weber

The Sabres start to look like a fairly respectable team in terms of toughness.

I don't see how Kaleta is redundant. We lacked toughness and Kaleta was one of the few that had any. I don't see Ott as being that much if any tougher then him. Ott is more talented but if we drop Patty just cause we got Ott then we aren't really adding any toughness just replacing some

I agree. The team hasn't been hard to play against. That's why I won't be too unhappy if Tropp or Ott is on the Vanek-Hodgson line and why I'd like to see Weber and McNabb in the top 6 on D in lieu of Sulzer and either Leopold or Sekera.

If the lineup is:

Hodgson-Vanek-Ott

Ennis-Stafford-Foligno

Griggy-Leino-Pommer

McCormick-Kaleta-Gerbe

Myers-Regehr

Ehrhoff-McNabb

Sekera-Weber

In place of Sulzer, fine. Maybe McNabb is ready to take over for Leopold if he's moved out. Weber shouldn't be in over anybody at this juncture unless he is great in preseason, he was terrible last year. And neither McNabb nor Weber should be in over Sekera, who was our best defender (as in playing defense, not point production) last year. Toughness be damned, Sekera is a significantly better player than either McNabb or Weber at this point.

I don't see how Kaleta is redundant. We lacked toughness and Kaleta was one of the few that had any. I don't see Ott as being that much if any tougher then him. Ott is more talented but if we drop Patty just cause we got Ott then we aren't really adding any toughness just replacing some

Agree completely. We should use both.

In place of Sulzer, fine. Maybe McNabb is ready to take over for Leopold if he's moved out. Weber shouldn't be in over anybody at this juncture unless he is great in preseason, he was terrible last year. And neither McNabb nor Weber should be in over Sekera, who was our best defender (as in playing defense, not point production) last year. Toughness be damned, Sekera is a significantly better player than either McNabb or Weber at this point.

Well, I don't agree that Reggie was the best defender last year. I think both Regehr and Myers were better.

In any case, though, I am not advocating by any stretch that Reggie or Leopold be benched -- only that if a trade is to happen, they are the most logical candidates among the defensemen to be traded. I like Sekera and agree that he is well ahead of Weber and McNabb at this point. I will say that I thought Reggie's defensive zone play improved last year, but I thought his offensive game took a step back.

Well, I don't agree that Reggie was the best defender last year. I think both Regehr and Myers were better.

In any case, though, I am not advocating by any stretch that Reggie or Leopold be benched -- only that if a trade is to happen, they are the most logical candidates among the defensemen to be traded. I like Sekera and agree that he is well ahead of Weber and McNabb at this point. I will say that I thought Reggie's defensive zone play improved last year, but I thought his offensive game took a step back.

I have a post floating around with some stats that I'm too lazy to re-do, but the basic summary was this: he was used in a shut-down role, and excelled at it. Only Regehr consistently faced tougher competition and had more defensive zone starts, yet even given that, Sekera had the best relative Corsi among defenders at even strength. His offensive game definitely took a step back, but I think that was more due to a role shift than player regression. His all-around game may not have been as impactful as Myers or Ehrhoff, but I think in the shut-down role he was even better than Regehr.

I have a post floating around with some stats that I'm too lazy to re-do, but the basic summary was this: he was used in a shut-down role, and excelled at it. Only Regehr consistently faced tougher competition and had more defensive zone starts, yet even given that, Sekera had the best relative Corsi among defenders at even strength. His offensive game definitely took a step back, but I think that was more due to a role shift than player regression. His all-around game may not have been as impactful as Myers or Ehrhoff, but I think in the shut-down role he was even better than Regehr.

i think Kaleta is the type of 3/4 line depth guy you want because he gives you so many options and he is able to chip in on the offense because he skates so well. Id like to lock him up for 3-5 years because I think he brings more than just hits.

i think Kaleta is the type of 3/4 line depth guy you want because he gives you so many options and he is able to chip in on the offense because he skates so well. Id like to lock him up for 3-5 years because I think he brings more than just hits.

Kaleta is worth a spot just for his PK game alone, if he can stay healthy. I don't think he should blow the curve with a contract, but he is worth resigning.

If the lineup is:

Hodgson-Vanek-Ott

Ennis-Stafford-Foligno

Griggy-Leino-Pommer

McCormick-Kaleta-Gerbe

Myers-Regehr

Ehrhoff-McNabb

Sekera-Weber

Two problems with that.

1) Regehr isn't a top 2 defensmen anymore, his getting old and hasn't got the legs.

2) Tried that last year and they just didn't work as a tandem, infact Myers plays his best when on a like with Sekera. Ehrhoff and Sulzer also played exceptionally well together. McNabb may have 'potential' but his proven little, I say keep him bottom pairing with Regehr as a shutdown line.

Archived