Patrick Kaleta

dudacek

Has anyone else noticed how our super pest seems to have toned down his act so far this year?

I haven't been paying a ton of attention to him, but I think he has yet to run anyone through the arena wall.

And the angry mobs that usually follow in his wake have been relatively quiet.

I see he's one of just two minuses on the squad, but I don't recall any glaring errors.

He has been forechecking hard and seems to be taking his penalty killing role seriously.

Do you think awareness of the Shannish Inquisition and a desire to elevate himself to be a more mature player

(maybe filling the role of Mike Grier) has inspired him to transform his game?

And, if so, what do think of the results?

It's probably a bunch of things that have made Kaleta change up his game.......He has shown in the past few years a chance of becoming a good penalty killer, but always ends up missing time due to injury and other guys absorb that role.......I hope he can continue to hone his game and grow as a player, it will keep him in the NHL a lot longer even if it isn't with Buffalo.

If I was Kaleta I would realize that my position in the lineup is in jeopardy. There are young guns pushing hard for my spot. I better show my value or I'm going to loose my roster spot. I can't do that if I'm hurt. Oh and Mr. Shanahan is ruining my game.

He did take one hilarious run at someone (forget who) at the blue line in Pittsburgh. Missed by about four feet, probably fortunately so.

My guess is either coaching staff has had a sit down with him, or he figured out on his own, that his act wasn't goon to keep him in a job much longer. If he continues to behave and contributes, then good on him.

I can't see him being around, at least in a Sabres sweater, much past this season though. There are too many younger, more talented guys chomping at the bit...

Kaleta is a marked man with NHL disciplinary folks and would be considered a repeat offender. he is biding his time and playing it a little cautious til they sort out what is acceptable.

It's been long enough since his last suspension that he has lost his repeat offender status.

he is picking his spots more though.

He did take one hilarious run at someone (forget who) at the blue line in Pittsburgh. Missed by about four feet, probably fortunately so.

My guess is either coaching staff has had a sit down with him, or he figured out on his own, that his act wasn't goon to keep him in a job much longer. If he continues to behave and contributes, then good on him.

I can't see him being around, at least in a Sabres sweater, much past this season though. There are too many younger, more talented guys chomping at the bit...

Right. He missed a guy by 4 feet. He didn't peel off or anything. If it's the one I'm thinking of, he had the guy in his sights and obviously decided not to hit him because they guy never touched the puck.

Right. He missed a guy by 4 feet. He didn't peel off or anything. If it's the one I'm thinking of, he had the guy in his sights and obviously decided not to hit him because they guy never touched the puck.

That's what I recall - he saw that a hit there would be illegal and he didn't do it. Smart play on his part. I think he knows he has to pay attention to that 1/2 second rule. He used to go a little bit past that with some of his hits.

Someone pointed it out on another board and after watching more closely I saw it a couple times. Instances in the past were Kaleta would take the borderline late hit... he's now pulling up, but letting the guy know he could have pasted him if he wanted to. A little tap on the leg, quick stops, etc...Not a bad thing,because it looks like opponents are still rushing hte puck if they know he's coming. But, he's going to have to make one of those hits occassionally to keep guys guessing.

Kaleta is a marked man with NHL disciplinary folks and would be considered a repeat offender. he is biding his time and playing it a little cautious til they sort out what is acceptable.

Not quite accurate.

Kaleta's last and only suspension was Nov 28, 2009, so it has been over 18 months.

If for some reason he was suspended, this should not be a factor.

He's a much cleaner player than Brad Boyes. ;)

edit: spndnchz had it already. :thumbsup:

Someone pointed it out on another board and after watching more closely I saw it a couple times. Instances in the past were Kaleta would take the borderline late hit... he's now pulling up, but letting the guy know he could have pasted him if he wanted to. A little tap on the leg, quick stops, etc...Not a bad thing,because it looks like opponents are still rushing hte puck if they know he's coming. But, he's going to have to make one of those hits occassionally to keep guys guessing.

That's why you will see him crash into the glass near a guy sometimes - too late to hit them, but letting them know that next time it will be their teeth rattling instead of the glass.

Kaleta is leading all the forwards on PK time.. he'll be around with the Sabres longer than just past this season.. as long as he stays out of trouble and the physio's office

Kaleta is leading all the forwards on PK time.. he'll be around with the Sabres longer than just past this season.. as long as he stays out of trouble and the physio's office

I disagree. I think he is gone after this season. If Foligno, Tropp, or Kassian has a good season this year, they will move up and Kaleta will move on.

I disagree. I think he is gone after this season. If Foligno, Tropp, or Kassian has a good season this year, they will move up and Kaleta will move on.

Well, Boyes and Hecht are both probably gone after this year, so the youngsters will need to fill those slots first (although Daddy Warbucks will probably spring for another good UFA forward).

I think Kaleta will have a good year and will be back next year.

Archived